Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jamie Benn's Next Contract

Old
09-25-2011, 12:22 AM
Rune Forumwalker

vCash: 500
Quote:
That's a valid point but don't tell me he's more important (ie more productive) than Benn will be this season.
I never said Turris is more productive than Benn, which it is obvious he is not at this point and questionable if he ever will be.

Quote:
I think the team that misses the guy becoming a star (Benn) is far more important than the team missing the hit or miss player (because he alone, even if he has 50+ points, isn't going to score Phoenix to victory).
In regards to Phoenix and Turris, you can't miss what you don't have. So that's true.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Why would a contract like that be structured to pay him more up front? If anything I'd imagine it would have an escalating salary, not the other way around.
I meant he probably shouldn't earn 4 million next year but 3 seasons from now he should be paid more than the 4 million he'll receive if he signed that contract. See Tavares, he'll probably get more money next season than his actual on ice contribution merits but three seasons from now his contract, especially buying out 2 FA years, will look like a complete steal. My hypothetical 6/$27 million would pay him 4.5 every year.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:45 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I meant he probably shouldn't earn 4 million next year but 3 seasons from now he should be paid more than the 4 million he'll receive if he signed that contract. See Tavares, he'll probably get more money next season than his actual on ice contribution merits but three seasons from now his contract, especially buying out 2 FA years, will look like a complete steal. My hypothetical 6/$27 million would pay him 4.5 every year.
Most contracts for younger players aren't structured that way though. For example, Tavares' salary (not cap hit) next season is 4 mil, then 5, then 6, 6, 6, 6. Eriksson's current contract escalated similarly.

From a fan standpoint I think we can get too caught up in the cap hit whereas a player is more concerned with his bank account. If I'm one of these guys I would prefer to make a smaller amount at 23/24 followed by a significant bump through years 25-27.

In any case, I would be ecstatic if we got Benn signed for 6/$27 million.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Most contracts for younger players aren't structured that way though. For example, Tavares' salary (not cap hit) next season is 4 mil, then 5, then 6, 6, 6, 6. Eriksson's current contract escalated similarly.

From a fan standpoint I think we can get too caught up in the cap hit whereas a player is more concerned with his bank account. If I'm one of these guys I would prefer to make a smaller amount at 23/24 followed by a significant bump through years 25-27.

In any case, I would be ecstatic if we got Benn signed for 6/$27 million.
Well these days and quite frankly any day, a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. So in Benn's case he'd rather have the money evenly distributed than an incremental increase. He may get a rising deal but that's not the best financially structured deal.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 03:35 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
He may get a rising deal but that's not the best financially structured deal.
My main point is that those types are most common and thus what we can expect, should he and the club agree to a deal longer than two years.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:01 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
My main point is that those types are most common and thus what we can expect, should he and the club agree to a deal longer than two years.
Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but I thought that the Stars' ownership situation (or lack thereof) led to those contracts. Fewer dollars now without an owner for more dollars later with an owner. Looking it up, Robidas and Lehtonen have similar structures with increasing annual salary in subsequent years.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:03 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but I thought that the Stars' ownership situation (or lack thereof) led to those contracts. Fewer dollars now without an owner for more dollars later with an owner. Looking it up, Robidas and Lehtonen have similar structures with increasing annual salary in subsequent years.
Tavares
Kopitar
Giroux
Getzlaf
Ryan
JVR
Parise
Backstrom (Caps)
J Staal
E Staal

All of the above players at some point signed escalating contracts. In looking up players I came across a few who had one big first year salary then static at a slightly lower cost for the remainder of their contracts, but for the most part young'ish players tend to sign deal that pay them handsomely in the short term and big time fat cash in the back half of their deals. For example, Eric Staal's deal paid him 6 mil the first season and goes up to 9.5 in the final year of the contract (2015-16).

Those Stars contracts you mentioned may have been influenced by the financial state of the club but looking beyond our borders it looks like those deals are pretty much par for the course, especially in the Eriksson case.

Old
09-26-2011, 10:34 PM
ScubaSteve*

Couture and Marchard should be the benchmark contracts for Jamie Benn. Not Tavares.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:35 PM
ScubaSteve*

Couture and Marchand should be the benchmark contracts for Benn. Not Tavares.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:53 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?

vCash: 131
blolz

Brad Marchand? Are you serious? You think Benn is going to be limited to 2.5 million per. Right.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:24 PM
glovesave_35
Name

And Couture's contract is a legitimate sweetheart contract.

Old
11-07-2011, 12:50 AM
JesusNPucks

So, anyone ready to re-visit this issue now that Benn is in full tail-kicking mode? I still think GM Joe should try to get him on the same conract that Eriksson signed.

JesusNPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:02 AM
Brand New Stars

I absolutely hate the giant term contracts but Dallas should see if Benn would be interested in a 10 year contract.

I couldn't stand to see him on any other team.

Last edited by Brand New Stars: 11-07-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:18 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
I absolutely hate the giant term contracts but Dallas should see if Benn would be interested in a 10 year contract.

I couldn't stand to see him on any other team.
There is a middle ground; it doesn't have to be two years or ten. It will be interesting to see but my feelings on these things don't really change, if the player likes it here they will sign a reasonable deal. Loui clearly feels comfortable here and he valued stability over top dollar. I'm hopeful Benn realizes that it's a pretty good situation, especially with Loui being signed long term.