HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Score Second Victory of the Day

Old
09-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Rangers Score Second Victory of the Day

After the Rangers’ prospects defeated the Devils 5-4 in overtime this afternoon, the NHL team took the big stage in the Prudential Center tonight and defeated New Jersey by the score of 4-3. The victory was hard fought and featured a waived off tieing goal by Ilya Kovalchuk in the last minutes of the game. [...]

More...

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:09 AM
DontStaal

Great read as always Leslie.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i did not think Callahan had a particularly good game at all, he just looked so....human. im used to seeing Cally doing more than i saw tonight.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:32 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

I still disagree about Sauer.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i did not think Callahan had a particularly good game at all, he just looked so....human. im used to seeing Cally doing more than i saw tonight.
I don't expect anyone to throw themselves in front of shots in a preseason game.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
I don't expect anyone to throw themselves in front of shots in a preseason game.
it wasnt just that....cally always...ALWAYS grabs my attention several times a game...with out and out hustle, by negating an icing, by throwing a huge hit to a guy three times his size, by setting up a scoring play, but geting a good shot on goal....i just didnt really notice him out there...thats probably the first time i can say that in 2 years....its the preseason though, im not worries.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

He actually did some great stick work, and got himself free tonight to make plays. It was not his usual kind of work--he did not bang or take guys on. It was more subtle work, but to me, he was very solid in a group where except for the top line, there was no offense.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 02:59 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

It still looks to me on every replay like Richards scored twice, but you know what? Let Bell have one.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 04:33 AM
eco's bones

Richards-Gaborik-Wolski looked really good.

On the bubble players--Erixon was so-so. Bell looked solid. MDZ had a good game. Valentenko played poorly. I thought Weise played well for the time he had and Hagelin looked more involved in this one. MZA was okay. Newbury not so hot-at least one needless penalty. Johnson played well in the third.

Boyle-Callahan-Rupp was an interesting experiment. I think I'm going to like Rupp. He can play and he can fight. Two 6'7'' guys on the same line--liked that.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 08:31 AM
msv957

Not sure I like this quote in the article

Tim Erixon had a really tough game. He looked timid and overmatched for much of the night. Again it is just one game, but, assuming Staal is ready (and that is a very big assumption), Erixon may be better off getting some seasoning in Connecticut than playing at this level to start the season.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 08:50 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I thought cally had a very solid game. First game as captain. He created some scoring chances and was all over the ice. It kind of went unnoticed but in the 1st period he hit kovalchuk in open ice with a pretty good body check. Kovalchuk went right back after him and cross checked him from behind.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:33 AM
beastly115

Agree with your assessment again. I'm probably in the minority, but I like Bell. He's closer to what I wish MDZ could become. He pinched at the right times, provided some offense, and still had a solid defensive game. To be completely honest, I've been more impressed with him than Erixon.

I thought I was the only one that thought Erixon struggled last night. I also didn't think he had a good game on Wed either.

As for the PP, I believe putting Dubinsky in Boyle's spot will work better. Dubinsky is a much better at holding the puck than Boyle and is vital for a PP.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Agree with your assessment again. I'm probably in the minority, but I like Bell. He's closer to what I wish MDZ could become. He pinched at the right times, provided some offense, and still had a solid defensive game. To be completely honest, I've been more impressed with him than Erixon.

I thought I was the only one that thought Erixon struggled last night. I also didn't think he had a good game on Wed either.

As for the PP, I believe putting Dubinsky in Boyle's spot will work better. Dubinsky is a much better at holding the puck than Boyle and is vital for a PP.
if Staal is not ready to go then Bell makes it, he's going over to Europe for sure. So lets see what he can do in a few more games

I get the feeling they may pull a McD with Erixon as in starting in the AHL and getting called up later

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:01 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
It still looks to me on every replay like Richards scored twice
EXACTLY! Richards obviously redirected that puck for the game winner--is everyone else blind?!

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Couple of things...

I thought Callahan had an OK game. He didn't play like Cally to me, but seemed more reserved which is to be expected. It's the pre-season. But... in particular, he didn't jump in front of shots like he does. That was actually smart though considering he has hurt himself on numerous accasions doing so. I thought one thing needed mention though. Kudos to Mike Rupp. Earlier in the game Boulton took a Ranger player. It was near the blueline and I think it was Cally but I had no sound and play continued. Looked knee on knee to me. Anyway late in the game Rupp went looking for it which is not like him. I think this was due to the hit earlier in the game by Boulton. Rupp plays the game like his size suggests. He threw the most hits of any Rangers player. Actually more than double of any other Rangers player. And...he makes them count. He is so big and his is very good for a big guy. If the Rangers make the playoffs, I am looking forward to having a guy like Rupp than can wear down a defense over a 7 game series. Guys are not going to want this monster throwing the body over an extended period of time.

On the top line I thought they were very good together. I am NOT a Wolski fan, but he had a good game. Not great, but good. He fit in. Richards and Gaborik thought had very good chemistry for game 1. Don't want to overanalyze it, but they looked like great together. Richards has the kind of creativity that I haven't seen on the Rangers since guys like Gretz and Leetch were here. Again, its only 1 game, but you can tell early on that he is offensivly gifted.

On Boyle, im not ready to count him out of the top 6. I think last year he 100% earned the right to at least get a good look up there, however I am not so certain that he is fit for the Left side. I think he's a better fit on the right side. And while we know he isn't going to outplay Gaborik, I think he deserves a good look on the 2nd line and up front on the Power play.

On the D...McDonough and Sauer were ok. Not great just OK, but I don't they were out of place. Just need some icetime to get into thier groove. I agree on Bell and on Del Zotto. Bell got beat early in the game, but he made up for it as the game went on. He was steady, his and he looks like he belongs out there. One thing was missing from both of thier games though. Nobody playing overly physical, while the Devil forwards were. Nobody played equalizer. Agree on Erixon too. This was the first game I thought he was not playing with confidence. On V-Tank, while he wasn't a stand out I don't think he had a bad game at all. One thing I liked was, on the giveaway in the offensive zone. He anticipated well, and did a great job of getting back to negate an odd-man rush. He saw that play develop, and reacted exceptionally well.

Wasen't impressed with Zuccarello, despite his plus +2 rating. He showed aggression in the offensive zone so that was aplus, but where is the great creativity he is supposed to bring to the table?

Wasen't impressed with Newbury and to be honest I am not so sure why he keeps getting a look. He loogged more icetime than Weise did, but he didn't throw 1 hit in that time. If you are fighting for a 4th line position you have to make yourself noticed on every pre-season shift.

Weise only logged 7 minutes, but he managed 2 hits, and 2 shots on goal. He also drove the net well on one play. I like him, and I think he is making a statement so far in the pre-season.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:51 PM
fiedy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
it wasnt just that....cally always...ALWAYS grabs my attention several times a game...with out and out hustle, by negating an icing, by throwing a huge hit to a guy three times his size, by setting up a scoring play, but geting a good shot on goal....i just didnt really notice him out there...thats probably the first time i can say that in 2 years....its the preseason though, im not worries.
he wasn't with Artie and Dubi, it's all going to be just fine.

fiedy88 is offline   Reply With Quote