HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Pre #3|Sep 22, 2011|Red Wings vs. Flyers @ London, ON|7:00 p.m. ET

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-23-2011, 11:33 AM
  #226
Kyleftlx
twitter*****/kyle_ftl
 
Kyleftlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan!
Country: United States
Posts: 900
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kyleftlx
I can't believe somebody would do that. That banana peel incident is going to probably be the biggest story of the preseason, and it's such an embarrassing thing as a hockey fan, as a Red Wings fan especially.

I really hope you guys over here aren't lumping all Red Wings fans as being racist, because I was reading some pretty awful tweets today talking about how awful and racist Red Wings fans are. I can promise that we are feeling just as angered and disappointed about this incident as anyone else in the world is.

On another note, I am excited to be able to actually watch the game today, because last night it was only available to locals in the Philadelphia area.

Kyleftlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:14 PM
  #227
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleftlx View Post
I can't believe somebody would do that. That banana peel incident is going to probably be the biggest story of the preseason, and it's such an embarrassing thing as a hockey fan, as a Red Wings fan especially.

I really hope you guys over here aren't lumping all Red Wings fans as being racist, because I was reading some pretty awful tweets today talking about how awful and racist Red Wings fans are. I can promise that we are feeling just as angered and disappointed about this incident as anyone else in the world is.

On another note, I am excited to be able to actually watch the game today, because last night it was only available to locals in the Philadelphia area.
Whoever did it wasn't a hockey fan. They were a thug looking to cause trouble. It has no bearing upon the red wings and their organisation at all.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:34 PM
  #228
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Voracek and Nodl looked good together too, vs. Toronto.
Voracek looked good, Nodl looked like someone who couldn't finish his awesome passes. Like Powe used to be with Giroux. If Jagr and Voracek get together, it's going to be amazing.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:35 PM
  #229
BernieParent
HFB Partner
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Whoever did it wasn't a hockey fan. They were a thug looking to cause trouble. It has no bearing upon the red wings and their organisation at all.
And how do you know this with any degree of certainty? Hockey fans can be low-brows, too. You don't think there were many Canucks fans right in the middle of the Vancouver riots? I'm not dumping on the Red Wings org or fanbase; it's just too easy a blanket pardon for our fellow hockey fanciers.

What I'd like to see in an instance like this is that the ref stops the play and penalizes the home team. Last night, he could have whistled down Simmonds and signalled an automatic goal. Or during a play in regulation, stop the play and issue a bench minor. Of course, that opens up the prospect of fans of the visitors intentionally pulling these stunts; that's the weak spot of my argument.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:02 PM
  #230
facts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 885
vCash: 500
And we know it was a Wings fan how? Regardless, it is a cowardly gutless act, and that person will get theirs one of these days. My question is how do you get a banana into an arena ? And when this person is found out, I bet you they claim the open banana peel was to mock an octopus. This is such a ignorant act, hockey or day to day life just doesn't need this.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:08 PM
  #231
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,614
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
What I'd like to see in an instance like this is that the ref stops the play and penalizes the home team. Last night, he could have whistled down Simmonds and signalled an automatic goal. Or during a play in regulation, stop the play and issue a bench minor. Of course, that opens up the prospect of fans of the visitors intentionally pulling these stunts; that's the weak spot of my argument.
In this case though, we were actually the "home" team. It's an isolated circumstance so that wouldn't usually apply, but hopefully something like this doesn't happen again anyway.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:26 PM
  #232
BobbySmithFan
Registered User
 
BobbySmithFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hollywood North
Country: Canada
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
I hate to "localize" this issue...but if this happened in Vancouver, you would see endless threads about how scummy the city is.

When it happened in Eurpopean soccer, ESPN did a special on racism in soccer.

No one wants to go after the NHL's sacred cow of "Hockey Town."

BobbySmithFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:35 PM
  #233
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
And how do you know this with any degree of certainty? Hockey fans can be low-brows, too. You don't think there were many Canucks fans right in the middle of the Vancouver riots? I'm not dumping on the Red Wings org or fanbase; it's just too easy a blanket pardon for our fellow hockey fanciers.

What I'd like to see in an instance like this is that the ref stops the play and penalizes the home team. Last night, he could have whistled down Simmonds and signalled an automatic goal. Or during a play in regulation, stop the play and issue a bench minor. Of course, that opens up the prospect of fans of the visitors intentionally pulling these stunts; that's the weak spot of my argument.
If you pull that stunt off in an arena, you are not a hockey fan. Just like a football hooligan going to the matches so they can arrange fights isn't a football fan.

I don't care how many matches you attend or watch. It's a disgrace and the red wings shouldn't be blasted for one idiot in the crowd. I really hope that the crowd identified him.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:46 PM
  #234
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle
 
DatsyukianDeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySmithFan View Post
I hate to "localize" this issue...but if this happened in Vancouver, you would see endless threads about how scummy the city is.

When it happened in Eurpopean soccer, ESPN did a special on racism in soccer.

No one wants to go after the NHL's sacred cow of "Hockey Town."
This didn't happen in Detroit, it happened in London, Ontario. Had nothing to do with Hockey Town.

DatsyukianDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:05 PM
  #235
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
i hope they dont start checking for bannanas in peoples pockets. things could get weird.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:00 PM
  #236
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,070
vCash: 500
My thoughts on the banana peel incident...

More Than Just A Banana Peel Was Hurled At Philadelphia Flyers Forward Wayne Simmonds

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:07 PM
  #237
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,913
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i hope they dont start checking for bannanas in peoples pockets. things could get weird.
Security Officer: "Sir, I feel a banana in your pocket."

Sir: "Nope"

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:21 PM
  #238
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
That is a seriously long article for one racist idiot

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:01 PM
  #239
EagleBlack87
Score ze goals
 
EagleBlack87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
That is a seriously long article for one racist idiot
Seriously. A daunting task indeed. Anyone have the cliff's notes version of the article?

EagleBlack87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:36 PM
  #240
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
This didn't happen in Detroit, it happened in London, Ontario. Had nothing to do with Hockey Town.
There were a lot of American Wings fans there last night, and half the rink was wearing red jerseys. I highly doubt it was a Flyer fan who threw the banana at one of their own players. Pity they didn't catch the moron....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 11:11 PM
  #241
BernieParent
HFB Partner
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
If you pull that stunt off in an arena, you are not a hockey fan. Just like a football hooligan going to the matches so they can arrange fights isn't a football fan.

I don't care how many matches you attend or watch. It's a disgrace and the red wings shouldn't be blasted for one idiot in the crowd. I really hope that the crowd identified him.
How do you define a hockey fan, then? I know what you're getting at, that it's a premeditated act, but I still offer that a "fan" who actually enjoys the hockey can multi-task and moonlight as a racist idiot.

TSN devoted a good bit of tape to getting player reaction, and I'm really impressed with how Simmonds handled it. Unfortunately, I'm thinking that black hockey players have probably all had a chance to react to moronic racist gestures. Mike Babcock complimented Simmonds' focus on continuing the play and burying his SO chance, and added "We're beyond this (racist gesture)."

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 02:30 AM
  #242
Latex*
DM is good
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki,Helsingfors
Posts: 5,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Security Officer: "Sir, I feel a banana in your pocket."

Sir: "Nope"
I feel so stupid for laughing at this..

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.