HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Sean Couturier dilemma

Old
09-23-2011, 07:38 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
The Sean Couturier dilemma

What is the best thing for Couturier this year?

a. Another year in junior to let him develop and put on some size? However, does he really need another year dominating in the Q against 17 year olds?

b. He makes the Flyers. But then what? He plays 4th line center? Gets pushed to wing on the third line? Gets 5 minutes a game?

It is a tough decision. I personally would like him in the AHL, but the rules will not permit him in the AHL with a year of junior eligibility. So, I imagine he plays 10 games in Philly, sent back to Junior, makes the Canadian World Junior team, plays in the AHL playoffs after Junior. That sound about right?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 07:41 AM
BringBackStevens

It's not a tough decision. He should go back to juniors

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 07:43 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post

a. Another year in junior to let him develop and put on some size? However, does he really need another year dominating in the Q against 17 year olds?

b. He makes the Flyers. But then what? He plays 4th line center? Gets pushed to wing on the third line? Gets 5 minutes a game?

It is a tough decision. I personally would like him in the AHL, but the rules will not permit him in the AHL with a year of junior eligibility. So, I imagine he plays 10 games in Philly, sent back to Junior, makes the Canadian World Junior team, plays in the AHL playoffs after Junior. That sound about right?
I wouldn't mind seeing that. I could very well be off here as well, but I think it's only 9 games he can play if we want to slide his contract.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 07:56 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Junior...he's not ready yet.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:16 AM
phillyfanatic

I agree he isn't ready for the NHL but I also think another year of Junior is not really going to do much for him. I would like to see him in the AHL.....too bad that is impossible...

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Snotbubbles

Send him back to Juniors with a specific workout and dietary regimine.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:38 AM
DUHockey9

I also don't think it's a tough decision either.

He was a long shot to make the team even if he was playing well, imo, and I personally don't feel he's been impressive at all (disclosure: I couldn't see last night due to the crappy stream. I saw a few good tweets about him though).

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:49 AM
VanSciver

Couturier will make the decision.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:06 AM
dookie88

I'd like him to play at the World Juniors and dominate. This has been a huge developping step for other players.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I'm pretty sure he'll get sent back and I want him to.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:15 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
It's not a tough decision. He should go back to juniors
This x1000. Treat him the same way we did Giroux, let him come up slowly and when he is ready.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:59 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

He has not yet filled into his frame, juniors for him

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:07 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
jrs.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
This x1000. Treat him the same way we did Giroux, let him come up slowly and when he is ready.
I thought he played a very strong game last night. Lavy used him in the OT, on the PK and PP. He was solid playing vs. Filpulla, but I still think he should play in the Q this year, with the knowledge that if he works hard, fills out his frame etc. he will be a Flyer next year.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:32 AM
turkinaa

Juniors. I'd rather see him playing above everyone else and dominate them than see him get under 10 minutes a night. He just needs to get a full season in after his bout with mono to get into real game shape and fill out him frame. Next year will be the bigger question as to if him breaks into the NHL or playings in the minors another season (much like how Giroux spent part of the season in the AHL before coming up).

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Interesting quote from Homer:

Quote:
One of the most telling comments from Holmgren re: Couturier was his reference to past 1st rounders who made team because of defensive game.
Quote:
When Holmgren start citing the names of Justin Williams, Simon Gagne, & Dainius Zubrus, you get a feeling that Couturier really has a shot.
-AnthonyMingioni

I think Homer is leaning more towards Couturier is going to make the team than not.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:43 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post

That isn't part of the NHL option. He won't be on the 4th line. It'll be 9 games on one of the top 3 lines, or nothing.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:48 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Interesting quote from Homer:

-AnthonyMingioni

I think Homer is leaning more towards Couturier is going to make the team than not.
Agreed I think Lavi is as well. They sent Giroux back to Jrs to specifically develop his defensive game. He is not a good comparison the names mentioned above specifically Gagne are. Hes going to get time with the Flyers no doubt in my mind otherwise he wouldn't have gotten an ELC so soon. He has played LW in the past and what do you know our only spot open on a 3rd line with wayne simmonds and Brayden Schenn is LW. I believe they are going to want the 3 of them to develop good chemistry together as soon as possible and get groomed for 2nd line duties in the next coming years. But I doubt he gets sent back if he gets NHL action this year

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

It's between him and Read IMO

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:56 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

If he makes the team, I want him on Briere's wing, with Hartnell next to Schenn and Simmonds. That 3rd line would be pretty brutal to play against.

That being said, I hope he gets sent down after 9 games and works his ass off next summer to get physically ready, ie. throwing around gigantic tires and racing horses.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:59 PM
PointL00kout

Back to the QMHL for another year. He's not ready IMO.

PointL00kout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:13 PM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
It's between him and Read IMO
Nice to read (no pun intended) this as I totally agree. I see Couturier as a Schenn type prospect, send him back to junior let him dominate the World Jrs and see where it goes from there. He just doesnt have the weight to play in the NHL. As for Read I like this kid alot, he could be a diamond in the rough

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Haute Couturier

Couturier will make the team and will be on the third line. I think he can already be used in a defensive/penalty killing role.

Couturier's coaches in Drummondville have said he is ready and expect him to make the Flyers. I don't know why so many fans feel he isn't ready.

Couts shouldn't be compared to Giroux because G was coming off his rookie season when we drafted him. Giroux was also undersized. Couturier has already spent 3 years in juniors and is physically capable of competing against men. He's still growing into his frame, but 6'4", 200 lbs kid can hold his own in this league.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:38 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Couturier will make the team and will be on the third line. I think he can already be used in a defensive/penalty killing role.

Couturier's coaches in Drummondville have said he is ready and expect him to make the Flyers. I don't know why so many fans feel he isn't ready.
Couts shouldn't be compared to Giroux because G was coming off his rookie season when we drafted him. Giroux was also undersized. Couturier has already spent 3 years in juniors and is physically capable of competing against men. He's still growing into his frame, but 6'4", 200 lbs kid can hold his own in this league.
Have you watched him?

I think I'm in the minority but I saw him in person twice so far this pre-season and I thought he looked really unimpressive. He is quite slow and very weak, and just doesn't look like he's ready to hang at the NHL level at all to me right now.

To me, he looks like JVR used to except that JVR at least had wheels. JVR has since bulked up and learned to use his body a bit, and is now very effective.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Have you watched him?

I think I'm in the minority but I saw him in person twice so far this pre-season and I thought he looked really unimpressive. He is quite slow and very weak, and just doesn't look like he's ready to hang at the NHL level at all to me right now.

To me, he looks like JVR used to except that JVR at least had wheels. JVR has since bulked up and learned to use his body a bit, and is now very effective.
I saw him in Canada's red-white game last month, the rookie game, the pre-season game vs the Leafs, and what I could see of last night's horrible stream.

I heard some say he wasn't impressive in camp which I didn't see, but I've liked what I seen from him except the rookie game where he didn't stand out much. I thought he looked better and better as the game went along vs the Leafs. He is skinny like JVR and Carter during their rookie seasons, but I think he wouldn't be out of place in the league like they weren't.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote