HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Pre #3|Sep 22, 2011|Red Wings vs. Flyers @ London, ON|7:00 p.m. ET

Old
09-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Kyleftlx
twitter*****/kyle_ftl

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kyleftlx
I can't believe somebody would do that. That banana peel incident is going to probably be the biggest story of the preseason, and it's such an embarrassing thing as a hockey fan, as a Red Wings fan especially.

I really hope you guys over here aren't lumping all Red Wings fans as being racist, because I was reading some pretty awful tweets today talking about how awful and racist Red Wings fans are. I can promise that we are feeling just as angered and disappointed about this incident as anyone else in the world is.

On another note, I am excited to be able to actually watch the game today, because last night it was only available to locals in the Philadelphia area.

Kyleftlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleftlx View Post
I can't believe somebody would do that. That banana peel incident is going to probably be the biggest story of the preseason, and it's such an embarrassing thing as a hockey fan, as a Red Wings fan especially.

I really hope you guys over here aren't lumping all Red Wings fans as being racist, because I was reading some pretty awful tweets today talking about how awful and racist Red Wings fans are. I can promise that we are feeling just as angered and disappointed about this incident as anyone else in the world is.

On another note, I am excited to be able to actually watch the game today, because last night it was only available to locals in the Philadelphia area.
Whoever did it wasn't a hockey fan. They were a thug looking to cause trouble. It has no bearing upon the red wings and their organisation at all.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:34 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Voracek and Nodl looked good together too, vs. Toronto.
Voracek looked good, Nodl looked like someone who couldn't finish his awesome passes. Like Powe used to be with Giroux. If Jagr and Voracek get together, it's going to be amazing.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:35 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Whoever did it wasn't a hockey fan. They were a thug looking to cause trouble. It has no bearing upon the red wings and their organisation at all.
And how do you know this with any degree of certainty? Hockey fans can be low-brows, too. You don't think there were many Canucks fans right in the middle of the Vancouver riots? I'm not dumping on the Red Wings org or fanbase; it's just too easy a blanket pardon for our fellow hockey fanciers.

What I'd like to see in an instance like this is that the ref stops the play and penalizes the home team. Last night, he could have whistled down Simmonds and signalled an automatic goal. Or during a play in regulation, stop the play and issue a bench minor. Of course, that opens up the prospect of fans of the visitors intentionally pulling these stunts; that's the weak spot of my argument.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:02 PM
facts

And we know it was a Wings fan how? Regardless, it is a cowardly gutless act, and that person will get theirs one of these days. My question is how do you get a banana into an arena ? And when this person is found out, I bet you they claim the open banana peel was to mock an octopus. This is such a ignorant act, hockey or day to day life just doesn't need this.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:08 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
What I'd like to see in an instance like this is that the ref stops the play and penalizes the home team. Last night, he could have whistled down Simmonds and signalled an automatic goal. Or during a play in regulation, stop the play and issue a bench minor. Of course, that opens up the prospect of fans of the visitors intentionally pulling these stunts; that's the weak spot of my argument.
In this case though, we were actually the "home" team. It's an isolated circumstance so that wouldn't usually apply, but hopefully something like this doesn't happen again anyway.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:26 PM
BobbySmithFan

I hate to "localize" this issue...but if this happened in Vancouver, you would see endless threads about how scummy the city is.

When it happened in Eurpopean soccer, ESPN did a special on racism in soccer.

No one wants to go after the NHL's sacred cow of "Hockey Town."

BobbySmithFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
And how do you know this with any degree of certainty? Hockey fans can be low-brows, too. You don't think there were many Canucks fans right in the middle of the Vancouver riots? I'm not dumping on the Red Wings org or fanbase; it's just too easy a blanket pardon for our fellow hockey fanciers.

If you pull that stunt off in an arena, you are not a hockey fan. Just like a football hooligan going to the matches so they can arrange fights isn't a football fan.

I don't care how many matches you attend or watch. It's a disgrace and the red wings shouldn't be blasted for one idiot in the crowd. I really hope that the crowd identified him.

Old
09-23-2011, 01:46 PM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySmithFan View Post
I hate to "localize" this issue...but if this happened in Vancouver, you would see endless threads about how scummy the city is.

When it happened in Eurpopean soccer, ESPN did a special on racism in soccer.

No one wants to go after the NHL's sacred cow of "Hockey Town."
This didn't happen in Detroit, it happened in London, Ontario. Had nothing to do with Hockey Town.

DatsyukianDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:05 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

i hope they dont start checking for bannanas in peoples pockets. things could get weird.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:00 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

My thoughts on the banana peel incident...

More Than Just A Banana Peel Was Hurled At Philadelphia Flyers Forward Wayne Simmonds

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i hope they dont start checking for bannanas in peoples pockets. things could get weird.
Security Officer: "Sir, I feel a banana in your pocket."

Sir: "Nope"

09-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
That is a seriously long article for one racist idiot

Old
09-23-2011, 09:01 PM
EagleBlack87
Score ze goals

Quote:
That is a seriously long article for one racist idiot
Seriously. A daunting task indeed. Anyone have the cliff's notes version of the article?

EagleBlack87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
This didn't happen in Detroit, it happened in London, Ontario. Had nothing to do with Hockey Town.
There were a lot of American Wings fans there last night, and half the rink was wearing red jerseys. I highly doubt it was a Flyer fan who threw the banana at one of their own players. Pity they didn't catch the moron....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 11:11 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
If you pull that stunt off in an arena, you are not a hockey fan. Just like a football hooligan going to the matches so they can arrange fights isn't a football fan.

I don't care how many matches you attend or watch. It's a disgrace and the red wings shouldn't be blasted for one idiot in the crowd. I really hope that the crowd identified him.
How do you define a hockey fan, then? I know what you're getting at, that it's a premeditated act, but I still offer that a "fan" who actually enjoys the hockey can multi-task and moonlight as a racist idiot.

TSN devoted a good bit of tape to getting player reaction, and I'm really impressed with how Simmonds handled it. Unfortunately, I'm thinking that black hockey players have probably all had a chance to react to moronic racist gestures. Mike Babcock complimented Simmonds' focus on continuing the play and burying his SO chance, and added "We're beyond this (racist gesture)."

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 02:30 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Security Officer: "Sir, I feel a banana in your pocket."

Sir: "Nope"
I feel so stupid for laughing at this..

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote