HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Camp Notes and Pictures Thread

Old
09-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Fishhead

vCash: 500
Camp Notes and Pictures Thread

I went to camp today and saw quite a few people with cameras. Might as well have a thread to share them!

Also, this might be a good place to post any notes and observations on camp for those not fortunate enough to be able to attend.

I'll start

Pictures from Training Camp, 9/19/2011

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjwhwAuQ

No complaining about quality, it's pretty dark in there and the glass is a nightmare

Also, please comment if I got any names wrong.

Observations:

Dwight King - has a good set of hands for a fellow with his size. He was pretty good around the net during drills. The experiment failed last year but he's definitely going to push for a spot on the 4th.

Justin Johnson - One big dude, but not necessarily tall. Doesn't have the traditional hockey player build, lets just leave it at that He's not much in open ice, but he was nails in the corners and cycle today and money around the net. Uses his size well. Surprised he only put up 8 points for the Monarchs because he was one of the only ones beating Bernier with regularity today.

Teigan Zahn - Never heard of this kid, but he looked really solid today. Not out of place at all, very sound positionally. He was hard to beat 1 on 1.

Gagne - Better at D than I thought, he was great at getting pucks from people. In fact, that entire line of Brown, Richards, and Gagne were picking pockets left and right.

Lewis/Richardson - These guys have chemistry together, great speed and they really mesh well. They were flying down the ice.

Westgarth - Couldn't quite keep up with Lewis/Richie, but does anyone know if he worked on his skating over the summer? He was much faster than I remember at last year's camp and during the season.

Thomas Hickey - Has really filled out, was also excellent in the corners. Not big, but he always seemed to be in the right spot.

Michael Morrison (goalie) - He was opposite Bernier in session 2 and I have to say, he made some great saves. He was harder to beat than Bernier a lot of the time. Another guy I'd never heard of.

Penner - He really looks good physically. His strength is amazing, and his shot was a laser today. He's way faster than last season, and looks very imposing. The time he put in was obvious.

The top line - Gibson got most of the shots from that line and it wasn't pretty. They kept tapping him on the pads and smiling but it really was unfair Penner hit the crossbar a couple times before he could even move. That line was easily the best line today, from speed and skill to chemistry. They were moving the puck so quickly on drills it was silly. If that line stays together and healthy, 30+ goals from each of them wouldn't surprise me at all. I can't recall a line looking that good this early in camp in recent memory.

The second line - Looked pretty good out there, but it was obvious they didn't have a feel for where each other were all the time. They all complement each other nicely, however, and they should be effective once they get to know each other. Gagne and Richards both sure love to go to the high slot.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Thanks for the pics and input. I've been really looking forward to this day to watch Hickey and Voynov more than anyone else. Very excited to see what happens between them. They seem ready, and both have the skillsets to excel. Going to be an exciting camp at least.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:00 PM
ru4reals

Aint gonna lie seeing Richards and Gagne wearing the Kings jersey made me get chills. In a good way. Cannot wait for the season to open. Thanks for the pix. Now will you just freakin sign Doughty!

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ith-transition

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Kings man 4 life

How was Richards looking? Did he look like he was meshing with the team? The pictures don't make him look happy in anyway.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
How was Richards looking? Did he look like he was meshing with the team? The pictures don't make him look happy in anyway.
How about these?

Thanks to mmmcammy from LGK... and Rinkrat(aka Michael Zampelli)

edit:Had trouble with other pics.

Last edited by Cook24: 09-20-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
He was joking around with Brown and Gagne a lot, and he was laughing and smiling as much as anyone was. He was fitting right in.

The vets were having a really good time, you could tell they were glad to be back on the ice. The rookies weren't as loose for sure, and a lot of it had to do with how taxing some of the drills are. You could see how much easier it was for the guys who have been around. They not only skate less because of their hockey sense, but they are in much better shape than the rookies.

Johnson is definitely a gym rat. He never looked winded and was going full speed.

Old
09-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Chazz Reinhold

The first day of camp in the first session, Richards was yelling and banging his stick on the boards whenever someone scored a nice goal, even if it was someone like Justin Johnson. He seemed plenty happy to me.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:03 AM
bobafettish*

sucks to see all those guys together, and then see that video of DD skating by himself.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:07 AM
KingLB

Frolov smiles to much, Richards not enough.....

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:07 AM
triplcrown

Great Pics and info.

Thanks, Fishhead!

You rock

!!!!

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:58 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:14 AM
eleventy

yea seriously. richards in a kings uni is still unreal. i'm so excited for this season.

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:37 AM
redcard

When did we re-sign Randy Jones?

He's trying to play defense against Gagne here.

Last edited by redcard: 09-20-2011 at 01:44 AM.
redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:07 AM
Cook24

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
When did we re-sign Randy Jones?

He's trying to play defense against Gagne here.
Nah thats not Jones....Cones is way better defensively than Jones will ever be.

Old
09-20-2011, 02:24 AM
Cook24

And to get you guys even more pumped for this season...check out Richards slapper(Cammalleri-esque) in this video at :08 seconds...

Old
09-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Have you watched the Daryl interviews? Richards is always smiling when seen in the background.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:12 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
And to get you guys even more pumped for this season...check out Richards slapper(Cammalleri-esque) in this video at :08 seconds...

WHAT A SHOT!

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Muzzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme1995 View Post
WHAT A SHOT!
Wow. What a rip. Gonna score some cross ice goals on the PP this season.

Muzzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

if you watch the flyers pp from past seasons, Richards liked to hang out around there a lot of the time and scored quite a few goals 1 timer-ing cross ice passes from the likes of Giroux. The only problem for us is that Kopi currently plays there. Hopefully Richards takes his spot and Kopi plays somewhere else on the pp since Richards is better than Kopi there

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Fishhead

Some shots from Friday:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjw8W762

The A group worked on the PP/PK most of the period. It appears they are trying to work the puck more in the center rather than just rely on shots from the point. We'll see how it develops and if it gets any better.

Penner was centering Williams and Gagne on one of the units, I thought that was interesting. Kopitar, Brown, and Richards were on the other top unit.

I find it amusing that most the players are hunched over during conditioning trying to recover, except for Mitchell, who is skating around with a smile on his face cracking jokes. Dude never gets tired, and is such a terrific skater.