HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goring Reaches Comfort Zone

Old
09-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Goring Reaches Comfort Zone

http://www.newsday.com/sports/media/...zone-1.3192082

The best part of leaving the studio for the arena was being around the game and players, most of whom were familiar enough with Goring’s resume to appreciate he knew what he was talking about.
“I would ask them questions about hockey and in most instances I knew the answer, and they’d look at me at times and say, ‘You’re a pro, you know,’’’ he said. “But as I explained to them, fans don’t want to know what I think. They want to know what you think.’’

09-22-2011, 01:03 PM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

One can only hope.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:44 PM
JKP

At least he's coming at it with the right idea: let the players tell the viewers. The fact he recognizes that puts him ahead of lots of color goys. Hopefully he's a little more relaxed and polished this season. And gets a cheat sheet to pronounce the player names.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

I actually love the fact that he messes up the names.. It cracks me up!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:38 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
At least he's coming at it with the right idea: let the players tell the viewers. The fact he recognizes that puts him ahead of lots of color goys. Hopefully he's a little more relaxed and polished this season. And gets a cheat sheet to pronounce the player names.
Unfortunately the fact that he's an unbelievable homer, he doesn't have a natural rapport with the play by play guy, and he can't pronounce anyone's name puts him way behind lots of color guys.

Look, I respect everything that Goring did as a player and I personally don't think he got a fair shake as a coach...but he is just brutal in the booth.

Makes me miss Jaffe. Really makes me miss Micheletti.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:41 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
Unfortunately the fact that he's an unbelievable homer, he doesn't have a natural rapport with the play by play guy, and he can't pronounce anyone's name puts him way behind lots of color guys.

Look, I respect everything that Goring did as a player and I personally don't think he got a fair shake as a coach...but he is just brutal in the booth.

Makes me miss Jaffe. Really makes me miss Micheletti.
Agree on Jaffe. But if you have center ice and watch many of the other broadcasts you'd realize that, while not good, Butch is at the very least average - there are a lot of local color guys much worse.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:52 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 50
While Butch may not be the most exciting guy in the booth. he does bring a lot of knowledge into the broadcast, especially for a guy that played in the 80's. He knows a lot about today's game and players and does a good job explaining the game to the people watching. It was his first year in the booth. Few people do good at there first try in anything. I think his knowledge of the game adds a good feel to the broadcast and allows people maybe just starting to watch hockey understand things better. I think he'll be fine.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Agree on Jaffe. But if you have center ice and watch many of the other broadcasts you'd realize that, while not good, Butch is at the very least average - there are a lot of local color guys much worse.
It's just that we've been spoiled for years. We had an eternity with Jiggs and Eddie, then Howie and then Micheletti and Jaffe. Butchie hasn't been able to hold a candle to any of these guys so far.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote