HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Where were all the fans on Thursday?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-24-2003, 02:04 PM
  #1
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Where were all the fans on Thursday?

....The Fleece looked like it had alot less than 12000 people in it on TV....What's the story? The B's were fresh off a great road trip. Now, I'm not saying you guys up there should shell out the big bucks for a ticket, but what do you think? Were the Bruins flat because the place was dead or because of the jet lag? Also, why does it seem the road games are more exciting? Maybe it's the switching of the uni's !

WBC8 is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 02:09 PM
  #2
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 27,162
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
....The Fleece looked like it had alot less than 12000 people in it on TV....What's the story? The B's were fresh off a great road trip. Now, I'm not saying you guys up there should shell out the big bucks for a ticket, but what do you think? Were the Bruins flat because the place was dead or because of the jet lag? Also, why does it seem the road games are more exciting? Maybe it's the switching of the uni's !
I had class but 'might' be going next week to Habs- still have the tix

DKH is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 02:23 PM
  #3
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I certainly don't feel that people should be doaling out the bucks to go, but has there been any media attention on the turnout?

WBC8 is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 02:25 PM
  #4
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
I certainly don't feel that people should be doaling out the bucks to go, but has there been any media attention on the turnout?
i think it was the herald who had a piece on it today- maybe karen guregian (sp?). i read bits and pieces, and the only quote i remember was "fool me once, blah blah blah, fool me twice, i'm a sucker"...or something like that

neelynugs is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 02:25 PM
  #5
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 33,972
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
I certainly don't feel that people should be doaling out the bucks to go, but has there been any media attention on the turnout?

there is no media attention period aside from our daily paper writers..

as a matter of fact the ONLY thing I heard on Sports Radio today was..

" Geez, that HD TV signal on NESN is really lifelike. All those empty seats look real ".



I kid you not...

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 02:35 PM
  #6
misterjaggers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Duke City
Country: United States
Posts: 14,273
vCash: 500
If you know something about hockey, you won't shell out big bucks to watch Carolina's un-Hurricane-like trap strangle the excitement out of the game.

Do you remember how exciting Olympic hockey was a few years ago? What a difference no red line makes!

misterjaggers is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 02:42 PM
  #7
Ratty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Rive Gauche
Posts: 5,811
vCash: 500
It is disappointing to see so many emply seats. I had thought that, given to good west coast trip, the baseball interest snuffed out, Pats playing a weak opponent, Celts season no yet started, they'd be a sellout.

Apparently this team is not turning the fans on. The Herald today had about five articles on Bruins. Even a headline about the rookie coach's view on Grady Little.

Maybe it is the ticket prices and overall cost of the New Garden event.
Maybe its the lack of a superstar, although Thornton should sell some tickets. I just don't understand the lack of enthusiasm for this team.

Ratty is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 02:50 PM
  #8
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 33,972
vCash: 50
Awards:
I think it boils down to JJ having a bad reputation,

desrved or not , a bad rep is about as easy to fix as putting toothpaste back in the tube.

The onus is truly upon him to really show a committment to building a winner. It will take some time and real effort.

If that were to happen ..people like myself will pay.. will return...

I really believe that...

Gee Wally is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 02:58 PM
  #9
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
I think it boils down to JJ having a bad reputation,

desrved or not , a bad rep is about as easy to fix as putting toothpaste back in the tube.

The onus is truly upon him to really show a committment to building a winner. It will take some time and real effort.

If that were to happen ..people like myself will pay.. will return...

I really believe that...
I think we have seen the same thing and wondered aloud about it for the past three seasons. Attendance doesnt pick up until November every season....and doesnt get very good until after the holidays. I think if you look back in the archives you will find an identical thread this time last year.

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 03:02 PM
  #10
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 27,162
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
I think we have seen the same thing and wondered aloud about it for the past three seasons. Attendance doesnt pick up until November every season....and doesnt get very good until after the holidays. I think if you look back in the archives you will find an identical thread this time last year.
thats exactly it- heck, the baseball team has barely been lowered into the ground yet...football is upon us; its usually around Thanksgiving. I remember last year at a October or November Leafs game the place was empty. Couldn't have been 10,000...I think Ax scored in OT but not sure if that was the game.

The Broons win games, people will show up earlier; but generally it all starts on the Friday afternoon game day after Thanksgiving.

DKH is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 03:08 PM
  #11
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 33,972
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
I think we have seen the same thing and wondered aloud about it for the past three seasons. Attendance doesnt pick up until November every season....and doesnt get very good until after the holidays. I think if you look back in the archives you will find an identical thread this time last year.

even though the archives are gone...you are correct...attendance does pick up with Holiday sales and Winter setting in...

however... that may get it from 11k to 14k a night "paid"...
in reality there will on most nights be 3 to 4000 empties...
it's up to him to get those seats filled... If the team flounders badly.. Providence may out draw them.
He has to at some point strongly pressure his management team to excel.

I think that MOC along with the scouting dept. has made great , great progress... but lets face it..it's us lunatics that know and talk about it..
The average Joe Fan ,,that most of us work with are taking the Missouri "show me" stance..
I can't say I blame them...
Wins will bring fans and fill the place if folks think there is a real shot.
Look at what scalpers were getting for Sox games.
When I was a kid it was the same for the Bruins..

Gee Wally is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 03:20 PM
  #12
DArnold850
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
I know it's fashionable among the "non-hockey" crowd to hoot and holler when the Fleetcenter has a lot of empty seats, like last night. The fact is, even going back to the late days of the Garden, the Bruins are a tough early-season sell, especially on week (school) nights. Let's face facts here: a Thursday night tilt against the Carolina Hurricances would be a tough sell even for a true "die hard" Bruins fan. The Bruins will do noticeably better on weekends (and they don't play a weekend hone game until November 1st), and even better than that after Thanksgiving, just as they always do. Prices are high, and even great fans have to cherry pick when they can go, and will be choosy who they want to see. The incredible Red Sox run has buried this team in all areas of the media (yes, especially on Sportsradio), so only the died-in-the-wool fan even has a grasp of the team. The peripheral hockey fan still has it in their heads that "Jeremy Jacobs won't spend the money, the best players leave every year, this team stunk the second half of last season and had an early playoff exit, and this team will be worse than last year." Those of us who follow the product a little more closely feel that this is acutally an improved Bruins' team, but the rest of the sports world will have to play catch up. The earlier poster was exactly correct --- last night's attendance was about par for the course for a weeknight in October. And unfortunately, high definition TV probably does make the empty seats more visible. Thankfully not that many of us have high def yet (LOL).

Dale

DArnold850 is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 03:24 PM
  #13
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 33,972
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DArnold850

And unfortunately, high definition TV probably does make the empty seats more visible. Thankfully not that many of us have high def yet (LOL).

Dale
Dale,

that nugget was courtesy of "The Big O " tonight...

give him a dope slap when you see him..


Gee Wally is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 03:28 PM
  #14
misterjaggers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Duke City
Country: United States
Posts: 14,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DArnold850
I know it's fashionable among the "non-hockey" crowd to hoot and holler when the Fleetcenter has a lot of empty seats, like last night. The fact is, even going back to the late days of the Garden, the Bruins are a tough early-season sell, especially on week (school) nights. Let's face facts here: a Thursday night tilt against the Carolina Hurricances would be a tough sell even for a true "die hard" Bruins fan... unfortunately, high definition TV probably does make the empty seats more visible. Thankfully not that many of us have high def yet (LOL).

Dale
It's a little ironic that 'The Economist' expects HDTV to save the NHL, (along with a salary cap):
http://www.economist.com/displaystor...ory_id=2150850

misterjaggers is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 03:29 PM
  #15
BruinsGoon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Providence
Country: United States
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
It's because 11,500 fans were sitting in the affordable 301-330 Section seats, out of camera range.

BruinsGoon is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 03:33 PM
  #16
DArnold850
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
I actually think HD will be a boon for the NHL as well. It's just going to take a little while for everyone to catch up to the technology and the economics of it. I've been told that no sport benefits more from the HD revolution than hockey, so eventually I DO think it will be a great benefit.

Dale

DArnold850 is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 03:37 PM
  #17
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 33,972
vCash: 50
Awards:
my next door neighbor has it ( damn Rangers fan )..othwerwise a great guy.

and to watch a game on it is pretty amazing.

the wide screen gives you a much better view of more ice surface.
and the crispness and detail is incredible...
pretty close to "being there" if there is such a thing.

I'm hoping to talk the Bride into it after tax time..

Gee Wally is offline  
Old
10-25-2003, 01:12 AM
  #18
sagginb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maine
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
What is all this talk about HD-TV?

Here in maine i'm just happy to be able to "see" all the B's games again!
Anyway..my son loves week night games because he gets to stay up late to hold the rabbit ears pointed slightly south west...hehehe
Just kidding!

I don't think we have to worry at this point about ticket sales in October.
I don't think even I would shell out the bucks, travel down I-95 and get back home sooo late just to see the Canes!
Even if Hill get clubbed a couple of times..hehe.

If the B's keeps a competitive/stable team on the ice all season the fans will get out to the games.
Boston Bruins fans love a team that's in the mix...
I think this team will be in the mix this season.

Give it time...Go B's!

sagginb is offline  
Old
10-25-2003, 09:31 AM
  #19
hardbody77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
I love it !!!
my bruins are winning and the fleet is empty(poor jacob$)oh in case u wondered why jacobs is doing interviews after all these years, its because he realizes fans are not buying into his bs....
Us Bruin fans should stay home and watch the game and continue to follow the team without fattening jacob$ pockets
he and sinden have completely deprived this team of any shot at winning in the past 10 years. .. now they are getting the point!!!!!!!

hardbody77 is offline  
Old
10-25-2003, 11:00 AM
  #20
nhlbruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New England
Country: United States
Posts: 1,274
vCash: 500
i think they'd do better overall by lowering ticket prices for weekday (mon-thurs, not including holidays) games a little bit. i mean the fact is, as dale said, we have to cherry pick which games to go to. the student and family nights are great, but on top of that we need more to fill the seats all the other nights...by lowering the prices, they should sell more, which should equal out or maybe even earn more of a profit....and if it is just equal, at least the building is closer to capacity, we look like we care, and the players see and hear support

nhlbruin is offline  
Old
10-25-2003, 11:42 AM
  #21
nhlbruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New England
Country: United States
Posts: 1,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbody77
I love it !!!
my bruins are winning and the fleet is empty(poor jacob$)oh in case u wondered why jacobs is doing interviews after all these years, its because he realizes fans are not buying into his bs....
Us Bruin fans should stay home and watch the game and continue to follow the team without fattening jacob$ pockets
he and sinden have completely deprived this team of any shot at winning in the past 10 years. .. now they are getting the point!!!!!!!
ummmm....no. they are not "getting the point." this is certainly not the first time the place has been far from capacity even though the team is winning...especially in the beginning of the season. plus, when you take into consideration the fact that by the time people did start showing up the team tanked last year, the empty seats make even more sense. you know, maybe i'm a sucker, but what's the point of following a team that you hate as much as you love? what's the point of always staying home, depriving yourself of the thrill and enjoyment of going to a game? first of all, we really don't know what goes on behind closed doors. it's not as though they're dead last or in the bottom few in the league in payroll. as much as it pains me to agree with jacobs, he's right in saying that the team had a payroll very close to last year's cup winners last season, and that it's more about where the money is spent than how much total. if the team tanks and the money proves to be going to the wrong place AGAIN, MO'C should be fired...but we have to wait and see what happens first. how can you say they've deprived this team of any chance of winning in the past 10 years? must we revisit the stories of our departed brethren? dafoe? yeah, great pickup by atlanta. guerin? i'd LOVE to still have him, but even the stars tried to dump him this summer but couldn't due to his salary. khristich? we stole that 2nd rounder from toronto. the list goes on...perhaps its players they've acquired that you are referring to. coffey, hackett, stevens...i agree, they're busts. but doesn't every team have busts? besides, in these days of the watered down nhl every team has a chance to win. a team with thornton, murray, samsonov, knuble, rolston, boynton, etc...should be considered a pretty good team that has just as good a chance as anaheim did last season. look at the florida marlins right now...the patriots a few years ago...etc....oh, and isn't jacobs speaking now a good thing? isn't that what we've been calling for for the last 30 years? how can you complain about him doing something that you probably complained about him not doing before? i'm not trying to be an apologist for jacobs and the front office, but a realist. there's a lot in professional sports that goes on behind closed doors that we never know about, and most importantly, it is a business. How many businesses that you know of don't try to make a profit or don't care when they're losing money? i used to think the same way as you and many others, but have since changed my thinking. i'm tired of the same old complaints, many of which don't even apply anymore. we should all sort of back off, clear our thinking, and start over with a fresh slate...it makes following the team fun again.

nhlbruin is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.