HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

R.J. Umberger Article

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2005, 09:32 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1476
R.J. Umberger Article

I saw this on FoxSports' website:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/4986892

Old
10-12-2005, 09:40 PM
BloodOnTheIce

vCash: 500
Yeah, I don't know how this kid is sits and brash gets almost 10 minutes on ice

blows my mind

Old
10-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Nuclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodOnTheIce
Yeah, I don't know how this kid is sits and brash gets almost 10 minutes on ice

blows my mind
Brashear get's paid close to 2 million, gotta use him since we have him.

Old
10-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear
Brashear get's paid close to 2 million, gotta use him since we have him.
Unfortunately that's pretty much the case. I wish you could simply cut players like in other sports, Brash is useless. I used to think he was a semi decent hockey player (for a fourth liner) but so far this season, he's been terrible. He's a liability on the ice.

Old
10-13-2005, 02:09 AM
DeleteThisAccount

Shane Malloy writes like a seventh-grade newspaper club member.

Old
10-13-2005, 03:32 AM
Mike8

What do you consider Umberger's potential? Where does he fit in on Philly (short and long term)?

Old
10-13-2005, 09:29 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
What do you consider Umberger's potential? Where does he fit in on Philly (short and long term)?
He'll be playing for the Flyers as soon as Carter and Richards are established and Handzus traded away, probably by next season.

Unless he can convert to LW, we are so deep at C right now there is no room for him.

Old
10-13-2005, 09:31 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44
He'll be playing for the Flyers as soon as Carter and Richards are established and Handzus traded away, probably by next season.

Unless he can convert to LW, we are so deep at C right now there is no room for him.
He's capable of playing the wing.

Old
10-13-2005, 12:03 PM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Unfortunately that's pretty much the case. I wish you could simply cut players like in other sports, Brash is useless. I used to think he was a semi decent hockey player (for a fourth liner) but so far this season, he's been terrible. He's a liability on the ice.
For everyone who continues to bash Brashear and question his value to the team, I only ask that you look back on what happened to Flyers players (particularly Recchi and Primeau) in 2004 when he missed some games and then ask yourself if that's the kind of thing you'd like to see happen to Forsberg, Gagne, Richards, Pitkanen, etc.

Like it or not, believe it or not, Brashear serves as a major deterrence to cheap shots on his teammates. That deterrence does no good with him in the press box.

Old
10-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRacki
For everyone who continues to bash Brashear and question his value to the team, I only ask that you look back on what happened to Flyers players (particularly Recchi and Primeau) in 2004 when he missed some games and then ask yourself if that's the kind of thing you'd like to see happen to Forsberg, Gagne, Richards, Pitkanen, etc.

Like it or not, believe it or not, Brashear serves as a major deterrence to cheap shots on his teammates. That deterrence does no good with him in the press box.
I don't exactly know what you're talking about with Primeau. He missed a chunk of time because he inadvertently collided with Holik. It wasn't a cheap shot that caused his Concussion.

Old
10-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Brad*

Quote:

I call BS.

Brashear does nothing. He rarely fights anymore, and he spends more time flat on his back in the corner than he does hitting. People aren't afraid of him anymore because he's a cherry picker and rarely does the job of an enforcer.

Old
10-13-2005, 08:02 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I don't exactly know what you're talking about with Primeau. He missed a chunk of time because he inadvertently collided with Holik. It wasn't a cheap shot that caused his Concussion.
I've watched that clip over and over and I think that was a cheap shot. First, Holik turned his head towards Primeau, saw him coming, and then looked away before they collided. Second, there was was a follow through motion with Holik's elbow. Guys like bobby Holik know how to get away with stuff like this, and have been accidentally cheap shotting people all their careers.

Old
10-13-2005, 10:54 PM
stanley

Quote:
Is Donald a physical therapist?

Quote:
Like it or not, believe it or not, Brashear serves as a major deterrence to cheap shots on his teammates.
I don't believe that any goon serves as a measurable deterrent. I think this is conventional wisdom. These guys, all of them (well, maybe not Havlat) are not afraid to play in the NHL. There are very few cowards at this level. Perhaps we simply like the idea that there's some sort of Western justice on the ice, where the good guy (played by Donald Brashear) sweeps into town and leaves the bad guys dejected and resigned that they were indeed doing wrong to the good townfolk. Or something like that. I'm not buying it.

Where Brashear has value is as a physical player against the more talented players of the opposition. I feel that the best way to knock skill players off their game is to play physically against them. Brashear, Stevenson, Primeau, etc. - these guys should lay bodies often on the Spezzas and Brieres of the NHL. Brashear is also valuable when he and his linemates are able to get the puck below the circles and in the corners, where they force opposing defensemen to expend energy. The guy really is a handful at times.

The fighting can be entertaining, but I just don't see how it adds value to the team, or rather, puts fear into the opposition. If all Brashear is there to do is skate around and challenge the opposing tough guy to a duel, then just play Umberger already.

Old
10-14-2005, 06:44 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
Is Donald a physical therapist?

I don't believe that any goon serves as a measurable deterrent. I think this is conventional wisdom. These guys, all of them (well, maybe not Havlat) are not afraid to play in the NHL. There are very few cowards at this level. Perhaps we simply like the idea that there's some sort of Western justice on the ice, where the good guy (played by Donald Brashear) sweeps into town and leaves the bad guys dejected and resigned that they were indeed doing wrong to the good townfolk. Or something like that. I'm not buying it.

Where Brashear has value is as a physical player against the more talented players of the opposition. I feel that the best way to knock skill players off their game is to play physically against them. Brashear, Stevenson, Primeau, etc. - these guys should lay bodies often on the Spezzas and Brieres of the NHL. Brashear is also valuable when he and his linemates are able to get the puck below the circles and in the corners, where they force opposing defensemen to expend energy. The guy really is a handful at times.

The fighting can be entertaining, but I just don't see how it adds value to the team, or rather, puts fear into the opposition. If all Brashear is there to do is skate around and challenge the opposing tough guy to a duel, then just play Umberger already.

I think that if the instigator penalty were removed you would see more immediate justice. I might be wrong, and I am not trying to get into a pro-fighting debate since I am not in the mood, but if a fighter could go a punch Havlat in the face immediately after he does some cheap shot, I think he'd think twice about doing it again. Nowadays if you do that, you get an instigator penalty and suspended for a long time. (Note: I am not giving tacit approval of the Bertuzzi hit.)

Closed Thread