Official Sports Radio Thread Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2011, 08:53 PM
sarge88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
Is it surprising though on a Bruins forum? After years of belittling? Even after vastly improving the product in the last 4 years?

I get that part of it. I guess if I only cared about the B's, it would be different for me but I'm equally a fan of the B's, Sox and Pats with the Celts a distant 4th.

I just like what EEI has to offer and I dare anyone to find a better show than the Sunday Football show with Dale, Troy Brown and Fauria. That show is absolutely top notch.

Old
09-23-2011, 08:56 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by beantown bullies View Post
Sarge I'm not going to come at you for your choice in radio. It's opinion on which is better or not. The ratings show that The Sports Hub is, however EEI still has listeners and people do still enjoy the show.

The only time I will listen to EEI is during the Jimmy Fund Radio Telethon. My personal dislike for EEI stems from the one time I called that station and that one time caused me to never call back again. I called in before the start of the BOS-MTL playoff series back in 08; after waiting on hold for close to an hour, Ordway told me, "call back in a half hour for hockey talk" and hung up the phone. Why put me through on the call screen and have wait close to an hour to just dump you in 30 seconds?

I don't blame you at all, I'd probably feel the same way. I am never going to say they are perfect by any means and that was wrong and bad business to be honest.

But when you provide local programming for about 120 hours a week for over 20 years or so, you're going to make mistakes and tick some people off. It's the nature of the beast.

Old
09-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Sarge I'm not going to come at you for your choice in radio. It's opinion on which is better or not. The ratings show that The Sports Hub is, however EEI still has listeners and people do still enjoy the show.

The only time I will listen to EEI is during the Jimmy Fund Radio Telethon. My personal dislike for EEI stems from the one time I called that station and that one time caused me to never call back again. I called in before the start of the BOS-MTL playoff series back in 08; after waiting on hold for close to an hour, Ordway told me, "call back in a half hour for hockey talk" and hung up the phone. Why put me through on the call screen and have wait close to an hour to just dump you in 30 seconds?
He wanted you to call back during his mocking "hockey talk" segment, when he'd allow you 20 seconds, then make some sarcastic, belittling comment about the Bruins/hockey/hockey fans, hang up and laugh.

Old
09-23-2011, 08:57 PM
lostinthebronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
I'm sorry, but it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Or a more deserving radio outlet.

Bye bye fat boy,

Since I have no doubt that the ratings will continue to plummet it will be fun watching the brain trust over at EEI desperately trying to come up with the magic bullet to cure their ills.

Old
09-23-2011, 08:59 PM
beantown bullies
LOOOOOOCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
He wanted you to call back during his mocking "hockey talk" segment, when he'd allow you 20 seconds, then make some sarcastic, belittling comment about the Bruins/hockey/hockey fans, hang up and laugh.
Oh I get that. I just thought that hmm I don't know, before the start of a playoff series against Montreal that it might have worked. Stupid me

Old
09-23-2011, 09:00 PM
sarge88

Quote:

And at different times over the past 10-12 years, some of that was absolutely hilarious and deserved, considering the product the B's were putting on the ice at the time.

I remember one particular segment where people, including myself used it to call in and complain about nobody doing anything to Adam Mair when he cheap shotted Krejci, knocking him out.

But, I'm sure nobody here complained about that incident or criticized the B's players for not taking action, right?

Oh wait, now I remember, there was probably a 15 page thread about it, none very positive about our beloved Bruins.

Old
09-23-2011, 09:04 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthebronx View Post
Since I have no doubt that the ratings will continue to plummet it will be fun watching the brain trust over at EEI desperately trying to come up with the magic bullet to cure their ills.
And then 98.5 will get lazy and arrogant due to lack of competition and then everyone will start complaining about them being lazy and arrogant and start hoping that another station comes along to take them down.

Old
09-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Oh I get that. I just thought that hmm I don't know, before the start of a playoff series against Montreal that it might have worked. Stupid me
Well, you know better now, right?

It was funny to see EEI scrambling like mad to make up for their lack of attention to the Bruins and hockey in general. They're paying the price now, for certain. What goes around, comes around.

Old
09-23-2011, 09:07 PM
beantown bullies
LOOOOOOCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
I don't blame you at all, I'd probably feel the same way. I am never going to say they are perfect by any means and that was wrong and bad business to be honest.

But when you provide local programming for about 120 hours a week for over 20 years or so, you're going to make mistakes and tick some people off. It's the nature of the beast.
I honestly think that their past success has something to do with it as well. Providing the local sports programming for over 20 years might have led to their downfall a bit, too. The fact that you get so used to the way one thing is run, when something new comes along people may wanted to have just checked on the Sports Hub and liked over there. On a pure sports broadcasting, 985 is home of Bruins hockey and Patriots football. Naturally, most Bruins and Pats fans are going to switch over to the home station of those teams. As for getting flamed on this board, like a previous poster said, it's the Bruins board. When we (fans) have been getting s--t on over there for numerous years and are welcome on The Sports Hub, people are going to like that. Like I said, I will not flame at you for listening to EEI, it is your choice and you have every right to listen to EEI.

Old
09-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Open Ice

I'm in western Mass and only listen to radio in the car. Therefore all I have access to is EEI. I would KILL for some alternatives. What's it going to take to get 98.5 out past Worcester?

The big day time changes on WEEI haven't really produced all that much in the way of "better" programming. Mut and Lou are bland. Mut is seriously a young Dale Arnold in training. And I'm not really that impressed with the Ordway/Holley team. I swear sometimes I can hear the desperation in Ordway's voice. It's like he's working so hard to stir controversy where there isn't any. Like if he yells, more people will listen. D&C offer nothing in the way of substantial content. The station offers an incredible lack of creativity/inventiveness.

I mean, does 98.5 really talk hockey when it's not hockey season in the city where the hockey team just won the championship? If so, it's no frickin wonder Sports Hub is number 1.

Old
09-23-2011, 09:19 PM
lostinthebronx

Quote:
Well, you know better now, right?

It was funny to see EEI scrambling like mad to make up for their lack of attention to the Bruins and hockey in general. They're paying the price now, for certain. What goes around, comes around.
It was both funny and embarrassing - I briefly tuned in a couple of times just for a good laugh and I wasn't the least bit disappointed by their half-a** attempts at feigning interest in the Bruins.

What's really great is that they will also be affected adversely due to the NBA labor issue and the overall makeup of the Celtics. They're lucky they have the Red Sox since even if they stink the team will continue to draw interest.

While I'm currently basking in the Ordway schadenfreude - what I'm really looking forward to is seeing D & C go down in flames.

Old
09-23-2011, 09:19 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Ice View Post
I'm in western Mass and only listen to radio in the car. Therefore all I have access to is EEI. I would KILL for some alternatives. What's it going to take to get 98.5 out past Worcester?

The big day time changes on WEEI haven't really produced all that much in the way of "better" programming. Mut and Lou are bland. Mut is seriously a young Dale Arnold in training. And I'm not really that impressed with the Ordway/Holley team. I swear sometimes I can hear the desperation in Ordway's voice. It's like he's working so hard to stir controversy where there isn't any. Like if he yells, more people will listen. D&C offer nothing in the way of substantial content. The station offers an incredible lack of creativity/inventiveness.

I mean, does 98.5 really talk hockey when it's not hockey season in the city where the hockey team just won the championship? If so, it's no frickin wonder Sports Hub is number 1.

Personally, as much as I love hockey I would never need it enough to listen to Felger, Mazz, Zolack, T&R or anyone else at that station talk about it.

Old
09-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
I remember those couple of days BB. Felger was on ESPN radio (nice and staticy, just the way EEI liked their "competition") and he was genuinely excited about game 6 coming up that saturday night and he wanted his listening audience to be excited as well. I seem to remember him saying something to the effect of "guys, don't look now, but Montreal, in Boston, game 6, do or die. Make no mistake, this is a BIG DEAL!".

Damn right it is you cheeseheaded carpetbagger. you go boy!

Then I turned to Sarge's favorite station and what were they talking about that thurs and friday leading up to that game? J....D....Effing Drew!

Sarge, you have incorrectly stated that we are mad at EEI for "ripping" the B's when they deserved it and we don't like that. Please give some examples. And don't mistake ripping with mocking. Because ripping implies that the subject being ripped is actually being taken seriously by the ripper.

And D and C? Like i've said before, they used to do something (i'm guessing they still do) that not even hockey hating Eddie Andleman ever did - trash the Beanpot. As i've bemoaned before, "what the hell did the Beanpot ever do to you?!"

They hated hockey, and by extension despised us and held us in contempt, over a course of decades!

And I repeat - given all that, any hockey fan (especially one of the old timers) that knows all that and still listens to them is a self hating hockey fan.

Old
09-23-2011, 09:31 PM
NHRonin

Quote:
And at different times over the past 10-12 years, some of that was absolutely hilarious and deserved, considering the product the B's were putting on the ice at the time.

I remember one particular segment where people, including myself used it to call in and complain about nobody doing anything to
Adam Mair when he cheap shotted Krejci, knocking him out.

But, I'm sure nobody here complained about that incident or criticized the B's players for not taking action, right?

Oh wait, now I remember, there was probably a 15 page thread about it, none very positive about our beloved Bruins.
It wasn't just the Bruins that WEEI mocked but the fans and the sport in general. Now that the Bs are the champs and there is competition on the air, the chickens have come home to roost for Ordway and co.

Old
09-23-2011, 09:39 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
I remember those couple of days BB. Felger was on ESPN radio (nice and staticy, just the way EEI liked their "competition") and he was genuinely excited about game 6 coming up that saturday night and he wanted his listening audience to be excited as well. I seem to remember him saying something to the effect of "guys, don't look now, but Montreal, in Boston, game 6, do or die. Make no mistake, this is a BIG DEAL!".

Damn right it is you cheeseheaded carpetbagger. you go boy!

Then I turned to Sarge's favorite station and what were they talking about that thurs and friday leading up to that game? J....D....Effing Drew!

Sarge, you have incorrectly stated that we are mad at EEI for "ripping" the B's when they deserved it and we don't like that. Please give some examples. And don't mistake ripping with mocking. Because ripping implies that the subject being ripped is actually being taken seriously by the rippee.

And D and C? Like i've said before, they used to do something (i'm guessing they still do) that not even hockey hating Eddie Andleman ever did - trash the Beanpot. As i've bemoaned before, "what the hell did the Beanpot ever do to you?!"

They hated hockey, and by extension despised us and held us in contempt, over a course of decades!

And I repeat - given all that, any hockey fan (especially one of the old timers) that knows all that and still listens to them is a self hating hockey fan.
First of all, if I need to find something out about the B's or hockey in general, there are about 10 places I'd go to before either local radio station, starting here.

I guess it comes down to this. Unlike many here it seems, I'm interested to the Bruins about 25 % of the time and I'm not a thin skinned hockey fan. I understand it is a niche sport and is often made fun of. Oh well. (Remember, I'm also politically conservative, so I'm used to things I enjoy or believe in being knocked without merit)

I'm also just as interested in the Sox, Pats and various other sports programming the other 75% of the time and for my money, despite their deficiencies with hockey, (which to be honest, isn't that great a topic on the radio) they are light years better in all other aspects than the other station.

Michael Holley is the most knowledgeable guy in the Boston sports media today regarding the NFL, NBA and MLB. His books are incredible and the inside knowledge he has is unmatched at the other station. It isn't even close. Ordway has his faults but to me he's way more likable than at least 7 of the guys at the other station.

Mutt and Merloni are average but still better than Gresch and Zo.

DA, just comes across a guy who's been told that he's something special for his whole life and he completely agrees with that assessment.

They just do nothing for me.

Old
09-23-2011, 09:46 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRonin View Post
It wasn't just the Bruins that WEEI mocked but the fans and the sport in general. Now that the Bs are the champs and there is competition on the air, the chickens have come home to roost for Ordway and co.
Maybe, but what if the B's have a cup hangover. Hockey isn't a great sport to talk about on radion anyway and if they're just muddling along for a big chunk of this season or next, it could impact them greatly.

Think about it objectively for a minute, they got a huge bump from the 4th most popular team in the city, that plays the 5 - 7th most popular sport in the country. Not a lot of margin for error there, IMO.

We're in uncharted territory right now and to be honest, newness is something the other station has going for it.

It is entirely possible that after a while, people will start having problems with them like they did with WEEI.

Either way, EEI is here to stay and all the other station has done for me is to make WEEI better. Less commercial breaks, more committment to keeping things fresh etc.

Old
09-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Maybe, but what if the B's have a cup hangover. Hockey isn't a great sport to talk about on radion anyway and if they're just muddling along for a big chunk of this season or next, it could impact them greatly.

Think about it objectively for a minute, they got a huge bump from the 4th most popular team in the city, that plays the 5 - 7th most popular sport in the country. Not a lot of margin for error there, IMO.

We're in uncharted territory right now and to be honest, newness is something the other station has going for it.

It is entirely possible that after a while, people will start having problems with them like they did with WEEI.

Either way, EEI is here to stay and all the other station has done for me is to make WEEI better. Less commercial breaks, more committment to keeping things fresh etc.
Wow, you're really reaching for the excuses, aren't you? Do you work for EEI?

Old
09-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Hnidy Hnight

Quote:
Mutt and Merloni are average but still better than Gresch and Zo.
They're the only weei show I've listened to in the B's offseason. I was skeptical at first because I assumed Merloni would be a Red Sox propaganda mouth piece, but he hasn't been. Still miss Dale though, the backlash of losing D&H burried this show before day 1. Mornings and afternoon drives are 98.5 for me though

Old
09-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight View Post
They're the only weei show I've listened to in the B's offseason. I was skeptical at first because I assumed Merloni would be a Red Sox propaganda mouth piece, but he hasn't been. Still miss Dale though, the backlash of losing D&H burried this show before day 1. Mornings and afternoon drives are 98.5 for me though
Yep..never gave Mut and Merloni a chance. Mutt is awful and they shouldn't have replaced Dale with that scrub.

Old
09-23-2011, 10:19 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Wow, you're really reaching for the excuses, aren't you? Do you work for EEI?

I guess to the Jack Edwards crowd, any hockey talk would be compelling.

The kid next door to me had a goal and 3 assists last Sunday in his Mite B game. Maybe I'll call in to Felger and Mazz with updates next week to entertain you.

Old
09-23-2011, 10:24 PM
The Scarecrow
2011 Cup Champions

Quote:

That's your opinion that hockey isn't a great sport to talk about. I could talk hours with my friends and family about hockey. As for a hangover, even if they were to find themselves in the bottom of the playoff standings (no way they don't make the playoffs), wouldn't that just be more to talk about?

Lots of maybe and if thoughts in your post. I do agree with you that EEI will not go away. There is room for two stations in this region.

Old
09-23-2011, 10:29 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
That's your opinion that hockey isn't a great sport to talk about. I could talk hours with my friends and family about hockey. As for a hangover, even if they were to find themselves in the bottom of the playoff standings (no way they don't make the playoffs), wouldn't that just be more to talk about?

Lots of maybe and if thoughts in your post. I do agree with you that EEI will not go away. There is room for two stations in this region.

I think I probably stated it wrong.

You and your friends can talk about it for hours because you know the game.

Have you ever really listened to some of the people who call in to talk hockey?

Cringe-worthy, for the most part, just totally uninformed.

Obviously not all but a much higher percentage than the other sports and couple it with the fact that the large majority of the hosts don't know the game as well as the average poster here and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Old
09-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

Even when the B's have done well over the past few years they ignored and mocked the B's. Once they ditched Pete all B's talk disappeared.

Old
09-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I guess to the Jack Edwards crowd, any hockey talk would be compelling.

The kid next door to me had a goal and 3 assists last Sunday in his Mite B game. Maybe I'll call in to Felger and Mazz with updates next week to entertain you.
Wow, you MUST work for EEI. Your logic is exactly like theirs!

Old
09-23-2011, 10:41 PM
The Scarecrow
2011 Cup Champions

Quote:
I think I probably stated it wrong.

You and your friends can talk about it for hours because you know the game.

Have you ever really listened to some of the people who call in to talk hockey?

Cringe-worthy, for the most part, just totally uninformed.

Obviously not all but a much higher percentage than the other sports and couple it with the fact that the large majority of the hosts don't know the game as well as the average poster here and you've got a recipe for disaster.
Some calls are awful. Sometimes I'll put on a music station or plug in my iPod but I don't believe hockey has a higher percentage of idiotic calls than any other sport. I feel it's pretty even amongst all the sports, though I can't speak for the quality of basket ball. Never cared for squeaky ball.

The hosts on Sports Hub could be better. Sometimes I shake my head. But what should I choose? Do I limit myself because they aren't as die-hard as me? No hockey talk or decent hockey talk? I'm first and foremost a hockey fan.

Closed Thread