HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Jamie Benn's Next Contract

Old
09-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Sony Eriksson*

vCash: 500
Tavares looks like he is getting $5.5 per year.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
Tavares looks like he is getting $5.5 per year.
Yes:

Quote:
Myers and Tavares close to long-term extensions (approx. 6 years, $5.5M per)
I hope the don't will be so overpaid like Myers & Tavares.

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
Yes:

I hope the don't will be so overpaid like Myers & Tavares.
I can see Tavares contract dictating what Benn gets.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:51 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

That's great news, let's hope we get Gogo and Benn signed soon.

MB94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 01:03 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
I can see Tavares contract dictating what Benn gets.
I can't. Tavares is a former #1 overall pick and the clear-cut pillar of the Islanders' franchise. They have to search hard to find places to spend money anyway, it's only natural that Tavares will skip the traditional second contract despite not putting up the numbers of a Stamkos, for example. They can't afford to alienate him in any way or let the opportunity of an offer-sheet come to pass.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Canucker

I went down to the Frisco Star Center to get my skates sharpened this morning and got to watch the Stars practice and Benn was really sharp, he's really a fun player to watch. With Richards gone, Benn is gonna have to step up and he certainly looked like he's going to be "the guy" this season.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 11:09 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

I'm cross-posting between topics, deal with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhicksnightmare View Post
The Stars get more national media coverage than they have since 2000 here with these two snippets from LeBrun about us moving out of the Pacific and Jamie Benn garnering a contract somewhere between Tavares' deal and Couture's deal.
So... Benn could either get a short-term contract for a little money, or a long-term contract for a lot of money. That clears things up.

Old
09-23-2011, 02:08 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I can't. Tavares is a former #1 overall pick and the clear-cut pillar of the Islanders' franchise. They have to search hard to find places to spend money anyway, it's only natural that Tavares will skip the traditional second contract despite not putting up the numbers of a Stamkos, for example. They can't afford to alienate him in any way or let the opportunity of an offer-sheet come to pass.
I don't think the situations are identical but do they really need to be for Tavares' contract to help set the market for Benn? Sure, Tavares is a #1 overall pick but Benn's play has placed him in the top 5 of his draft class. What matters most is what they've each been able to produce and what their future production potential is. At this point it's hard to say which player will be the better of the two going forward.

Benn hasn't earned a Tavares contract yet but neither has Tavares, really. To your point that the Islanders need to look to find places to spend that money, sure. But they are also banking on him continuing to get better and produce more offense. At some point in the not too distant future Tavares will probably be underpaid. I'm all for a longer Benn contract that overpays him early and likely underpays him late, which I think the Tavares contract would.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 10:43 PM
apsco17

The thing with Benn is he is not just a regular season type achiever. When the going gets tough, as is the playoffs, Benn is the type of player that will excel. This is based on my experience watching Benn when he played for the Rockets in the WHL. The kid is at his best when the pressure / physicality is on. He isnt a slacker by any means during the regular season, but when the money is on the line, he changes from clark kent to superman. and there is good reason to pay those type of players a premium.

I laugh when HF has this in their writeup for Benn: At 6’2, 185 lbs he doesn’t use his size particularly well and he’s not an overly physical force. In the year that Kelowna won the WHL Championship, Benn did nothing but crush oponents phyically via hard hits and fights (all of which he dominated). I can think of no other player who dominated the game physically in the playoffs that year as much as Benn, except maybe Tyler Myers (who was WHL playoff mvp).

Last edited by apsco17: 09-23-2011 at 10:58 PM.
apsco17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 11:29 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
I have a feeling Turris' deal is gonna play a big part in this. I think if Turris does get 4 million, Benn will be getting something similar. Turris has proved less, and while Benn may not be as vital to our offense as Turris is to Phoenix, he's still a huge part of it.

I think if Turris gets 4 million, Benn will sign a 2-3 contract for just over 4 per.

If not, same length, anywhere from 2.5-3.5 million per.

I'm not sure why Tavares' deal keeps popping up. JVR and Turris are much more accurate IMO. JVR especially. Very versatile position wise, not as proven though, and gonna have to really step up this year. Will he get a JVR-type deal? God, I hope not. But I think his agent might push for something like that.

And I don't have a link, but I read somewhere that the Stars' are in talks about an extension with both Goligoski and Benn. No idea on the status, though.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:48 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I have a feeling Turris' deal is gonna play a big part in this. I think if Turris does get 4 million, Benn will be getting something similar. Turris has proved less, and while Benn may not be as vital to our offense as Turris is to Phoenix, he's still a huge part of it.

I think if Turris gets 4 million, Benn will sign a 2-3 contract for just over 4 per.

If not, same length, anywhere from 2.5-3.5 million per.

I'm not sure why Tavares' deal keeps popping up. JVR and Turris are much more accurate IMO. JVR especially. Very versatile position wise, not as proven though, and gonna have to really step up this year. Will he get a JVR-type deal? God, I hope not. But I think his agent might push for something like that.

And I don't have a link, but I read somewhere that the Stars' are in talks about an extension with both Goligoski and Benn. No idea on the status, though.
Turris' demands are a joke. And Benn is a hell of a lot more vital to the Stars' offense than Turris is to the Coyotes'. Turris is an afterthought in Phoenix. The two aren't even comparable. Benn currently IS the player Turris may one day become, sans the physicality, and Benn clearly isn't done proving what he can be. Tavares keeps popping up because the two players have been in the league for the same amount of time and produced pretty similar numbers. Turris demanding 4 million is tantamount to a grocery store clerk demanding $40/hr.

Old
09-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

In two seasons plus 3 games his rookie year Turris has:

131 games 19 goals 27 assists 46 total points

Benn's rookie year alone he had:

82 games 22 goals 19 assists 41 points

To compare Benn and Turris is a complete mismatch and disservice to Benn. He's more than twice the player Turris is. Tavares, JVR, Couture...those are all reasonable. Benn will get 4+ million and deserve it. I'd be thrilled if he signed a deal somewhere between JVR and Tavares.

Turris is rapidly approaching bust status and his 4 million demands are a ploy to get dealt not realistic contract negotiations.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 04:18 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Turris isn't approaching bust status at all. I wouldn't call him an afterthought either. I think you could make a convincing argument actually that Turris is MORE crucial to the Coyotes' offense than Benn is to the Stars'.

And I disagree that draft position doesn't matter when it comes to RFA contracts. High picks like Turris and JVR are more likely to get more money regardless of how their production compares.

Old
09-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Agreed.

I'd actually be pretty excited if we made a move to acquire Turris. Wouldn't want to pay him $4 mil, obviously, but maybe he'd jump-start his career in Dallas.

09-24-2011, 05:03 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

If we got Turris, we'd have one heck of an offense IMO.

A line like Benn - Turris - Eriksson would definitely be something to watch...

Old
09-24-2011, 05:03 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I think you could make a convincing argument actually that Turris is MORE crucial to the Coyotes' offense than Benn is to the Stars'.
I would love to hear one. Given Turris' career thus far Phoenix can't possibly be counting on him to put up even 40 points this coming season.

Quote:
And I disagree that draft position doesn't matter when it comes to RFA contracts. High picks like Turris and JVR are more likely to get more money regardless of how their production compares.
But does it, really? What are some comparable situations from the past where a player of Benn's quality at the NHL level has gotten paid less than a Turris type due to draft position? JVR is a different situation because his numbers, aside from draft position, are comparable to Benn. Turris isn't even in the same conversation. Until he proves worthy of his draft position he's just another 20+ point player with potential.

I'm not into the business of calling 22 year old players busts but Turris is at the doorstep of either owning that title or pushing beyond it. There's no doubt in my mind that he was rushed but the situation is what it is. Hell, one could make the argument that Turris was significantly overrated prior to the 2007 draft because of his quality of competition, which calls into question the legitimacy of comparing RFA's from the same draft class based on draft position.

Old
09-24-2011, 06:08 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I would love to hear one. Given Turris' career thus far Phoenix can't possibly be counting on him to put up even 40 points this coming season.
Well if I were Phoenix, I would've certainly have been counting on at least 40 points.

Of course you've got a big stumbling block in the form of Tippett. We all know it's very difficult for young players to gain his trust and therefore icetime. Does Loui Eriksson become the player he is today if Tippett has his way?

Turris scored 2.30 PTS/60 5v5 last season, which led the Coyotes' entire team. Benn scored 2.40. And that was the regular season -- he clearly turned his game up several notches in the playoffs. To my eyes, he was the Coyotes' best player, slightly better than even Doan. He was playing the way we hope Benn will under the big lights.

A large part of this comparison concerns the comparative strength of the 2 teams. Phoenix is hoping a declining Langkow recaptures some of his old form and stays healthy. They're hoping an undersized undrafted college free agent can make the jump to productive NHLer. History says that will likely fail. Hanzal's a great checker, but he's just that. Turris is their only center that appears to be a legitimate offensive threat. Meanwhile, of course, we have Ribeiro.

Old
09-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Josh Bailey was rushed and has similar numbers to Turris. His new deal, two years, 2.1 million. He's going to get better just like Sam Gagner is going to get better but none of those three are good comparisons to Benn who has already turned that corner.

I'd swap Glennie for Turris, no question, but let's not pretend he's some huge offensive cog for Phoenix right now. The Coyotes want him to turn into that but so far in his career he hasn't produced like a top six player.

Bottom line Benn probably deserves 4 million in a long term deal that pays him more up front but makes it a great deal as he goes along just like Eriksson's contract. Six years $27 million and I'd be thrilled.

Old
09-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I'd swap Glennie for Turris, no question, but let's not pretend he's some huge offensive cog for Phoenix right now. The Coyotes want him to turn into that but so far in his career he hasn't produced like a top six player.
It wasn't so much that Turris is a big offensive cog, but moreso that, comparing both the Stars and Coyotes, they need him to become an offensive cog to potentially not have a bigger dropoff in the standings from last season to this coming season than the Stars.

Or at least that's what I inferred from what was written.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 07:40 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
It wasn't so much that Turris is a big offensive cog, but moreso that, comparing both the Stars and Coyotes, they need him to become an offensive cog to potentially not have a bigger dropoff in the standings from last season to this coming season than the Stars.

Or at least that's what I inferred from what was written.
Exactly.

He won't be better than Benn. But if Phoenix loses Turris, they'll be a lot worse off compared to us losing Benn.

Old
09-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Exactly.

He won't be better than Benn. But if Phoenix loses Turris, they'll be a lot worse off compared to us losing Benn.
And I disagree with that. Turris isn't carrying their 2nd line he's been the dead weight of that line. Benn on the other hand basically carried the Stars for a sold month last year or we would have been a lottery team. If Benn misses most of this upcoming season Dallas is a lottery team. Phoenix isn't far from that now and won't be that much worse. They struggled to score last year and Bryz won games for them. Their goal tending may doom them to loosing even more games this year. Games where their 1 or 2 goals doesn't hold up.

At this point I don't think Turris is going to suit up for them and that doesn't help but Turris alone isn't going to save their offense.

Old
09-24-2011, 08:44 PM
NHLNUT04
HFBoards Sponsor

Sign him long-term. This is a great start!

09-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Turris isn't carrying their 2nd line he's been the dead weight of that line. Benn on the other hand basically carried the Stars for a sold month last year or we would have been a lottery team. If Benn misses most of this upcoming season Dallas is a lottery team. Phoenix isn't far from that now and won't be that much worse. They struggled to score last year and Bryz won games for them. Their goal tending may doom them to loosing even more games this year. Games where their 1 or 2 goals doesn't hold up.
That's the point. With the departure of Bryz they need Turris to step up and become an offensive cog so that they potentially have a chance to win those games. They won't be winning close games due to goaltending anymore, so they need more offensive output to offset that.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

That's a valid point but don't tell me he's more important (ie more productive) than Benn will be this season. Phoenix doesn't have center depth but then neither does Dallas. I think the team that misses the guy becoming a star (Benn) is far more important than the team missing the hit or miss player (because he alone, even if he has 50+ points, isn't going to score Phoenix to victory).

Old
09-24-2011, 09:35 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Well if I were Phoenix, I would've certainly have been counting on at least 40 points.

Of course you've got a big stumbling block in the form of Tippett. We all know it's very difficult for young players to gain his trust and therefore icetime. Does Loui Eriksson become the player he is today if Tippett has his way?

Turris scored 2.30 PTS/60 5v5 last season, which led the Coyotes' entire team. Benn scored 2.40. And that was the regular season -- he clearly turned his game up several notches in the playoffs. To my eyes, he was the Coyotes' best player, slightly better than even Doan. He was playing the way we hope Benn will under the big lights.

A large part of this comparison concerns the comparative strength of the 2 teams. Phoenix is hoping a declining Langkow recaptures some of his old form and stays healthy. They're hoping an undersized undrafted college free agent can make the jump to productive NHLer. History says that will likely fail. Hanzal's a great checker, but he's just that. Turris is their only center that appears to be a legitimate offensive threat. Meanwhile, of course, we have Ribeiro.
But is Turris a legitimate offensive threat?

According to those numbers it would seem you think Turris is close to Benn in terms of putting up offense, or am I missing something? To me the question isn't how much a player scores per minute, it's how much they can score given max minutes. Theoretically, having a relatively high PTS/60 means you're better at scoring than someone with a lower split, but only if you can keep up that level of production with increased ice time, which includes better quality of defensive competition.

I feel like this thread has taken a left turn somewhere. If it became public knowledge that Benn was looking for a 4x4 contract like Turris supposedly is it would hardly be eyebrow-raising. With Turris it makes a person want to laugh. They're not even remotely comparable right now in terms of what they are on the ice and what they're worth, either in a vacuum or to their respective teams. Players comparable to Benn from a contract standpoint are the guys like JVR, Tavares and Couture. Turris hasn't even signed yet so he offers virtually nothing from a value comparison perspective.

Quote:
Bottom line Benn probably deserves 4 million in a long term deal that pays him more up front but makes it a great deal as he goes along just like Eriksson's contract. Six years $27 million and I'd be thrilled.
Why would a contract like that be structured to pay him more up front? If anything I'd imagine it would have an escalating salary, not the other way around.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 09-24-2011 at 09:42 PM.