HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PIT] Boris Valabik; CLEARED: Avery, Gillies, King.

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2011, 09:40 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Because today wasn't a deadline for waivers.
Yup - it's only the first day that players can be waived for loans.

They can be waived up until the day before the last day of training camp (so they clear waivers before the end of camp) and still be loaned prior to the start of the regular season - when the cap accounting rules change.

Old
09-24-2011, 09:56 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Why did Buffalo re-acquire Kotalic in the off season, especially with that big salary ?
For Calgary's 2nd round pick.

Old
09-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Likely a condition required by the Flames in order for them to agree to trade Regher to the Sabres.

In other words, in order for the deal to ber completed, they had to agree to assume Calgary's $3mil deadwood.
Absolutely correct.

If we wanted Regehr and the 2nd, we had to take Kotalik back with them, which we did. The Flames didn't make that trade to get just Butler and Byron; they got cap flexibility too, since they traded both Regehr and Kotalik and their contracts with them.

Old
09-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Absolutely correct.

If we wanted Regehr and the 2nd, we had to take Kotalik back with them, which we did. The Flames didn't make that trade to get just Butler and Byron; they got cap flexibility too, since they traded both Regehr and Kotalik and their contracts with them.
Exactly. At the time, it was thought the Kotalik and a 2nd part were simply what it took to get the cap hit off the Flames books, though it has since been revised to be Byron for the pick. Either way, it's Pegula using his biggest available resource (cash) to help Regier do the GM job.

09-24-2011, 10:22 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

But I thought Terry Pegula was a penny pincher and Buffalo would have to package their first round picks and top prospects for the next decade to move that salary...

Old
09-24-2011, 10:50 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Because today wasn't a deadline for waivers.
I understand that but why wait? we know he's not making the team everybody does. I mean unless literally every single D man on the marlies goes down with an injury finger will not see ONE MINUTE of regular season NHL action

Old
09-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
I'd claim Valentenko if i'm a team like Nashville, NYI, Florida, Anaheim, or even Columbus.
Why? He's ****ing terrible. Beyond garbage in pre-season. He was expected to compete for a spot and showed that he is NOT a NHL caliber player.

Old
09-24-2011, 11:05 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why? He's ****ing terrible. Beyond garbage in pre-season. He was expected to compete for a spot and showed that he is NOT a NHL caliber player.
Pre-season and training camp is a pretty small sample-size to completely write off a player as being able to play in the NHL, ESPECIALLY a young player that has shown ability in the past... didn't he have an absolutely FANTASTIC training camp last year?

What's the harm in another team seeing if he's a fit? He's young, and until a month ago was a valuable commodity. If I'm a team like Edmonton, Florida, Columbus, Minnesota... teams that clearly lack young talent on the blueline, I take that chance every day of the week. What's the worst that happens: you just put him back on waivers.

I can't see Valentenko going unclaimed... too much there to not at least get an up-close look for free.

Old
09-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
Too bad what is going on here with some of these guys. It is not because they are all non Nhl calibre players, it is just that their salaries are 'too high' because of the stupid salary cap. Cost certainty certainly costs eh? In this case it may cost some guys their NHL careers.
I think I'm getting the joke.

Old
09-24-2011, 11:19 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yeah, from all accounts, he had a pretty bad preseason. But, he looked good last year in the AHL over a much longer span. I don't understand giving up on a guy because he had a bad two weeks.

Old
09-24-2011, 11:23 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Yeah, from all accounts, he had a pretty bad preseason. But, he looked good last year in the AHL over a much longer span. I don't understand giving up on a guy because he had a bad two weeks.
Valatenko has the tools, but I don't think he'd ever crack the Rangers roster. And I could see him playing well on a defense like Nashville. People were righting Grabner off as well when he got waived.

Old
09-24-2011, 11:50 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
What's the harm in another team seeing if he's a fit? He's young, and until a month ago was a valuable commodity. If I'm a team like Edmonton, Florida, Columbus, Minnesota... teams that clearly lack young talent on the blueline, I take that chance every day of the week. What's the worst that happens: you just put him back on waivers.
Uh, what? The problem with the Oilers it the blueline is too young, not the lack of talent.

As for him dominating the AHL? Who cares. Totally different league where deficient skating and lower hockey IQ can be acceptable.

If you are a believer in Moneypuck(i.e Moneyball for Hockey or Mike Gillis's philosophy) then "tools but no toolbox" is something you avoid ASAP.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:05 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so Buffalo not messing around, Kotalik and Morrison coming off the cap

Wonder if Morrison gets picked up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Kotalik/Morrisonn being waived = No more "Buffalo is in cap trouble let's get Hecht/Boyes/Gaustad/Pominville for junk" threads
That fact deserves more than just a ......

It deserves a , , , and

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
hoping the isles pick up Morrisonn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan17 View Post
Really hoping that Isles pick up Morrissonn.
When I posed a question on their Board several weeks back about what interest or need the Isles may have for Morrisonn, it seemed unanimous by Islander fans that Morrisonn was of no value or needed. I couldn't understand the response, when I look at their depth chart on defense. Morrisonn would easily be at least a # 5 on the Islanders' team IMO.

Old
09-25-2011, 03:38 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

It deserves a , , , and

When I posed a question on their Board several weeks back about what interest or need the Isles may have for Morrisonn, it seemed unanimous by Islander fans that Morrisonn was of no value or needed. I couldn't understand the response, when I look at their depth chart on defense. Morrisonn would easily be at least a # 5 on the Islanders' team IMO.
Not to mention Jurcina, who was a teammate of Morrisonn's in Washington, has worked out well for the Islanders. They might want to give Morrisonn a shot.

Old
09-25-2011, 04:36 AM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

It deserves a , , , and

in regards to your question, trading something of value for Morrisonn is something NYI would not do nor need to. Now picking him up on waivers is a different story. I do think Morrisonn if picked up is playing for the 6-7th spot against Mottau and Staios. He would not easily be #5.

I hope NYI pick him up to give him a look

Old
09-25-2011, 05:50 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Go Holland pickup Godard he is exactly what we need.

Old
09-25-2011, 07:08 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
Pre-season and training camp is a pretty small sample-size to completely write off a player as being able to play in the NHL, ESPECIALLY a young player that has shown ability in the past... didn't he have an absolutely FANTASTIC training camp last year?

I can't see Valentenko going unclaimed... too much there to not at least get an up-close look for free.
Florida lacks young talent on the blueline???? Where do you see that? They have Kulikov who's just 20 yrs old in their top 4 and both Ellerby and Gudbranson are expected to make the roster. But both of them will be fighting for icetime after Tallon brought in Jovo & Campbell to be top 4 guys. And if you look further down the depth chart, the Panthers have Robak in the AHL and Petrovic looked good in camp. The Panthers are an extremely deep team at probably all positions except maybe center, and they really only need an upgrade on their top line so Weiss can play a more natural 2nd line.

Old
09-25-2011, 08:43 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Florida lacks young talent on the blueline???? Where do you see that? They have Kulikov who's just 20 yrs old in their top 4 and both Ellerby and Gudbranson are expected to make the roster. But both of them will be fighting for icetime after Tallon brought in Jovo & Campbell to be top 4 guys. And if you look further down the depth chart, the Panthers have Robak in the AHL and Petrovic looked good in camp. The Panthers are an extremely deep team at probably all positions except maybe center, and they really only need an upgrade on their top line so Weiss can play a more natural 2nd line.
I just meant that there are still a lot of teams with question marks at their #6 spot who are trying to maybe fill it with a vet who isn't a long-term answer at the position, or an late-20-something guy who has already had 3 or 4 "second chances" and is just a stop-gap.

In Florida, I just forgot that Gudbranson was actually going to play in the NHL this year, and that Keaton Ellerby is still in the mix there, I believe... so that's my bad. I always forget about Ellerby... is that normal?

But there are definitely other teams who could easily justify rolling the dice on Valentenko.

Carolina are running Joslin and Bryan Allan as their 5-6... Valentenko could definitely fit in there if teams like the skillset and are willing to take a chance on him. Columbus has 35-year-old Martinek as their #6, I believe. Valentenko would definitely provide an upgrade in young D talent. Edmonton could definitely use a player of his skillset on the back end, they need defensive skill on D and at the very least, are in a situation where they can take a chance on talent when it doesn't cost them anything. Minnesota have Spurgeon and Lundin I think as their 5-6 pair... tell me Valentenko can't sneak into their top-6.

I'm just saying, there are lots of places where, if you see Valentenko's bad training camp as just a slump, and assume he can play the way he did last year, the guy can play. He's young & cheap, and has shown the ability to play quality hockey at a position that is always in demand. Guaranteed he gets a shot SOMEWHERE.

Old
09-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

Really too bad about Redden, solid NHL player.

Old
09-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

UPDATE!

DavidAlter590 David Alter
Finger, Zigomanis, Caputi, and Ryan all placed on waivers.
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Old
09-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Thricecube

Ortmeyer from the Wild on waivers.

Old
09-25-2011, 11:39 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Not to mention Jurcina, who was a teammate of Morrisonn's in Washington, has worked out well for the Islanders. They might want to give Morrisonn a shot.
Those two had actually had very good chemistry, at least initially. They're both originally Bruins products but I can't remember if they ever played together in that system.

Old
09-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
UPDATE!

If they are eligible to be claimed. The Penguins should try to claim Zigomanis or Caputi or both.

Old
09-25-2011, 11:41 AM
A.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
UPDATE!

FYI, that's Ryan Hamilton, not Kenny Ryan on waivers.

Old
09-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Full list: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376709

Closed Thread