HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Lose First Pre-Season Game in OT

Old
09-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Yeah I don't think anyone wants him to be dropping the gloves all the time...it's just that for one he can defend himself/beat the crap out of players who go after him after he crunches someone with a hit, and two, if needed he can punch up players from the other team that decide they want to go running around on the Rangers

Of course you can debate whether that's useful or not, but in general it just helps give him the rep as a nasty guy you don't want to mess with

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
the funny thing about mcilrath is that with his size and strength, his best work will come when his gloves stay on and he isnt sitting in the box for 5 minutes.

once he learns to use that size and leverage to his advantage, he will have hunched over opposing forwards seeking the door to the bench. frequently.

sure he can fight, but do we really want him to ?

i think not.
yes, if need be.....i wanted him to fight yesterday so badly when whats his face jumped Avery.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah I don't think anyone wants him to be dropping the gloves all the time...it's just that for one he can defend himself/beat the crap out of players who go after him after he crunches someone with a hit, and two, if needed he can punch up players from the other team that decide they want to go running around on the Rangers

Of course you can debate whether that's useful or not, but in general it just helps give him the rep as a nasty guy you don't want to mess with
it sets a tone...a guy who can play regular minutes and pound the ever loving hell outta you...those guys are worth their weight in gold. thats why i HATE goons...they cant play regular minutes...but a guy like mcilrath, IF he can play regular minutes...should get into fights early and often...then ppl know not to screw around, because hes going to be out there, and he'll effing kill you.

Old
09-22-2011, 02:47 PM
The Mouth

Quote:
the funny thing about mcilrath is that with his size and strength, his best work will come when his gloves stay on and he isnt sitting in the box for 5 minutes.

once he learns to use that size and leverage to his advantage, he will have hunched over opposing forwards seeking the door to the bench. frequently.

i think not.
A glaring issue I saw with him in Traverse city was that as captain i think he felt he had to correct every injustice done to his players and wound up piling up a lot of minors and affecting his position game.

I thought he looked much better in this first pre-season game.

As far as fighting goes I much rather have opponents fearing going into his corner or in front of the net than throwing the dukes, but it is an added bonus.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
FWIW, the thread title is fine. If you haven't seen the game yet and are afraid of spoilers, you come to HF Rangers at your own risk. If there's a controversial incident, or an injury, should we not have an immediate thread because some may not have seen it? That's silly. If you taped the Super Bowl, and didn't want a spoiler, would you go to ESPN? Come on.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:48 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
FWIW, the thread title is fine. If you haven't seen the game yet and are afraid of spoilers, you come to HF Rangers at your own risk. If there's a controversial incident, or an injury, should we not have an immediate thread because some may not have seen it? That's silly. If you taped the Super Bowl, and didn't want a spoiler, would you go to ESPN? Come on.
i'd also suggest picking up a pair of these

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 04:01 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
As for the titles of my blog entry, it automatically comes over to this site, about 10 minutes after I post to the blog. I understand about DVRing and will attempt to not give away the outcome in the title. Let's see how that works.
Thanks. I do appreciate it.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 04:04 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm not sure why you are suggesting we change the prevailing consensus on this issue that has been in place here and supported by forum mods for the past several years. I definitely like to follow along in the GDT as I am watching the game on delay so that I can get insight on the game from other forum members' perspectives. I'm smart enough to avoid going to sites like ESPN or anywhere else the result might appear. Anyway, Leslie said she would take reasonable efforts to accommodate us so it's all good.

And comparing the SB to an 82 game regular season NHL schedule is just silly.

Old
09-22-2011, 04:55 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
GDT is stuck up at the top for at least 24 hours. Don't scroll down and read the rest of the topics if you're afraid of spoilers.

No protocol is changing. The blog entries being auto-posted to the forum is a recent development. HF Boards is not going to dictate editorial policy to HF writers. They can write their headlines as they see fit.

As you said, Leslie will do what she can to accommodate people. My main point is that people need to know there's a chance that they might see a "spoiler" should they choose to peruse the board before watching the game. Past practice is that GDT/PGT titles won't reflect a final score within 24 hours of the game's conclusion, and that's still the policy.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:35 PM
eco's bones

Just a personal point of view but on the occasions I have to miss games--I want to know the score as soon as possible--and usually I won't even watch a game that I know they've lost. No point in getting all pissed off.

No problem with Leslie's headlines.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Just a personal point of view but on the occasions I have to miss games--I want to know the score as soon as possible--and usually I won't even watch a game that I know they've lost. No point in getting all pissed off.

No problem with Leslie's headlines.
Same here--I actually want to know the score of a game I DVRed. If there was something interesting I can ff to that point, but mostly I just erase a loss.

The headlines here have no bearing on what I decide to do.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:

i think not.
i do if he is on the ice when Lundqvist gets crashed into..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:59 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Same here--I actually want to know the score of a game I DVRed. If there was something interesting I can ff to that point, but mostly I just erase a loss.

The headlines here have no bearing on what I decide to do.
So you only want to watch a game they won? Doesn't checking the score before you watch remove the excitement the comes from actually watching the game? Very odd.

Regardless, she said she would take efforts to keep the score out of the thread title so there's no point in continuing the debate. If you've watched the game you already know the score so it doesn't effect you one way or another if the score isn't mentioned. For the rest of us it's helpful...end of story.

Old
09-22-2011, 06:35 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
So you only want to watch a game they won? Doesn't checking the score before you watch remove the excitement the comes from actually watching the game? Very odd.

Regardless, she said she would take efforts to keep the score out of the thread title so there's no point in continuing the debate. If you've watched the game you already know the score so it doesn't effect you one way or another if the score isn't mentioned. For the rest of us it's helpful...end of story.
Losses are not exciting to watch. If I know the Rangers have won I can find some excitement then. Might not be quite as much but... It's also hours in a day--finding something else to do with your time than waste it watching the team lose--oftentimes because of a subpar outing.

The thing is nobody is exactly the same. No point in judging us for our habits when we're okay with you for yours. The same goal anyway. Let's win another Stanley Cup.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:11 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Losses are not exciting to watch. If I know the Rangers have won I can find some excitement then. Might not be quite as much but... It's also hours in a day--finding something else to do with your time than waste it watching the team lose--oftentimes because of a subpar outing.

The thing is nobody is exactly the same. No point in judging us for our habits when we're okay with you for yours. The same goal anyway. Let's win another Stanley Cup.
Fair enough...to each his own. I guess my point was that if you have to watch a lot of games on delay and you found out the score of each of them prior to watching you would be missing out on the excitement that comes with not knowing the outcome...not to mention the fact that you wouldn't watch half of them (if you only watch games they win.) And the bonus of watching via DVR is you don't need to spend hours to watch a game. But I agree...we're all on the same team here.

Last edited by broadwayblue: 09-22-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old
09-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

I have been thinking this over and discussing it with the powers that be. Most readers want to know right away what happened, so I am going with that rather than a generic title. But I do have a suggestion. The GDT is at the top of the threads--above the line, so to speak. Just don't scroll down and you won't see the blog thread title, which is always below the line. You should be fine doing that and our readers can see right up front what happened.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

My "free" time is limited--I'll check the box score and then watch parts of the games that seem interesting. Honestly, I really prefer watching games live and will opt for a live game on Center Ice over watching an earlier game that I DVRed.

Old
09-22-2011, 10:53 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
My "free" time is limited--I'll check the box score and then watch parts of the games that seem interesting. Honestly, I really prefer watching games live and will opt for a live game on Center Ice over watching an earlier game that I DVRed.
I know that many (perhaps most) share your sentiment regarding watching games live. But I still contend that watching a DVRd game takes a lot less time...thus leaving you with a lot more "free" time to spend elsewhere.

Old
09-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I know that many (perhaps most) share your sentiment regarding watching games live. But I still contend that watching a DVRd game takes a lot less time...thus leaving you with a lot more "free" time to spend elsewhere.
I've been taping hockey games since the 1980s--I found a system that works for me.

Old
09-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i avoid this site till i watch the game...i HATE being spoiled....and yes, ill still watch the game no matter what...i was spoiled when we got crushed by dallas a few years ago, like 10-0 or something...and yes, i still watched the entire, painful, game.

Old
09-23-2011, 07:07 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i avoid this site till i watch the game...i HATE being spoiled....and yes, ill still watch the game no matter what...i was spoiled when we got crushed by dallas a few years ago, like 10-0 or something...and yes, i still watched the entire, painful, game.
Oh man, pour Valliquette. I don't think I made it through the 1st period of that game lol.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Levitate

To be honest I think it's kind of weird to "follow along" to the GDT when watching a taped game, but htat's just me

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:37 AM
mullichicken25

im glad im not the only person who isolates themself when they cant watch the game live to watch it on DVR

so many people just cant get it through their heads why i would want to do this and INSIST on blowing it for me one way or another

guy - "did you watch the game?"
me - "no i recorded it and i'm gonna go watch it now so dont say anything!"
guy - "ok...but i wouldn't even bother, its not worth it"
me - ""

Old
09-23-2011, 08:46 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
im glad im not the only person who isolates themself when they cant watch the game live to watch it on DVR

so many people just cant get it through their heads why i would want to do this and INSIST on blowing it for me one way or another

guy - "did you watch the game?"
me - "no i recorded it and i'm gonna go watch it now so dont say anything!"
guy - "ok...but i wouldn't even bother, its not worth it"
me - ""
Yeah, people I communicate with regularly know not to mention anything related to the Rangers game unless I indicate I've already seen it. Disappointing that after years of not posting scores in thread titles here Leslie is going to banish people like us to "above the line". There are bigger issues in life to deal with for sure...but I fail to see what was wrong with the way it was.

Old
09-23-2011, 08:51 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Yeah, people I communicate with regularly know not to mention anything related to the Rangers game unless I indicate I've already seen it. Disappointing that after years of not posting scores in thread titles here Leslie is going to banish people like us to "above the line". There are bigger issues in life to deal with for sure...but I fail to see what was wrong with the way it was.
honestly though, i cant fathom even coming on to this board until i've seen the game...i dont want to risk seeing the "Del zotto is garbage!!!" or "MZA Apreciation!!!!" impulse type threads

i wont go on facebook

i wont listen to the radio

i even close my eyes when im flipping past sports channels on TV