HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Injury Thread - Mason Raymond's Career in Jeopardy?

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2011, 08:02 PM
NuxFan09

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Just more Bruin hypocrisy, nothing new here. Not one Bruin fan will have an issue with the text message apology, nor will the organization and no one will call them on it either.

The double standard that encompasses that franchise has been shocking. They've nearly killed to players in Pacioretty and Raymond with little or no remorse but at the same time, they have an unbelievable sense of indignation and self righteousness when they feel they've been wronged.

I hope and am pretty confident Raymond makes a full recovery, feel very bad for the kid but as he said, he's lucky to be walking and that's more important than a hockey career.
Great post. Agreed totally. That whole organization (and their fans) makes me want to puke.

Old
09-23-2011, 02:00 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Man, I don't need to see this crap (referring to the little piece on TSN before the game).
I'm glad I didn't have anything in my hand. It's like they wanted to rub it in that the Canucks didn't win.

Old
09-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Reign Nateo

Still don't like that play on Raymond. He was vulnerable and ridden into the boards. Obviously Boychuk didn't want this to happen, but he still took advantage of a player in a vulnerable position.

Bruins organization has begun to disgust me though. Indignant to no end when something happens to them, but when the shoe is on the other foot, it's a travesty. Chara should have gotten a long suspension, hopefully Campbell being out of there will level the playing field. I have faith in Shanny.

Old
09-23-2011, 02:31 PM
The Vengabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Still don't like that play on Raymond. He was vulnerable and ridden into the boards. Obviously Boychuk didn't want this to happen, but he still took advantage of a player in a vulnerable position.

Bruins organization has begun to disgust me though. Indignant to no end when something happens to them, but when the shoe is on the other foot, it's a travesty. Chara should have gotten a long suspension, hopefully Campbell being out of there will level the playing field. I have faith in Shanny.
Off to a phenomenal start with that ludicrous Rome suspension.

Nothing will change; you will continue to see discipline determined by the way the sports media spins stories, and the way the moronic fans of this sport lap everything up without any common-sense, question, or judgement.

Old
09-23-2011, 02:37 PM
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vengabus View Post
Off to a phenomenal start with that ludicrous Rome suspension.

Nothing will change; you will continue to see discipline determined by the way the sports media spins stories, and the way the moronic fans of this sport lap everything up without any common-sense, question, or judgement.
The decision for Rome's suspension was determined by Mike Murphy, not Brendan Shanahan

Old
09-23-2011, 02:42 PM
The Vengabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
The decision for Rome's suspension was determined by Mike Murphy, not Brendan Shanahan
Conceded. But the crux of the argument is that it was yet another suspension determined by the howling of the media, instead of intent, injury, or precedent.

Old
09-23-2011, 02:56 PM
The Jester

Quote:
Conceded. But the crux of the argument is that it was yet another suspension determined by the howling of the media, instead of intent, injury, or precedent.
Fair enough. You may end up being correct about nothing changing, however I think Shanahan deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point. He has started well IMO.

Old
09-23-2011, 03:30 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Murphy/Campbell: "We sent teams a DVD".

Shanahan: "X broke rule Y, which states Z. He could have done this or that instead. Also took into consideration past suspensions."

Not comparable at all, IMO. Shanahan is the new regime and it's about time; the league was losing a lot of credibility and Shanny is doing a great job of restoring the fans' faith.

Old
09-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Gee, I wonder what Bruin fans will have to say about Boychuk's text message reply.

Old
09-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
ChairmanMaouth
@
@imacVanSun Do you have a quote from MR where he said he may not play again? I see nothing in the body that proves the headline. Thx
19 minutes ago
From the same interview content with Raymond, a much different headline at the Vancouver Province which seems to be more in accord with what Raymond has said.
Canucks' Mason Raymond hopeful of return
Moving forward through the many 'stages' on his road to recovery

By Jason Botchford, The Province
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...#ixzz1Yp8OVOBn

Old
09-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
Gee, I wonder what Bruin fans will have to say about Boychuk's text message reply.
Jason Btchford made note of this in his recent article on Mason Raymond:
In late July, Raymond did receive a text message from Boychuk.

"He said he didn't mean to," Raymond said. "Incidents happen. Obviously I'm frustrated not to finish the game or the season, nor am I starting the season here. I'll move on and get stronger for it."

Coincidentally, Nathan Horton said he felt disrespected this summer after Aaron Rome sent him a text to apologize for the late hit which concussed the Bruins forward. Horton said he wanted at least a phone call from Rome.

Horton's comments initiated a debate in Boston about whether Rome owed him more than a text message. So, now, maybe people in Vancouver will do the same regarding Boychuk. On the play, Boychuk continued contact with Raymond as the pair went into the boards long after Ryan Kesler had picked up the puck and made a play with it.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...#ixzz1Yp9Epli6

Old
09-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
From the same interview content with Raymond, a much different headline at the Vancouver Province which seems to be more in accord with what Raymond has said.
Canucks' Mason Raymond hopeful of return
Moving forward through the many 'stages' on his road to recovery

By Jason Botchford, The Province
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...#ixzz1Yp8OVOBn
Posted the follow-up on the previous page.

ChairmanMaouth Gary H
@imacVanSun Do you have a quote from MR where he said he may not play again? I see nothing in the body that proves the headline. Thx

imacVanSun Iain MacIntyre
@ChairmanMaouth Yes, Raymond said at 1 pt there's no gurantee he'll get back, but he is hopeful and believes he's on track.

But the contrasting headlines are quite humourous.

09-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Hey, don't forget to give Burke credit for his consulting services.

Old
09-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Hey, don't forget to give Burke credit for his consulting services.
That was absolutely shameful -- and most likely unprecedented. An NHL disciplinarian goes to an active GM who was let go by the Canucks for advice on a suspension to a Canuck. I damn-near quit hockey right then and there.

Old
09-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

ChairmanMaouth Gary H

@ChairmanMaouth Yes, Raymond said at 1 pt there's no gurantee he'll get back, but he is hopeful and believes he's on track.

Yes, I did note his answer and that was one of the reasons that I thought you would find the warring headlines of interest.

BTW I am waiting for MacIntyre's next story on the salary cap and LTIR in which he again claims that a player being injured saves the team money.

Old
09-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
That was absolutely shameful -- and most likely unprecedented. An NHL disciplinarian goes to an active GM who was let go by the Canucks for advice on a suspension to a Canuck. I damn-near quit hockey right then and there.
No kidding. I started to get more and more pissed off as I was typing that and almost went off on a rant.

I don't know what is more ludicrous; the fact that Murphy would do that or the fact that nothing was really done about him admitting to doing that.

I personally know a few people that as much as they love hockey, between that incident, the Rome suspension and the Marchand non-suspension (the Raymond incident) are having a really hard time looking forward to this season and the NHL in general.

Old
09-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
No kidding. I started to get more and more pissed off as I was typing that and almost went off on a rant.

I don't know what is more ludicrous; the fact that Murphy would do that or the fact that nothing was really done about him admitting to doing that.

I personally know a few people that as much as they love hockey, between that incident, the Rome suspension and the Marchand non-suspension (the Raymond incident) are having a really hard time looking forward to this season and the NHL in general.
I'm still here and still cheering on the Canucks, but things like that definitely make me more cynical.

Old
09-23-2011, 10:54 PM
MS

Quote:

My interest/enjoyment are definitely down. It's not fun following the sport when players on your team are regularly hurt by cheapshots with no suspensions and no reaction from the media, while at the same time your players are suspended for clean/legal plays and turned into villians by everyone associated with the game. The whole back half of last season was a witchhunt of a #1 team that the Toronto media and US media wanted to see fail, which the idiots at the NHL went along with.

Aaron Rome was concussed on a blatant hit from behind in the SJ series with no suspension, then gets kicked out of the playoffs for mis-timing a hit by 0.2 seconds.

And yeah, the 'consulting Burke' thing is still utterly astonishing and makes my blood boil.

Old
09-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Free Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
The whole back half of last season was a witchhunt of a #1 team that the Toronto media and US media wanted to see fail, which the idiots at the NHL went along with.
This site has become a complete and total wasteland since the playoffs.

Old
09-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Canucker

Quote:

ChairmanMaouth Gary H

They said the same thing about Sami Salo last year..."he may never play again". Perhaps more cap circumventing here?

Old
09-23-2011, 11:25 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
This site has become a complete and total wasteland since the playoffs.
Oh, absolutely - I don't even bother reading anything other than this board and the History of Hockey board. But it's just a reflection of the sentiment in a broader sense that comes down from the media as a whole.

There were large sections of the media that had a grudge against the city/team to begin with (Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Chicago) and they basically wrote the movie of last spring casting the Canucks as the villians. And previously neutral outlets then started going with it as well. By the end of the playoffs, every hit was dirty, every player to lose his balance was a dive, every interview was taken out of context ... have never seen anything like it.

Looking back at the circus around the Torres and Rome hits and Burrows bite, and comparing it to cheapshots against Sedin and Rome, and the horde of other borderline plays and cheapshots around the league in the playoffs, it's still difficult to comprehend.

Old
09-23-2011, 11:27 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:

Quote:
I'm still here and still cheering on the Canucks, but things like that definitely make me more cynical.
The Auger and Ron MacLean crap really soured me as well.

Old
09-24-2011, 01:37 AM
Free Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
There were large sections of the media that had a grudge against the city/team to begin with (Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Chicago) and they basically wrote the movie of last spring casting the Canucks as the villians.
Pretty much, though I find the Oiler fans are still leading that charge, which is funny considering most of their fans on this site weren't even on this planet when their crappy little town was relevant in pro hockey circles.

Old
09-24-2011, 02:44 AM
NuxFan09

@MS: Good couple posts, and I agree with you 100%. They say that it's just a hockey team, it's just sports, so no need to take it seriously. However, it actually is getting difficult to deal with all the ridicule from the media AND other fans.

I want so badly to have intelligent conversations on the main boards but it's borderline impossible. I may not exactly be a model poster but I try to be civil with other teams' fans. I try not to "hate on" other teams just for the hell of it. The same cannot be said for all the other fans on here that hate the Canucks just for the hell of it.

Old
09-24-2011, 10:21 AM
ddawg1950

Better toughen up the skin guys, cause I think we are in for a lot more of it this year. And the main reason is simple: We have become the only elite hockey team in Canada and that is going to produce a lot of jealousy. Add in the geographical envy from prairie wastelands and eastern teams that haven't made the playoffs since Jesus was a teenager and you are going to have a lot of fans taking cheap shots.

I don't embrace the hate, I mostly ignore it.

Closed Thread