HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Viewing (Providers, HD, Online, Etc)

Old
09-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Blueshirts4me

vCash: 500
All Things Viewing (Providers, HD, Online, Etc)

After years of Cablevision withholding their HD channels from their competitors -- the FCC ruled today that they must offer it in the next 30 days.

Quote:
The FCC today has ruled that a pair of high-definition regional sports channels operated by Cablevision’s Madison Square Garden network must be offered to Verizon’s FiOS and AT&T’s U-Verse video services. The move comes after a complaint was filed in July that said MSG refused to sell the formats — which Cablevision carries in its stable of offerings — in the greater New York region, thereby hindering competition. “By directing Cablevision and MSG to make their high-definition programming available within 30 days, the decision promises to give consumers in New York and New Jersey a choice to obtain the sports programming they want,” Verizon SVP and deputy general counsel Mike Glover said in a statement from Verizon announcing the ruling. Verizon also had to petition the FCC to allow it access to standard-definition versions of the channels in 2006.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/fcc-...s-hd-channels/

Blueshirts4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:44 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
FINALLY. This should have been resolved a few months back.

About ******* time.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:49 PM
MeltingPlastic

nice! now to get them to be able to show msg network in the philly area on fios... why did i move

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:51 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I have to go change my pants...

Blueshirts4me, a big THANK YOU for sharing this information here and notifying everyone who was hopeless that FiOS would ever get the HD feed... Best news I've heard in a long time....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:54 PM
NYRKING30

Yesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!...finallyyyyyyyy

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:59 PM
azrok22

Wouldn't count our chickens yet. Cablevision will certainly appeal, and a stay will likely be granted. Still, yet another step in the right direction.

EDIT: In fact, the article has been updated to indicate that Cablevision intends to appeal (although it was a given).

Double EDIT: Cablevision, not Comcast.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:59 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

THANK YOU for the update. I was just giving some serious thought to switching to Time Warner,now i won't have to.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Thank you FCC.

Going to switch asap.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

As far as I understand, all FiOS subscribers have the same station numbers, so if anyone finds out what channel MSG HD will be, please post it in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Wouldn't count our chickens yet. Cablevision will certainly appeal, and a stay will likely be granted. Still, yet another step in the right direction.

EDIT: In fact, the article has been updated to indicate that Cablevision intends to appeal (although it was a given).

Double EDIT: Cablevision, not Comcast.
We'll already have been given access to the HD feeds before the appeals process could even play out, which could take a long time... I really can't imagine an appeals court reversing the ruling and mandating that our cable companies thereby remove the HD feeds after we've already been granted access to them by this recent ruling... I'm pretty comfortable we'll have it from this point forward with no interruptions.

Old
09-22-2011, 07:11 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

this is a good day. in 30 days im calling up crappy time warner and telling them to stick it where the sun don't shine - can't wait!

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:13 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
this is a good day. in 30 days im calling up crappy time warner and telling them to stick it where the sun don't shine - can't wait!
You will really enjoy FiOS... Make sure you get the new 500 GB multi-room DVR that was just released and also grab the Mobile DVR app for your smartphone (if you have one)

Old
09-22-2011, 07:14 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
As far as I understand, all FiOS subscribers have the same station numbers, so if anyone finds out what channel MSG HD will be, please post it in this thread.

We'll already have been given access to the HD feeds before the appeals process could even play out, which could take a long time... I really can't imagine an appeals court reversing the ruling and mandating that our cable companies thereby remove the HD feeds after we've already been granted access to them by this recent ruling... I'm pretty comfortable we'll have it from this point forward with no interruptions.
A stay doesn't go into place once an appeals court rules. It would go into place until the appeals court rules. I'd expect a stay of the FCC order to be issued before the end of next week (if not tomorrow).

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:17 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Cablevision crying about the ruling!

Quote:
"Today's disappointing rulings do not appear to be based on the facts," said Cablevision in a statement. "The data clearly demonstrates that there has been no competitive harm to the nation's two largest phone companies as a result of not having two HD channels they already receive in SD. New York is the most competitive market in the country and this decision only hurts fair competition and consumers. Instead of competing on the merits in the marketplace, Verizon and AT&T are manipulating federal law to gain an unfair advantage and we have every intention of pursuing relief in the courts."

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...hp?rssid=20065

Old
09-22-2011, 07:27 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
You will really enjoy FiOS... Make sure you get the new 500 GB multi-room DVR that was just released and also grab the Mobile DVR app for your smartphone (if you have one)
I'm all over that - can't wait!

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:29 PM
UAGoalieGuy

I'm switching to verizon on October 5th. Just bought a house in an area that has FIOS. Great news!

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:35 PM
SRTtoZ

Finally...!!! I had to go all last year without MSG HD but it was wayyy worth it becauuse Fios is 1000x better than TW or Cablevision in every single way.

Now Fios is the definitive service.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:42 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Cablevision crying about the ruling!

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...hp?rssid=20065

But depriving competitors access to an HD channel that you happen to own clearly doesn't stifle competition, right, Dolan? I can't believe Cablevision is arguing that there has been no competitive harm. Personally, I know tons of NY sports fans that have refused to switch to FIOS because they don't carry MSGHD, and for that reason alone. Tons of posters on these boards have complained about it as well.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:43 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

This is good news, but until I actually see it happen I think this will just continue to drag out. Step in the right direction. Right now I have Uverse for everything, but I still have my basic DTV service + the sports package that I suspend for non hockey months then activate just to watch the NYR in HD.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:48 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Today, is a good day, for all New Yorkers and lovers of the Rangers and Knicks (also the Devils and Islanders, but who cares about them)

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:09 PM
NYRangers16

Fios is worth it even without MSGHD - it's that good. With HD, it's ridiculously awesome. I'm excited!

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:19 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Now if they can just come to an agreement with Dish so I can see Rangers games on TV... le sigh.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Hell ****ing yeah!

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Fios is worth it even without MSGHD - it's that good. With HD, it's ridiculously awesome. I'm excited!
It's at the very least head and shoulders above any other service I've had. Cablevision was awful in every conceivable way. Everything Fios did right, Cablevision is doing wrong.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:32 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

What next? 7 months of the appeal process which results in freezing the FCC ruling?

I have a feeling im gonna sign up for Fios only to have to switch back within the year.

Anyway, very good news as i have been waiting to switch my service for months. I just hope it sticks and the change is made for good. I will have a Verizon technician out here very soon.

Besides, Cablevision jacked my rate up twice since I bought my house.

EDIT- Then again, maybe not - Fios doesnt offer hsi in my area, ****

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 09-22-2011 at 08:45 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 09:30 PM
SRTtoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
What next? 7 months of the appeal process which results in freezing the FCC ruling?

I have a feeling im gonna sign up for Fios only to have to switch back within the year.

Anyway, very good news as i have been waiting to switch my service for months. I just hope it sticks and the change is made for good. I will have a Verizon technician out here very soon.

Besides, Cablevision jacked my rate up twice since I bought my house.

EDIT- Then again, maybe not - Fios doesnt offer hsi in my area, ****
Make sure you CALL them and ask...if you just checked the Fios website I wouldn't trust it because Ive had Fios for a year and it STILL says its not available in my area...yet im using it right now.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote