HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Long term status of Fleury

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2005, 03:01 PM
  #1
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,216
vCash: 500
Long term status of Fleury

Is Fleury going back down to the farm when Thibault is back?

Ogopogo* is offline  
Old
10-13-2005, 03:03 PM
  #2
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,056
vCash: 500
He'll get at least one more start before then and I think they'll evaluate that performance and take it into consideration.

My guess is Fleury is on the outside looking in for the job as the #2 goaltender, and at least at this point I think Fleury will go back to Wilkes-Barre and Caron will get a longer look at the NHL level before being pushed through waivers.

The revolving door of goaltenders won't end anytime soon and my guess is Fleury will have several more opportunities in the NHL before the season ends. The big thing though is they want to get him a lot of starts early on and the only place to guarantee that is the AHL.

Jacob is offline  
Old
10-13-2005, 03:40 PM
  #3
Til the End of Time
Registered User
 
Til the End of Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,849
vCash: 500
I think Fleury could be an NHL starter at this point in his career if he was playing on a solid defensive team.

However that's not the case here, so he should go back to WBS once Thibault is healthy.

Til the End of Time is offline  
Old
10-13-2005, 03:48 PM
  #4
dePENSonFleury
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
We all know that goaltenders and QBs have a lot in common. They both need to sit for a few years behind a mentor and learn the pro game before being thrown to the wolves. Steelers fans can testify to this!

No, seriously, if Fluery can get the job done, I hope they go with him. So far he has been the most fun to watch of the three. To me, what he appears to lack is consistency from night to night. I am not sure he is improving that in WBS. If he is as good as I hope, he could be uninspired with playing in the AHL, which could help explain his inconsistency last year.

We better use him before he costs more than we can afford. In a few years Malkin Crosby and Fleury may be hard to fit under the cap.

dePENSonFleury is offline  
Old
10-13-2005, 04:00 PM
  #5
damoose212001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to damoose212001
Fleury should definatley get a look at, but more starts and more attention from the goalie coach and such would be good. As seen last game, a couple hit the post, so them could easily be goals next time around, which means maybe a little work on the angles and anticipation part can be worked on, and that'll come from alot of starts, so i'd say WBS until he gets all the little odds and ends like that worked out.

damoose212001 is offline  
Old
10-13-2005, 04:04 PM
  #6
Lionel Hutz
Registered User
 
Lionel Hutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Locking the Lounge??
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,980
vCash: 500
There is no benefit to him being #2. Therefore he will go back to the A when Thibault is healthy.

The reason they acquired Thibault was so Fleury coudl tak his time and develop in the A.

That being said, so far, and IMO at this point:

Fleury >>> Caron or Thibault

Lionel Hutz is offline  
Old
10-13-2005, 04:33 PM
  #7
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,056
vCash: 500
But if Fleury is legitimately good enough to share duties with Thibault that may be best for him.

And if we run into a period where Thibault is really carrying the team or Fleury is getting cold, we can just send Fleury to the AHL for a weekend or so to get some starts in.

This is something that would have to be evaluated on a week-by-week basis, but it could work.

Jacob is offline  
Old
10-13-2005, 04:39 PM
  #8
Lionel Hutz
Registered User
 
Lionel Hutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Locking the Lounge??
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
But if Fleury is legitimately good enough to share duties with Thibault that may be best for him.

And if we run into a period where Thibault is really carrying the team or Fleury is getting cold, we can just send Fleury to the AHL for a weekend or so to get some starts in.

This is something that would have to be evaluated on a week-by-week basis, but it could work.
Fair enough. I think having Thibault gives the Pens options. If they hadn't signed him, Fleury would have to be in the NHL right now, that is the only way this situation could be flat out bad.

Lionel Hutz is offline  
Old
10-13-2005, 05:02 PM
  #9
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
I think Fleury could be an NHL starter at this point in his career if he was playing on a solid defensive team.

However that's not the case here, so he should go back to WBS once Thibault is healthy.
Agreed.

td_ice is offline  
Old
10-13-2005, 07:20 PM
  #10
Slabber Chops
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand-Maori
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
Is Fleury going back down to the farm when Thibault is back?
Yup, sure is. The way I look at it is quite simply this. The guy's in wicked form at present, right? So why have an in form young goalie who is developing well either sitting on a bench with no games for two or three weeks or being shelled with 40 shots a game by a rubbish defensive team?

I must say that I'm changing my tune but I think we should be looking to next year at the earliest for genuine results with this franchise with Crosby being a bit older and wiser; Malkin over; Welch, Whitney, and Fleury truly NHL-ready.

Quite simply, the majority of Fleury's development is complete. Why jeopardise future successes for the possibility of a short term minor achievement?

Slabber Chops is offline  
Old
10-13-2005, 08:17 PM
  #11
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabber Chops
Yup, sure is. The way I look at it is quite simply this. The guy's in wicked form at present, right? So why have an in form young goalie who is developing well either sitting on a bench with no games for two or three weeks or being shelled with 40 shots a game by a rubbish defensive team?

I must say that I'm changing my tune but I think we should be looking to next year at the earliest for genuine results with this franchise with Crosby being a bit older and wiser; Malkin over; Welch, Whitney, and Fleury truly NHL-ready.

Quite simply, the majority of Fleury's development is complete. Why jeopardise future successes for the possibility of a short term minor achievement?
Do you know who is in goal tomorrow against the Flyers?

jb** is offline  
Old
10-14-2005, 08:48 AM
  #12
OnMyOwn
Extremist
 
OnMyOwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
Edzo says how two years made a big difference...so anything can happen if he plays well

Fleury still in Pens plans

OnMyOwn is offline  
Old
10-14-2005, 10:10 PM
  #13
Firefighter Havok
Registered User
 
Firefighter Havok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Firefighter Havok Send a message via MSN to Firefighter Havok
Is it me, or is Fleury saying he doesn't want to go back to the AHL a lot in the press lately? I think if we send him back down, it will shake his confidence, and he'll revert back to his post IIHF Junior World Championship days. He'll play like crap, let everything in, and get shelled in WBS. I'm sorry he's a headcase, and we need to be careful with him, before he decides he doesn't want to play for the Pens anymore and goes via free agency when he's eligible.

Firefighter Havok is offline  
Old
10-14-2005, 10:28 PM
  #14
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,056
vCash: 500
I wouldn't want anybody that fragile to be between our pipes anyway.

Jacob is offline  
Old
10-14-2005, 10:33 PM
  #15
clefty
Crazy in the Coconut
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 14,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf-Superbeast
Is it me, or is Fleury saying he doesn't want to go back to the AHL a lot in the press lately? I think if we send him back down, it will shake his confidence, and he'll revert back to his post IIHF Junior World Championship days. He'll play like crap, let everything in, and get shelled in WBS. I'm sorry he's a headcase, and we need to be careful with him, before he decides he doesn't want to play for the Pens anymore and goes via free agency when he's eligible.
I think you're off base. Fleury's not a 10 year old child bursting into tears, you know.

clefty is offline  
Old
10-14-2005, 10:33 PM
  #16
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 26,897
vCash: 500
Yeah, I agree with Jacob. Fleury will be fine. He's just ultra-competitive and that needs to be channeled properly.

Let's see how Caron responds Saturday against TB. If he steps up, then I think Fleury should be the guy sent down (even though I've been saying the opposite all along).

However, if Caron cannot handle the second night start again, like he did last weekend (Carolina/Boston), then all bets are off.

Perhaps it might not be a terrible idea to send down a defenseman when Thibault is ready to come back.

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
10-14-2005, 10:38 PM
  #17
Ziggyjoe21
Registered User
 
Ziggyjoe21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pitt
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,214
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
I think the pens will send Fleury down regardless of the way he plays. If it was up to me, I'd let Fleury start against tampa, and see how he does before the activate Tbo. I agree that Fleury is w/o a doubt our best goalie but we can't afford to let him play behind such a pathetic "defense", if thats what you want to call it.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline  
Old
10-14-2005, 10:42 PM
  #18
Skk82
Registered User
 
Skk82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
Perhaps it might not be a terrible idea to send down a defenseman when Thibault is ready to come back.
no way. carrying three goalies in the NHL is a horrible idea and one that doesn't work. there's the obvious fact that playing time is further diminished from guys that need it-- thibault, since he's played 14 NHL games since 2002 plus fleury and caron's progression. but even in practice where atleast one guy would be idle at all times and not between the net.

three goalies isn't and shouldn't be an option. after seeing tonight's game, maybe fleury would be better served developmentally by starting 50-60 games in wilkes-barre anyways.

Skk82 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.