HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs @ Sabres...

Old
09-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuzzo View Post
Leafs Lombardi cleared for full practise, could be ready for first game, says Wilson.

http://twitter.com/#!/kevin_mcgran/s...85989493170176
Wow, I really didn't expect that.

Anyone else think it would be a good idea to start him on the 4th line and ease him back in?

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:10 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post

Anyone else think it would be a good idea to start him on the 4th line and ease him back in?
Could be an idea as he hasn't played in quite some time.

He's way too good for the 4th line though, and could prove such after a single game.

Lombardi - Bozak - Armstrong sounds like a great line to me.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:11 PM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post

I really do. Plus giving him time on the PK to really get his wheels back, I'd say it's a pretty ideal situation. Having Brown on the wing too, that could be a very intense, quick shutdown line until he's comfortable out there and show's that.

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:13 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by crediblepest View Post
Wait wait wait, people are being hard on Gustavsson after a game like this?! He almost single handily stole that game for us...

If anything he solidified my trust in him for the upcoming season!

Jonas!
Rain or shine, it's Monster bashing time in Leafs Nation. It doesn't matter how he plays on any given night.

What I'm more concerned about is Schenn continuing his horrendeous start to the season. He's been a bit better tonight (that's not really saying much), but he still had a hand in all 3 goals against.
  • First he misses rubbing a guy out along the boards, who goes for the wraparound, gets the puck out in front of the net, where the Sabres eventually put it in after a couple of whacks (while Schenn's lieing on the ice in front of the net for some reason).
  • Next he gets a glorious chance to clear the puck on the PK after we've been hemmed in our zone for 60-90s, and turns the puck over.
  • Then, as a grand finale, he figured PK was a fine time to double team someone in front of the net and leave 2 other guys wide open.

By the end of the 2nd, I was cringing every time I saw Aulie and Schenn on the ice together. Seriously, what was Wilson thinking? Putting two of our worst performing D out together during crucial times of the game. Yes, yes, I realize they're meaningless games, but why even bother experimenting with an Aulie / Schenn pairing?

I hope Schenn gets his game together in the next week or so and will be ready when the season starts. Those first 5 games (Habs, Sens, Flames, Avs, Jets) will be crucial, as that 5 game stretch is followed by games against Bruins, Habs, Flyers, Rangers and Pens. We can't afford to have our key role players to come out of the gate stumbling, otherwise we could be looking at a 2-8 (or something similar) start to the season.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:14 PM
ryno23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Scrivens is better.

From what I have seen.
Yeah its a huge concern that Gus cannot move laterally well and he is always scrambling to get back into position cause he slides too far and cannot get back. Looks almost Jiggy on those plays. Reimer on the other hand is quick to both sides and recovers well and able to make those saves.

The Pk was way better with Reimer in nets cause he makes saves plain and simple your best PK 'er is always your goalie. One thing I notice is that the 4 players tend to puck watch and not watch their seam and guys jumping behind them. Also need to clear the front of the net and take sticks away. Pronger does not worry about taking another penalty when he clears the net and the refs usually let them engage in the front of the crease battles.

I hope they play at least their top 2 lines the rest of the way to get some game timing back and also dress at least their top 4 D so they can also get things moving.

I like Gardiner's game so far but if he is sent down to the minors I won't be mad it will give him some time to get used to the pro game. If sent down I can see him getting called up in Nov when they see that Komi can no longer keep up to the speed of the new NHL.

I feel bad for Komi cause the way the game is changing to a faster less physical game it does not suit him one bit and it shows on the ice. He is going the REDDEN route just not able to keep up.

Next week hopefully we see more regulars and especially at the Ottawa game since I am going haha.

ryno23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:15 PM
tooproforyou

what happened on the 3rd goal? somebody missed their man or gus over-committed? Seemed like there was all the time in the world on that play

tooproforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:19 PM
ryno23

Oh and can someone tell me is it AM 640 where the Leafs games are on? HNIC has been ruined by listening to Simpson, Hugeson and Healy.

I am going to start a drinking game and every time of them say something negative about the Leafs I will take a shot......christ I better not do that cause I will be pissed by the the 18:00 mark of the first period.

I am a Leaf fan and yes Bob Cole was a Leaf homer but at least he did not cut up the other team during broadcast. Those clowns have ruined watching HNIC and I've been watching HNIC for 35 years.

We should start a petition and get them to remove Healy to start. I bet we as Leaf Nation can get it done. The CBC will listen to its bread and butter.

Old
09-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by crediblepest View Post
Wait wait wait, people are being hard on Gustavsson after a game like this?! He almost single handily stole that game for us...

If anything he solidified my trust in him for the upcoming season!

Jonas!
Absolutely. He was a beast tonight. Once again all goals were results
of defensive gaffes and a deflection.

Lashoff played himself off the team tonight.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Rain or shine, it's Monster bashing time in Leafs Nation. It doesn't matter how he plays on any given night.

What I'm more concerned about is Schenn continuing his horrendeous start to the season. He's been a bit better tonight (that's not really saying much), but he still had a hand in all 3 goals against.
  • First he misses rubbing a guy out along the boards, who goes for the wraparound, gets the puck out in front of the net, where the Sabres eventually put it in after a couple of whacks (while Schenn's lieing on the ice in front of the net for some reason).
  • Next he gets a glorious chance to clear the puck on the PK after we've been hemmed in our zone for 60-90s, and turns the puck over.
  • Then, as a grand finale, he figured PK was a fine time to double team someone in front of the net and leave 2 other guys wide open.

By the end of the 2nd, I was cringing every time I saw Aulie and Schenn on the ice together. Seriously, what was Wilson thinking? Putting two of our worst performing D out together during crucial times of the game. Yes, yes, I realize they're meaningless games, but why even bother experimenting with an Aulie / Schenn pairing?

I hope Schenn gets his game together in the next week or so and will be ready when the season starts. Those first 5 games (Habs, Sens, Flames, Avs, Jets) will be crucial, as that 5 game stretch is followed by games against Bruins, Habs, Flyers, Rangers and Pens. We can't afford to have our key role players to come out of the gate stumbling, otherwise we could be looking at a 2-8 (or something similar) start to the season.
Schenn was covering the man who was down low on his side...Boyce is the one that came all the way down to help Schenn with his man.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:22 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Absolutely. He was a beast tonight. Once again all goals were results
of defensive gaffes and a deflection.

Lashoff played himself off the team tonight.
Gustavsson had a very strong game. Towards the end he made several key saves to keep us in the game.

Agree about Lashoff, he has not been good lately.

Old
09-24-2011, 10:24 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

gustavsson was good this game

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Oh and can someone tell me is it AM 640 where the Leafs games are on? HNIC has been ruined by listening to Simpson, Hugeson and Healy.

I am going to start a drinking game and every time of them say something negative about the Leafs I will take a shot......christ I better not do that cause I will be pissed by the the 18:00 mark of the first period.

I am a Leaf fan and yes Bob Cole was a Leaf homer but at least he did not cut up the other team during broadcast. Those clowns have ruined watching HNIC and I've been watching HNIC for 35 years.

We should start a petition and get them to remove Healy to start. I bet we as Leaf Nation can get it done. The CBC will listen to its bread and butter.
CBC is fine. Some of you guys need to grow some thicker skin.

Sad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Bob Cole is no Leaf fan, but he does PBP without a hint of bias.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:31 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Bob Cole is my favourite, great PBP guy, always has been.

Old
09-24-2011, 10:32 PM
ryno23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Panda View Post
Its not about growing thicker skin its about trying to enjoy the game and all the game commentary is negative towards one team and even if they had the greatest goal scored in the world they would find a negative aspect.

I understand its a national broadcast but you do not need to rag on the Leafs to show that you are not Cole and Neale who were Leaf homers. Happy middle is what I am looking for. If the Leafs are playing bad then yeah go ahead and tell the audience they are sucking. However there were nights late last year when the dominated games but you would not know if all you heard was their voices.

Old
09-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Komisarek has looked and played better than Schenn in my opinion. Schenn has been awful and slow lately.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:37 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Panda View Post
While I agree that some people whine too much, you can't really disagree with Healy being an irrational idiot and overanalyzing certain players and the Leafs especially. He'll make the same point like 1000 times and he does it in the most obnoxious way possible

Quote:
Actually I think Bob Cole is a converted Leafs fan. He was the Newfoundland "representative" at last year's opening game ceremony, and ever since he began calling the Leafs he always got excited when the Leafs played well or would be dominating a game. Even though he's not too bias or as bad as other PBP guys, he was still pretty biased towards the Leafs, especially during the playoffs, mainly in the Ottawa-Toronto series'. That being said I'm not complaining at all, Cole was awesome when he could keep up. He went through a major regression post-lockout though and is often lost and confused now, CBC did the right thing by bringing him down the ladder.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:39 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
Komisarek has looked and played better than Schenn in my opinion. Schenn has been awful and slow lately.
I can't really disagree with that from this pre-season. Komisarek has been pretty good lately, and Schenn has had trouble with decision making, and just looks really slow out there.

However, it means so little in the long run that I won't get worried about it.

Old
09-24-2011, 10:39 PM
A.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
I am a Leaf fan and yes Bob Cole was a Leaf homer
Not trying to be mean, but....

If your a Leafs fan, then you should know that Bob Cole is an admitted Habs fan, been one all of his life.

A.J.  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:41 PM
spidergoalie

I think Gus looked shaky and nervous in the first, and the 1st goal was at least in part due to his over sliding, however I felt he got stronger and looked more confident as the game went on and finished really strong.

Still it almost feels to me like he is playing desperate and panicky all the time, and predictably this results in some impressive flashy saves, but also over movement and mental mistakes, and of course high emotion.
Maybe he just came with too much hype? I mean "best goalie not in the NHL" was the most over-used cliche of the summer of 2009. I just feel like his main obstacle is his lack of calm control.

Anyway, all in all a good strong game from him tonight and as I said, I thought he looked more confident the more the game went on.

Regarding Bob Cole. I know the story is he is a habs fan, but through the nineties when he and Harry covered all the Leafs games on cbc, if you asked a fan of any other team...including the habs, they would tell you he was a huge Leafs homer.
Out here in BC most people I know are not Leaf fans and they all complained about this. Of course the bigger complaint is that he is senile.

oh and yes....Healy is an idiot and the only part of HNIC I didn't miss over the summer.

spidergoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:41 PM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

Quote:
Komi I think has more to prove right now and he knows that he isn't a lock, so he's pushing and trying to make a case. Schenn knows he's a lock and I think he's got the mentality of "it's just preseason" on the mind. I know it's not right, but to these guys that are roster locks, they're just trying to get comfortable and loose out there again and find their legs. Luke still has time to work on those things to get ready for the season.

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuzzo View Post
Komi I think has more to prove right now and he knows that he isn't a lock, so he's pushing and trying to make a case. Schenn knows he's a lock so he's not fully engaging. I know it's not right, but to these guys that are roster locks, they're just trying to get comfortable and loose out there again and find their legs. Luke still has time to work on those things to get ready for the season.
I've watched Schenn, even if he wasn't trying, he just looks flat out slow and his first pass has been awful and missing his teammates.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
Schenn was covering the man who was down low on his side...Boyce is the one that came all the way down to help Schenn with his man.
Regardless, Schenn's play has been worse than awful.

Good thing its just preseason

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:43 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
I've watched Schenn, even if he wasn't trying, he just looks flat out slow and his first pass has been awful and missing his teammates.
Which is weird because he actually has a great first pass.

Old
09-24-2011, 10:45 PM
ryno23

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
Not trying to be mean, but....

If your a Leafs fan, then you should know that Bob Cole is an admitted Habs fan, been one all of his life.
Yes I know Cole is a Habs fan but take this from a guy who has met him and had a conversation over a couple of pops he is indeed a Leafs homer and that has been verified by his long time partner Harry Neale while we were golfing in his foursome at a charity event.

He did Leaf game for how many years? while he may not admit publicly he was always rooting for Toronto to win on Saturday night well unless playing MTL