HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Viewing (Providers, HD, Online, Etc)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-23-2011, 02:33 PM
  #76
NYRKindms
Registered User
 
NYRKindms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I restructure Billion dollar companies for a living. Is that savy enough to respond?

Cablevision has a conflict of interest, owning local sports teams and their exclusive content. Madison Square Garden has received major tax benefits from NYC because it has a form of public use. Therefore, every service provider to NYC residents has a right to offer that content as every resident has the right to view it. By restricting the highest quality (and intentionally providing a weak SD feed) Cablevision has refused to provide an equal playing field. Someone as "business savy" as yourself should understand the difference between illegal monopolistic greed and savy business practices. There is NOTHING savy about Jim Dolan. He's just the rich spoiled son of a pretty intelligent business executive.

Trying to hold onto the past is one of the best ways to guarantee future failure. Cable companies are obsolete and if they didn't have local monopolies, they'd already be extinct.
How is a cable company with local monopolies any different from a telephone company with local monopolies ?

If Verizon didn't have a captive customer base they would also be extinct. This is true of every former bell operation.

And with your argument about "public use" how does that not apply to a company like Verizon ? They have been subsidized and had their entire network build out paid for using tax dollars. If anything the Verizon network should be completely open to everyone for fair use, but guess what, it is not. Their entire network shoudl be open to 3rd parties but it hasn't been since 2004.

Actually I would argue that Dolan is somewhat savy. He is a content creator (MSG, sports teams etc) as well as a content provider (cablevision) so he controls content and delivery in a major US market. Cablevision has also been at the forefront recently with the time shifting and streaming via their iOS app and are willing to take heat and fight for that.

Everyone of these companies suck and have their failures.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:34 PM
  #77
biggs98
Registered User
 
biggs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Strong Island
Country: United States
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I restructure Billion dollar companies for a living. Is that savy enough to respond? Do Ya???

Cablevision has a conflict of interest, owning local sports teams and their exclusive content. Madison Square Garden has received major tax benefits from NYC because it has a form of public use. Therefore, every service provider to NYC residents has a right to offer that content as every resident has the right to view it. By restricting the highest quality (and intentionally providing a weak SD feed) Cablevision has refused to provide an equal playing field. Someone as "business savy" as yourself should understand the difference between illegal monopolistic greed and savy business practices. There is NOTHING savy about Jim Dolan. He's just the rich spoiled son of a pretty intelligent business executive. There is nothing monopolistic about it.

Trying to hold onto the past is one of the best ways to guarantee future failure. Cable companies are obsolete and if they didn't have local monopolies, they'd already be extinct.
Verizon is 10x the size of "big bad monopolistic Cablevision". You people on these message boards make me laugh. Most of you are the same 400lb guys that never touched a hockey stick, that will criticize players for a mistake.

biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:42 PM
  #78
SRTtoZ
Registered User
 
SRTtoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
Verizon is 10x the size of "big bad monopolistic Cablevision". You people on these message boards make me laugh. Most of you are the same 400lb guys that never touched a hockey stick, that will criticize players for a mistake.
1) Its not about how big and bad they are...its about the service they are providing.

Fact: Verizon provides the best nationwide cellular service. I have had Nextel, AT&T, Sprint and now Verizon. I have NEVER switched away from Verizon since I picked it up about 6 years ago. They are also the most expensive of the services but I dont mind paying a premium for great service everywhere I go.

2) Fact: Fios is superior to TWC/CV in every single way. From Customer service to quality of picture, you name it.

I can care less if they are the bigger company...I dont hate Cablevision for holding back MSG HD. Its actually VERY VERY smart because they know the ONLY thing they have that tops Fios is the sports channels in HD. Thats it.

3) So you're fat? Tell us more about it.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:47 PM
  #79
biggs98
Registered User
 
biggs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Strong Island
Country: United States
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
So, how long have you worked for Cablevision? I've lived at my current house for 4 years now, and we had Cablevision for the first 3 years, and FiOS for the past year..... CV's service is clearly a grade below Verizon's and the reason they won't turn over the HD feeds of the most popular NY sports teams is because they know it's the only thing keeping many Customers with CV.... A lot of unhappy or discontent CV subscribers and many are jumping at the opportunity, as you can see in this thread, to switch to another cable provider...
I don't work for Cablevision. I do subscribe to Cablevision and couldn't be happier with the service I pay for. Verizon screws way more people than Cable does because they are 10x bigger and if they had the opportunity would be doing the same thing Cable is doing. If Verizon owned MSG and was holding it from Cable all you "message board people" would be bashing Verizon. Insert company name here and complain.

biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:57 PM
  #80
biggs98
Registered User
 
biggs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Strong Island
Country: United States
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
1) Its not about how big and bad they are...its about the service they are providing.

Fact: Verizon provides the best nationwide cellular service. I have had Nextel, AT&T, Sprint and now Verizon. I have NEVER switched away from Verizon since I picked it up about 6 years ago. They are also the most expensive of the services but I dont mind paying a premium for great service everywhere I go.I have their service for personal and sprints service for work and sprints is no different from them as far as coverage. Billing is always screwed up, taxes for who knows what and terrible coverage on the south shore. I'll be switching as soon as my contract is up.

2) Fact: Fios is superior to TWC/CV in every single way.Prove it??? From Customer service to quality of picture, you name it. Their customer service is horrible and their techs are a step above 3rd graders

I can care less if they are the bigger company...I dont hate Cablevision for holding back MSG HD. Its actually VERY VERY smart because they know the ONLY thing they have that tops Fios is the sports channels in HD. Thats it.

3) So you're fat? Tell us more about it.
Keep drinking the Verizon Kool-Aid.

biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:00 PM
  #81
SRTtoZ
Registered User
 
SRTtoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
I don't work for Cablevision. I do subscribe to Cablevision and couldn't be happier with the service I pay for. Verizon screws way more people than Cable does because they are 10x bigger and if they had the opportunity would be doing the same thing Cable is doing. If Verizon owned MSG and was holding it from Cable all you "message board people" would be bashing Verizon. Insert company name here and complain.
Please let me know how Verizon 'screws' people. Did you not feel screwed when you lost Fox last year during Giants or Yankee games?? Did you not feel screwed when you lost Yes Network for a year? Do you not feel screwed when you tune into NHL Network and see a big fat BLACK screen that says "Service Unavailable"? Or how about when CV tells you tough luck you dont need NFL network.

I was a Cablevision subscriber for 20+ years bro, I know how it feels.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:01 PM
  #82
biggs98
Registered User
 
biggs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Strong Island
Country: United States
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresch04 View Post
One of the most ignorant posts I've read on the web - and that's saying something in the "wiki" age.
The real Gresch04 would be insulted your using his name for a tag and calling people ignorant. He would probably put his cigarette out on your face and pour his drink over your head

biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:03 PM
  #83
Grumpy Humphrey
Registered User
 
Grumpy Humphrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,439
vCash: 50
The things I prefer re: Fios compared to Cablevision.

1. Arrangement of channels. With Fios, there's some sort of sense to it. You have Discovery, History, educational sort of channels in the same area, Comedy Central, MTV, other entertainment channels in the same area, movie channels, premium channels, etc. It's more convenient to know that 120-128 or so are educational, instead of the completely random placement there is with Cablevision.

2. My internet used to absolutely SUCK with Cablevision. It would lose connection constantly, the connection would be slow when it did exist, etc. Haven't had a problem with Fios at all, and it's faster.

3. If you press a button on the Cablevision remote, there's a distinct and annoying lag in the response time, to the point where you push it, think it's not responding, and then push it again, and it suddenly registers both those commands rapidly. It's especially awful if you want to scroll quickly through channels because rather than scrolling at the pace you want, it just stores how many times you pushed the button...which, if you're impatient, like me, or just think that because of the lag, it's not working, is incredibly irritating.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:07 PM
  #84
SRTtoZ
Registered User
 
SRTtoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
Keep drinking the Verizon Kool-Aid.
Oh I forgot Cablevision requires you to have a masters or PHD to apply for their tech jobs...

Get lost man, my friend was a tech for CV for a few years, you need ZERO schooling.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:08 PM
  #85
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
that lag...oh god that was awful

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:09 PM
  #86
SRTtoZ
Registered User
 
SRTtoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
The things I prefer re: Fios compared to Cablevision.

1. Arrangement of channels. With Fios, there's some sort of sense to it. You have Discovery, History, educational sort of channels in the same area, Comedy Central, MTV, other entertainment channels in the same area, movie channels, premium channels, etc. It's more convenient to know that 120-128 or so are educational, instead of the completely random placement there is with Cablevision.

2. My internet used to absolutely SUCK with Cablevision. It would lose connection constantly, the connection would be slow when it did exist, etc. Haven't had a problem with Fios at all, and it's faster.

3. If you press a button on the Cablevision remote, there's a distinct and annoying lag in the response time, to the point where you push it, think it's not responding, and then push it again, and it suddenly registers both those commands rapidly. It's especially awful if you want to scroll quickly through channels because rather than scrolling at the pace you want, it just stores how many times you pushed the button...which, if you're impatient, like me, or just think that because of the lag, it's not working, is incredibly irritating.
Lol you're right. For such a small thing when talking about Television service, the menu lag is downright awful...*press button...waits 3 seconds*. Also the CV guide is from 1989 and needs to be redone ASAP.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:11 PM
  #87
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
that lag...oh god that was awful
You mean it IS awful.

They still haven't fixed it.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:12 PM
  #88
biggs98
Registered User
 
biggs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Strong Island
Country: United States
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
Please let me know how Verizon 'screws' people. Did you not feel screwed when you lost Fox last year during Giants or Yankee games?? Did you not feel screwed when you lost Yes Network for a year? Do you not feel screwed when you tune into NHL Network and see a big fat BLACK screen that says "Service Unavailable"?

I was a Cablevision subscriber for 20+ years bro, I know how it feels.
You're going to really feel it now being a Fios subscriber!

As far as the Fox/Yes deals both companies sucked. Fox wanted unreasonable amount of money and cable wanted to negotiate while keeping the channel on air but Fox pulled it and said " Pay me X-amount of money or no channel for you" The only reason they didn't pull it from TimeWarner is because they have 18million subscribers and Cablevision has 3Million therefore making Cablevision subscribers pay for Billionaire D#$k swinging contests.

As far as The Yes network goes that was all about advertising dollars for the Yankees. Cablevision wanted to put yes on a Pay channel so the people who wanted it would pay for it. Yes did not want this because they get advertising$$ based on the number of subscribers that can access their channel. So that means yes would only get paid for say the 500,000 people subscribing with Cablevision to their channel rather than getting paid for the 3million they have.

In the end ALL Corporations STINK and screw people. There are some that screw ya more than others and depending on what ya like is how ya get screwed by good ole corprate america.

biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:14 PM
  #89
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
So when is this oficially going to be added to the channels..

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:15 PM
  #90
SRTtoZ
Registered User
 
SRTtoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
You're going to really feel it now being a Fios subscriber!

As far as the Fox/Yes deals both companies sucked. Fox wanted unreasonable amount of money and cable wanted to negotiate while keeping the channel on air but Fox pulled it and said " Pay me X-amount of money or no channel for you" The only reason they didn't pull it from TimeWarner is because they have 18million subscribers and Cablevision has 3Million therefore making Cablevision subscribers pay for Billionaire D#$k swinging contests.

As far as The Yes network goes that was all about advertising dollars for the Yankees. Cablevision wanted to put yes on a Pay channel so the people who wanted it would pay for it. Yes did not want this because they get advertising$$ based on the number of subscribers that can access their channel. So that means yes would only get paid for say the 500,000 people subscribing with Cablevision to their channel rather than getting paid for the 3million they have.

In the end ALL Corporations STINK and screw people. There are some that screw ya more than others and depending on what ya like is how ya get screwed by good ole corprate america.
Yes all corporations screw people...but if I'm going to get screwed I might as well pick the one who is giving me the best quality and service.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:15 PM
  #91
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
I don't work for Cablevision. I do subscribe to Cablevision and couldn't be happier with the service I pay for. Verizon screws way more people than Cable does because they are 10x bigger and if they had the opportunity would be doing the same thing Cable is doing. If Verizon owned MSG and was holding it from Cable all you "message board people" would be bashing Verizon. Insert company name here and complain.
The reason you couldn't be happy is because you haven't tried both services and don't know what you're missing out on with FiOS.... You're speaking from an uninformed position, whereas many of us have had both services and can speak from experience when it comes to comparing and contrasting the 2 services... Why are you so upset about people speaking negatively about CV??? Seems to have really hit a nerve with you.... If you're happy with your service, why be dismayed by others voicing their displeasure with CV and contentment with FiOS? I was a Verizon mobile customer for 6 years before I got annoyed at my pricey contracts and switched to T-Mobile.... I'm definitely not partial to Verizon as a "loyal customer" or anything like that.... But having used CV's iO Service for 3 years and then had FiOS for the past 18 months, I can honestly said, hands down, FiOS is much better and reliable. But hey, if you're happy with your loyalty to CV, by all means, keep drinking the "kool aid" and enjoy your inferior service.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:19 PM
  #92
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,564
vCash: 500
damn...cable company talk gets people a LOT more heated then i could have possibly imagined

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:19 PM
  #93
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
I don't work for Cablevision. I do subscribe to Cablevision and couldn't be happier with the service I pay for. Verizon screws way more people than Cable does because they are 10x bigger and if they had the opportunity would be doing the same thing Cable is doing. If Verizon owned MSG and was holding it from Cable all you "message board people" would be bashing Verizon. Insert company name here and complain.
A)you must be a masochist if you are satisfied with CV ..or too dumb to realise what you are missing.

B)I'll complain about whatever company is in the wrong. Listen, Verizon is a big evil company I agree with you, but in this case CV is in the wrong. If Verizon did the same thing I'd ***** about them.

C)I played hockey as a teenager and I'd wager a bet I'm in better shape than you are. Not that this has anything to do with the issue at hand(nice job with the adhominem attacks btw).

Verizon as a company may suck, but Fios as a service is amazing. You are missing out, I assure you.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:32 PM
  #94
freewheeler
Registered User
 
freewheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I restructure Billion dollar companies for a living. Is that savy enough to respond?

Cablevision has a conflict of interest, owning local sports teams and their exclusive content. Madison Square Garden has received major tax benefits from NYC because it has a form of public use. Therefore, every service provider to NYC residents has a right to offer that content as every resident has the right to view it. By restricting the highest quality (and intentionally providing a weak SD feed) Cablevision has refused to provide an equal playing field. Someone as "business savy" as yourself should understand the difference between illegal monopolistic greed and savy business practices. There is NOTHING savy about Jim Dolan. He's just the rich spoiled son of a pretty intelligent business executive.

Trying to hold onto the past is one of the best ways to guarantee future failure. Cable companies are obsolete and if they didn't have local monopolies, they'd already be extinct.
The fact that MSG receives special tax privileges, grants, etc., among other things, I think opens the door for arguments like this. But the Companies suing Cablevision receive the same privileges. In fact, nearly all, if not all, major companies receive public funds and/or preferential treatment via the tax system. I don't believe this gives every tax payer a right to the subsided product, nor competitors access to provide that product. Most times, the case for subsidizing is made from a job-creation/economic-boom perspective. Either way, 99% of the time antitrust laws are used as a weapon by competitors to take each other down, as in this case.

Illegal monopolistic greed? What about property rights? You then say cable companies are obsolete, but local monopolies allow them to hang around. I agree, but the monopolies are GRANTED to them, they are not merely the result of leveraging their property. They are two separate issues.

For what its worth, I'm a Fios subscriber, and stand to benefit substantially from this ruling, if it stands.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:38 PM
  #95
darrenturcotte#8
Registered User
 
darrenturcotte#8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,082
vCash: 500
How is a cable company with local monopolies any different from a telephone company with local monopolies ? This is true of every former bell operation.

ANSWER:

Its not which is why the baby bells were broken up. Also, the corrupt practices of cellular providers is the reason we're 5 years behind the rest of the world in Cellular... What this has to do with NYC residents getting to watch local sports teams in HD I have no idea. But I agree that Verizon as a whole is an excessively large company that takes advantage every chance it gets...

And with your argument about "public use" how does that not apply to a company like Verizon ?

ANSWER:
Government subsides are not the same as property taxes. Any buildings Verizon owns and does business from are taxed (I hope). Again, pointing to bad behavior to justify other bad behavior is faulty logic. The answer is the Government sucks and so do both Verizon AND Cablevision

Actually I would argue that Dolan is somewhat savy.

ANSWER:
Umm... NO, HE'S NOT. He's a complete piece of garbage and a narcissistic pig.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:43 PM
  #96
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,295
vCash: 500
Um, is this not a message board for Rangers fans? Should we not applaud every decision that makes the enjoyment of Rangers games better for any segment of our user base?

Throw ON TOP of that the fact that ANYONE who has had both services will tell you unequivocally that FiOS is better (just look at this thread for examples)... and I honestly don't understand biggs98's complaints.

Seriously, dude, I call ********. You have some sort of material connection to CV that you're not disclosing - you're an employee, a shareholder... something.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:57 PM
  #97
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Oh can I add another complaint? What's up with the stupid pandering ghetto spanish rap commercials CV rolls out every few weeks? Really really racist imo.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:11 PM
  #98
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Oh can I add another complaint? What's up with the stupid pandering ghetto spanish rap commercials CV rolls out every few weeks? Really really racist imo.
887-393-4448 lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:14 PM
  #99
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
887-393-4448 lol
oh god lol it makes me cringe!

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 05:02 PM
  #100
gluvhand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rockland County
Country: Greece
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I haven't checked my guide, is that channel slot currently available or occupied?
It's available.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.