HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Official Sports Radio Thread Part 4

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-23-2011, 10:44 PM
  #926
sarge88
Registered User
 
sarge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Wow, you MUST work for EEI. Your logic is exactly like theirs!
Could do worse than be compared to an entity that was the gold standard of an industry for 20 years and raised millions for cancer research.

But then again, 98.5 has Michael Felger.


sarge88 is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:46 PM
  #927
sarge88
Registered User
 
sarge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
Some calls are awful. Sometimes I'll put on a music station or plug in my iPod but I don't believe hockey has a higher percentage of idiotic calls than any other sport. I feel it's pretty even amongst all the sports, though I can't speak for the quality of basket ball. Never cared for squeaky ball.

The hosts on Sports Hub could be better. Sometimes I shake my head. But what should I choose? Do I limit myself because they aren't as die-hard as me? No hockey talk or decent hockey talk? I'm first and foremost a hockey fan.

I see the point but I like Sox and Pats just as much, which is why I'm so committed to WEEI.

Merloni knows baseball better than anyone on either station and Holley is my favorite local radio guy.

sarge88 is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:56 PM
  #928
The Scarecrow
2011 Cup Champions
 
The Scarecrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fall River, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
I see the point but I like Sox and Pats just as much, which is why I'm so committed to WEEI.

Merloni knows baseball better than anyone on either station and Holley is my favorite local radio guy.
It's easy to understand. I don't care if anybody likes one station over the other.

I wonder how many here care more about the Bruins than the other sports. I would think a majority since a GDT reaches max frequently and the other sports' OT threads last months. I think this is your answer to why posters here blast EEI so much and find Sports Hub more favorable.

The Scarecrow is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 10:57 PM
  #929
sarge88
Registered User
 
sarge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
It's easy to understand. I don't care if anybody likes one station over the other.

I wonder how many here care more about the Bruins than the other sports. I would think a majority since a GDT reaches max frequently and the other sports' OT threads last months. I think this is your answer to why posters here blast EEI so much and find Sports Hub more favorable.
I agree, you're probably right on the mark about that.

sarge88 is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 11:01 PM
  #930
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,841
vCash: 500
I find it humorous that there's a solid handful of posts dissecting the political views of the various hosts on both stations.

Were talking about sports talk radio, right? Not NPR, WBZ, or any other news -based outlets? There's a reason this has entered the equation,and its not because of the sports hub.

Kate08 is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 11:07 PM
  #931
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
Could do worse than be compared to an entity that was the gold standard of an industry for 20 years and raised millions for cancer research.

But then again, 98.5 has Michael Felger.

I look forward to the day you can discuss the quality of WEEIs programming without bringing up their work with the Jimmy Fund. Yes, their commitment to charity work is admirable, and they have a stranglehold on the regions most notorious charity simply by virtue of being the oldest sports radio station in the region. I fail to see how the quality of their hosts and programming has anything at all to do with the fine work they've done with the Jimmy Fund.

The Red Sox were active with - hell, helped FOUND - the Jimmy Fund during their 86 years of futility. Are Sox fans supposed to forget that, too, because they were active in the community?

Kate08 is offline  
Old
09-23-2011, 11:12 PM
  #932
Hnidy Hnight
Registered User
 
Hnidy Hnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I look forward to the day you can discuss the quality of WEEIs programming without bringing up their work with the Jimmy Fund. Yes, their commitment to charity work is admirable, and they have a stranglehold on the regions most notorious charity simply by virtue of being the oldest sports radio station in the region. I fail to see how the quality of their hosts and programming has anything at all to do with the fine work they've done with the Jimmy Fund.

The Red Sox were active with - hell, helped FOUND - the Jimmy Fund during their 86 years of futility. Are Sox fans supposed to forget that, too, because they were active in the community?
Agree Kate. George Steinbrenner was one of the most giving owners to charity ever. Are we supposed to love the Yankees now?

Hnidy Hnight is offline  
Old
09-24-2011, 12:03 AM
  #933
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
Could do worse than be compared to an entity that was the gold standard of an industry for 20 years and raised millions for cancer research.

But then again, 98.5 has Michael Felger.

All of this is irrelevant to the point - WEEI treated hockey, the Bruins, and callers who wanted to talk about hockey with ridicule and utter comtempt. And now they're paying for it. Your attempts to rationalize all that away with such comments as "they raised millions for cancer research" and that hockey isn't interesting to discuss (on a HOCKEY board? ), not to mention calling a station with ZERO competition "the gold standard of an industry" are simply laughable.

WEEI is getting absolutely hammered in the ratings. Personally, I think they would have gotten hammered by a couple of intelligent teenagers talking sports, as long as those teens had a strong enough radio signal. As anyone who pays attention to this thread can tell you, I'm not a fan of Felger, nor of The Sports Hub. But WEEI was so ripe for the picking - lazy, cocky, fat and self-satisfied - that it didn't take much to knock them off their self-appointed pedestal. And it's been hilarious to watch.

Artemis is offline  
Old
09-24-2011, 06:38 AM
  #934
sarge88
Registered User
 
sarge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
All of this is irrelevant to the point - WEEI treated hockey, the Bruins, and callers who wanted to talk about hockey with ridicule and utter comtempt. And now they're paying for it. Your attempts to rationalize all that away with such comments as "they raised millions for cancer research" and that hockey isn't interesting to discuss (on a HOCKEY board? ), not to mention calling a station with ZERO competition "the gold standard of an industry" are simply laughable.

WEEI is getting absolutely hammered in the ratings. Personally, I think they would have gotten hammered by a couple of intelligent teenagers talking sports, as long as those teens had a strong enough radio signal. As anyone who pays attention to this thread can tell you, I'm not a fan of Felger, nor of The Sports Hub. But WEEI was so ripe for the picking - lazy, cocky, fat and self-satisfied - that it didn't take much to knock them off their self-appointed pedestal. And it's been hilarious to watch.
I'll simplify into bullet form;

1. While WEEI was alone in this market for a good amount of time, they were not the only sports radio staion in the country and they were the best there was for much of that time. There is a world beyond hockey and outside of Boston. If you fail to acknowledge that they were top of the heap nationally for a very long time, and deservedly so, then you're simply choosing to ignore the facts. Also, if you fully believe that lack of competition made WEEI fat, lazy and cocky, why would you want them to fail? Wouldn't that just be bad for the other guys since the chance that they'd fall into the same trap would increase?

2. Again, if you are hockey fan and only a hockey fan and you don't care about any of the other sports, I understand why you may not like WEEI. I tend to like several other sports equally and find that WEEI does an excellent job presenting them.

3. As I corrected a few posts back. I never meant to say discussing hockey wasn't interesting. I meant that the quality of hockey discussion on radio call in shows (especially when compared to what most of us are used to here) is low quality because the majority of the callers are relatively uninformed and most of the hosts are equally inept. I dare anyone who has any credibility here to dispute that. I'm kind of glad WEEI doesn't talk about it much because I tend to get frustrated by the stupidity of most of the comments, even when the person isn't trying to be a clown. Again and for the last time. I don't need hockey talk so badly on the radio that I'll settle for the garbage that is provided by either station here. If I want good, solid, hockey information and opinion, I come here or read the papers.

4. The money raising issue; To me there is something to be said for a company giving back to the community that has made them successful. It's really that simple. In the end what is the worth of a company? While I can't stand listening to most of the talent on the other station right now, if WEEI went off the air, I'd probably find myself tuning in to them from time to time. (Although not as much as I listen to WEEI now because I can't listen to Felger and Mazz for more than a minute or two at a time) And I almost guarantee that just about everyone bashing WEEI would do the same if 98.5 went off the air. So in the end how different are the two? If given the choice between two relatively equal products, I'd just choose the one that has proven to be more community orientated and has done more for charities that mean something to me. I'm not saying that anyone who doesn't listen to WEEI isn't charitable but when people here are chomping at the bit to see Ordway lose his job, after all the good he has done in the community, while pumping the tires of an equally obnoxious tool like Felger, I start to wonder about people's character. With that being said, while I obviously can't stand Felger's act, I know he has kids and he's probably a decent person, so why would I want to see him lose his job? (maybe that's just the mean conservative attitude that I have getting the best of me though)

5. The politics; I thought I made this point earlier. I don't care what your politics are or what the on air talent believes politically. The reason I brought it up is that several people who are anti WEEI throw in political jabs and insults, without anyone other than me calling them on it. As a conservative and a fan of WEEI, I take exception on both fronts, especially because I choose put the politics aside when it comes to choosing who I get my sports information from. Lastly on this, I always find it interesting that those who "champion diversity and inclusion", seem to make some of the meanest and most hurtful comments. Calling someone a racist, homophobe or sexist is really an awful thing to do, but sadly it has become accepted practice in this country, regardless of how inaccurate it may be.

I guess that's about all I can say about this issue and if some people can start being civil about it and avoid stalking with insults and jabs, I'll just leave it at that. But, then again if I'm forced to explain something again or stick up for my opinions and beliefs because of childish comments and attempts to bait me, I'll probably chime back in.

sarge88 is offline  
Old
09-24-2011, 07:04 AM
  #935
the overrated
wicked overrated
 
the overrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Suburbia
Country: United States
Posts: 4,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
3. As I corrected a few posts back. I never meant to say discussing hockey wasn't interesting. I meant that the quality of hockey discussion on radio call in shows (especially when compared to what most of us are used to here) is low quality because the majority of the callers are relatively uninformed and most of the hosts are equally inept. I dare anyone who has any credibility here to dispute that. I'm kind of glad WEEI doesn't talk about it much because I tend to get frustrated by the stupidity of most of the comments, even when the person isn't trying to be a clown. Again and for the last time. I don't need hockey talk so badly on the radio that I'll settle for the garbage that is provided by either station here. If I want good, solid, hockey information and opinion, I come here or read the papers.
Are you suggesting that football, basketball & baseball fans are better informed than hockey fans?

And IRT to your referencing the Jimmy Fund: If PETA starts donating money to a charity that I like, should I stop eating meat? If the WWF starts donating to my favorite charity, should I start watching pro wrestling? My point is: I'm not sure what they do for charity should impact how much someone likes or dislikes their product. It's great that they do that, but I don't see how it relates to people listening to the station day-in/day-out.

Full disclosure: Sports radio in general bores me. It's like reading message boards but without the opportunity to rebut other people and without the ability to ignore someone or change subjects. I'll tune in for the occasional interview, but just listening to callers or hosts opining? No interest. This thread is fun as hell to read, though.

the overrated is offline  
Old
09-24-2011, 07:14 AM
  #936
sarge88
Registered User
 
sarge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post
Are you suggesting that football, basketball & baseball fans are better informed than hockey fans?

And IRT to your referencing the Jimmy Fund: If PETA starts donating money to a charity that I like, should I stop eating meat? If the WWF starts donating to my favorite charity, should I start watching pro wrestling? My point is: I'm not sure what they do for charity should impact how much someone likes or dislikes their product. It's great that they do that, but I don't see how it relates to people listening to the station day-in/day-out.

Full disclosure: Sports radio in general bores me. It's like reading message boards but without the opportunity to rebut other people and without the ability to ignore someone or change subjects. I'll tune in for the occasional interview, but just listening to callers or hosts opining? No interest. This thread is fun as hell to read, though.
I am not saying that the fans of the other sports are better informed. I'm saying that on a percentage basis, the quality of baseball, football and basketball callers are more entertaining and informed than the hockey callers. Maybe I am saying that because I probably know hockey better than i do the other sports, so I'm more critical, who knows?

What I do know is that I've rarely heard a hockey call where the caller says something that I don't know or haven't considered, which happens all the time with other sports.

As for the money donating issue. I'm really not telling anyone to do anything. I'm just saying that for my money and time, if all things were equal (and they aren't to me because I don't enjoy 98.5's programming) I'd go with the company that gives more back to the community. For me this case just happens to be a slam dunk in favor of WEEI, because cancer research and the Jimmy Fund means a lot to me, my family and friends.

sarge88 is offline  
Old
09-24-2011, 08:53 AM
  #937
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
5. The politics; I thought I made this point earlier. I don't care what your politics are or what the on air talent believes politically. The reason I brought it up is that several people who are anti WEEI throw in political jabs and insults, without anyone other than me calling them on it. As a conservative and a fan of WEEI, I take exception on both fronts, especially because I choose put the politics aside when it comes to choosing who I get my sports information from. Lastly on this, I always find it interesting that those who "champion diversity and inclusion", seem to make some of the meanest and most hurtful comments. Calling someone a racist, homophobe or sexist is really an awful thing to do, but sadly it has become accepted practice in this country, regardless of how inaccurate it may be.
I tend to be more conservative than the average but if you are a true, right wing type conservative then I can see why D&C is the spot for you.

But truth be told Callahan, especially, is a racist, sexist, homophobe. If the truth is an awful thing to say than I am awful. The guy is a smug, conceited jerk who not only embodies EVERYTHING that is wrong with politics in general today but is a guy who laughed at not only the Bruins but more importantly their fans who still held interest in them.

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
09-24-2011, 08:59 AM
  #938
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,833
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I will never listen to WEEI again. Call it blind homerism of whatever, they way they treated Bruins fans is not forgotten by me.

I hope they fail miserably.


I am conservative, but I dont really like any political radio. T&R expressed their political views waaay more on BCN (annoying) than on the Sports Hub. If it was liberal banter, I would probably tune out. But there isnt really any political talk which is fine by me. If I wanted that I would tune into RKO.

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
09-24-2011, 09:14 AM
  #939
sarge88
Registered User
 
sarge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I tend to be more conservative than the average but if you are a true, right wing type conservative then I can see why D&C is the spot for you.

But truth be told Callahan, especially, is a racist, sexist, homophobe. If the truth is an awful thing to say than I am awful. The guy is a smug, conceited jerk who not only embodies EVERYTHING that is wrong with politics in general today but is a guy who laughed at not only the Bruins but more importantly their fans who still held interest in them.
I'd never try to convince you otherwise because it's clear that you believe that and have your reasons. And truth be told, Callahan can be a jerk but no more than some others in the sports media today.

I disagree with your assessment of him and even though I know he can be over the top about some issues, I'd never label him the way you are.

But again, this is less about the actual ideals and beliefs of the talent and more about people getting away with throwing labels around in order to justify their choices.

It's really not fair to call someone those things unless you know for sure. Reasonably speaking, given the way the PC crowd goes overboard today, if someone were absolutely;

racist,
sexist
and/or
homophobic

How exactly do they last 15 years on the air? People have lost their jobs for much less than you are saying about him. It isn't the truth, it's your opinion. One in which you're obviously entitled.

But, it's just as unfair for you to say that as it would be for me to call any liberal talk show host, a pro-infantcide extremist, because of their stance on abortion. I'm as conservative as they come about most issues but I'm also pro-abortion.

It's too extreme and unfair, especially when neither of us knows them personally.

Lastly, we've interacted here for years and I have nothing but respect for you and your opinions and this doesn't change that at all, because most of us here are adults and can agree to disagree, like you and I can in this case.

But since it seems that because I'm the only one here taking the stance that I am, it kind of makes me look like I'm trying to be argumentative with "everybody", when the fact is that I'm just tired of feeling the need to justify much of my belief system over and over again because of baiting and trolling. (not that you are doing either)

sarge88 is offline  
Old
09-24-2011, 09:55 AM
  #940
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
I'd never try to convince you otherwise because it's clear that you believe that and have your reasons. And truth be told, Callahan can be a jerk but no more than some others in the sports media today.

I disagree with your assessment of him and even though I know he can be over the top about some issues, I'd never label him the way you are.

But again, this is less about the actual ideals and beliefs of the talent and more about people getting away with throwing labels around in order to justify their choices.

It's really not fair to call someone those things unless you know for sure. Reasonably speaking, given the way the PC crowd goes overboard today, if someone were absolutely;

racist,
sexist
and/or
homophobic

How exactly do they last 15 years on the air? People have lost their jobs for much less than you are saying about him. It isn't the truth, it's your opinion. One in which you're obviously entitled.

But, it's just as unfair for you to say that as it would be for me to call any liberal talk show host, a pro-infantcide extremist, because of their stance on abortion. I'm as conservative as they come about most issues but I'm also pro-abortion.

It's too extreme and unfair, especially when neither of us knows them personally.

Lastly, we've interacted here for years and I have nothing but respect for you and your opinions and this doesn't change that at all, because most of us here are adults and can agree to disagree, like you and I can in this case.

But since it seems that because I'm the only one here taking the stance that I am, it kind of makes me look like I'm trying to be argumentative with "everybody", when the fact is that I'm just tired of feeling the need to justify much of my belief system over and over again because of baiting and trolling. (not that you are doing either)
I don't want to get into this and belabor the point any further than it already is. You obviously like the product WEEI puts out, and that's cool. It's not my cup of tea, but it's a matter of personal taste.

The one thing I do want to ask you is this: the fan who threw a banana at Wayne Simmonds the other night, is he (or she) a racist? Simple yes or no and why is all I'm curious about.

LSCII is online now  
Old
09-24-2011, 10:11 AM
  #941
Bridges31
Goon? Lol
 
Bridges31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 11,658
vCash: 500
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post37031601

This thread is getting close to 1,000 posts so I'm locking it down before I forget to. Continue at the link above.

Bridges31 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.