HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stepan to the wing ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-22-2011, 03:40 PM
  #26
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner
 
That Stepan Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,557
vCash: 500
Keep him at center. He can improve. Does no one remember Sidney Crosby in his first two or so seasons? Wasn't that good, but improved. Just because Stepan didn't do well this past season doesn't mean he can't improve.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:44 PM
  #27
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
Stepan to Rangers organization's future > Boyle.

And I love Boyle.

Stepan should stay put at center.

20 year olds that can step into the league from NCAA and put up 40 points don't grow on trees.

Both of these players are more valuable to this team as centers.

Take Stepan and put him on the wing and he can't develop as a center, they'd better be prepared to keep him on the wing for the long haul.

His game is far better suited at center, where he covers more ice and gets more involved at both ends. Gets deep in both zones. Able to distribute the puck better. And able to play his heady game better.

Put him on the wing and you're taking away a lot of responsibility. And expecting him to become more a scorer then an intelligent two way player and playmaker...which is what he really is.

Just doesn't make sense.

Its just as silly as throwing Lundmark on the ice and asking him to be a power forward.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:48 PM
  #28
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
The only reason that Torts moved Dubinsky to the wing was to get him to forget a little about the added responsibility that comes with being a center, and get him to become more consistent offensively.

Stepan is a center. His game is suited as a center. He is the kind of player that gets better with more imvolvement and more responsibility. Not less.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:51 PM
  #29
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
Further, playing along, if he WERE to go to a wing, it shouldn't be LW. He still needs to be able to distribute the puck. He would need to be on the RW so his forehand faces the play.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:51 PM
  #30
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,253
vCash: 500
This doesn't make sense. He isn't a LW.

His game translate better as a C not a LW.

Now if he had a great shot, pure goal scorer but not much playmaking skills, okay you move him to wing.
But this isn't the case.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:59 PM
  #31
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,656
vCash: 500
I think that if you are a decent face off guy at lower levels, it takes a few years but you will be a good face off guy in the NHL as well.

Getting used to the Refs and seeing alot of the same guys in the circle you kind of get used to what they do and dont do when taking a face off.

Let him work that out

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:28 PM
  #32
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceboro View Post
But Dubby came up as a C and moved to LW.


Copy Duby.
Keep Steph at C but have Boyle do faceoffs like AA.
That doesn't do anything for Stepan's development. He should take his own faceoffs. And Boyle should stay at center on a different line.

There's literally zero reason to switch either one of them from center.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:43 PM
  #33
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,552
vCash: 500
Wing, Center, doesn't matter, as long as he's getting minutes. Both positions will help different aspects of his game. I'm certain we'll see him moved around throughout the year.

In the long run I prefer him at Center though.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:46 PM
  #34
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Dubinsky continues to take faceoffs for Anisimov.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 09:30 PM
  #35
msv957
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,051
vCash: 500
Isn't Stepan's strength is his passing and hockey sense? Moving him to LW would not utilize his strengths.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 09:30 PM
  #36
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
The only reason that Torts moved Dubinsky to the wing was to get him to forget a little about the added responsibility that comes with being a center, and get him to become more consistent offensively.
Not sure I agree with this sentiment. You're making it sound like (and if this wasn't your intent, I apologize) Dubinsky could just as easily have stayed at center, or should eventually go back to it, which is something I don't agree with. He was moved because it was becoming apparent that his skillset, and his abilities, were simply better suited for that position. He doesn't have the playmaking skills to be a top center, which is something that he still doesn't appear to completely be willing to accept at times (though he continues to improve in that regard). He's better suited as a goalscoring power forward-esque player who can create room for his linemates with the ability to occassionally flash some vision, as well. His issue, IMO, is that he can get carried away with trying to do too much playmaking. But I digress...

(SSM, this part isn't aimed at you so much, just in general for the thread...)Stepan does have the skillset to be a puck distributor (even if he didn't show enough of it last season). Now, although most of the top playmakers in the league are centers, there are exceptions. St. Louis, Kane, Hemsky, to name a few, are their team's top playmakers and do it from the wing. Now, Stepan could very well do the same thing...but why? If he's already a center, why alter that. Strength down the middle, especially in terms of playmaking and creativity and the ability to dominate the puck in the other team's zone...the value of this can't be overstated.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 09:50 PM
  #37
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Not sure I agree with this sentiment. You're making it sound like (and if this wasn't your intent, I apologize) Dubinsky could just as easily have stayed at center, or should eventually go back to it, which is something I don't agree with. He was moved because it was becoming apparent that his skillset, and his abilities, were simply better suited for that position. He doesn't have the playmaking skills to be a top center, which is something that he still doesn't appear to completely be willing to accept at times (though he continues to improve in that regard). He's better suited as a goalscoring power forward-esque player who can create room for his linemates with the ability to occassionally flash some vision, as well. His issue, IMO, is that he can get carried away with trying to do too much playmaking. But I digress...

(SSM, this part isn't aimed at you so much, just in general for the thread...)Stepan does have the skillset to be a puck distributor (even if he didn't show enough of it last season). Now, although most of the top playmakers in the league are centers, there are exceptions. St. Louis, Kane, Hemsky, to name a few, are their team's top playmakers and do it from the wing. Now, Stepan could very well do the same thing...but why? If he's already a center, why alter that. Strength down the middle, especially in terms of playmaking and creativity and the ability to dominate the puck in the other team's zone...the value of this can't be overstated.
Good points.

I used to, but haven't for a while now felt that Dubi should go back to center. He is better suited as a winger.

Stepan should stay at center. Let Richards mentor him. He can improve on faceoffs.

I just don't see a real reason to move him at this point. And its not like we have a highly touted center prospect ready to push Stepan to wing.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:10 PM
  #38
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Stepan to Rangers organization's future > Boyle.

And I love Boyle.

Stepan should stay put at center.

20 year olds that can step into the league from NCAA and put up 40 points don't grow on trees.

Both of these players are more valuable to this team as centers.

Take Stepan and put him on the wing and he can't develop as a center, they'd better be prepared to keep him on the wing for the long haul.

His game is far better suited at center, where he covers more ice and gets more involved at both ends. Gets deep in both zones. Able to distribute the puck better. And able to play his heady game better.

Put him on the wing and you're taking away a lot of responsibility. And expecting him to become more a scorer then an intelligent two way player and playmaker...which is what he really is.

Just doesn't make sense.

Its just as silly as throwing Lundmark on the ice and asking him to be a power forward.

Totally agree. Stepan needs to stay at center and he needs to get more minutes than Boyle. Boyle will be a great 4th line center. Add him with Rupp and whoever.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:22 PM
  #39
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Totally agree. Stepan needs to stay at center and he needs to get more minutes than Boyle. Boyle will be a great 4th line center. Add him with Rupp and whoever.
Boyle will still get a good amount of ice time in any case. Tortorella likes to use Boyle with Prust in a variety of situations. Especially if they have Fedotenko with them.

If it's ice time for Boyle that folks are worried about, I don't feel they should worry. Torts loves him.

I like our center depth id hate to break it up.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:00 PM
  #40
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Boyle will still get a good amount of ice time in any case. Tortorella likes to use Boyle with Prust in a variety of situations. Especially if they have Fedotenko with them.

If it's ice time for Boyle that folks are worried about, I don't feel they should worry. Torts loves him.

I like our center depth id hate to break it up.

I just think it makes more sense to switch Stepan an Boyle on those proposed Torts lines. Is that really going to be a downgrade for that line? I know Feds-Boyle-Prust was solid last year, but I don't think replacing Boyle with Stepan does anything to hinder that. Play Boyle with Rupp. I think that line with Feds is going to get more ice time than the 4th line, no question. Let Stepan get that extra ice.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:25 PM
  #41
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
It would seem interesting to try Boyle on the first line, at least in preseason. He would give that line a big man presence in front of the net.

Boyle - Richards - Gabby
Dubinsky - Anisinov - Callahan
Wolski - Stepan - MZA
Feds - Rupp - Prust

The Rangers would have three lines that can score. I think scoring would stop being a problem if Boyle worked out on the first line.


Last edited by Beacon: 09-22-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 06:47 AM
  #42
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15
 
EuroFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: west coast
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 776
In the long run I reckon it's better to let him play as a C and developed to Rangers next #1 center.

EuroFlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:03 AM
  #43
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Ah, the legend Of Brian Boyle. It grows and grows. Prior to last year he was a borderline NHLer, he improves his skating, has two good offensive months and now he's Keith Primeau in his prime.

Enough. He is a big body who is effective on the wall and is responsible in his own zone. He is not good on draws (check the numbers) he has zero playmaking ability and he doesn't have the hands or the instincts to play with our better offensI've players. He would destroy more scoring chances than he would create on the top line.

He is and always be a bottom 6 player. Why try to make him something he is not? Let him work on the skills that will make him a better checker and when he scores the odd goal, it's gravy. We can win with Brian Boyle as our 4th line center. Douse the legend!

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:08 AM
  #44
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
I just think it makes more sense to switch Stepan an Boyle on those proposed Torts lines. Is that really going to be a downgrade for that line? I know Feds-Boyle-Prust was solid last year, but I don't think replacing Boyle with Stepan does anything to hinder that. Play Boyle with Rupp. I think that line with Feds is going to get more ice time than the 4th line, no question. Let Stepan get that extra ice.
That's an interesting suggestion.

We have lots of options, which is a good thing (I hope).

But hopefully Stepan gets a couple of more skilled guys to play with. If Zuccarello turns into what he was in the SEL that could be huge for us. And if Hagelin can do what he did in Michigan that could also be big.

Hagelin-Stepan-Zuccarello could be interesting.

Weise and Hagelin could make decisions hard for Torts over the next couple if games.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:01 AM
  #45
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,952
vCash: 500
Why does this conversation have to be so black and white (yeah, I pulled the race card)?

Who says Torts won't move people around in game? Have Boyle take a couple of shifts all over the place? He did in TB with VL and Richards. They both moved from center to wing and back to center all the time depending on when he wanted to load up a line.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.