HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs @ Sabres...

Old
09-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
RealKyperNick Kypreos

#Sabres Boyes called to carpet for head hit vs #Leafs. Word out of Buff is he has a scheduled #NHL hearing today. And the beat goes on...

I thought this might happen.
What head hit is this referring to? The one against Colborne at the beginning of the game that wasnt called?

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
What head hit is this referring to? The one against Colborne at the beginning of the game that wasnt called?
yes i think so. it was a blatant elbow that was completely unnoticed. they played a replay of it and it looked brutal and the announcers didnt even say anything other than big hit by boyes. cbc is really starting to bug me.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:46 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
Yeah, it's unbelievable what's happened to this poor, poor kid. Can you imagine what it must have been like being blindfolded and handcuffed and dragged to Allaire goaltending clinics before he was a Leaf, then being waterboarded into signing a contract with the Leafs knowing full well Allaire was the goaltending coach? No wonder he's had heart trouble. Call The Hague! Send in the Marine Corps!

Instead of your typical babbling why don't you actual respond to a post . If you think it's that easy to change your goaltending style in your 20's then you've never played the game .

Last edited by ULF_55: 09-25-2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: OT comment
hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:50 AM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Do you have mental issues?

Instead of your typical babbling why don't you actual respond to a post . If you think it's that easy to change your goaltending style in your 20's then you've never played the game .
Gustavsson came here specifically to work with Allaire. If he didn't want to change his style then he could've gone to the other teams who were trying to nab him. That's all he's saying.

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:58 AM
dubey
Registered Genius

Quote:
Do you have mental issues?

Have you played the game? Please share your experiences with us!!!

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:01 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
Gustavsson came here specifically to work with Allaire. If he didn't want to change his style then he could've gone to the other teams who were trying to nab him. That's all he's saying.
I never said Gusto had a problem with Allaire . While Gusto may have wanted to work with Allaire the fact is it's very difficult to change the style you've been playing your entire life and thats all i was saying . Not having a num 1 goalie on the team helps in convincing UFA's to come here as well . Hopefully that wil change by the end of this year .

Old
09-25-2011, 10:04 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Have you played the game? Please share your experiences with us!!!
Since you disagree with me maybe you can explain how easy it is to change your style when your in your mid 20's .

Old
09-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Courage*

Quote:
... it's very difficult to change the style you've been playing your entire life and thats all i was saying...
No, that's not ALL you said at all. You said,

Quote:
This is the problem i have with Allaire as our goaltending coach .
Quite clearly your point wasn't simply that it's hard to make changes in your 20s - which is highly debatable as it is - but that somehow Allaire should be criticized for forcing changes onto Gustavsson. Good attempt to shift the discussion when you're on the back foot, however. Though I suspect it was more a mental lapse than a deliberate tactic.

Last edited by Courage*: 09-25-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Since you disagree with me maybe you can explain how easy it is to change your style when your in your mid 20's .
You made the claim, you back it up.

Here, I'll get things rolling with a story of a very good goaltender who seems to think that he can make big changes in his game in his 20s: http://ingoalmag.com/news/luongo-gro...-huge-changes/

Quote:
For a workhorse goalie that typically struggles in October and has talked in the past about needing to play his way into rhythm, that might seem concerning. But the bigger issue is taking a week off and playing just five periods of preseason hockey while at the same time trying to make what Luongo himself called “a huge change” to his style under new full-time goaltending coach Roland Melanson

SNIP

“It’s not going to happen overnight. Obviously you play the game a certain way for many years and to make a change like that is going to take time,” he said. ”I’ve always had that mindset a little bit except that I’ve always played a different way. So as long as things go well, I don’t have a problem with it.”
How's it feel to be fed your lunch by a guy with mental problems?

Old
09-25-2011, 10:13 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
No, that's not ALL you said at all. You said,

Quite clearly your point wasn't simply that it's hard to make changes in your 20s - which is highly debatable as it is - but that somehow Allaire should be criticized for forcing changes onto Gustavsson. Good attempt to shift the discussion when you're on the back foot, however.

And you want to accuse me of mental lapses?
I said i had the problem not Gusto and i still stand by my statement thats it very difficult to change your system in your 20's while your trying to win games in the NHL.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:15 AM
TheProspector

Another evening skulking out of the HSBC (err, First Niagara) Arena after a Leafs loss.

TheProspector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:19 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Here, I'll get things rolling with a story of a very good goaltender who seems to think that he can make big changes in his game in his 20s: http://ingoalmag.com/news/luongo-gro...-huge-changes/
I wonder if changing his style caused some of his issues in the blow-out games in the playoffs with his natural tendencies coming to the surface while under pressure in the big games?

He was outspoken about his abilities with regards to some goals he would have stopped that beat Thomas.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:20 AM
ExtremeShooter
Rookie User

What is our roster count? Does anyone know...
Cheers

ExtremeShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Courage*

Quote:
I said i had the problem not Gusto and i still stand by my statement thats it very difficult to change your system in your 20's while your trying to win games in the NHL.
Another dishonest characterization of your original argument. I'll quote it yet again for your edification, as you seem to have trouble staying on topic:

Quote:
This is the problem i have with Allaire as our goaltending coach . I never played goal but i don't understand how you can change a goalies style when he's in his twenties , nevermind to do it on the fly while he's starting games ai the NHL .
Now, unless you're using some version of English grammar I'm unfamiliar with, this typically terrible piece of writing clearly suggests that it is Allaire who is forcing the changes.

That is a much different claim than the -- rather more benign -- point that "it's hard to make changes in your 20s."

Signed,

Joey Moss

Last edited by Courage*: 09-25-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old
09-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I wonder if changing his style caused some of his issues in the blow-out games in the playoffs with his natural tendencies coming to the surface while under pressure in the big games?

He was outspoken about his abilities with regards to some goals he would have stopped that beat Thomas.
Perhaps Melanson broke him. Of course, that simply ignores all the evidence for the rather more parsimonious theory that Luongo has never handled pressure well. The Chicago series from the previous year - prior to the changes - is just one example.

Last edited by Courage*: 09-25-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old
09-25-2011, 10:26 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
This is the problem i have with Allaire as our goaltending coach . I never played goal but i don't understand how you can change a goalies style when he's in his twenties , nevermind to do it on the fly while he's starting games ai the NHL .
Obviously, if Allaire only teaches one style, and that style is different than a goalies natural tendencies there could be an adjustment period.

If you are trying to learn that style during meaningful games it could cause bigger issues.

Hopefully Allaire brings more than just teaching "his" style to goaltenders.

If a carpenter has a hammer in his hand everything looks like a nail. If you hire a COBOL programmer you aren't likely to get JAVA.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Courage*

Well, perhaps dear Hotpaws has some evidence that Allaire has been heavy-handed with Gustavsson?

Old
09-25-2011, 10:30 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Perhaps Melanson broke him. Of course, that simply ignores all the evidence for the rather more parsimonious claim that Luongo has never handled pressure well. The Chicago series from the previous year - prior to the changes - is just one example.
So are you saying is Luongo can play multiple styles very well until the pressure gets turned up?

Old
09-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Oh and can someone tell me is it AM 640 where the Leafs games are on? HNIC has been ruined by listening to Simpson, Hugeson and Healy.

I am going to start a drinking game and every time of them say something negative about the Leafs I will take a shot......christ I better not do that cause I will be pissed by the the 18:00 mark of the first period.

I am a Leaf fan and yes Bob Cole was a Leaf homer but at least he did not cut up the other team during broadcast. Those clowns have ruined watching HNIC and I've been watching HNIC for 35 years.

We should start a petition and get them to remove Healy to start. I bet we as Leaf Nation can get it done. The CBC will listen to its bread and butter.

Dont know about anyone else, but I found myself missing the crappy Leaf TV cast last night. That CBC crew has gotten out of hand. Impartial commentary is one thing, but I dont pay my cable bill to listen to Simpson and Healy dissect every Leaf mistake and critisize the the team for absolutely everything.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
So are you saying is Luongo can play multiple styles very well until the pressure gets turned up?

Old
09-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
The horrible reality we have to accept this year is.... That Buffalo is going to be like really really good
If thats the case, then you have to like the fact we played them real close both games. They did look better, but we were in both games.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
If thats the case, then you have to like the fact we played them real close both games. They did look better, but we were in both games.
I wouldn't concede that the Sabres will be really really good just yet. Just because they are 4-0 in the preseason does not mean a thing. The Leafs were 4-0 to start the regular season last year, and what did that mean? Nothing. So who cares how good they look in the preseason?

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 View Post
Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Schenn
Liles-Franson
Komisarek

If that happens, then we have one godly D lineup. Esp. if Gardiner proves that he is what he is showing right now, and Schenn can come back to "human eraser" form, that pairing can wreck through teams (defensively and offensively).

I hope RW isn't too conservative this time and tries something about this.
So Aulie starts on the Marlies?

Old
09-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Gardiner has to stay on the team for at least the 9 game limit that rookies are afforded at the beginning of the season without a year coming off their ELC. He's earned it fair and square and being sent down just because of his age or experience would be foolish. He's looked great out there.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
So Aulie starts on the Marlies?
Yes. He's looked shaky out there and with our depth at D we can afford for him to be sent down for a bit. I have to say though Schenn has looked pretty bad so far this pre-season, guy needs to start playing like he knows how. He looks slow and confused out there.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote