HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal (10/5: Out indefinitely, on IR)

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2011, 12:17 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Am I the only one who finds it strange that Strang reported that Staal was getting headaches from working out and Richards had a sore groin, but Zipay and Gross didn't?
It's in RangerRants (by Gross)--he probably just waited to post until he/other media talked to Staal, rather than report rumors.

Old
09-21-2011, 12:51 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
He almost certainly will fly to Europe. He only has problems when doing strenuous exercise, not from other things. He'll be fine on a flight
From the limited information I have heard so far I would be very surprised if Staal is on that trip. If he is it is obviously a very good sign, and means he is probably ready to play game 1 of the season. IMO from what we are hearing that does not seem to be the case.

Old
09-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

From what I am hearing, at this point, Staal is expected to be on the trip to Europe.

Old
09-21-2011, 12:58 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
From what I am hearing, at this point, Staal is expected to be on the trip to Europe.
That's a good sign. If he is skating and he took the tests he is obviously in good shape. He may be a bit rusty if he doesn't play but it may be the type of deal where he will play a couple of games and need a couple of games off to recover....

Old
09-21-2011, 01:18 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

People are still missing the point that Staal based his baseline test last Friday. He is cleared for contact. He has skated in 5 out of the 6 days. Skated the conditioning tests on Friday and Saturday. Practiced on Sunday,Tuesday and Wednesday. The Rangers made the decision to keep him out of the scrimmages.

Old
09-21-2011, 04:48 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
People are still missing the point that Staal based his baseline test last Friday. He is cleared for contact. He has skated in 5 out of the 6 days. Skated the conditioning tests on Friday and Saturday. Practiced on Sunday,Tuesday and Wednesday. The Rangers made the decision to keep him out of the scrimmages.
I don't debate any of that RB, but Staal's quotes are a little alarming to say the least. He can't workout without getting headaches? What you're saying is all true, but do you see where his quotes don't add up?

Maybe he was talking more about over the summer and not right now, but I got the impression it was still happening, otherwise this wouldn't be an issue.

Old
09-24-2011, 10:23 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Trautwig on Hockey Night Live just said Staal won't be making the initial trip to Europe.

We are ****ed.

Old
09-24-2011, 11:11 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Trautwig on Hockey Night Live just said Staal won't be making the initial trip to Europe.

We are ****ed.
They said that a while ago, no? He might join the trip later.

Old
09-24-2011, 11:16 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Concussions are absolutely NOTHING to mess around with. Staal is a major player for your defense, and you take it cautiously. If that means you don't seem him until the first game of the season, well than that's what it is. If that means you don't see him until after that, well than that's what it is. It seems like, to me, that the issue here is just being 150% sure he's OK. And when it comes to concussions, there's no other way to be.

Good luck this season boys. See you all October, 15th? at the Coliseum.

Old
09-24-2011, 11:18 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
They said that a while ago, no? He might join the trip later.
They said he might not start the trip with the team but it was 100% that he wouldn't. Now it seems like Trautwig is confirming it. Not good.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:26 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Not what we want to hear, but certainly no surprise. Like I said a week ago, I would be shocked if Staal goes to Europe. Would be a pleasant surprise if he meets up with them to start the season, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old
09-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

It is the beginning of the season, and I would much rather be safe than sorry. We have some players that can fill in for the mean time. We just need every one else to step up for the time being.

Old
09-25-2011, 11:36 AM
broadwayblue

Exactly. Better safe than sorry. Hopefully he's ready to go by the season opener...that gives him a month to recuperate. Missing 7 games at the start of the season is a lot easier to handle than losing him for the better part of a season or longer.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:50 PM
azrok22

Quote:
AGrossRecord Andrew Gross
Staal will not travel to Europe tomorrow. Not ruled out for opener. Update in 4-5 days.
Not surprising at this point, but still .

Old
09-25-2011, 01:11 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Well That's that I guess. At this point I think we can pretty much consign ourselves to the fact that Staal won't be starting the season. Not really expecting to come out of this Europe trip with any points, or much of anything for the time he is out.

All of the good feelings going into this season have been sucked dry.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Well That's that I guess. At this point I think we can pretty much consign ourselves to the fact that Staal won't be starting the season. Not really expecting to come out of this Europe trip with any points, or much of anything for the time he is out.

All of the good feelings going into this season have been sucked dry.
Because Marc Staal could possibly miss the first game of the season? I'm pretty pessimistic in general, but man, you're over the top.

It's just pain.
Old
09-25-2011, 01:19 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Because Marc Staal could possibly miss the first game of the season? I'm pretty pessimistic in general, but man, you're over the top.
Not only that, but one of our games is against LA. I'd say at this point it's just as likely that Doughty misses their opener as Staal misses ours.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:19 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Sorry, but next to henrik being out, Staal is number two on the "Players we can't afford to lose for any amount of time" list.
A significant leg has just been chopped out from under us if he doesn't play. We can say possibly all we want but at this point we are kidding ourselves if we think he's starting the season. And that is a devastating detriment to wanting to start out the season on the right foot

Old
09-25-2011, 01:20 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Torts says that Staal has not been ruled out of season opener, also says Staal "practiced well" today
https://twitter.com/#!/thenyrangers/...20515540647936

Old
09-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

They're being cautious... as they should be. We shouldn't overreact.

Even if he misses the first month or so of the season, it's not over.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:30 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
They're being cautious... as they should be. We shouldn't overreact.

Even if he misses the first month or so of the season, it's not over.
I agree that caution is key here. Have him stay out as long as he needs to in order to get 100%. But I just don't think replacing Staal's 25+ minutes a night easily is in any way feasible.

defensive lynch pin.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Sorry, but next to henrik being out, Staal is number two on the "Players we can't afford to lose for any amount of time" list.
A significant leg has just been chopped out from under us if he doesn't play. We can say possibly all we want but at this point we are kidding ourselves if we think he's starting the season. And that is a devastating detriment to wanting to start out the season on the right foot
I think he's starting the season.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:36 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
I think he's starting the season.
I sincerely hope you are right.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:52 PM
rangers5

Staal is an established member of the core so its not like he needs to be evaluated by the coaching staff or to get himself acclimated to the system. His skill allows him to jump right in when he is healthy. By staying back for another week or so he can continue to go for treatments and be close to the doctors he and the team trust should anything come up. Of course you never know with these things, but I just look at it as the team being smart rather than an indication that he is suffering from a setback.

Old
09-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
I agree that caution is key here. Have him stay out as long as he needs to in order to get 100%. But I just don't think replacing Staal's 25+ minutes a night easily is in any way feasible.

defensive lynch pin.
His minutes aren't replaceable, at all. But even without him we'll win a few games. It's a long season. People are still picking the Pens to win the division even though Cindy may not play until December. Granted they have a ton of talent but even if Staal returs after a month or two we probably won't be so far out of it that it would be over.

Closed Thread