HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign Nicklas Jensen to ELC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-22-2011, 11:22 PM
  #26
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Can anyone run down why it's beneficial to sign him now as opposed to later? One aspect of the CBA I'm fairly unfamiliar with..
So he can't pull an Erixon?

Generally unless something odd happens teams like signing their 1st rounders early.

(As example Canucks signed Hodgson Oct after they drafted him... Schroeder was a little difference due to University)

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:41 PM
  #27
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Can anyone run down why it's beneficial to sign him now as opposed to later? One aspect of the CBA I'm fairly unfamiliar with..
The only reason to wait to sign your 1st rounder is if you still think there's a risk he won't develop well.

Jensen's already shown enough that there's no reason not to sign him. If he doesn't make the team (which he likely won't), his contract slides... You still have him on the 3yr deal after he finishes his junior season(s). And it won't cost under the 50 contract limit.

It was an obvious signing. Good to see Gillis do it early, after he's worked hard and impressed in camp so far... It's rewarding a player who should have been.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:49 PM
  #28
metric
Registered User
 
metric's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,519
vCash: 500
IIRC the cap hit can change because of how the bonus breakdown works but I'm not 100%. I'm pretty sure I read that before.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:10 AM
  #29
Iceberg Slim
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Denmark
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
IIRC the cap hit can change because of how the bonus breakdown works but I'm not 100%. I'm pretty sure I read that before.
The cap hit certainly can change if the ELC includes a signing bonus and the contract slides for one or more seasons.

A good example of how this works is seen in the Cody Hodgson contract:

Hodgson's deal was an ELC at $2,625,000 over the standard 3 year term. The deal had a 10% signing bonus. The average NHL salary (including signing bonus) was $875,000, with an additional $850,000 in potential performance bonuses (annually).

In the first year, the cap hit was $1,725,000 ($875,000 in NHL salary + $850,000 in performance bonuses). After the contract slid, $87,500 of the signing bonus (that year's portion) came off the books, as far as the cap was concerned. Instead of looking at $1,725,000 for each of three years, that $87,500 comes off the back end of the deal, for cap calculations, meaning the the new cap figure is as follows: ($1,725,000 + $1,725,000 + 1,637,500*) / 3 years = $1,695,833.

*the $1,637,500 here is the initial $1,725,000 minus $87,500 (the "annual portion" of the signing bonus used for salary cap calculations)

So after the deal slid one year, the cap hit went down from $1,725,000 (for 2008-09) to $1,695,833 (2009-10).

Similarly, when the contract slid a second year, another $87,500 of the signing bonus comes off the back end of the cap calculation. This means that the new cap figure looks like this: ($1,725,000 + 1,637,500 + 1,637,500) / 3 years = $1,666,666.

So after two years of contract slide, the cap hit has gone from $1,725,000 (in 2008-09) to $1,695,833 (2009-10) to $1,666,666 (2010-11; and for the remainder of the contract through 2012-13, as it doesn't slide again).

That's why Cody Hodgson's cap hit is now $1,666,666 but it was calculated at $1,725,000 the year his ELC was signed.

If my explanations are a little hard to follow, it might be easier to look at Hodgson's capgeek page to see how this all works: http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=732

If Jensen's deal includes a signing bonus, then his initial cap hit will be reduced in a similar fashion for every year his contract slides.

Iceberg Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 07:17 PM
  #30
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Sounds like Mike Gillis received an enthusiastic endorsement of Jensen from none other than Coach Vee.

Jensen is slated to play with the more veteran laden roster on Saturday night so it should be a good measuring stick to see how he fares as compared to NHLers as opposed to Young Stars and scrubs.
"Love him," Alain Vigneault said when asked about the Canucks 2011 first-round draft pick. "I was waiting for somebody to ask me a question about him. You look at the size and the skill, and his overall puck protection skills on the ice.

"There's a young man, from what I've seen so far, who has a tremendous amount of upside. No fear. He just goes out and plays. I was really happy the organization was able to come to terms with him.

"You can't buy that size and skill."
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Vi...#ixzz1YpAkuRP1

At 18 he is already 6'2" and 202 pounds.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476482

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:49 PM
  #31
Guardian452
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
So he can't pull an Erixon?

Generally unless something odd happens teams like signing their 1st rounders early.

(As example Canucks signed Hodgson Oct after they drafted him... Schroeder was a little difference due to University)
Pretty much. Teams retain exclusive negotiating rights to their draft choices only until the June 1 following the draft. Unless they offer the player a contract prior to that date, then any team can make that player an offer. If the club makes a contract offer, then they retain the player's rights for at least another year.

The rules are different for college players.

Guardian452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:13 PM
  #32
JamesBond*
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Great news.

He looks to be the one of the most NHL ready guys in his first year then a lot of the other players we've drafted in the past.
He's played 2 exhibition games. Remember how "ready" Luc Bourdon was in his first camp?

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:14 PM
  #33
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1
 
John Swartzwelder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,365
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
He's played 2 exhibition games. Remember how "ready" Luc Bourdon was in his first camp?
and he broke his leg and was never the same...

John Swartzwelder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:22 PM
  #34
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
He's played 2 exhibition games. Remember how "ready" Luc Bourdon was in his first camp?
Brian Allen was also NHL ready after his first camp until an injury set him back. Just like Luc.

I don't remember how good his first pre season was, but I think Holden also falls into this category.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 11:49 PM
  #35
hackey
You're Not Bored...
 
hackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: You're Boring
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Brian Allen was also NHL ready after his first camp until an injury set him back. Just like Luc.

I don't remember how good his first pre season was, but I think Holden also falls into this category.
The Canucks have never had the best of luck with their 1st round picks, surrendering to injury

- Josh Holden -
Quote:
This was in a Junior Game after the Canucks drafted him...
Holden suffered a potentially career-ending injury when an opponent's skate cut Holden on the back of his left wrist.
The resulting gash severed tendons and ligaments to such an extent that Holden was only able to move his baby finger afterwards
- Luc and his broken leg

- Hodgson and his "back" injury that set him back almost a full year of development

But there has also been success in their 1st round picks
The Sedins
Kesler
Schneider

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:27 AM
  #36
metric
Registered User
 
metric's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,519
vCash: 500
Daniel also had a severe back injury that required surgery.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:31 AM
  #37
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Na'ē panjā
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Daniel also had a severe back injury that required surgery.
His injury wasn't misdiagnosed three times over the span of months like Hodgson's, though.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:36 AM
  #38
metric
Registered User
 
metric's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
His injury wasn't misdiagnosed three times over the span of months like Hodgson's, though.
Still an injury though. We are talking about luck. Hodgson's back injury was unlucky. The misdiagnoses were not.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:34 AM
  #39
Jay Cee
P4G
 
Jay Cee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Sounds like Mike Gillis received an enthusiastic endorsement of Jensen from none other than Coach Vee.

Jensen is slated to play with the more veteran laden roster on Saturday night so it should be a good measuring stick to see how he fares as compared to NHLers as opposed to Young Stars and scrubs.
"Love him," Alain Vigneault said when asked about the Canucks 2011 first-round draft pick. "I was waiting for somebody to ask me a question about him. You look at the size and the skill, and his overall puck protection skills on the ice.

"There's a young man, from what I've seen so far, who has a tremendous amount of upside. No fear. He just goes out and plays. I was really happy the organization was able to come to terms with him.

"You can't buy that size and skill."
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Vi...#ixzz1YpAkuRP1

At 18 he is already 6'2" and 202 pounds.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476482
Sounds to me like we have a mancrush developing. What I don't get is that he isn't french. What gives!?

Comments like this and the fact that Jensen can play in the bottom 6 more easily seem to indicate he has an outside chance to make the team.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 08:32 PM
  #40
TacitEndorsement
Registered User
 
TacitEndorsement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
He's played 2 exhibition games. Remember how "ready" Luc Bourdon was in his first camp?
Every player is a different case. That's an awful reason to discount somebody. There isn't any logic in that.

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 08:48 PM
  #41
Carolane
Rookie User
 
Carolane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Good for him.

but unless he blows everyone away he wont be around this season

Carolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 08:52 PM
  #42
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
Sounds to me like we have a mancrush developing. What I don't get is that he isn't french. What gives!?

Comments like this and the fact that Jensen can play in the bottom 6 more easily seem to indicate he has an outside chance to make the team.
I can't see him making the team for the season, I can see him getting an outside shot to play up to 9 NHL games. Gillis has said he wants to develop players and not rush them, Jensen will be playing in the OHL this season.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 09:15 PM
  #43
Red
Registered User
 
Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: VanCity
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,081
vCash: 500
wrong thread

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.