HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Viewing (Providers, HD, Online, Etc)

Old
09-23-2011, 09:59 AM
trueblue9441

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
Fios and At&t are a bunch of crybabys......If you all want something do you go crying to your mommys to make them get it for you???? If fios or at&t had their own channels they would've done the same thing MSG did. Why would you give your competitors something you have that they don't????? Obviously most of you fios kool-aid drinkers on here aren't business savy whats so ever. Its all because of your own greed because they don't have something you want. Stop complaining about Cablevision cause fios, att, comcast, cox, direct tv are all the same. Their companies trying to make money cause thats what you do when you own a business. I'm sure most of you on here if you had a business would look to make minimal profits and help out your competitors.
because its illegal to keep it from your competitors? hence the lawsuit

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:04 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I detest Verizon, but I'm sure it's a superior product to Cablevision.

All you need to know about Cablevision is this:

There is an option in the DVR menu to "COPY TO VCR". Do I need to say anything else?

I may switch.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:06 AM
ruckus*

I thought the last time this was brought up someone stated that even if Fios won this decision that there's no way the court can make the two sides agree on the price. Is that true?

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:07 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Fios and At&t are a bunch of crybabys......If you all want something do you go crying to your mommys to make them get it for you???? If fios or at&t had their own channels they would've done the same thing MSG did. Why would you give your competitors something you have that they don't????? Obviously most of you fios kool-aid drinkers on here aren't business savy whats so ever. Its all because of your own greed because they don't have something you want. .

I restructure Billion dollar companies for a living. Is that savy enough to respond?

Cablevision has a conflict of interest, owning local sports teams and their exclusive content. Madison Square Garden has received major tax benefits from NYC because it has a form of public use. Therefore, every service provider to NYC residents has a right to offer that content as every resident has the right to view it. By restricting the highest quality (and intentionally providing a weak SD feed) Cablevision has refused to provide an equal playing field. Someone as "business savy" as yourself should understand the difference between illegal monopolistic greed and savy business practices. There is NOTHING savy about Jim Dolan. He's just the rich spoiled son of a pretty intelligent business executive.

Trying to hold onto the past is one of the best ways to guarantee future failure. Cable companies are obsolete and if they didn't have local monopolies, they'd already be extinct.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:09 AM
skroob**

Too bad FIOS seems to have stopped rollouts to much of the city. Basically, if you arent within reach of their existing network right now, you are out of luck.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:13 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I restructure Billion dollar companies for a living. Is that savy enough to respond?

Cablevision has a conflict of interest, owning local sports teams and their exclusive content. Madison Square Garden has received major tax benefits from NYC because it has a form of public use. Therefore, every service provider to NYC residents has a right to offer that content as every resident has the right to view it. By restricting the highest quality (and intentionally providing a weak SD feed) Cablevision has refused to provide an equal playing field. Someone as "business savy" as yourself should understand the difference between illegal monopolistic greed and savy business practices. There is NOTHING savy about Jim Dolan. He's just the rich spoiled son of a pretty intelligent business executive.

Trying to hold onto the past is one of the best ways to guarantee future failure. Cable companies are obsolete and if they didn't have local monopolies, they'd already be extinct.
Yeah I feel really sorry for Verizon. They are only one of the most evil entities on the planet.

You call this a level playing field? Verizon wrote the book on greed, my friend. Wrote the book!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/05/te.../05secret.html

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:14 AM
McMonster

Great news

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:26 AM
HBK27

Awesome news - I switched to Fios a few months ago after moving and was dreading having to watch games in SD. I'm sure Cablevision will do it's best to continue to prevent this from happening, so can't get too excited yet.

Cablevision's statement is just disgusting:

"Today's disappointing rulings do not appear to be based on the facts," said Cablevision in a statement. "The data clearly demonstrates that there has been no competitive harm to the nation's two largest phone companies as a result of not having two HD channels they already receive in SD. New York is the most competitive market in the country and this decision only hurts fair competition and consumers. Instead of competing on the merits in the marketplace, Verizon and AT&T are manipulating federal law to gain an unfair advantage and we have every intention of pursuing relief in the courts."

1. There is no way any data exists that "clearly" demonstrates no competitive harm as I held out from switching to Fios for years solely because of no MSG/MSG+ in HD and I know that's the case for others.

2. How can Cablevision possibly argue that this hurts consumers?

What a bunch of ********.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:32 AM
broadwayblue

Yeah, love how Cablevision's statement claims this decision "hurts" fair competition. Seems to me if all cable providers had access to the same programming that would make for the truest of competition, considering we as customers would be free to choose our provider based upon price, service and technology.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:36 AM
mullichicken25

if cablevision were to get redzone and the nfl network i'd consider staying

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:47 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27 View Post
Awesome news - I switched to Fios a few months ago after moving and was dreading having to watch games in SD. I'm sure Cablevision will do it's best to continue to prevent this from happening, so can't get too excited yet.

Cablevision's statement is just disgusting:

"Today's disappointing rulings do not appear to be based on the facts," said Cablevision in a statement. "The data clearly demonstrates that there has been no competitive harm to the nation's two largest phone companies as a result of not having two HD channels they already receive in SD. New York is the most competitive market in the country and this decision only hurts fair competition and consumers. Instead of competing on the merits in the marketplace, Verizon and AT&T are manipulating federal law to gain an unfair advantage and we have every intention of pursuing relief in the courts."

1. There is no way any data exists that "clearly" demonstrates no competitive harm as I held out from switching to Fios for years solely because of no MSG/MSG+ in HD and I know that's the case for others.

2. How can Cablevision possibly argue that this hurts consumers?

What a bunch of ********.
me too. I would testify for Verizon, and I am not a Cablevision customer, I have Time Warner. Once this is complete and Verizon is broadcasting in HD, I will look into switching.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 11:16 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
Yeah I feel really sorry for Verizon. They are only one of the most evil entities on the planet.

You call this a level playing field? Verizon wrote the book on greed, my friend. Wrote the book!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/05/te.../05secret.html
I never said Verizon wasn't vile too. But on this issue, Verizon is the lesser of two evils...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 11:51 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Fios and At&t are a bunch of crybabys......If you all want something do you go crying to your mommys to make them get it for you???? If fios or at&t had their own channels they would've done the same thing MSG did. Why would you give your competitors something you have that they don't????? Obviously most of you fios kool-aid drinkers on here aren't business savy whats so ever. Its all because of your own greed because they don't have something you want. Stop complaining about Cablevision cause fios, att, comcast, cox, direct tv are all the same. Their companies trying to make money cause thats what you do when you own a business. I'm sure most of you on here if you had a business would look to make minimal profits and help out your competitors.
So, how long have you worked for Cablevision? I've lived at my current house for 4 years now, and we had Cablevision for the first 3 years, and FiOS for the past year..... CV's service is clearly a grade below Verizon's and the reason they won't turn over the HD feeds of the most popular NY sports teams is because they know it's the only thing keeping many Customers with CV.... A lot of unhappy or discontent CV subscribers and many are jumping at the opportunity, as you can see in this thread, to switch to another cable provider...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:05 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Seems to me if all cable providers had access to the same programming that would make for the truest of competition, considering we as customers would be free to choose our provider based upon price, service and technology.
Exactly. I'm not arguing Verizon isn't evil - both are. But it comes down to fair competition ...take away the conflict of interest, give both companies access to the same programming and who is better?

Fios is vastly superior technology, and with a similar price it pretty much blows away cablevision. This is the reality, and legally cablevision can't use it's monopolistic advantages to maintain a dominant market position. This is painful for cablevision to accept, but it is reality.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:06 PM
redbranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
For everyone still with Cablevision- call them up and say you're going to cancel, like right on the spot. Even if you don't actually intend on this, they'll offer you a pretty good package to stay.
This is somewhat untrue. Sometimes they will, but just as often they will ask you if you'd like them to connect you to their disconnect department. It's what happened to me. Once a billing cycle without you goes on it, they'll start calling, mailing, and showing up at your door. I told them to go to hell, and never contact me again. The time to negotiate with me had passed when they handed me off to disconnect

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:24 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
So, someone want to make a list of all of the different ways in which Fios is superior to TWC/Craplevision?
WWE Classics on Demand

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:44 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
WWE Classics on Demand
Quality of picture

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:01 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Quality of picture
its not cablevision and you're not further stuffing jim dolans pocket with your money

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Gresch04

Quote:
One of the most ignorant posts I've read on the web - and that's saying something in the "wiki" age.

Gresch04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Gresch04

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post

Saved me typing by nailing the reply!

Old
09-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Gresch04

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
So, how long have you worked for Cablevision? I've lived at my current house for 4 years now, and we had Cablevision for the first 3 years, and FiOS for the past year..... CV's service is clearly a grade below Verizon's and the reason they won't turn over the HD feeds of the most popular NY sports teams is because they know it's the only thing keeping many Customers with CV.... A lot of unhappy or discontent CV subscribers and many are jumping at the opportunity, as you can see in this thread, to switch to another cable provider...
Exactly! By stripping CV of an unfair advantage it actually will force them to provide...wait for it...a BETTER PRODUCT and compete on quality! This is now real competition. The Dolan's can't sit on their fat a$$es and pour $$$ into their pockets instead of technology/infrastructure because they have an unfair advantage thus holding subscribers "hostage" because they can't get it elsewhere.

Old
09-23-2011, 01:34 PM
JanErixon20

I called FiOS and discussed switching over from CV, but after all the extras and addons, it was almost the same amount I'm paying now and this was for the medium package, I think they called it "Better." No MSG HD is a deal breaker at that price.

I also heard that the internet connection speed varies on the package you buy. Basically, you get what you pay for.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:47 PM
bettercallstaal
SAMCRO

Sick. I just switched to fios and the one thing I didnt like was the lack of msghd. Its amazing in every other aspect.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I just got back from my local Verizon store... I switched out our older Multi-room DVR for the new black Motorola boxes, which have 500GB of storage capacity.... The swap was free of charge... Please note FiOS users, if you try to upgrade online, they bill you $40.00, if you call your local store (be sure to check that they take cable box returns on Verizon's site), it's free of charge, you just have to go in.... I'm also told from a friend that these newer, updated DVR boxes allow you to plug external hard-drives to them so you can increase your storage capacity even more, should you wish to.

Old
09-23-2011, 03:26 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
So, someone want to make a list of all of the different ways in which Fios is superior to TWC/Craplevision?
Basically this:

-better hardware (cable boxes), their boxes upscale standard definition signals so the SD channels you may or may not watch, have improved picture quality over what I experienced with CV
-excellent & reliable HD picture quality... In our 18 months of FiOS service, we've never lost service (TV or internet)
-no channel drop outs.... With CV we would randomly lose various channels for 1-2 weeks at a time. I know it wasn't an issue with our set up or connection because other CV users would describe the same problem on sites like avsforum.com.
-No video artifacts or audio distortion. For us, for whatever reason with CV, CBS HD would constantly have audio drop-outs and distortion. We could not watch or record shows on this channel because it was unwatchable. Didn't bother me really because I don't watch that channel, but my roommate was pissed off over it... Occasionally it would affect other channels that I did watch
-Better features and service support. Verizon was first to role out the multi-room DVR's so you can watch your recorded programs in any room of the house, and they also offer a well-designed Remote DVR app for smartphones, so you can manage your recordings and create new recordings easily while away from the house, which is clutch if you won't be home in time to catch the game and want to record it while at work

IMHO, this isn't the type of situation where you get a better deal or savings by going to Verizon, it's that Verizon provides the level or quality of service that Cablevision should be providing! After switching, CV feels old and outdated, and I suspect their large Customer base is the culprit for why many subscribers have problems with channel signals dropping out for days or weeks at a time.... They haven't upgraded their infrastructure sufficiently to keep up with the times, and they haven't acknowledged that they need to provide a better quality product/service to compete with their competitors.