HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Long term status of Fleury

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Ogopogo*

vCash: 500
Long term status of Fleury

Is Fleury going back down to the farm when Thibault is back?

Old
10-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Jacob

He'll get at least one more start before then and I think they'll evaluate that performance and take it into consideration.

My guess is Fleury is on the outside looking in for the job as the #2 goaltender, and at least at this point I think Fleury will go back to Wilkes-Barre and Caron will get a longer look at the NHL level before being pushed through waivers.

The revolving door of goaltenders won't end anytime soon and my guess is Fleury will have several more opportunities in the NHL before the season ends. The big thing though is they want to get him a lot of starts early on and the only place to guarantee that is the AHL.

Old
10-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Til the End of Time

I think Fleury could be an NHL starter at this point in his career if he was playing on a solid defensive team.

However that's not the case here, so he should go back to WBS once Thibault is healthy.

Old
10-13-2005, 03:48 PM
dePENSonFleury

We all know that goaltenders and QBs have a lot in common. They both need to sit for a few years behind a mentor and learn the pro game before being thrown to the wolves. Steelers fans can testify to this!

No, seriously, if Fluery can get the job done, I hope they go with him. So far he has been the most fun to watch of the three. To me, what he appears to lack is consistency from night to night. I am not sure he is improving that in WBS. If he is as good as I hope, he could be uninspired with playing in the AHL, which could help explain his inconsistency last year.

We better use him before he costs more than we can afford. In a few years Malkin Crosby and Fleury may be hard to fit under the cap.

Old
10-13-2005, 04:00 PM
damoose212001

Send a message via AIM to damoose212001
Fleury should definatley get a look at, but more starts and more attention from the goalie coach and such would be good. As seen last game, a couple hit the post, so them could easily be goals next time around, which means maybe a little work on the angles and anticipation part can be worked on, and that'll come from alot of starts, so i'd say WBS until he gets all the little odds and ends like that worked out.

Old
10-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Lionel Hutz

There is no benefit to him being #2. Therefore he will go back to the A when Thibault is healthy.

The reason they acquired Thibault was so Fleury coudl tak his time and develop in the A.

That being said, so far, and IMO at this point:

Fleury >>> Caron or Thibault

Old
10-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Jacob

But if Fleury is legitimately good enough to share duties with Thibault that may be best for him.

And if we run into a period where Thibault is really carrying the team or Fleury is getting cold, we can just send Fleury to the AHL for a weekend or so to get some starts in.

This is something that would have to be evaluated on a week-by-week basis, but it could work.

Old
10-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Lionel Hutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
But if Fleury is legitimately good enough to share duties with Thibault that may be best for him.

And if we run into a period where Thibault is really carrying the team or Fleury is getting cold, we can just send Fleury to the AHL for a weekend or so to get some starts in.

This is something that would have to be evaluated on a week-by-week basis, but it could work.
Fair enough. I think having Thibault gives the Pens options. If they hadn't signed him, Fleury would have to be in the NHL right now, that is the only way this situation could be flat out bad.

Old
10-13-2005, 05:02 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
I think Fleury could be an NHL starter at this point in his career if he was playing on a solid defensive team.

However that's not the case here, so he should go back to WBS once Thibault is healthy.
Agreed.

Old
10-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Slabber Chops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
Is Fleury going back down to the farm when Thibault is back?
Yup, sure is. The way I look at it is quite simply this. The guy's in wicked form at present, right? So why have an in form young goalie who is developing well either sitting on a bench with no games for two or three weeks or being shelled with 40 shots a game by a rubbish defensive team?

I must say that I'm changing my tune but I think we should be looking to next year at the earliest for genuine results with this franchise with Crosby being a bit older and wiser; Malkin over; Welch, Whitney, and Fleury truly NHL-ready.

Quite simply, the majority of Fleury's development is complete. Why jeopardise future successes for the possibility of a short term minor achievement?

Old
10-13-2005, 08:17 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabber Chops
Yup, sure is. The way I look at it is quite simply this. The guy's in wicked form at present, right? So why have an in form young goalie who is developing well either sitting on a bench with no games for two or three weeks or being shelled with 40 shots a game by a rubbish defensive team?

I must say that I'm changing my tune but I think we should be looking to next year at the earliest for genuine results with this franchise with Crosby being a bit older and wiser; Malkin over; Welch, Whitney, and Fleury truly NHL-ready.

Quite simply, the majority of Fleury's development is complete. Why jeopardise future successes for the possibility of a short term minor achievement?
Do you know who is in goal tomorrow against the Flyers?

Old
10-14-2005, 08:48 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Edzo says how two years made a big difference...so anything can happen if he plays well

Fleury still in Pens plans

Old
10-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Firefighter Havok

Send a message via AIM to Firefighter Havok Send a message via MSN to Firefighter Havok
Is it me, or is Fleury saying he doesn't want to go back to the AHL a lot in the press lately? I think if we send him back down, it will shake his confidence, and he'll revert back to his post IIHF Junior World Championship days. He'll play like crap, let everything in, and get shelled in WBS. I'm sorry he's a headcase, and we need to be careful with him, before he decides he doesn't want to play for the Pens anymore and goes via free agency when he's eligible.

Old
10-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Jacob

I wouldn't want anybody that fragile to be between our pipes anyway.

Old
10-14-2005, 10:33 PM
clefty
Crazy in the Coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf-Superbeast
Is it me, or is Fleury saying he doesn't want to go back to the AHL a lot in the press lately? I think if we send him back down, it will shake his confidence, and he'll revert back to his post IIHF Junior World Championship days. He'll play like crap, let everything in, and get shelled in WBS. I'm sorry he's a headcase, and we need to be careful with him, before he decides he doesn't want to play for the Pens anymore and goes via free agency when he's eligible.
I think you're off base. Fleury's not a 10 year old child bursting into tears, you know.

Old
10-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Jag68Sid87

Yeah, I agree with Jacob. Fleury will be fine. He's just ultra-competitive and that needs to be channeled properly.

Let's see how Caron responds Saturday against TB. If he steps up, then I think Fleury should be the guy sent down (even though I've been saying the opposite all along).

However, if Caron cannot handle the second night start again, like he did last weekend (Carolina/Boston), then all bets are off.

Perhaps it might not be a terrible idea to send down a defenseman when Thibault is ready to come back.

Old
10-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
I think the pens will send Fleury down regardless of the way he plays. If it was up to me, I'd let Fleury start against tampa, and see how he does before the activate Tbo. I agree that Fleury is w/o a doubt our best goalie but we can't afford to let him play behind such a pathetic "defense", if thats what you want to call it.

Old
10-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Skk82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
Perhaps it might not be a terrible idea to send down a defenseman when Thibault is ready to come back.
no way. carrying three goalies in the NHL is a horrible idea and one that doesn't work. there's the obvious fact that playing time is further diminished from guys that need it-- thibault, since he's played 14 NHL games since 2002 plus fleury and caron's progression. but even in practice where atleast one guy would be idle at all times and not between the net.

three goalies isn't and shouldn't be an option. after seeing tonight's game, maybe fleury would be better served developmentally by starting 50-60 games in wilkes-barre anyways.

Closed Thread