HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which newer players make the team ?

Old
09-24-2011, 06:22 PM
SERE 24
LGR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Deveaux and Weise I have been told will be given every chance to win Avery's spot.
I'm going to assume by that we're to understand, the pressbox, because if Deveaux makes this team over Sean Avery, I'll blow a gasket. If Avery's spot is in the pressbox, I can live with that, but if Deveaux is on the team, I cannot.

SERE 24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 06:23 PM
ThisYearsModel

I don't think that Avery is terrible.....but the combination of the referees treatment of him and Tortorella's dislike of him is too much for him to overcome and be productive. Avery's situation is what it will be. This will be one of the stories of the year, and probably Avery's last season as an NHL player. No way the Rangers re-sign him, and doubtful that anyone else (except the Flyers) will.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 06:51 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Weise, I like. I've liked him for a while. He's proven he's capable of producing at the AHL level.

Its just a matter of translating that to the NHL level.

If Weise could become for the Rangers, what he's been for the Wolf Pack/Whale, that would be a huge addition to this lineup.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 06:55 PM
free0717

I think Erixon sticks. Bourque if there are some injuries

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
For the last few months I have been reading of the greatness of Erixon by lots of posters here. While he may become great, so far I am not impressed.
Many posters here have overlooked the fact that Erixon has played his entire career on the larger ice surfaces. Plus, last night he played on the right side--something he's done before, but again, not on the smaller surface. Add the fact that's he's playing an entirely new system and I'm not surprised he doesn't look fantastic.

But, he's clearly a solid player and once he's adjusted--which I don't think will take long--he'll be as advertised: a solid top 4 defenseman who could very likely have further upside.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
But Torts doesn't have any pre-conceived Avery bias right?
Tortorella has given Avery enough chances to prove him wrong. The problem is that Avery doesn't play consistantly--he takes too many shifts off and on the nights that he's disinterested, he's a liability to the team.

If Weise continues to play at the level he's played the last two games, he makes it easy to keep him over Avery, especially since his cap hit is much lower. Whether Sather is willing to waive him is another story.

Old
09-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Weise to me is the only stand out so far in the pre season. He has done a great job. Is he better than Prust? I don't think so. Better than Rupp? Probably not. So the consencus so far seems to be that becuase there are two physical players that the Rangers don't need a third. I don't see the logic. I think the best player available should get a spot. Brings me to Zuccarello. He should be tearing it up in the preseason and in camp. He didn't do that IMO. Maybe he will have a strong game vs philthy. If he plays?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 08:31 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Weise has potentoal. He scored 28 two years ago and 18 in 47 games last year in the AHL.

So the offensive potential is there for Weise.

Just a matter of translating that success to the NHL level. And weather or not he will be given a chance to.

He showed the other night, that around the net he can score. If he has some skilled guys to play with.

Maybe Stepan and _______ could be good.

If Avery isn't on the roster, to be honest I hope Hagelin is. I feel he can play a solid role.

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Wolski-Anisimov-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan-Weise/Zuccarello
Rupp/Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust

Old
09-24-2011, 09:14 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

From the two preseason games and camp reports here's the lines I would like to see:

Dubinsky - Richards - Gaborik
Wolski - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Stepan - Zuccarello
Avery/Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
Mcdonagh - Sauer
Erixon - Del Zotto
Eminger

Nice blend of skill/grit throughout. Unless Wolski develops a bunch of chemistry with Richards-Gabby I would keep him off that line as it would be uber soft.

As far as forwards go:

I like Hagelin's game and he would fit great in Torts system, but there is far too much depth in front of him and he will start the season in Hartford.

Same goes for Bourque he is not ready and will start the season in the AHL. He is 20 so I'm assuming he doesn't go back to juniors?

Deveaux/Thuresson no chance.

Newbury/Weise/Mitchell are closer but are not gonna unseat anyone. Weise I think is first forward call up.

Christensen can get lost. In fact in order for MZA to make the team one of Christensen/Avery would have to be waived to fit him under the cap. Methinks its Christensen.

Defensemen:

No real surprises. A lot depends on Staal's status. If he's not ready at the start of the season, I think Bell stays on board as the extra defenseman, and perhaps McIlrath gets a cup of tea. No doubt McIlrath goes back to juniors though. Bickell/Parlett AHL bound.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 09:27 PM
E-Train

I haven't seen any posts on Weise that realize he has to go through waivers to be sent to CT. This is his 4th pro year coming. There may be a few teams that would grab him for their 4th line. Same situation as Sauer last Sept.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 09:33 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Tortorella has given Avery enough chances to prove him wrong. The problem is that Avery doesn't play consistantly--he takes too many shifts off and on the nights that he's disinterested, he's a liability to the team.

If Weise continues to play at the level he's played the last two games, he makes it easy to keep him over Avery, especially since his cap hit is much lower. Whether Sather is willing to waive him is another story.
He's far more consistent than you give him credit for. Who exactly deserves his spot? Zuccarello? ****. Nobody cares what anti-Avery fans have to say about him.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
He's far more consistent than you give him credit for. Who exactly deserves his spot? Zuccarello? ****. Nobody cares what anti-Avery fans have to say about him.
And nobody cares what the apologists say about Avery either. To his horror he's become a non-entity.

Old
09-24-2011, 09:42 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
And nobody cares what the apologists say about Avery either. To his horror he's become a non-entity.
Aww yes. The guy who calls him out everytime he does something wrong and says he's a solid 3rd-4th line tweener with 25-30 point potential is an apologist. I wonder who's more biased, ******.

Like I said, nobody cares what you or chosen or any other anti-Avery idiot has to say about it.

Assess the situation appropriately and don't make yourself look stupid. Cause it situations that dont revolve around Avery you and others aren't. For whatever reason when he's involved facts and logic don't matter though.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:34 PM
rocketxav9

how many points for erixon this season ?

rocketxav9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Assess the situation appropriately and don't make yourself look stupid. Cause it situations that dont revolve around Avery you and others aren't. For whatever reason when he's involved facts and logic don't matter though.
Ditto--there is no logic left to this conversation. Tortorella will do what he thinks is best for the team. That's fine with me.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:29 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketxav9 View Post
how many points for erixon this season ?
I'm gonna say 15-25. More towards the high end depending on how much PP time he gets.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:39 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I think when all is said and done and the team has to choose between keeping say Zuc or Dale... I choose Dale

Dale has done his time in the AHL and deserves a shot or to be waived and given a chance elsewhere.

Zuc has 38 games in Hartford and would quite likely prefer playing in the EU to the AHL.

2 completely different sorts of players yet NY may quite likely be choosing between the two for the last slot

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:46 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
I think when all is said and done and the team has to choose between keeping say Zuc or Dale... I choose Dale

Dale has done his time in the AHL and deserves a shot or to be waived and given a chance elsewhere.

Zuc has 38 games in Hartford and would quite likely prefer playing in the EU to the AHL.

2 completely different sorts of players yet NY may quite likely be choosing between the two for the last slot
Zuccarello is under contract--he's not going back to Europe if he doesn't make the team out of training camp.

Old
09-25-2011, 05:49 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I take MZA over Dale every week. Dale was good the first game. That's really it. He had a really good game his first NHL callup last year and then was horrendous.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:19 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I take MZA over Dale every week. Dale was good the first game. That's really it. He had a really good game his first NHL callup last year and then was horrendous.
as long as Zuc is SCORING then I agree with you

if he isn't then I would disagree with this sentiment

Old
09-25-2011, 08:20 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Zuccarello is under contract--he's not going back to Europe if he doesn't make the team out of training camp.
yes but when the contract expires he is gonzo

Old
09-25-2011, 08:38 AM
azrok22

Quote:
With Mats Zuccarello all but certain to start the season with the team, the Rangers have spots open for a pair of spare forwards. Unless Carl Hagelin comes out of nowhere with far more impressive performances in Europe than he’s delivered in his two exhibition outings thus far or Ryan Bourque forces himself into the mix, the candidates are: Sean Avery, who clearly has the highest ceiling of anyone else in the equation; Erik Christensen, whose role has been marginalized by the addition of Brad Richards; and John Mitchell and Dale Weise, both of whom would require waivers in order to be assigned to the AHL Whale.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...BYh8PpCgTv8uNK

Brooks claims Weise would need to pass through waivers to be sent down. I don't think that's true (and capgeek indicates that Weise is waiver exempt).

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

It will be real interesting to see how Hagelin, Erixon and MZA will do in the games over in Europe. Perhaps being back on bigger ice will give them the upper hand on the NA competition? Thoughts?

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:37 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

It might but then when they come back to North American rinks, weaknesses will return.

Old
09-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
It might but then when they come back to North American rinks, weaknesses will return.
Well yes, that is possible. But, since the final picks will be done after games on euro ice, the question is if come the 1st game of the season they will have an advantage since the last games of the preseason are being played on a larger surface than what their NA counterparts are used to.

I wasnt talking about who makes the team in the long run, but who starts.

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote