HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Titans\Vols\Dores\Whatever other sport thread(IT ALL GOES HERE) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2011, 09:33 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
3HL yesterday was talking about once the 4 super-conferences are settled, they will leave the NCAA (in an effort to create a playoff system). I'm not sure about that, maybe just in football because in basketball it would destroy the March Madness tournament. Either way if they leave the NCAA, it's a bad day for the schools that get left behind in the MAC, Sun Belt, Mtn West, etc... it would be like division II again.
I dont think there is any chance the leave the NCAA

What will happen is they will be powerful enough to make their own rules.

I think it will by a cycle... the conferences will build up, but will have to split in divisions which will effectively be conferences themselves. Once the big conferences have 16 members, its not a great leap to go to 20, with effectively 2 ten team sub-conferences, and thus for all intents and purposes they will become small again.

I think you could imagine 4 superconferences encompassing 80 schools and then everyone else becoming what was the old division 1-AA and basketball only conferences with a lot of the old FCS and Division II schools dropping scholarship football, like Morehead St has done

Old
09-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Legionnaire11

that's reasonable. It would leave out about 30 schools, tough luck for them I guess, but would actually be a big boost to some of the smaller schools who do get the call.

Old
09-20-2011, 09:56 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
that's reasonable. It would leave out about 30 schools, tough luck for them I guess, but would actually be a big boost to some of the smaller schools who do get the call.
Maybe 1-AA would expand to include those schools. I realize that's a big step down for them, but what else is there?

Old
09-20-2011, 10:35 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Maybe 1-AA would expand to include those schools. I realize that's a big step down for them, but what else is there?
thats the whole point. let the big schools who can afford 90 scholarships play in the bigs, let the others that want scholarship football but dont have the cash to hang with the big dogs have a shot at their own level, and let the schools that mainly play basketball and other sports become non scholarship division III in football.

Old
09-20-2011, 11:32 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I see it as them breaking away from the NCAA. because of stupid rules, you have possible sanctions in around half the SEC, the Big Ten crown Jewel, the Pac-12 crown Jewel, and the ACC's most popular team in Miami. I get the whole morality issue, and quite frankly, I don't care if a recruit got paid, went for a BBQ, or had pep leaders take care of them. It isn't good for business. Fact is those programs under investigation or under sanction are the most popular programs. Eventually the NCAA is gonna lose their monopoly over them.

I really thought the USC, when they were punished for something that happened 5-6 years ago was gonna lead the charge out of the NCAA with Notre Dame. Then Texas got their network and there is a slow build from schools slowly doing things on their own.

Old
09-20-2011, 11:46 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Right, a Preds season ticket holder from day one, who probably did more than anyone else to organize the rally and ticket drive during the summer of the sale... the irrational Plaster hate from Preds fans is amusing.
My dislike of Plaster has little to do with his coverage of and involvement with hockey. I do appreciate his work keeping the team in Nashville. What I don't value are his opinions. Re-read my original post. I mentioned that I did not care for Plaster going back as far as the early 90s, long before the Predators existence.

Sure, he's a great guy who does a lot for the community. But I don't want him leading discussions on coaching decisions, team play, game strategy, GM decisions, etc... If we want to grow up as a hockey market, we need personalities who understand the game, not a cheerleader.

Old
09-20-2011, 03:29 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Right, a Preds season ticket holder from day one, who probably did more than anyone else to organize the rally and ticket drive during the summer of the sale... the irrational Plaster hate from Preds fans is amusing..
Amen.

Although, I think your bottom paragraph is explaining the way it used to be... I feel a shift in the wind the last 7-12 months. I don't think it is like that anymore; or well, not as drastic as it used to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Sure, he's a great guy who does a lot for the community. But I don't want him leading discussions on coaching decisions, team play, game strategy, GM decisions, etc... If we want to grow up as a hockey market, we need personalities who understand the game, not a cheerleader.
I, also, agree with this. To me, Plas is one of those 'good ole boys' that has gradually picked up the game, but not picked up on the intricacies of the game (even though they have had 13 years to do it). It's almost like they learn enough to JUST get by and keep their job.

Old
09-20-2011, 08:06 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

you guys realize plaster is a tpical hockey fan whoo is still learning the game asking the same question other fans picking up the game are asking. I like when he questions things. sometimes he gets answers, sometimes not. he just calls it as he sees it. this kinda reminds me of the ecklund bashers. you don't have to read/listen/watch etc.

Old
09-21-2011, 03:41 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Now the Pac-12 won't take Texas et al because of revenue sharing differences. I swear, there was less drama at my high school than this.

I wouldn't be too shocked if Oklahoma, OK State, and TTU all made a pitch to Boise State to try to lure them in as the fourth team in a Pac-16, while Texas goes independent. That seems like a pretty reasonable solution for everybody.

Old
09-21-2011, 03:57 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Now the Pac-12 won't take Texas et al because of revenue sharing differences. I swear, there was less drama at my high school than this.

I wouldn't be too shocked if Oklahoma, OK State, and TTU all made a pitch to Boise State to try to lure them in as the fourth team in a Pac-16, while Texas goes independent. That seems like a pretty reasonable solution for everybody.
I cant see the Pac 12 doing the deal without Texas. They are the (forgive the pun) cash cow in the whole deal.

Boise is peanuts revenue-wise, and that all the Pac12 is looking for.

Old
09-21-2011, 04:27 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I wouldn't be shocked to see TCU withdraw their place in the Big East and join Boise St in the revised Big 12.

Old
09-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see TCU withdraw their place in the Big East and join Boise St in the revised Big 12.
I would. On both counts.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
09-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Just saw that former Raven Orlando Brown was found dead today. Very sad. He was 40. No cause of death listed but it was reported that it was nothing suspicious and no obvious cause. RIP

http://www.onlykent.com/20110923/dis...tributes-paid/

Old
09-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Just saw that former Raven Orlando Brown was found dead today. Very sad. He was 40. No cause of death listed but it was reported that it was nothing suspicious and no obvious cause. RIP

http://www.onlykent.com/20110923/dis...tributes-paid/
Isn't he the guy that got injured by a flag?? Then sued the NFL claiming the ref threw it at his eye. Then he returned to the Field one year later with the Ravens after claiming his career was over?

Old
09-25-2011, 04:24 PM
cleangene

I thought it was a "Code Blue" day at LP field, not wear your best empty seat suit. I KNOW the tennessean will mention how the upper deck seemed to be void of people in their game recaps, right?

Old
09-25-2011, 05:53 PM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
I thought it was a "Code Blue" day at LP field, not wear your best empty seat suit. I KNOW the tennessean will mention how the upper deck seemed to be void of people in their game recaps, right?
Maybe they will, Mr. Personality.

Old
09-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Isn't he the guy that got injured by a flag?? Then sued the NFL claiming the ref threw it at his eye. Then he returned to the Field one year later with the Ravens after claiming his career was over?
I have had an eye injury since around January...sometimes they don't heal quickly. Gotta give him the benefit of the doubt that he truly thought his career was over. Even so, it's sad.

Cleangene, "Announced sellout" will never be part of the description of the Titans game. It shouldn't be with either team.

Old
09-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I have had an eye injury since around January...sometimes they don't heal quickly. Gotta give him the benefit of the doubt that he truly thought his career was over. Even so, it's sad.

Cleangene, "Announced sellout" will never be part of the description of the Titans game. It shouldn't be with either team.
I understand but he blamed the ref and even cliamed it was racist (Jhonnie Cochran was his lawyer). Not ripping him I just remember this happing. He was an O-lineman so most fans hardly know them unless something like that happenes.

The Titans have had Attendance issues for years (no shows) but they get a pass from the media because it's the NFL. Other teams do also. The NFL is a money maker for the Press and will never be critized for anything for fear of retribution.

Old
09-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Nitrous Mafia

It's weird watching the TITans with a good QB.

Old
09-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
The Titans have sold out every game, there's nothing they can do if the ticket buyers don't show up. It's like the Wings in Detroit, we can give them crap for not showing up, but they tickets are sold and the team is making money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
It's weird watching the TITans with a good QB.
Steve McNair and Warren Moon say hello! Okay, so most Titans fans didn't watch Warren Moon, I happened to have a childhood friend who was a huge Oilers fan for some reason so we watched anytime they were on.

Either way, yes it is great to have a competent and intelligent QB with above average skills. I was a huge VY supporter, and wanted him to succeed here, because he has all of the physical tools to be completely unstoppable. Losing Britt for any length of time will not help him, they need Jared Cook to step up.

If Johnson can get going, it will be a big boost to the offense, I predicted 4 games before he would be ready to contribute, so we'll see what he gives us next week. If he doesn't produce, then the boos will be justified.

Old
09-29-2011, 12:40 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Wow @ Braves (what a crappy year for atlanta sports fans) & red sox

Old
09-29-2011, 12:47 AM
Everlong
-

Brb, reading boston bruins board. lol. Gotta love that comeback, not just tonight, but throughout september. Madden is a genius.

@Hoarding Asssets. Good news for Atlanta, everyone is blowing up over the RedSox demolition. Not as much heat on the braves.

Old
09-29-2011, 10:21 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I guess I'll throw in a "hells yeah!!!" for the Braves
One...Giant...

Bo Wap Wap.

Old
09-29-2011, 12:06 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Braves fans can now just get ready for thras....oops

Braves fans can now get ready for Hawk....oops

Braves fans can play mlb2k

Old
09-29-2011, 12:09 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Yeah, please take the bat out of Boston's throat.......

(Or at least take out one of the 8 billion leadoff hitters from the starting lineup....)

Closed Thread