HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Recommended cage for Bauer 4500 helmet?

Old
09-22-2011, 06:52 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

vCash: 500
Recommended cage for Bauer 4500 helmet?

I am finally getting my first cage since I was 14 (22 now), and now that I'm changing from a 5000 to a 4500, the cage I used to wear sticks out to the sides too much.

Any recommendations for what kind of cage I should get for a large helmet? I'd rather not get one that doesn't fit right.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:37 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Cages are sized for your face, not for the helmet. Just because you wear a large helmet does not mean you need a large cage.

Instead of asking us while providing no information about what size or model cage you have, why don't you go to your local store and try a few on? Bring your helmet to help you size, and to see how well they fit.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Typically with Bauer you can use the same size cage as your helmet. You may have to bend it a bit with your hands.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:38 PM
mhkehoe

Most cages should fit, so it comes down to your preference. I am using the Bauer 9900 (9500) cage and really like it (using Reebok 6k helmet). Great sight, light, but it does seem to be a little shorter than other cages. Just have to wear the cage properly for it to protect properly.

I used the Jofa 480 (same as CCM 480) and liked that one as well.

So basically, buy whatever will fit, and as mentioned, bend it a tad if you need to.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:05 PM
AIREAYE

Definitely try to stick with Bauer/Itech cages; if only for legal reasons. Agreed with cptjeff; it's a tough call. In my experiences, the cages usually go size-to-size with helmets, but you need to try them on.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:46 PM
bigbadbruins1

wear a visor
honestly... if you can bear the potential of losing a few teeth wearing a visor/ no cage is significantly better. I saw a drastic improvement once I started wearing a visor.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Guffaw

Love the Bauer 9900 cage.

If you drive without a seat belt, buy lottery tickets, or are relying on social security for 100% of your retirement then you may be a candidate for a visor. Otherwise wear a cage because broken teeth and facial stitches in meaningless games suck.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:58 PM
bigbadbruins1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Love the Bauer 9900 cage.

If you drive without a seat belt, buy lottery tickets, or are relying on social security for 100% of your retirement then you may be a candidate for a visor. Otherwise wear a cage because broken teeth and facial stitches in meaningless games suck.
meaningless!?!? I'm offended!

Old
09-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 View Post
meaningless!?!? I'm offended!
Meaningless as in outcome doesn't determine your future earnings or career path. In games such as those one could argue that the reward is worth increasing the risk of injury.

I like the shield guys personally. It gives me a nice chuckle every time one of them leaves with a bloody mouth in men's league. The best are the guys with just the helmet

It's not surprising. I mean people still smoke and it says right on the pack that it will kill you. Humans-not the most rational bunch

Old
09-24-2011, 10:01 AM
bigbadbruins1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Meaningless as in outcome doesn't determine your future earnings or career path. In games such as those one could argue that the reward is worth increasing the risk of injury.

I like the shield guys personally. It gives me a nice chuckle every time one of them leaves with a bloody mouth in men's league. The best are the guys with just the helmet

It's not surprising. I mean people still smoke and it says right on the pack that it will kill you. Humans-not the most rational bunch
now is the perfect time.. Chicks dig scars! not so much missing teeth, but scars!

Old
09-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 View Post
now is the perfect time.. Chicks dig scars! not so much missing teeth, but scars!
Your choice. Enjoy

Old
09-25-2011, 08:29 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

I wear a size L Bauer 5000 and I use a size med Jofa/CCM FM480 cage. It's the best cage I've tried and not too expensive. Full review here. I made the mistake of ordering a large cage first.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote