HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

stick recomendations for offensive defenceman

Old
09-20-2011, 06:24 PM
puckmover

vCash: 500
stick recomendations for offensive defenceman

hi,

just looking for stick and blade patterns and flex recommendations and reasons why,

im about 5'9 170 lbs my playing style,im an offensive defenceman im very quik on my feet and like to stick handle with the puck,

on the point i tend to pass it off to my d partner for a clapper,

i tend to bring the puck in and wrist it if givin the opportunity,

any how,

looking for blade pattern and stick recommendations,

thanks in advance,

adam

puckmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Subnordi

Bauer X-60, with around a 85-90 flex, with a Stamkos curve.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 06:58 PM
AIREAYE

Sticks are mostly personal preference, especially curves; so you can't really suggest a single stick and expect it to be perfect.

There are a few guidelines that can you can work with though.

Judging by your height and weight, you could theoretically go with an Intermediate stick; but the flex ranges in that would probably be too whippy for you (60-70).

The perfect combo could be taking a Senior sized 70-77 flex stick and cutting it down to your preference. That would likely bump that flex rating up to the 80s, which would be ideal for your weight range (think flex = 1/2 of weight)

In regards to curve, it's all about trying them and finding out what you like. I'd start with something like a Bauer PM9, Easton Zetterberg or equivalent and go from there.

A lot of people on here would suggest going for a shaft and blade combo so you can try as many patterns as you want and still stick with the same shaft. Unfortunately, 75/77 flex shafts are difficult find without going online.

IMO, if you don't want to go the shaft + blade route, you should check out this year's Sherwood T90 stick:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/catpage.html?ccode=SRCSSHER

Amazing top-of-the-line value for that price. It features 'Free Flex' tech so what you could do is grab an 85 flex T90, cut it to your preference and it would stay in that 85 rating. Look at the PP96 or PP9.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:44 PM
hyster110

the p92 in bauer or the hall in easton are great stick handling/passing curves,

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

75 flex would be a good starting point for your height.

You say you like to stick handle, so I'd go with a true one piece stick if you can afford it; it makes the blade feel lighter and your hands move a little quicker. Bauer X60, Easton S19, Warrior Widow, those are the best balanced sticks for a blade light feel.

You like to pass but also like to pull the puck in tight and shoot wristers, which says to me you'd probably want a rockered blade lie. Passers tend to like flatter/neutral blades like the PM9 or P88 variants, but for a rockered blade the P92 would be nice if you can control your follow through for shot height.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:10 PM
puckmover

thanks guys,

these are all really good tips,

so far im leaning towards the sher wood t90 either pp96 or pp09 but think i'll end up with the pp09,

but jarik you made some interesting comments about the p92,
the rocker and curve,

first off will the rocker effect poke checks?
as its apart of my game,

usually i bet people with my skating speed little dangling but nothing to crazy,

im not going into the other teams zone and hold on to the puck and dangling to get past defenders,

i usually take the puck from my zone and bring the puck up,

think of coffey or duncan keith, not in away comparing myself to them,

but it might give you idea of playing style,

as for wristers im not really bring in tight to my body alot, wristers are from top of circles so need to get decent speed,

and when i bet defenders i usually by speed and decking goalie with side to side decks and back hand in close,

thanks again for this advice,

very close on making my decision,

thanks,

adam

Old
09-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Stickmata

For D I like the Easton Zetterbergs. Flatter lie, less curve. For forward I like the Iginla, steeper, nice curve but not ridiculous. I use an S19 - 85 Flex, but just tried a new EQ50. Love the feel shooting with it, even better than the S19, but I can't get used to stick handling with it compared to the S19.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

All those things you mentioned are skating and skill related and not really the stick so nothing should be affected by your curve selection.

The closer in you bring the puck the higher lie and shorter stick you'd want, and the further you keep it away the lower lie and longer stick. Personally, I like to stickhandle at a medium distance and shoot from closer to my body so I do like a little rocker on my blade.

As for your wrist shots, I don't think the stick is going to add lots of speed, but I can tell you from my experience what I've found:

- Sticks that feel heavy in the blade slow down my stick handling and slow down my wrist shot release. It feels to me like I need to get more momentum before I can release the shot with high speed and power, so there's a split second delay. With a light blade I just push-pull with my forearms and the shot comes off; with a heavy blade I have to pull the puck a bit first and then push-pull. Maybe it's just me.

- Flex is important for quick shots to me. Too stiff of a stick and I will keep trying to lean into shots to load them, which wastes time. Too whippy and I lose power and velocity and might introduce lag into the shot. Just right and I like to use snap shots which come off quick and hard.

- More open curves feel like they have more velocity to me than closed. I went from PM9 (flat and closed) to P88 (curved and closed) to P91 (flat and open) to P92 (curved and open). The more open the curve, the harder and quicker my shots. The P91 had the hardest shots but I had trouble keeping passes and shots low to the ice and the flat blade made toe drags more difficult. I have been using P92 for the last year and most of my shots go right for the corners, although I can keep them low if I try, and passes have stayed low with stickhandling nice and easy.

I would not recommend the T90 because it's a pretty heavy and poorly balanced stick. I would look for clearance sticks from Warrior, Bauer, and Easton right now with new models coming out.

I can also tell you I've spent a lot of time and money on sticks and regret purchasing pretty much anything that wasn't high end. The best stick I've ever used is my Bauer X60, which is light, durable, and shoots hard. I have a few other sticks, a Warrior AK27 and Dolomite Spyne, both impulse buys, and both are heavier and don't shoot as hard.

If you're still deciding on what curve and flex you want, the best choice is to try and find cheap used tapered shafts and buy a few different wood blades. You can probably find 70-100 flex shafts for $20-30 each on Craigslist or eBay and tapered wood blades are $25 each. Try them until you know what you like, then splurge on a good stick, especially on clearance.

Old
09-22-2011, 04:23 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I use the Sher-Wood T90 and I find it to be decently balanced and not very heavy. It's not as light as the top end sticks, but I am not about to spend $200 and up for a stick.

Anyways I am 5'9 185lbs and I use the 85 flex. The other nice thing as Aireaye mentioned is that there is flex free cutting zone at the top so it stays at an 85 flex even when cut. I too am a puck moving defensemen and I find this stick works well for me. I have never had my slappers come off with so much pop.

That all being said Jarick is a more experienced player than myself so if you are looking for something more high end go with his recommendation. If you are looking for a good stick at a great price point then I don't think the T90 will disapoint.

Last edited by ChiTownHawks: 09-22-2011 at 04:34 PM.
ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 04:36 PM
puckmover

agreed,

im not willing to pay that amount,

so i made some calls and looks like im still able to get easton's se 16 for same price as sherwood T-90

so its between sher-wood and easton,

Old
09-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Hogie

Warrior Dolomite is a light, solid stick. Good puck feel, great for passing.

Icewarehouse has some good deals on them at the moment. $110 & free shipping, plenty of options flex/curve wise

Hogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd definitely go with the Easton given those options. I just don't like that Sherwood stick balance at all.

Old
09-22-2011, 05:27 PM
puckmover

agree,

easton is the better deal,

but i dont mind the sher wood good value,

but this post was going abit off in the wrong direction, it seemed to go in the direction of what is a better value stick,

basically looks like 85 flex is good for me, 77 is abit to wimpy for me

and curve it doesnt matter since im not dangling all the time, and using my agility and speed to get past defenders

im thinking flatter curve would be more suited to my playing style, so Zetterberg or stamkos or pp09 in sherwood curves would suit my needs

-87flex
-Zetterberg pattern

easton se16- since its a high end stick at a great cost,

also another picky note i find vapors have a round shaft, I prefer boxy i think thats why i like the easton se16 and sher-wood t90's

Old
09-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well I wouldn't necessarily say 77 is "too wimpy" for you at 5'9, especially if you're cutting it down a bit. But everyone's got their preference.

Old
09-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckmover View Post
agreed,

im not willing to pay that amount,

so i made some calls and looks like im still able to get easton's se 16 for same price as sherwood T-90

so its between sher-wood and easton,
The Easton SE16 is a great stick.

Old
09-23-2011, 08:24 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
The Easton SE16 is a great stick.
the SE16 is garbage, the blade on the consumer level stick is a very weak one. i would not get this stick cause after a dozen games or se (rec league games) the blade feels off and your shots go everywhere

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:48 AM
puckmover

id really like to get away from the topic what stick is better,

this post was more to find out what curve and flex people would recommend for me,

Old
09-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
id really like to get away from the topic what stick is better,

this post was more to find out what curve and flex people would recommend for me,
On flex, I agree with the earlier poster on 77, especially if you're going to cut it down. I recently saw a piece on TV with Mike Camalleri, who we all know has a wicked shot and lightning quick release. He's 5'9"/185. I was shocked when he said he used an 80 flex stick.

Old
09-23-2011, 12:38 PM
ponder

Edit: oops double post

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:42 PM
ponder

Quote:
agree,

easton is the better deal,

but i dont mind the sher wood good value,

but this post was going abit off in the wrong direction, it seemed to go in the direction of what is a better value stick,

basically looks like 85 flex is good for me, 77 is abit to wimpy for me

and curve it doesnt matter since im not dangling all the time, and using my agility and speed to get past defenders

im thinking flatter curve would be more suited to my playing style, so Zetterberg or stamkos or pp09 in sherwood curves would suit my needs

-87flex
-Zetterberg pattern

easton se16- since its a high end stick at a great cost,

also another picky note i find vapors have a round shaft, I prefer boxy i think thats why i like the easton se16 and sher-wood t90's
I 6', 180 lbs, have been playing hockey at a variety of levels since I was 8 (currently 25), and shoot best with 75/77 flex sticks. Cammalleri and Ovechkin use 80ish flex sticks, Phil Kessel uses an intermediate, and these guys have some of the best shots in the world. Many other NHLers use much stiffer sticks and also have great shots. It's all about personal preference and technique, some guys like a stiff stick, other guys like whippy sticks. If you really flex the shaft to get power out of your shots you'll likely prefer a whippier stick, if you're more of a fast hand motion kind of shooter you'll likely prefer stiffer sticks. At your height/weight I'd probably suggest a 75/77, or even a stiffer intermediate, but it's personal preference and you might prefer something stiffer.

If you can find SE16s in your preferred curve and flex, that's a great stick. As for curve, it's literally 100% personal preference, no way to know what curve is right for you without spending time with said curve on the ice.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Minor quibble...Kessel did use an intermediate, I believe he's up to a senior whip now

Otherwise agree with Ponder on this one.

My personal opinion is flex has almost nothing to do with strength or weight but is almost completely dependent on height and technique.

Starting points IMO for flexes are:

5'6 ~ intermediate (65)
5'9 ~ whip (75)
6'0 ~ regular (85)
6'3 ~ stiff (100)

It goes up or down a little bit based on whether you like a whippy or stiffer stick, but for the most part that's going to be optimal. And yes, I know guys you are 5'6 and use 100 flex and guys who are 6'5 and use 85 flex, but it's a good starting point.

Old
09-23-2011, 10:52 PM
bigbadbruins1

depending on your price range, I'm a huge fan of the bauer supreme. I bought the Totalone with a stamkos curve and I absolutely love it. as a fellow defender I like my stick around the 100 flex range, I like that I can put all of my weight into a shot and not worry about snapping a stick every game. They total one is expensive ( 200-250) so if you cant afford it then go with the One100 or One75. They will be a bit heavier but are still very good sticks for d-men that take slappers from the point.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 11:18 PM
whockey

buddy of mine works for sherwood...apparently same quality as top end easton.
i had a t90 but... thick shaft/did not like.....BUT NOW try the new NEXON 12 in stasny ( sakic curve ) ..UNREAL stick under 200 bones.
warrior ak47 was another decent mid point stick that i like in the draper (also sakic curve)
sakic is a good curve and lie for the 5"10 and under guys...

whockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 04:41 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by whockey View Post
buddy of mine works for sherwood...apparently same quality as top end easton.
i had a t90 but... thick shaft/did not like.....BUT NOW try the new NEXON 12 in stasny ( sakic curve ) ..UNREAL stick under 200 bones.
warrior ak47 was another decent mid point stick that i like in the draper (also sakic curve)
sakic is a good curve and lie for the 5"10 and under guys...
Warrior AK you mean. There is no '74' or '47' iteration, only '27'

The Draper is now called the Kopitar in case you wanted to look at the newer sticks.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Guffaw

Stick length, flex, curve, weight, type is all preference. No one can tell you that on a forum. I wasted hundreds on sticks before I found what I like.

Settled on.
-Easton Stealth (Hate the EQ series)
-Sakic/Hall
-100 flex
-cut slightly, maybe an inch or so

The higher the number the better so S19>S17>S15. Rockin' a S15 right now as that's all the wallet can handle right now.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote