HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What was/is the problem with Al MacInnis?

Old
09-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
That's a whole lot of discussion about something that I very rarely see happen on these boards. I can't say I've seen many arguments on here solely based on - which apparently is the problem here - adjusted statistics. Nearly everone uses them, some refuse to (which is entirely reasonable, one doesn't need the actual numbers to make the adjustment), but are there really any people on here who use only adjusted statistics?
You've located the strawman. It's true that you shouldn't only use adjusted stats, but if no one actually does that, or even if very few actually do that, then it's not really an issue.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 11:41 AM
ssh

Is there anyone here who doesn't use adjusted stats in any shape or form. I'd bet that everyone who look down upon anything "adjusted" do adjustments in their own head, only they do it without any kind of consistent method.

ssh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:52 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
Is there anyone here who doesn't use adjusted stats in any shape or form. I'd bet that everyone who look down upon anything "adjusted" do adjustments in their own head, only they do it without any kind of consistent method.
that is a very true and good point. i'd only add that among those posters on HOH who do employ some kind of consistent, mathematical method, there is a small minority who mistake the consistency of the math for the objective truth-value of the results.

even (or especially) scientists at the highest levels check what their data says against what their guts tell them-- and sometimes you just have to say, "wait, that can't be right" and revise the formula.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote