HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn powerplay point man?

Old
09-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

vCash: 500
Andrei Kostitsyn powerplay point man?

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=589528

On point: Preseason games are the perfect forum for a coach to run some practical experiments and Jacques Martin has a plan to do just that. During the Habs’ Friday morning skate, hours away from their matchup against the Ottawa Senators, the Canadiens head coach, called on an unexpected candidate to man the point on the powerplay.

“When you look at tonight’s lineup, we can only have defensemen Weber, Diaz and Yemelin on the blue-line for our powerplay. This gives us the chance to try out Andrei [Kostitsyn] on the point during the man advantage,” explained Martin, while also pointing out that this could become a common occurrence during the regular season depending on how things go. “We know that during the year we sometimes need a forward to play that position. Last year Tomas Plekanec filled that roll from time to time. Tonight will be an experiment. After all, that’s what training camp is for.”

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Hexenzesene

Why not

Hexenzesene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:37 PM
PricePkPatch

He sure has QB potential and a killer wrister. I am afraid for the defensive liability he might become, but he sure would speed up the transition into the opponents zone if he's the 4th attacker.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Roulin

Good! AK isn't anything special up front on the PP, and we know he has a great shot. This makes a lot of sense to me, more than putting Plek back there.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

I agree with everything you all are saying. But like was mentioned his defensive liability could be an issue. But thats what pre season is for. Work out the kinks if all goes well. I like it though

Old
09-23-2011, 12:40 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Good! AK isn't anything special up front on the PP, and we know he has a great shot. This makes a lot of sense to me, more than putting Plek back there.
Disagree. Andrei's one of the few big bodies we have to park in front of the goalie, and he usually does a pretty good job in that role.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Andy

Wow. Big vote of confidence from Jacques to Andrei. I'm so happy he's trying it out, there is so much potential in this move.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Disagree. Andrei's one of the few big bodies we have to park in front of the goalie, and he usually does a pretty good job in that role.
Since when does he park in front of the net. I usually see him skating around in circles with the puck.

Old
09-23-2011, 12:45 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
Since when does he park in front of the net. I usually see him skating around in circles with the puck.
I guess we're not watching the same powerplays then. Kostitsyn does a good job creating space for Plekanec and Cammalleri. Very underrated in that respect, I'd say.

On the other hand, I don't really see the logic in putting him on the point. He has a great wrister but I can't remember the last time I saw him take a slapshot. His vision is pretty poor, and he's not terribly fast which means he's going to have a hard time catching anyone if they get by him on the point.

But hey, preseason is all about experimenting...

Old
09-23-2011, 12:47 PM
habitue*

Not sure about that...

Maybe on the right point with P.K. on the left side to unload his big shot... But A.K. is not a playmaker.

until Markov is back, Weber can do the job, even Spacek or Yemelin.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
I guess we're not watching the same powerplays then. Kostitsyn does a good job creating space for Plekanec and Cammalleri. Very underrated in that respect, I'd say.

On the other hand, I don't really see the logic in putting him on the point. He has a great wrister but I can't remember the last time I saw him take a slapshot. His vision is pretty poor, and he's not terribly fast which means he's going to have a hard time catching anyone if they get by him on the point.

I think it has to do more with their relationship and giving Andrei confidence. Even if he were to be our point man in the reg season he is still faster than a lot of point men in the league. We both have valid points its just a matter of seeing what happens

Old
09-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=589528

On point: Preseason games are the perfect forum for a coach to run some practical experiments and Jacques Martin has a plan to do just that. During the Habs’ Friday morning skate, hours away from their matchup against the Ottawa Senators, the Canadiens head coach, called on an unexpected candidate to man the point on the powerplay.

“When you look at tonight’s lineup, we can only have defensemen Weber, Diaz and Yemelin on the blue-line for our powerplay. This gives us the chance to try out Andrei [Kostitsyn] on the point during the man advantage,” explained Martin, while also pointing out that this could become a common occurrence during the regular season depending on how things go. “We know that during the year we sometimes need a forward to play that position. Last year Tomas Plekanec filled that roll from time to time. Tonight will be an experiment. After all, that’s what training camp is for.”
I don't mind the experiment, but he is more dangerous from 30 feet in than 50-60 feet as his wrister is a much bigger weapon that his slapper.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:50 PM
shamrun

Quote:

He actually has a great slap shot. His one timer on the other hand is not so great. 5-3 i would put him on the point though but this a great opportunity for him o gain pp time.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Roulin

Quote:
IMO, Pacioretty is better in that role. Gionta isn't big, but he is still good in front of the net, he's quick on rebounds and good in tight. We'll see how Cole fits in.

Also just my opinion, but I like Cammalleri, Cole, Gionta, Pacioretty and Desharnais as PP wingers more than AK. I think Kostitsyn has been most useful at even strength, in his NHL career.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:54 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I think it has to do more with their relationship and giving Andrei confidence. Even if he were to be our point man in the reg season he is still faster than a lot of point men in the league. We both have valid points its just a matter of seeing what happens
You're right. And like you said, anything that improves his relationship with Jacko is a positive thing, so we'll just have to see where this goes.

Old
09-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Ross MacLochness

I wish Andrei's ability to connect on the one-timer wasn't so erratic. If he could master that I think he'd be a decent option on the point.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
I wish Andrei's ability to connect on the one-timer wasn't so erratic. If he could master that I think he'd be a decent option on the point.
Maybe he has over the off season who knows. I know he could be absolutely lethal if he masters the one timer.

Old
09-23-2011, 01:02 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

It's preseason... Might as well... Can't possibly see the downside in this.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:10 PM
PricePkPatch

For those not sur about AK's hockey smarts that is usually needed for the best QB, consider that AK can usually connect incredible passes with great skill. Setting him up with PK might prove to be great.

Otherwise, a Markov-AK pairing could also be a winning combination.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
How about using big Hal "sasquatch" Gill?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
AK does plant himself in front of the net but I think he stays pretty static. He won't go chasing after the puck that goes behind the net which will sometimes cause us to lose control. I think it'll be good to try him on the point. Only if he lets his shot go though

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

If anyone I like moen in front of the net. That way AK can work his potential magic

Old
09-23-2011, 01:21 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Desagree.. Its one thing to be big and have the skills on your side, another to have the instinct to be effective in front of the net, and this is not A.Kost game as far as Im concerned, never could establish himself as a solid contributor on the PP.. He still has everything to prove.. I think trying him on the point is a good idea, now lets see if it works..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:22 PM
NewEraGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
no no no no no....

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:22 PM
PK76

I've always wanted to see AK man the point on the PP since he's got one of the hardest and most accurate shots on the team (although he's more accurate with his wicked wrister). Now is a good time to give him a shot at the point. I still remember a few years ago when they tried him on the point and he would let some cannons go but they would often be off target. The most important factor would be for him to handle the pressure that he could have by playing at the blue line and not turn the puck over but he definitly has some potential for that role.

Let them bombs go A.K.!

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote