HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Viewing (Providers, HD, Online, Etc)

Old
09-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nekz

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:03 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
As far as I understand, all FiOS subscribers have the same station numbers, so if anyone finds out what channel MSG HD will be, please post it in this thread.

We'll already have been given access to the HD feeds before the appeals process could even play out, which could take a long time... I really can't imagine an appeals court reversing the ruling and mandating that our cable companies thereby remove the HD feeds after we've already been granted access to them by this recent ruling... I'm pretty comfortable we'll have it from this point forward with no interruptions.
If Fios stays true to form MSGHD will be 500 places above the SD channel so 578 I believe.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:58 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
If Fios stays true to form MSGHD will be 500 places above the SD channel so 578 I believe.
I haven't checked my guide, is that channel slot currently available or occupied?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

The question for me here is whether or not this means we'll start seeing MSGHD feeds on Center Ice and GCLive.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:12 AM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rejoice

ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:30 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Wouldn't count our chickens yet. Cablevision will certainly appeal, and a stay will likely be granted. Still, yet another step in the right direction.
I was thrilled at the headline but you're completely right. Cablevision has lost every time this issue has been raised in court. Yet, there's still no MSGHD. It could take years of appeals in theory. Really vile stuff out of Cablevision.

And it tells you all you need to know about Jim Dolan. He'd rather hide behind a lawyer than have fair open competition. Lowest of the low...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:03 AM
SRTtoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I was thrilled at the headline but you're completely right. Cablevision has lost every time this issue has been raised in court. Yet, there's still no MSGHD. It could take years of appeals in theory. Really vile stuff out of Cablevision.

And it tells you all you need to know about Jim Dolan. He'd rather hide behind a lawyer than have fair open competition. Lowest of the low...
While you are right that this has been going on forever, this is the first time a court has enforced a strict deadline for when MSG HD needs to be available on their network.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:04 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Wait...

My understanding was that this had been ruled against Cablevision to begin with months ago, that they then appealed - and that this most recent news was that the appeal had been denied. Are they now RE-appealing to the FCC? Taking it to a different jurisdiction? What?

More importantly, can anyone confirm whether the procedure will be to: a) force Cablevision to allow access until such time (may it never come) that they receive a favorable ruling and can then yank the service, or b) grant them a stay, allowing them to continue to withhold the service, until such time as the appeal is ruled upon?

I'm not a lawyer, but given that I believe they've already appealed once and lost, I would hope it's the former. By the same token, if they're switching jurisdictions, perhaps it's the same thing all over again and it's the latter? I mean, I guess we'll find out within 30 days, but any definitive statement on the matter from a knowledgeable poster would be much appreciated by those of us who are holding our breath in anticipation...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:22 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Wait...

My understanding was that this had been ruled against Cablevision to begin with months ago, that they then appealed - and that this most recent news was that the appeal had been denied. Are they now RE-appealing to the FCC? Taking it to a different jurisdiction? What?

More importantly, can anyone confirm whether the procedure will be to: a) force Cablevision to allow access until such time (may it never come) that they receive a favorable ruling and can then yank the service, or b) grant them a stay, allowing them to continue to withhold the service, until such time as the appeal is ruled upon?

I'm not a lawyer, but given that I believe they've already appealed once and lost, I would hope it's the former. By the same token, if they're switching jurisdictions, perhaps it's the same thing all over again and it's the latter? I mean, I guess we'll find out within 30 days, but any definitive statement on the matter from a knowledgeable poster would be much appreciated by those of us who are holding our breath in anticipation...
As someone in law school (and with several legal internships in NYC), I think I'm correct in saying that at this point:

the New York Supreme Court Appellate Division has made a ruling;

that decision can be appealed:

to the New York Court of Appeals.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:24 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 550
Congrats FiOS users. Now you will finally be able to see just how sexy Lundqvist is.

09-23-2011, 01:31 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

So, someone want to make a list of all of the different ways in which Fios is superior to TWC/Craplevision?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:51 AM
SRTtoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
So, someone want to make a list of all of the different ways in which Fios is superior to TWC/Craplevision?
1) Faster internet speeds hands down. I have 40/40 (down/up) speeds which equates to about 5-6mb/s. With Cablevision at most I got was 1-2mb/s and slower than mud upload speeds.

2) High Def quality- ZERO artifacts and virtually no compression....no pixelation or any of that crap you get with Cablevision.

3) Better Cable Boxes- I cant tell you how many times I had to restart my box with cablevision or get a new one all together.

4) NFL Network, NFL Redzone, 2 channels not available from Cablevision.

5) No losing channels due to 'Contract disputes'. Anyone remember when Cablevision didnt carry the YES Network? I missed an entire Yankee season because of that (although I did listen to the radio). Also, Cablevision lost Fox last year for a few weeks/months during Giants and Yankees playoffs games.

That was the final straw for me which made me switch to Fios. I havent looked back even though Cablevision calls me constantly trying to get me back and keeps lowering and lowering their prices.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:53 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
I'll say the first one is this:

Fios allows me to have 4 computers and one gaming device (either Ps3 or XBOX) to be on at the same time and run like it was the only thing connected to the internet. I know people with cablevision have issues when multiple people use the internet at the same time.

That to me, for a larger family is the greatest benefit.

The quality of the picture is great as well. I never had cablevision, but comparing it to time warner, even the standard definition is miles apart. The service never goes out and I've rarely seen choppiness from the picture.

I have yet to really have an issue with Fios. The only thing that happened was I lose home phone connection for a while when they were repairing the lines in the area. Besides that, Fios has been awesome.

It is a must get as soon as MSGHD and the other MSG networks become available to it.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:10 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Way to go fios!

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:29 AM
NYRKING30

the only negative thing i can say about fios (prior to availability with MSGHD) was that if you lost/broke a remote, you would have to pay 100 dollars for a new one. so to all future incoming fios customers and current ones as well, take care of your remote! if anything does happen, look for the guys in the fios trucks and ask them. they dont care my mom got an 4 extra remotes on 2 different occasions. other than that, god im so happy i dont have time warner.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:30 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
the only negative thing i can say about fios (prior to availability with MSGHD) was that if you lost/broke a remote, you would have to pay 100 dollars for a new one. so to all future incoming fios customers and current ones as well, take care of your remote! if anything does happen, look for the guys in the fios trucks and ask them. they dont care my mom got an 4 extra remotes on 2 different occasions. other than that, god im so happy i dont have time warner.
I got mine replaced for free too. We called them and they did it for free...

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:09 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I got mine replaced for free too. We called them and they did it for free...
They also now have a free app that can turn a smart phone into a remote.

Old
09-23-2011, 08:17 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
As someone in law school (and with several legal internships in NYC), I think I'm correct in saying that at this point:

the New York Supreme Court Appellate Division has made a ruling;

that decision can be appealed:

to the New York Court of Appeals.
Okay... but you didn't answer the important question! What happens to the availability of the channel during the appeal?

During the first appeal, they were allowed to continue withholding the service, pending the ruling. By filing this second appeal, will they be allowed to continue their blackout for FiOS until the second appeal is ruled on?

Or, due to the fact that they've now lost the first appeal and been ordered to make the service available within 30 days, has it flipped? Do they now have to make it available during the second appeal, pending the ruling?

Old
09-23-2011, 08:48 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Think of a way and it is likely superior.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:01 AM
pwoz

I have been waiting so long! I love my FIOS!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:20 AM
rangerfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Okay... but you didn't answer the important question! What happens to the availability of the channel during the appeal?

During the first appeal, they were allowed to continue withholding the service, pending the ruling. By filing this second appeal, will they be allowed to continue their blackout for FiOS until the second appeal is ruled on?

Or, due to the fact that they've now lost the first appeal and been ordered to make the service available within 30 days, has it flipped? Do they now have to make it available during the second appeal, pending the ruling?
There is no yes or no answer to this block of questions. It's all up to the court that hears the appeal, and whether they grant a stay of the ruling pending appeal. My gut says that the court will grant a stay and the channels will not be shown until the appeal is exhausted. Hopefully, I am wrong.

Two other things. Channels 578-81 are all available on Fios. Obviously, Verizon has been preparing for this day.

Finally, I take serious issue with Cablevision's whining in their reaction to the FCC ruling. "The data clearly demonstrates that there has been no competitive harm to the nation's two largest phone companies as a result of not having two HD channels they already receive in SD. New York is the most competitive market in the country and this decision only hurts fair competition and consumers"

First, no one asked me, so the 'data' they refer to is incomplete. Second, and more seriously, how does this ruling hurt consumers? For the life of me, I only see it hurting Cablevision. I cannot think of any way in which this ruling is harmful to consumers. Idiots!

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:20 AM
biggs98

Fios and At&t are a bunch of crybabys......If you all want something do you go crying to your mommys to make them get it for you???? If fios or at&t had their own channels they would've done the same thing MSG did. Why would you give your competitors something you have that they don't????? Obviously most of you fios kool-aid drinkers on here aren't business savy whats so ever. Its all because of your own greed because they don't have something you want. Stop complaining about Cablevision cause fios, att, comcast, cox, direct tv are all the same. Their companies trying to make money cause thats what you do when you own a business. I'm sure most of you on here if you had a business would look to make minimal profits and help out your competitors.

biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:22 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
1) Faster internet speeds hands down. I have 40/40 (down/up) speeds which equates to about 5-6mb/s. With Cablevision at most I got was 1-2mb/s and slower than mud upload speeds.

2) High Def quality- ZERO artifacts and virtually no compression....no pixelation or any of that crap you get with Cablevision.

3) Better Cable Boxes- I cant tell you how many times I had to restart my box with cablevision or get a new one all together.

4) NFL Network, NFL Redzone, 2 channels not available from Cablevision.

5) No losing channels due to 'Contract disputes'. Anyone remember when Cablevision didnt carry the YES Network? I missed an entire Yankee season because of that (although I did listen to the radio). Also, Cablevision lost Fox last year for a few weeks/months during Giants and Yankees playoffs games.

That was the final straw for me which made me switch to Fios. I havent looked back even though Cablevision calls me constantly trying to get me back and keeps lowering and lowering their prices.
I get 50 mbps on cablevision, although our upload is still kinda crappy. All other points are valid, although the contract thing is meh, those things happen once in a blue moon and never bothered me to begin with. The boxes for cablevision suck, but in my time of having FIOS, their boxes weren't much to write home about either. Although their boxes were much more responsive. Anything other than the DVR box for cablevision is so slow. The thing that I hate most about CVC is the fact that they still don't have NFL Network.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

For everyone still with Cablevision- call them up and say you're going to cancel, like right on the spot. Even if you don't actually intend on this, they'll offer you a pretty good package to stay.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:25 AM
mullichicken25

well that seals the deal for me (though i wont be moving out for 6-8months)...between MSGHD, Redzone, NFL network, multi-room DVR, remote app, and supposedly faster internet its a no brainer

oh and F-U Dolan!

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote