HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn powerplay point man?

Old
09-23-2011, 01:22 PM
shamrun

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post

If anyone I like moen in front of the net. That way AK can work his potential magic
darche is a better fit in my opinion. its a good thing we are having this debate. It shows that the habs have some depth.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Gainey#1*

Great move by JM.

What do you think the chances are of AK remaining in MTL after this season?

We don't have anyone currently in our system to replace his size, shot and scoring ability.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:29 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

AK has a very hard shot and it would be good for the 2nd unit. I'm not sure AK plans on using it much, but last year we had Pleck at the point on 4-3 and 5-3, while Pleck is a good passer, the shooting threat of AK on the point opens more even more room for guys down below.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
How about using big Hal "sasquatch" Gill?
Too confusing. Next thing you know, he's going to start blocking Carey's view during the PKs too...

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Bullsmith

Interesting, but with Markov and Subban, it's pretty clear who the PP QBs are going to be. Wonder what AK's one timer from the point looks like. Hopefully we'll get to see.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Interesting, but with Markov and Subban, it's pretty clear who the PP QBs are going to be. Wonder what AK's one timer from the point looks like. Hopefully we'll get to see.
Marky Weber and Subban are for sure going to be on the point(if weber makes the team). But who after that? Spacek?. If Yemelin makes the team then he should be on the point he has a bomb.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:37 PM
neofury*

If it gets AK PP time then this is win/win imo. AK can play on the 3rd line and that 3rd line being competent will likely get more minutes than a usual 3rd line would. Then give him that PP opportunity, should make AK happy cause I know he wanted more PP time last season. This could be beneficial to him.

Also does anyone get the feeling that AK potentially did sit down with JM and discuss his issues?

Seems like exactly the kind of thing that could not only help the team but make JM and AK both happy.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Marky Weber and Subban are for sure going to be on the point(if weber makes the team). But who after that? Spacek?. If Yemelin makes the team then he should be on the point he has a bomb.
I think the 2nd PP will be Yemelin and Weber. They didn't bring Yemelin to NA for him "not to make the team". Even if you have to bring him along slowly(#5-6 instead of top 4) he's a no brainer to be on the roster.

Quote:
Weber is also a lock to make the team. They can't send him down without waivers, I'm sure he'd get claimed, nad it would be crazy to trade him with Markov on the team. Weber is a good insurance policy, especially on the PP and 4 on 4 situations.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
If it gets AK PP time then this is win/win imo. AK can play on the 3rd line and that 3rd line being competent will likely get more minutes than a usual 3rd line would. Then give him that PP opportunity, should make AK happy cause I know he wanted more PP time last season. This could be beneficial to him.

Also does anyone get the feeling that AK potentially did sit down with JM and discuss his issues?

Seems like exactly the kind of thing that could not only help the team but make JM and AK both happy.
I totally think that's happened. It seems like they both put their issues on the table and made some sort of compromise and worked things out. If this is the case then bravo to both of them

But who knows I am not going to jump to any conclusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Weber is also a lock to make the team. They can't send him down without waivers, I'm sure he'd get claimed, nad it would be crazy to trade him with Markov on the team. Weber is a good insurance policy, especially on the PP and 4 on 4 situations.
Sorry I meant to say if Weber was the 7th dman on the team. Its either him or Spacek, but judging from Spacek's performance the other night there could be quite the battle for the 6th spot. Personally I like Weber more.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
I totally think that's happened. It seems like they both put their issues on the table and made some sort of compromise and worked things out. If this is the case then bravo to both of them

I can't predict how Kostitsyn will perform on the PP point but I would be very much relieved if he came to an understanding with JM. He's a very talented player.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:56 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
He tends to fan on shots, which worries me back there as 1 of 2 players back. Plus one timers aren't his bread and butter.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:57 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I can't predict how Kostitsyn will perform on the PP point but I would be very much relieved if he came to an understanding with JM. He's a very talented player.
JM always sounded to me like a guy who would say : "prove me you can make it work, and I'll use it. But don't start doing it when it ain't the time"

I think it's also why Subban was so active with the puck on Wednesday. JM told him that if he proves he can spearhead the offense, he'll be allowed more liberty about it

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing Martin talk about that during the golf tournament. He said he didn't pay too much attention to what the Russian reporters said and that they were going to have a sit-down that week to talk it over.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure coaches and players have at least a sit-down every other week. There's too much time and money invested in NHL players to just let things happen as they happen. Coaches and GM's need to cover their ***** by protecting the owners' investment, which is done by making sure the team is happy and functional.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:31 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
He does have a bomb of a shot, we tried this before with Carbo but Andrei wasn't accurate enough. We'll see if his accuracy his improved.

You want Kostitsyn out there on the PP, but Cole, Patches and Gionta have the net presence job.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:33 PM
zzoo

Suddenly, I'm thinking .....how many goals Ovechkin or Stamkos score on PP when playing at blue line.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Suddenly, I'm thinking .....how many goals Ovechkin or Stamkos score on PP when playing at blue line.
plenty, but don't put Kostitsyn in the category of those 2

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Stamkos never plays the point, he plays off wing on the half boards much like Cammy does and Kovalev used to do. Ovechkin plays the point but he scores by jumping into the play, not necessarily point shots.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
plenty, but don't put Kostitsyn in the category of those 2
I agree but he has a similar shot, just needs to work on small things like space, fanning and one timers

Lars The GOAT Eller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:52 PM
habsjunkie2*

AK not very fast? Says who?

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard4u2win View Post
I agree but he has a similar shot, just needs to work on small things like space, fanning and one timers
He has a great shot no doubt about it but if Subban is the shooter no point in having both there. A forward like Kostitsyn playing D is very risky, it's pre season and it's time to try stuff out but I'd be very surprised to see Martin use Andrei there during the season

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Disagree. Andrei's one of the few big bodies we have to park in front of the goalie, and he usually does a pretty good job in that role.
This. That's where I usually see him parked on the PP, and that's where he should be.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:59 PM
znk

I dont think it would work well. AK is at his best in the slot picking up loose pucks, along the boards cycling the puck or when he is full stride. The way he handles the puck he needs room to backtrack. On the blue line I can definitely see his stick handling being more exposed to poke checks then a guy like Plekanec for instance.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:19 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
A forward like Kostitsyn playing D is very risky, it's pre season and it's time to try stuff out but I'd be very surprised to see Martin use Andrei there during the season
I don't think it'll work out but I fail to see how it's risky, if teams cheat tocover AK more, that is a good thing because it mans more open space for the other players.

People are acting if AK is a turn over machine,even a former goalie like me could cycle the puck from the point with a goalie stick, ok maybe not a goalie stick.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:24 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I don't think it'll work out but I fail to see how it's risky, if teams cheat tocover AK more, that is a good thing because it mans more open space for the other players.

People are acting if AK is a turn over machine,even a former goalie like me could cycle the puck from the point with a goalie stick, ok maybe not a goalie stick.
Using a forward on D is more risky because they dont have the same reflexes/experience as a D. When you have two D one will usually know when to pull back/cover for the other D and vice versa and they are better at defending 1 on 1/1 on 2 when something breaks down.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:35 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

AK can't skate backwards fast enough. Even Pleky can't do it. We don't have an Ovi who can take over the powerplay from the point.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote