HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PS #2 - 09.23.2011 | New York Rangers @ New Jersey Devils | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
09-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. I was at the game yesterday, so I could see little things that you miss on TV. Unless he has the puck, he is an utterly useless hockey player. There was a whole shift (about a minute), where the Rangers were cycling in the offensive zone and Kovalchuk just stood at the half boards and didn't move.

Larsson is a stud, though. I was amazed how calm he looks with the puck. He is prone to the occasional rookie mistake, but that is to be expected for an 18 year old.

Marty is getting old. Time to hang em up guy.
I was at the game as well. I was behind Biron Brodeur and Johnson. Brodeur is looking very tired and... well old. Kovalchuk wouldnt shoot and only took 2 or 3 good shots. If DeBoer's gonna make them so offensive they better be able to match how many goals everyone will score against them.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I really think Marty is going to hold the Devils back for atleast this year, hopefully more. They can't just tell him no if he wants to play, and you can see the obvious decline. Has to try and fight off everything now. Not gonna be a good year for him.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Levitate

Eh, I'm not ready to call Brodeur completely done or anything. Again, he has started slow and looked old and crappy to start seasons before. He generally plays himself into shape.

But...I just don't think he's going to be the same old Brodeur anymore. For so long he was consistently great year after year, but I think we'll be seeing a lot more of "Brodeur the average starting goalie" and a lot less of "Brodeur the hall of famer"

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:04 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Larsson is a stud. Plain and simple. What you saw in two preseason games is just a taste. Devils really lucked out with him. Stop trying to detract because he's a Devil.

Sadly for them, he doesnt play goal.

I really dont care about the preseason. I never did, unless there were rookies with legitimate shots at making the team.

All I look for are the rookies to seem comfortable and for guys with past injuries to look healed.

Rangers and devils lineups are pretty much set for Opening Night. At least for the guys who matter.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:22 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
MSG is going to televise the European preseason games, right?

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. I was at the game yesterday, so I could see little things that you miss on TV. Unless he has the puck, he is an utterly useless hockey player. There was a whole shift (about a minute), where the Rangers were cycling in the offensive zone and Kovalchuk just stood at the half boards and didn't move.

Larsson is a stud, though. I was amazed how calm he looks with the puck. He is prone to the occasional rookie mistake, but that is to be expected for an 18 year old.

Marty is getting old. Time to hang em up guy.
Same, and in the last 2 minutes Richard completely shut him down

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Kovalchuk is a great offensive player, though not one I"d want to build my team around long term. IMO the Devils would be better off running out Parise as their go to top left wing, but that's just me

Gaborik is similar in that I wouldn't want to build my team around him, and that's why the Rangers really needed a first line center. The Devils don't really have that top flight first line center though, which makes Parise all the more important IMO.

But given a choice I'd take Kovalchuk on my team more often than not if I had the other pieces in place. I just don't quite think he's a franchise type guy that you get out of someone like Crosby, or even Ovechkin
You're 100% right, he's not nearly a franchise type guy in the mold of a Crosby, Ovechkin and many other players as well. He is light years ahead of Gaborik though.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Except for the first one, apparently. On the Rangers schedule, it lists MSG as televising all of them except the game against HC Sparta this Thursday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
You're 100% right, he's not nearly a franchise type guy in the mold of a Crosby, Ovechkin and many other players as well. He is light years ahead of Gaborik though.
I don't think he's light years ahead. He's a bit more consistent and stays healthy, but they both slot into that general star goal scorer area below the franchise guys. In a real well setup team, I think I actually might like what Gaborik brings a little more, because theoretically Gaborik will defer carrying the puck and work more on getting into spaces and making passes, while Kovalchuk wants the puck all the time and doesn't do a lot without it. Dunno if that makes a lot of sense...maybe I"m just a bit biased against Kovalchuk as well, but I think Gaborik can fit into a team or a line that's well built a little bit better than Kovalchuk, who is maybe more of an independent player

Old
09-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Hope so, but I'm gonna miss the Kings game. Why would they play it at 1PM EST on a Friday??? I know it's @7 for the people in Sweden, but how about some thought for the fans in NY, and LA

Old
09-24-2011, 12:30 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Hah, I would normally miss that game as well, but I'mma play a little hooky that day. It's a Friday, too.

Old
09-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
Hope so, but I'm gonna miss the Kings game. Why would they play it at 1PM EST on a Friday??? I know it's @7 for the people in Sweden, but how about some thought for the fans in NY, and LA
Cuz if they wanted to play in the evening east coast time it'd be like 3 in the morning in Sweden. Just not gonna happen.

And I"m going to be in Hawaii and waking up and watching at like 7am

Old
09-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Hah, I would normally miss that game as well, but I'mma play a little hooky that day. It's a Friday, too.
If only it was next week, where I have off on Friday. My mom isn't gonna let me skip, even if I'm sick. Maybe I'll get sick in school, where she can't do anything once I'm home.

Old
09-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Cuz if they wanted to play in the evening east coast time it'd be like 3 in the morning in Sweden. Just not gonna happen.

Why not play the games Saturday, and Sunday. I'm raging right now

Old
09-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Should've done this. I have to leave school early that Friday now.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 01:47 PM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Welcome to our world. (europeans watcing Rangers in nigt time )

Even on a saturday or sunday, they can`t play a game at 3 nighttime. That would have left the building empty with 13k unsold seats.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 02:19 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
If Deboer wants to play an uptempo, forechecking, attack first style, he should tell Lou to sign a better goalie.

Brodeur will be exposed this year more then ever. Rookie defenseman, lack of an overall defensive structure
This is what puzzles me. I suppose it's a transition period but being built to take advantage of Brodeurs skill and built to take advantage of Kovalchuks skill are two opposite directions.

Having committed to Kovy for life the logical move would be to trade Brodeur NOW for complimentary players to Kovalchuks type of game.

09-24-2011, 02:24 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/86...the-collection

Bunch of Richards and Callahan "C" pics in case anyone wants to use them.

Old
09-24-2011, 02:25 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
was anyone at the game and sitting near 122 last night? the devils apparently have a supporters section that stands and cheers and blows air horns all game.. annoying

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Rangers1135

Quote:
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/86...the-collection

Bunch of Richards and Callahan "C" pics in case anyone wants to use them.

On picture #34, someone is wearing the fake WC jersey.

Rangers1135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Pugs35

Quote:

Ugh, was planning on watching DVR style via Gamecenter, but just saw that both games are on Versus, thus I'm screwed.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
This is what puzzles me. I suppose it's a transition period but being built to take advantage of Brodeurs skill and built to take advantage of Kovalchuks skill are two opposite directions.

Having committed to Kovy for life the logical move would be to trade Brodeur NOW for complimentary players to Kovalchuks type of game.
Contrary to popular belief, organizations do owe something to their longtime players. It was a farce when the Rangers traded Brian Leetch, and it would be the same if the Devils trade Marty Brodeur.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 03:39 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
was anyone at the game and sitting near 122 last night? the devils apparently have a supporters section that stands and cheers and blows air horns all game.. annoying
Yeah, started off as an idea on the Devils board and it grew into a whole season thing this year. I can't see something like this lasting 41 games especially during dead games against Ottawa and such.

Was sitting in 230 but snuck down to 15 after the 1st. Was a section away from Larry. Hearing his song play and him dancing at the Rock had to be one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 03:39 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
Contrary to popular belief, organizations do owe something to their longtime players. It was a farce when the Rangers traded Brian Leetch, and it would be the same if the Devils trade Marty Brodeur.
well brodeur did hint that if the devils are rebuilding he'd rather finish his career somewhere else so it might be a mutual parting if it happens.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Okay, i'm very respectful of Brodeur, and everything he has achieved, but he is 39 years old, and coming off a, frankly, piss poor season.

Why does everyone expect him to bounce back and be an above average goaltender? I'm not ruling it out as a possibility, and I think the Devils have a pretty dangerous club moving forward, but I think we have seen the best from Brodeur. I'm not expecting anything great this season from him that would make him a big acquisition for a playoff team. The Caps have Vokoun, Flyers have Bryz, ect.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Swedish Fish
CONQUERED

Just a small note, looks like Gabby is using a Warrior stick now instead of Easton

Swedish Fish is online now   Reply With Quote