HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason #1: Islanders @ Bruins 9/23 7:00 PM

Old
09-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Best Islanders tonight for me was Marcinko. Surprised he stayed in N. America and equally surprised he doesn't have better numbers in the AHL.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:49 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Best Islanders tonight for me was Marcinko. Surprised he stayed in N. America and equally surprised he doesn't have better numbers in the AHL.
Also Staios.....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:55 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

In a game where Calvin should look relatively better than his competition, he manages to fit right in. Also, is he just afraid to wind up and shoot, or is he just a big sissy?

No shot at the NHL this year.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:55 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Also Staios.....
I was very impressed with Staios as well

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Mr Islander

I wonder if Nino will be paired up with JT tomorrow

Mr Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:17 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 740
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Islander View Post
I wonder if Nino will be paired up with JT tomorrow
I'd be suprised if he didn't.

Also, I hope Mottau doesn't think he has the 6th defensive spot is locked up. If Staios keeps this play up, he'll make the team. Mottau didn't look great out there tonight. This is probably the biggest battle in camp right now.

islesfan3991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:22 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
In a game where Calvin should look relatively better than his competition, he manages to fit right in. Also, is he just afraid to wind up and shoot, or is he just a big sissy?

Relax. One preseason game isn't the be-all-end-all.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Renbarg

Quote:

He's not afraid and he's not a sissy. He's just shooting at sticks and lanes. Maybe a bit too much right now, but he's still young.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFWANG View Post
does de haan not have a slapshot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Is it just me or does DeHaan shoot really weird? Or are these not shots but rather him looking for deflections or something?
Quote:

For what it's worth, de Haan has never been a shooter. It's why even before he was drafted, I kept making the Tomas Kaberle comparison, in terms of being a pass first type player.

Like Kaberle, de Haan does have a pretty hard shot. But like Kaberle, he prefers to either pass, or to loft shots toward the net for tips/deflections, rather than wind up and fire.

If you don't like the way Kaberle plays, you might not ever be fond of de Haan's game. But if you're a fan of Kaberle's game, or a game that relies more on positioning and passing than power and shooting, then he'll be fine once he gets adjusted to the pro game.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Bauer Warrior*

It's a pre-season game. Nothing to get crazy about. I couldn't see it, because it was blacked out here. But preseason means more to certain individuals who are fighting for jobs rather than it does to the team as a whole.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:22 AM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

I think DeHaan should start the year in AHL and let Staios have the last D spot. I mean its early still but I just feel like DeHaan could use a little more seasoning before making the big jump to the NHL. PA looked how he should look with out a star player putting passes right on his tape. Can't wait for the next game to see what the real team can do

bigtim1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 01:14 AM
leaponover

I brought this up about deHaan in several other threads and i'm glad some people are catching on. deHaan is one of those defenseman that isn't concerned about a hard shot (even though i've seen it) but more concerned about getting the puck to the net like so many other defenseman CAN'T do. It's great to have someone with that particular skill and last training camp and preseason he showed he could do it well. It's almost like having a player with one particular special skill like DP's puck handling and that knack Parrish had for deflections. I really want to see him in the bigs this year and if he doesn't make it hope he'll be the first call up. I don't know why Mottau is being penciled in for a roster spot at all according to some people.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 01:27 AM
islesfan3991

vCash: 740
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I brought this up about deHaan in several other threads and i'm glad some people are catching on. deHaan is one of those defenseman that isn't concerned about a hard shot (even though i've seen it) but more concerned about getting the puck to the net like so many other defenseman CAN'T do. It's great to have someone with that particular skill and last training camp and preseason he showed he could do it well. It's almost like having a player with one particular special skill like DP's puck handling and that knack Parrish had for deflections. I really want to see him in the bigs this year and if he doesn't make it hope he'll be the first call up. I don't know why Mottau is being penciled in for a roster spot at all according to some people.
There's something about him that I like a lot. I don't know exactly what it is though. He seems like a guy that can play a very physical game but at the same time help a lot of offense. I think we will defiantly see de Haan this season. He can't be held back too long. He looks like he'll be a nice NHL player in the coming years.

islesfan3991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 01:57 AM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

how was pandolfo?

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Islanders1932

I gotta say, I was following DeHaan a lot last night and I thought he looked great.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
For what it's worth, de Haan has never been a shooter. It's why even before he was drafted, I kept making the Tomas Kaberle comparison, in terms of being a pass first type player.

Like Kaberle, de Haan does have a pretty hard shot. But like Kaberle, he prefers to either pass, or to loft shots toward the net for tips/deflections, rather than wind up and fire.

If you don't like the way Kaberle plays, you might not ever be fond of de Haan's game. But if you're a fan of Kaberle's game, or a game that relies more on positioning and passing than power and shooting, then he'll be fine once he gets adjusted to the pro game.
DeHaan's shot is a laser beam wrist shot. I've never seen him use a slapper (this being preseason/camps/and WJC/Juniro games I was able to catch online and ****). The wrists shot works best in stride playing a trigger position. It also requires there to be a lane to shoot through. Fans always complain about QB d-men not shooting so its almost just white noise complaints for me.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
how was pandolfo?
Played well. Forechecked hard, finished his checks, played like a veteran with a chip on hsi shoulder. He set up Reese on teh first goal IIRC and looked like he could be a good bottom sixer for an NHL squad looking for a resposinble grinder.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:20 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
DeHaan's shot is a laser beam wrist shot. I've never seen him use a slapper (this being preseason/camps/and WJC/Juniro games I was able to catch online and ****). The wrists shot works best in stride playing a trigger position. It also requires there to be a lane to shoot through. Fans always complain about QB d-men not shooting so its almost just white noise complaints for me.
Denis Potvin was the best at those wristers from the point...he did it all the time. It worked really well, especially when you have a team that's not afraid to go to the net for the ugly goals (like that whole dynasty team was)

In today's game, I wish more dmen would do that, get the puck to the net without the big slapshot that often goes wide, gets blocked or simply gobbled up by the goalie.

I really expect deHaan to make the team out of camp and although I'm almost always in favour of a player being sent to the AHL, deHaan might be an exception.

He's not physical...he added physical play over the past two seasons. I'm sure Cairns had him work on that - plus he's gotten MUCH bigger and stronger over the past two years. I like that he's added that element but frankly, he won't be a physical NHL player. He's exactly like Kaberle in so many ways. But I'd hope deHaan is a bit more intense and would compete harder than Kabby.

I don't expect him to be a big scorer, but that first pass out of the zone, carrying the puck, that's what I think he brings to the team - much like Streit. I always thought he reminded me of Jeff Norton.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:28 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
Well I think it's safe to say we can count on Reese to score anywhere from 80-100 goals this season...so we have that going for us...which is nice.

Just awesome.

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:35 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Wishart FAIL
What did he do?

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote