HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs 2011-2012 Best Since 1993

Old
09-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu_habs#1 View Post
And Bretrand Raymond will be the first to criticise this team after two losses!
Two?! I see he has lowered his expectations a tad. Normally the world is over whenever we don't got 82-0.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:33 AM
fufonzo

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
It seems people need a lesson in reading comprehension.

If he says, 'best team since 1993' it means that from 1994 until last year, we haven't had as good a team.

That statement in no way shape or form even compares the 1993 team to today's team.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpty Dumpty View Post
... After one pre season game.
... That we lost

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Apart from that flukey year where I felt we played way over our heads I don't think we've had much in the way of very good teams since 1993 so I don't think it means much. But for what it's worth I think that this squad is one of the best we've had since our last cup win.

For the first time since then we have a couple of guys who could actually be superstars and I think if they achieve what they're capable of we just might be able to build some great teams around them. A great forward (which we've been missing forever) would make a huge, huge difference.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:53 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Apart from that flukey year where I felt we played way over our heads I don't think we've had much in the way of very good teams since 1993 so I don't think it means much. But for what it's worth I think that this squad is one of the best we've had since our last cup win.

For the first time since then we have a couple of guys who could actually be superstars and I think if they achieve what they're capable of we just might be able to build some great teams around them. A great forward (which we've been missing forever) would make a huge, huge difference.
MaxPac and Cole are both the type of forwards this team has lacked for a long time.

This is bar far the best team we've had since 94. And FOR SURE the best team since 97.

Just take a look at the rosters from 97 to 08....

I think a lot of you guys are being overly conservative in your evaluation. And this is because of some past disappointments. This year's edition is faster, tougher and more experienced.

They are FAR less weak links than there were say, when Sheldon Souray and Kovalev were both on this team.

Ultimately though, all I care about is making the playoffs. I enjoy the regular season like everyone else, but the playoffs is where you truly get to see how good your team is.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:55 PM
DumFries

Every year, the Habs are best since '93!!!

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:10 PM
PunkinDrublic*

I agree with J Demers, on paper this team healthy. Is the best since 1993.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Padrino86

meh I think there is a lot of depth but we're severely lacking in scoring talent to come close to 93.

No, Gomez won't score 20, Gionta won't score 30, Cammalleri won't score 40 and Pacioretty isn't gonna have a 70 points season either. Kostitsyn will again float for half the year.

And I'd be surprised if Cole hit 30.

Padrino86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
What does this have to do with this year's team being better than the 93 team?
What does this years team , being better than the 93 team, have to do with 24 teams being a factor... is that the real question here?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:33 PM
habsrule22

The health of the team will determine how far it goes. Also Gauthier with 4 m in cap money left will be able to add to this team at some point this season

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
MaxPac and Cole are both the type of forwards this team has lacked for a long time.
It's way too early to know how good MaxPac will be. We've seen guys like Brian Savage come and go. I remember when Marcel Hossa started with us he looked amazing too. MaxPac is not a blue chip guy the way Price is and is still unproven. I like his potential but we don't know how good he's going to be.

As for Cole, he's an older player who's best years are behind him. He was never a star to begin with. Yes, Cole and Max provide a dimension that we've been lacking but neither is the elite big forward that we really need. I hope MaxPac turns into something good but I don't expect him to turn into the star that we really need up front. A star forward would make a huge, huge difference for us and we've been missing this forever.
Quote:
This is bar far the best team we've had since 94. And FOR SURE the best team since 97.

Just take a look at the rosters from 97 to 08....
Exactly... not much to compete against is there? So it's not really a huge accomplishment. The only club that would rival it would be the ones that had Kovalev and Koivu. And despite that one great finish, those weren't great teams either.
Quote:
I think a lot of you guys are being overly conservative in your evaluation. And this is because of some past disappointments. This year's edition is faster, tougher and more experienced.

They are FAR less weak links than there were say, when Sheldon Souray and Kovalev were both on this team.
Like I said, I think this probably is the best team we've had since '93. Unfortunately though, I think the '93 team would crush our current club. Ditto with pretty much every team we'd assembled before that.
Quote:
Ultimately though, all I care about is making the playoffs. I enjoy the regular season like everyone else, but the playoffs is where you truly get to see how good your team is.
I care more about winning a cup someday than this year's playoffs. We're better than we were in the past? That's not really saying much. You add a great forward to our club though and we become a much better team.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Darch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
When they'll win a cup, they'll be the best team since 1993.
Didn't '93 prove that you don't have to have the best team to win the cup?

Darch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:29 PM
akratique

I sometimes look at that 2000-01 lineup and I can't believe I willfully watched these guys play. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000452001.html

Oh, Johan Witehall, where are you now?

akratique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

If only we had kept Bergeron instead of signing the Wiz, we would have won it last year TOO!

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by akratique View Post
I sometimes look at that 2000-01 lineup and I can't believe I willfully watched these guys play. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000452001.html

Oh, Johan Witehall, where are you now?
It makes me mad just thinking about it again. The old board had a lot of people still praising every move the team made, even though that team was littered with garbage.
The Canadiens board was quite the scene on HF back in the day.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

In 1994 the Habs had a top 10 offense and Patrick Roy. Two things they don't have today.

The comparisons begin to get fair a year or so after the Serge Savard era, I think most teams prior to that could handle this team.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino86 View Post
meh I think there is a lot of depth but we're severely lacking in scoring talent to come close to 93.

No, Gomez won't score 20, Gionta won't score 30, Cammalleri won't score 40 and Pacioretty isn't gonna have a 70 points season either. Kostitsyn will again float for half the year.

And I'd be surprised if Cole hit 30.
Everything is relative. The OP said since '93, not equal to it. If Gomez doubles his output from 8 to 16 goals, that would help. Gionta scored close to 30 goals last season. Pacioretty probably won't reach 70 points but he'll do a lot better than he did in his injury-shortened season. Cole will probably score at least as many goals as Pouliot did. You don't know how Kostitsyn will perform. The addition of Markove and Yemelin could help the forwards score more goals. Then we might get improved outputs from Eller and Desharnais as well.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote