HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Neil pots one late as sens win 3-2

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Manny*

vCash: 500
Hey guys. Good game tonight.

I'll offer some thoughts from a Sens fan's perspective. Obviously I wasn't always focussed on Montreal players, but there were some guys I noticed throughout the game.

Nathan Beaulieu, I thought was pretty good. You can't expect too much from a kid his age except flashes of what he may offer in the future. He wasn't always effective, but he was certainly creative and often had the right idea in the offensive zone. His execution will improve, but he's a guy who can create offence and has a good head on his shoulders.

Price looked extremely calm in goal. A few minutes in, I asked myself if anybody would be able to beat him. Save percentage aside, he looked dominant. The kind of goalie that will frustrate opposing players because he's never fazed.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachorella View Post
Personally, I feel JM prefers right now Engqvist, withe. He's also liking lately dumont.
People debating if Beaulieau is nhl ready. If he is , or he isn't, there' s defensemen ahead of him in the prospect chart, that should be given a chance before him like emylin, weber, diaz...so couple of years of junior + ahl won't hurt.
OMG! I don't think you can call this a typo, it's more like a greasy mother-in-law!

Last edited by Aspirine: 09-25-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Taking this to my profile!
Old
09-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
Today's lineup looks pretty good. I hope Yemelin knows how much we hate the Bruins.
And then we'll have Yemelin smash as many Bruins players as he can?

Old
09-25-2011, 12:14 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Hey guys. Good game tonight.

I'll offer some thoughts from a Sens fan's perspective. Obviously I wasn't always focussed on Montreal players, but there were some guys I noticed throughout the game.

Nathan Beaulieu, I thought was pretty good. You can't expect too much from a kid his age except flashes of what he may offer in the future. He wasn't always effective, but he was certainly creative and often had the right idea in the offensive zone. His execution will improve, but he's a guy who can create offence and has a good head on his shoulders.

Price looked extremely calm in goal. A few minutes in, I asked myself if anybody would be able to beat him. Save percentage aside, he looked dominant. The kind of goalie that will frustrate opposing players because he's never fazed.
Good stuff.

Da Costa is really impressive, strong in the circle, imaginative offensively. Works hard too. Could develop well this as he's probably slotted as your 2nd center behind Spezza.

One of my favourites prospects from the sens, Regin, disappointed me tonight, after such a great rookie campaign what happened to him?

I don't think Rundblad is ready for the big show yet, maybe in December.

Cowen seems ready though, Wocowiecky or w/e that guy's name is, came out of nowhere (for me) and stood out, tough kid, and a stud defensively.

I Didn't notice the Z too much tonight unfortunately.

Condra impressed me tonight.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:23 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I like this archambault kid. Its the first time I've seen him and I think he already has nhl level speed and his vision looks very good along with having slick hands and a robust style. I think this kid is going to end up being a steal. I'm very excited about him.

Price looks like he slowly rounding into form, and palushaj had his best appearance so far.

Beaulieu once again showed off his offensive instincts. This might be a kid that we look back at wonder how he didnt go in the top 5-10 in the draft. I cant wait to see him in a couple years.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:29 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
There's no smoke without a fire as they say... I had good connections with the Foreurs and they told me he was thinking he was the ****, that he was better than the others and he didn't want to play the system as much as other forwards.

My connection with the voltigeurs told me he came with the same cocky attitude at their camp. He was recently drafted by the habs but whatever. I think Drummondville has a top organization for kids and their offensive system will help him thrive, they will also tone his character down but the rumors about his attitude were true from what I was told. He's not a bust yet though, and I think that with Ricard and co he'll be a better person/player after his junior stage.
The NHL always interviews these kids to get a better feeling for them, I'm sure Timmins, Gauthier and Martin must have felt he could be worked with. Sometimes it is a maturity thing. He was drafted 1st overall in the Q after dominating the AAA Midget league and also dominating in the Under 17's for Team Quebec, probably thought he would dominate the league and thought he would demand top ice time and not have to do the defensive responsibilities.

Habs probably will work with him between the ears, and he probably got humbled pretty quick falling in the NHL draft and getting traded twice in the Q this off season.

He puts it together, we have Gallagher 2.0

Old
09-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I like this archambault kid. Its the first time I've seen him and I think he already has nhl level speed and his vision looks very good along with having slick hands and a robust style. I think this kid is going to end up being a steal. I'm very excited about him.

Price looks like he slowly rounding into form, and palushaj had his best appearance so far.

Beaulieu once again showed off his offensive instincts. This might be a kid that we look back at wonder how he didnt go in the top 5-10 in the draft. I cant wait to see him in a couple years.
If Beaulieu ended up in the Devils' hands at #8 rather than to us at #17 (that is, had the Devils not won that draft lottery that landed them Larsson) then Beaulieu would probably have had an outside chance to make the big Devils team.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:32 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
The NHL always interviews these kids to get a better feeling for them, I'm sure Timmins, Gauthier and Martin must have felt he could be worked with. Sometimes it is a maturity thing. He was drfted 1st overall in the Q after dominating the AAA Midget league and also dominating in the Under 17's for Team Quebec.

Habs probably will work with him between the ears, he probably got humbled pretty quick falling in the NHL draft and getting traded twice in the Q this off season.
That's what I hope buddy, that's what we all hope...

I'm just reporting what I've heard from REALLY reliable sources. He's not an angel for his coaches, he's a special specimen but I think that Drummondville is the perfect place for him to thrive... Especially if Couturier and Palat are being sent down. He has the skill, just like many other busts, he just needs to screw his head on straight. I think he can become a pretty good contributer for this team... He didn't get picked first overall in the Q draft because he was cute after all...

Old
09-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go View Post
Not sure if anyone has posted yet..but this is tomorrow's lineup according to Renaud Lavoie..

Cole - Gomez - Gallagher
Avtsin - Engqvist - Kostitsyn
Palushaj - Archambault - Darche
Blunden - Willsie - Masse/Lefebvre

Yemelin - Weber
Gill - Beaulieu
Henry - Ellis

Budaj (60 Mins)
Mayer
I'll be keenly watching gallagher, archambault, beaulieu, ellis, and yemelin to a certain extent. Avtsin with akost could be something nice to watch too.

I still hope to see bournival at some point. Its a shame he cant go.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:37 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'll be keenly watching gallagher, archambault, beaulieu, ellis, and yemelin to a certain extent. Avtsin with akost could be something nice to watch too.

I still hope to see bournival at some point. Its a shame he cant go.
Agreed... same about Leblanc.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:45 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:

I'm just reporting what I've heard from REALLY reliable sources. He's not an angel for his coaches, he's a special specimen but I think that Drummondville is the perfect place for him to thrive... Especially if Couturier and Palat are being sent down. He has the skill, just like many other busts, he just needs to screw his head on straight. I think he can become a pretty good contributer for this team... He didn't get picked first overall in the Q draft because he was cute after all...
Exactly.

He wouldn't be the first player to have the skill set, but waste it cause of cockiness or a feeling owed type of personality.

Being only 18, I think it probably can get nipped in the bud really quick. Its one thing to feel that way, but if you feel your the best and your cocky, you have to prove it and prove it without hurting your team.

Sure Drummondville feels they have the right situation and coaching staff to make the player be what he can be, and help him mature into a player for his team, not himself at the same time still developing and improving on his game too.

And like I said, the Habs are smart when looking at these later round picks. They know how to handle them and see something that other teams don't, or other teams are willing to risk on.

Your sources are probably right. The kid played his way out of Val'Dor, but he can now right the ship and show why he was a 1st overall pick ahead of players like Huberdeau.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:47 AM
RE-HABS

I knew Leblanc was hurt and more than likely won't play any pre-season, is Bournival injured too?

Was wondering where he was.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:37 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Just watched on my DVR. New Jersey Devils type boring. None of the rookies stood out. Hopefully we ice a better roster tomorrow.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:41 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Too many pre season games, and especially 4 games in 4 nite is just plain stupid... But Molson wants to pack his Bell Centre and sell beer and hot dogs....

$$$$ over real hockey training and teaching.
I dont know what is the big deal, it must be because we are down 1-3 so far in pre season, big deal lol

We have the chance to see some very yound kids in action, getting some very nice experience playing in front of a stacked Bell center, it must be an incredible experience for most of them.. They can also compare their game to the NHL guys and get a better idea of what they have to work on to play in the big league one day.. I can understand your impatience to see the full roster in action and your displeasure to lose games, but its not like we made several changes in the off season and that our NHL guys need to know each others, aside Cole and Yemelin, thats basically the same line-up as last year.. If you dont like the formula in place, just dont watch til the roster is trimmed, personally I enjoy watching how the younger guys react at this level.

Old
09-25-2011, 02:35 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Went to both games in Ottawa and in Montreal.

Gallagher was fun to watch. He could be really good one day.

Beaulieu was really good in the 1st peroid. Didn't notice him too much in the rest of the game. But showed flashes of great offensive potential, and he wasn't a liability in his own end so I guess that's a pretty good sign.

Archambault was really shifty. Had some real nice plays. A lot like Gallagher, he was fun to watch.

Palushaj had a good game with Cammy.

Anyways, I found the games really fun to watch. It was my first time at the Bell Center (To see an NHL game, anyways) and the atmosphere was great. I got a lot of dirty looks when I stood up and cheered when Neil scored, though. It seemed like there were only 5 Sens fans there

Old
09-25-2011, 04:25 AM
costathing

Everytime pierre was calling desimone..In my head I was hearing Vic damone !!.. haha .. come on people chris tucker..moneytalk

Old
09-25-2011, 04:52 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
dacosta is impressive.

Old
09-25-2011, 06:13 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
My 3 stars among the prospects:

1-Beaulieu: He's a player. Everything's there. Just a few kinks to fix adapting to the NHL game.

2-Palushaj: He's had struggles, but tonight he showed nice things. Nice speed, passes, finding open lanes, nice defensive plays...

3-Archambault: He had some nice flashes. He has skills, self-confidence and managed to make himself noticeable despite not being featured on the top-2 lines.

HM-Dumont: Intense, gritty...
Your last three are the ones who impressed me the most last night. Big bounce back game from Palushaj, showed a lot more intensity and speed..really made some strong plays in his own end. It's efforts like those that will gain him some NHL looks, perhaps this season if he can find consistency effort-wise.

I was waiting for someone to mention Archambault - very skilled and displayed great vision - made some excellent passes, and he's very quick. Worked pretty hard too. This kid has some potential.

Dumont is going to play in the NHL, and soon. A couple of years back when I used to talk regularly to Guy Boucher in Drummondville, he could never fawning over Dumont..how he never stopped working, and was full of character. That was on full display last night - going to be nice to see him and Leblanc in the lineup someday soon - I have a felling they will be bring Bell Centre crowds to their feet often with their work ethics.

Old
09-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
What systems are you exactly talking about here?

The players know Martin, and Martin's gameplan by now. Preseason is time to work out the kinks and get into game shape.

It is also an opportunity to get your young kids into game type situations and evaluate them.

The team will practice together when the cuts are made.

You still haven't even displayed why playing so many games is detrimental.

Basically, you are not making any sense whatsoever.
Another thing is that the Habs are one of the few teams that don't play in a rookie tournament, instead choosing to teach the young prospects the system. |vets already know the system...thus, in my opinion, the more exhibition games they play the better. A great experience for young prospects, a great way to get in game shape, and a great chance for the fans to see upcoming talent.

Old
09-25-2011, 06:41 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:

You're not incorrect - he did have some attitude issues in Val D'Or, and it's one of the reasons he was traded, but this was a 16-year-old kid picked first overall...not the first young lad with an over-developed sense of self worth and won't be the last. Being traded should have been a wake-up call for him...he now knows he wasn't bigger than the team, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him mature quickly. Mike Hoffman is a good example of a kid who wore out his welcome with TWO organizations..and almost two leagues, before ending up in Drummondville and turning his attitude around

Timmins and co. heard the talk... but they also saw the talent. After trading down for a third pick in the 4th round, it was decided to take a chance on him..then they took a hands on approach and brought him into Montreal to work with NHLers this summer.

Based on what I saw from him last night...he's catching on. Looks like a very good prospect, and I expect a big year from him production-wise.

Good article in the Globe last week...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2164965/

Last edited by Grant McCagg: 09-25-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old
09-25-2011, 07:22 AM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I was talking about all of our preseason games up to now. I also said SHOULD. If we weren't so weak on defense Spacek and Woywitka wouldn't even be considered.
Oh come on, Spacek is definitely an NHL calibre defender. He's having a good camp, much better than last year, and if his contract wasn't on the high side I doubt there's near as many complaints. Spacek is a top 6 Dman on any NHL squad, while Woywitka will try and make it as a top 6 Dman in the AHL.

Looking forward to Spacek having a good season, eating a lot of minutes for the Habs and proving his detractors wrong.

Old
09-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Fozz

Aside from the obvious...

I hope they sign DeSimone. There's definitely potential there. Smart player with ok size, good effort level and decent speed.

I likes St-Denis as well. I don't recall seeing him take a bad decision in both preseason games he played.

Old
09-25-2011, 09:11 AM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Confirmed lines for tonight.

Cole - Gomez - Gallagher
Kostitsyn - Willsie - Palushaj
Blunden - Engqvist - Darche
Avtsin - Masse - Archambault

What a waste of time with the Masses, Willsies, etc ...

Really a shame we can't see Leblanc, Eller, White.. would have definitely made for some more interesting rosters from time to time..instead of just having one capable line every game..

Ill be rooting for Gallagher! Comon kid, pot one !!!

Old
09-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Protest the Hero

I don't know if it's a good thing, or bad thing that Archambault completely outclassed Avtsin in his first game. I only make that comparison because they play similar games.

Also, I don't speak french but my god, Marc Denis speaks incredibly quickly.

Old
09-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Are you talking top3 on the roster or top3 as Norris candidate? If it's the latter, prepare to be disapointed..
As in a top 3 defender on ones own team.

Closed Thread