HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Sports Radio Thread Part 4

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-23-2011, 09:04 PM
  #901
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 11,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthebronx View Post
Since I have no doubt that the ratings will continue to plummet it will be fun watching the brain trust over at EEI desperately trying to come up with the magic bullet to cure their ills.
And then 98.5 will get lazy and arrogant due to lack of competition and then everyone will start complaining about them being lazy and arrogant and start hoping that another station comes along to take them down.

sarge88 is online now  
Old
09-23-2011, 09:04 PM
  #902
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 19,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beantown bullies View Post
Oh I get that. I just thought that hmm I don't know, before the start of a playoff series against Montreal that it might have worked. Stupid me
Well, you know better now, right?

It was funny to see EEI scrambling like mad to make up for their lack of attention to the Bruins and hockey in general. They're paying the price now, for certain. What goes around, comes around.

Artemis is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 09:07 PM
  #903
beantown bullies
LOOOOOOCH
 
beantown bullies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
I don't blame you at all, I'd probably feel the same way. I am never going to say they are perfect by any means and that was wrong and bad business to be honest.

But when you provide local programming for about 120 hours a week for over 20 years or so, you're going to make mistakes and tick some people off. It's the nature of the beast.
I honestly think that their past success has something to do with it as well. Providing the local sports programming for over 20 years might have led to their downfall a bit, too. The fact that you get so used to the way one thing is run, when something new comes along people may wanted to have just checked on the Sports Hub and liked over there. On a pure sports broadcasting, 985 is home of Bruins hockey and Patriots football. Naturally, most Bruins and Pats fans are going to switch over to the home station of those teams. As for getting flamed on this board, like a previous poster said, it's the Bruins board. When we (fans) have been getting s--t on over there for numerous years and are welcome on The Sports Hub, people are going to like that. Like I said, I will not flame at you for listening to EEI, it is your choice and you have every right to listen to EEI.

beantown bullies is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 09:10 PM
  #904
Open Ice
Registered User
 
Open Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Valley
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
I'm in western Mass and only listen to radio in the car. Therefore all I have access to is EEI. I would KILL for some alternatives. What's it going to take to get 98.5 out past Worcester?

The big day time changes on WEEI haven't really produced all that much in the way of "better" programming. Mut and Lou are bland. Mut is seriously a young Dale Arnold in training. And I'm not really that impressed with the Ordway/Holley team. I swear sometimes I can hear the desperation in Ordway's voice. It's like he's working so hard to stir controversy where there isn't any. Like if he yells, more people will listen. D&C offer nothing in the way of substantial content. The station offers an incredible lack of creativity/inventiveness.

I mean, does 98.5 really talk hockey when it's not hockey season in the city where the hockey team just won the championship? If so, it's no frickin wonder Sports Hub is number 1.

Open Ice is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 09:19 PM
  #905
lostinthebronx
Registered User
 
lostinthebronx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Well, you know better now, right?

It was funny to see EEI scrambling like mad to make up for their lack of attention to the Bruins and hockey in general. They're paying the price now, for certain. What goes around, comes around.
It was both funny and embarrassing - I briefly tuned in a couple of times just for a good laugh and I wasn't the least bit disappointed by their half-a** attempts at feigning interest in the Bruins.

What's really great is that they will also be affected adversely due to the NBA labor issue and the overall makeup of the Celtics. They're lucky they have the Red Sox since even if they stink the team will continue to draw interest.

While I'm currently basking in the Ordway schadenfreude - what I'm really looking forward to is seeing D & C go down in flames.

lostinthebronx is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 09:19 PM
  #906
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 11,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Ice View Post
I'm in western Mass and only listen to radio in the car. Therefore all I have access to is EEI. I would KILL for some alternatives. What's it going to take to get 98.5 out past Worcester?

The big day time changes on WEEI haven't really produced all that much in the way of "better" programming. Mut and Lou are bland. Mut is seriously a young Dale Arnold in training. And I'm not really that impressed with the Ordway/Holley team. I swear sometimes I can hear the desperation in Ordway's voice. It's like he's working so hard to stir controversy where there isn't any. Like if he yells, more people will listen. D&C offer nothing in the way of substantial content. The station offers an incredible lack of creativity/inventiveness.

I mean, does 98.5 really talk hockey when it's not hockey season in the city where the hockey team just won the championship? If so, it's no frickin wonder Sports Hub is number 1.

Personally, as much as I love hockey I would never need it enough to listen to Felger, Mazz, Zolack, T&R or anyone else at that station talk about it.

sarge88 is online now  
Old
09-23-2011, 09:20 PM
  #907
Pie O My
Registered User
 
Pie O My's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Shawmut Center
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beantown bullies View Post
Oh I get that. I just thought that hmm I don't know, before the start of a playoff series against Montreal that it might have worked. Stupid me
I remember those couple of days BB. Felger was on ESPN radio (nice and staticy, just the way EEI liked their "competition") and he was genuinely excited about game 6 coming up that saturday night and he wanted his listening audience to be excited as well. I seem to remember him saying something to the effect of "guys, don't look now, but Montreal, in Boston, game 6, do or die. Make no mistake, this is a BIG DEAL!".

Damn right it is you cheeseheaded carpetbagger. you go boy!

Then I turned to Sarge's favorite station and what were they talking about that thurs and friday leading up to that game? J....D....Effing Drew!

Sarge, you have incorrectly stated that we are mad at EEI for "ripping" the B's when they deserved it and we don't like that. Please give some examples. And don't mistake ripping with mocking. Because ripping implies that the subject being ripped is actually being taken seriously by the ripper.

And D and C? Like i've said before, they used to do something (i'm guessing they still do) that not even hockey hating Eddie Andleman ever did - trash the Beanpot. As i've bemoaned before, "what the hell did the Beanpot ever do to you?!"

They hated hockey, and by extension despised us and held us in contempt, over a course of decades!

And I repeat - given all that, any hockey fan (especially one of the old timers) that knows all that and still listens to them is a self hating hockey fan.

Pie O My is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 09:31 PM
  #908
NHRonin
Registered User
 
NHRonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vieste, Italy
Country: United States
Posts: 2,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
And at different times over the past 10-12 years, some of that was absolutely hilarious and deserved, considering the product the B's were putting on the ice at the time.

I remember one particular segment where people, including myself used it to call in and complain about nobody doing anything to
Adam Mair when he cheap shotted Krejci, knocking him out.

But, I'm sure nobody here complained about that incident or criticized the B's players for not taking action, right?

Oh wait, now I remember, there was probably a 15 page thread about it, none very positive about our beloved Bruins.
It wasn't just the Bruins that WEEI mocked but the fans and the sport in general. Now that the Bs are the champs and there is competition on the air, the chickens have come home to roost for Ordway and co.

NHRonin is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 09:39 PM
  #909
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 11,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
I remember those couple of days BB. Felger was on ESPN radio (nice and staticy, just the way EEI liked their "competition") and he was genuinely excited about game 6 coming up that saturday night and he wanted his listening audience to be excited as well. I seem to remember him saying something to the effect of "guys, don't look now, but Montreal, in Boston, game 6, do or die. Make no mistake, this is a BIG DEAL!".

Damn right it is you cheeseheaded carpetbagger. you go boy!

Then I turned to Sarge's favorite station and what were they talking about that thurs and friday leading up to that game? J....D....Effing Drew!

Sarge, you have incorrectly stated that we are mad at EEI for "ripping" the B's when they deserved it and we don't like that. Please give some examples. And don't mistake ripping with mocking. Because ripping implies that the subject being ripped is actually being taken seriously by the rippee.

And D and C? Like i've said before, they used to do something (i'm guessing they still do) that not even hockey hating Eddie Andleman ever did - trash the Beanpot. As i've bemoaned before, "what the hell did the Beanpot ever do to you?!"

They hated hockey, and by extension despised us and held us in contempt, over a course of decades!

And I repeat - given all that, any hockey fan (especially one of the old timers) that knows all that and still listens to them is a self hating hockey fan.
First of all, if I need to find something out about the B's or hockey in general, there are about 10 places I'd go to before either local radio station, starting here.

I guess it comes down to this. Unlike many here it seems, I'm interested to the Bruins about 25 % of the time and I'm not a thin skinned hockey fan. I understand it is a niche sport and is often made fun of. Oh well. (Remember, I'm also politically conservative, so I'm used to things I enjoy or believe in being knocked without merit)

I'm also just as interested in the Sox, Pats and various other sports programming the other 75% of the time and for my money, despite their deficiencies with hockey, (which to be honest, isn't that great a topic on the radio) they are light years better in all other aspects than the other station.

Michael Holley is the most knowledgeable guy in the Boston sports media today regarding the NFL, NBA and MLB. His books are incredible and the inside knowledge he has is unmatched at the other station. It isn't even close. Ordway has his faults but to me he's way more likable than at least 7 of the guys at the other station.

Mutt and Merloni are average but still better than Gresch and Zo.

DA, just comes across a guy who's been told that he's something special for his whole life and he completely agrees with that assessment.

They just do nothing for me.

sarge88 is online now  
Old
09-23-2011, 09:46 PM
  #910
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 11,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRonin View Post
It wasn't just the Bruins that WEEI mocked but the fans and the sport in general. Now that the Bs are the champs and there is competition on the air, the chickens have come home to roost for Ordway and co.
Maybe, but what if the B's have a cup hangover. Hockey isn't a great sport to talk about on radion anyway and if they're just muddling along for a big chunk of this season or next, it could impact them greatly.

Think about it objectively for a minute, they got a huge bump from the 4th most popular team in the city, that plays the 5 - 7th most popular sport in the country. Not a lot of margin for error there, IMO.

We're in uncharted territory right now and to be honest, newness is something the other station has going for it.

It is entirely possible that after a while, people will start having problems with them like they did with WEEI.

Either way, EEI is here to stay and all the other station has done for me is to make WEEI better. Less commercial breaks, more committment to keeping things fresh etc.

sarge88 is online now  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:06 PM
  #911
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 19,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
Maybe, but what if the B's have a cup hangover. Hockey isn't a great sport to talk about on radion anyway and if they're just muddling along for a big chunk of this season or next, it could impact them greatly.

Think about it objectively for a minute, they got a huge bump from the 4th most popular team in the city, that plays the 5 - 7th most popular sport in the country. Not a lot of margin for error there, IMO.

We're in uncharted territory right now and to be honest, newness is something the other station has going for it.

It is entirely possible that after a while, people will start having problems with them like they did with WEEI.

Either way, EEI is here to stay and all the other station has done for me is to make WEEI better. Less commercial breaks, more committment to keeping things fresh etc.
Wow, you're really reaching for the excuses, aren't you? Do you work for EEI?

Artemis is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:16 PM
  #912
Hnidy Hnight
Registered User
 
Hnidy Hnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
Mutt and Merloni are average but still better than Gresch and Zo.
They're the only weei show I've listened to in the B's offseason. I was skeptical at first because I assumed Merloni would be a Red Sox propaganda mouth piece, but he hasn't been. Still miss Dale though, the backlash of losing D&H burried this show before day 1. Mornings and afternoon drives are 98.5 for me though

Hnidy Hnight is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:18 PM
  #913
Shaun
Registered User
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 22,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight View Post
They're the only weei show I've listened to in the B's offseason. I was skeptical at first because I assumed Merloni would be a Red Sox propaganda mouth piece, but he hasn't been. Still miss Dale though, the backlash of losing D&H burried this show before day 1. Mornings and afternoon drives are 98.5 for me though
Yep..never gave Mut and Merloni a chance. Mutt is awful and they shouldn't have replaced Dale with that scrub.

Shaun is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:19 PM
  #914
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 11,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Wow, you're really reaching for the excuses, aren't you? Do you work for EEI?

I guess to the Jack Edwards crowd, any hockey talk would be compelling.

The kid next door to me had a goal and 3 assists last Sunday in his Mite B game. Maybe I'll call in to Felger and Mazz with updates next week to entertain you.

sarge88 is online now  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:24 PM
  #915
The Scarecrow
2011 Cup Champions
 
The Scarecrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fall River, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
Maybe, but what if the B's have a cup hangover. Hockey isn't a great sport to talk about on radion anyway and if they're just muddling along for a big chunk of this season or next, it could impact them greatly.

Think about it objectively for a minute, they got a huge bump from the 4th most popular team in the city, that plays the 5 - 7th most popular sport in the country. Not a lot of margin for error there, IMO.

We're in uncharted territory right now and to be honest, newness is something the other station has going for it.

It is entirely possible that after a while, people will start having problems with them like they did with WEEI.

Either way, EEI is here to stay and all the other station has done for me is to make WEEI better. Less commercial breaks, more committment to keeping things fresh etc.
That's your opinion that hockey isn't a great sport to talk about. I could talk hours with my friends and family about hockey. As for a hangover, even if they were to find themselves in the bottom of the playoff standings (no way they don't make the playoffs), wouldn't that just be more to talk about?

Lots of maybe and if thoughts in your post. I do agree with you that EEI will not go away. There is room for two stations in this region.

The Scarecrow is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:29 PM
  #916
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 11,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
That's your opinion that hockey isn't a great sport to talk about. I could talk hours with my friends and family about hockey. As for a hangover, even if they were to find themselves in the bottom of the playoff standings (no way they don't make the playoffs), wouldn't that just be more to talk about?

Lots of maybe and if thoughts in your post. I do agree with you that EEI will not go away. There is room for two stations in this region.

I think I probably stated it wrong.

You and your friends can talk about it for hours because you know the game.

Have you ever really listened to some of the people who call in to talk hockey?

Cringe-worthy, for the most part, just totally uninformed.


Obviously not all but a much higher percentage than the other sports and couple it with the fact that the large majority of the hosts don't know the game as well as the average poster here and you've got a recipe for disaster.

sarge88 is online now  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:39 PM
  #917
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some
 
Lost Horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere
Country: United States
Posts: 8,584
vCash: 500
Even when the B's have done well over the past few years they ignored and mocked the B's. Once they ditched Pete all B's talk disappeared.

Lost Horizons is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:40 PM
  #918
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 19,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
I guess to the Jack Edwards crowd, any hockey talk would be compelling.

The kid next door to me had a goal and 3 assists last Sunday in his Mite B game. Maybe I'll call in to Felger and Mazz with updates next week to entertain you.
Wow, you MUST work for EEI. Your logic is exactly like theirs!

Artemis is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:41 PM
  #919
The Scarecrow
2011 Cup Champions
 
The Scarecrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fall River, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
I think I probably stated it wrong.

You and your friends can talk about it for hours because you know the game.

Have you ever really listened to some of the people who call in to talk hockey?

Cringe-worthy, for the most part, just totally uninformed.


Obviously not all but a much higher percentage than the other sports and couple it with the fact that the large majority of the hosts don't know the game as well as the average poster here and you've got a recipe for disaster.
Some calls are awful. Sometimes I'll put on a music station or plug in my iPod but I don't believe hockey has a higher percentage of idiotic calls than any other sport. I feel it's pretty even amongst all the sports, though I can't speak for the quality of basket ball. Never cared for squeaky ball.

The hosts on Sports Hub could be better. Sometimes I shake my head. But what should I choose? Do I limit myself because they aren't as die-hard as me? No hockey talk or decent hockey talk? I'm first and foremost a hockey fan.

The Scarecrow is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:44 PM
  #920
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 11,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Wow, you MUST work for EEI. Your logic is exactly like theirs!
Could do worse than be compared to an entity that was the gold standard of an industry for 20 years and raised millions for cancer research.

But then again, 98.5 has Michael Felger.


sarge88 is online now  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:46 PM
  #921
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 11,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
Some calls are awful. Sometimes I'll put on a music station or plug in my iPod but I don't believe hockey has a higher percentage of idiotic calls than any other sport. I feel it's pretty even amongst all the sports, though I can't speak for the quality of basket ball. Never cared for squeaky ball.

The hosts on Sports Hub could be better. Sometimes I shake my head. But what should I choose? Do I limit myself because they aren't as die-hard as me? No hockey talk or decent hockey talk? I'm first and foremost a hockey fan.

I see the point but I like Sox and Pats just as much, which is why I'm so committed to WEEI.

Merloni knows baseball better than anyone on either station and Holley is my favorite local radio guy.

sarge88 is online now  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:56 PM
  #922
The Scarecrow
2011 Cup Champions
 
The Scarecrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fall River, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
I see the point but I like Sox and Pats just as much, which is why I'm so committed to WEEI.

Merloni knows baseball better than anyone on either station and Holley is my favorite local radio guy.
It's easy to understand. I don't care if anybody likes one station over the other.

I wonder how many here care more about the Bruins than the other sports. I would think a majority since a GDT reaches max frequently and the other sports' OT threads last months. I think this is your answer to why posters here blast EEI so much and find Sports Hub more favorable.

The Scarecrow is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:57 PM
  #923
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 11,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
It's easy to understand. I don't care if anybody likes one station over the other.

I wonder how many here care more about the Bruins than the other sports. I would think a majority since a GDT reaches max frequently and the other sports' OT threads last months. I think this is your answer to why posters here blast EEI so much and find Sports Hub more favorable.
I agree, you're probably right on the mark about that.

sarge88 is online now  
Old
09-23-2011, 11:01 PM
  #924
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,005
vCash: 500
I find it humorous that there's a solid handful of posts dissecting the political views of the various hosts on both stations.

Were talking about sports talk radio, right? Not NPR, WBZ, or any other news -based outlets? There's a reason this has entered the equation,and its not because of the sports hub.

Kate08 is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 11:07 PM
  #925
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
Could do worse than be compared to an entity that was the gold standard of an industry for 20 years and raised millions for cancer research.

But then again, 98.5 has Michael Felger.

I look forward to the day you can discuss the quality of WEEIs programming without bringing up their work with the Jimmy Fund. Yes, their commitment to charity work is admirable, and they have a stranglehold on the regions most notorious charity simply by virtue of being the oldest sports radio station in the region. I fail to see how the quality of their hosts and programming has anything at all to do with the fine work they've done with the Jimmy Fund.

The Red Sox were active with - hell, helped FOUND - the Jimmy Fund during their 86 years of futility. Are Sox fans supposed to forget that, too, because they were active in the community?

Kate08 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.