HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Viewing (Providers, HD, Online, Etc)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-23-2011, 06:19 PM
  #101
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
Yes all corporations screw people...but if I'm going to get screwed I might as well pick the one who is giving me the best quality and service.
Not if you're a shareholder.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 06:19 PM
  #102
gluvhand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rockland County
Country: Greece
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
How is a cable company with local monopolies any different from a telephone company with local monopolies ?

If Verizon didn't have a captive customer base they would also be extinct. This is true of every former bell operation.

And with your argument about "public use" how does that not apply to a company like Verizon ? They have been subsidized and had their entire network build out paid for using tax dollars. If anything the Verizon network should be completely open to everyone for fair use, but guess what, it is not. Their entire network shoudl be open to 3rd parties but it hasn't been since 2004.

Actually I would argue that Dolan is somewhat savy. He is a content creator (MSG, sports teams etc) as well as a content provider (cablevision) so he controls content and delivery in a major US market. Cablevision has also been at the forefront recently with the time shifting and streaming via their iOS app and are willing to take heat and fight for that.

Everyone of these companies suck and have their failures.
The fact that CV is a provider and producer of content is actually kind of not savvy in this case. That's why they split MSG Network, on paper at least, from CV. They saw this coming and were trying to help their case. Obviously didn't work.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 06:41 PM
  #103
darrenturcotte#8
Registered User
 
darrenturcotte#8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
The fact that CV is a provider and producer of content is actually kind of not savvy in this case. That's why they split MSG Network, on paper at least, from CV. They saw this coming and were trying to help their case. Obviously didn't work.
Wrong, they spun off MSG because they want to sell it with the renovated building and both rebuilt teams on an upswing. They jacked up the season ticket prices for projected cash flow to add to an already bloated valuation. It's an acquisition target now that its in a nice neat little publicly traded package all by itself. Unfortunately, the capital markets have frozen again so the exit strategy is delayed. 2/1 odds JP Morgan would be the Investment Bank on the deal... F Dolan!

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:18 PM
  #104
gluvhand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rockland County
Country: Greece
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Wrong, they spun off MSG because they want to sell it with the renovated building and both rebuilt teams on an upswing. They jacked up the season ticket prices for projected cash flow to add to an already bloated valuation. It's an acquisition target now that its in a nice neat little publicly traded package all by itself. Unfortunately, the capital markets have frozen again so the exit strategy is delayed. 2/1 odds JP Morgan would be the Investment Bank on the deal... F Dolan!
I may be wrong as to the intent of the spin-off, even though an article I read at the time cited the spin-off as a benefit in the battle with Verizon, but the minute they started producing content they opened themselves up to exactly what's happening to them now.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 03:48 AM
  #105
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Not if you're a shareholder.
Trust me, they'll screw the shareholder when it warrants too.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 07:55 AM
  #106
biggs98
Registered User
 
biggs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Strong Island
Country: United States
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Um, is this not a message board for Rangers fans? Should we not applaud every decision that makes the enjoyment of Rangers games better for any segment of our user base?

Throw ON TOP of that the fact that ANYONE who has had both services will tell you unequivocally that FiOS is better (just look at this thread for examples)... and I honestly don't understand biggs98's complaints.

Seriously, dude, I call ********. You have some sort of material connection to CV that you're not disclosing - you're an employee, a shareholder... something.
The only connection I have to CV is that I've been a season ticket holder for the past 10 years and a lifelong Ranger fan. Yes this decision helps out the Ranger fans that have fios and good for you. My problem is that no matter what CV does people have issues with it. What they did with the channels is what any other company would do in that situation. I know I would. I hope all of you enjoy your new channel. Let's Go Rangers!!!

biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:32 AM
  #107
darrenturcotte#8
Registered User
 
darrenturcotte#8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
The only connection I have to CV is that I've been a season ticket holder for the past 10 years and a lifelong Ranger fan. Yes this decision helps out the Ranger fans that have fios and good for you. My problem is that no matter what CV does people have issues with it. What they did with the channels is what any other company would do in that situation. I know I would. I hope all of you enjoy your new channel. Let's Go Rangers!!!
The issue people have is that Jim Dolan is one of the worst human beings on the planet. So yea, just about anything that's good for him is a loss for the world. He's lived a self indulgent narcissistic life. I wish nothing but the worst to him and his company. His family is by far the majority shareholders. So I hope the whole company collapses. These aren't people who deserve anything less. I know elite super rich CEO's and entrepreneurs. They hold Jim Dolan in the same regard. Even one of his lawyers told me he's a piece of garbage...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 07:28 AM
  #108
RangersFan
Registered User
 
RangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: LA, CA & NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
any tips for switching to FIOS? I'm going to pull the trigger this week, FINALLY! What exactly will the technician be doing when he installs the service?

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 07:58 AM
  #109
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
any tips for switching to FIOS? I'm going to pull the trigger this week, FINALLY! What exactly will the technician be doing when he installs the service?
For me I had to wait a month to get an appointment..that's how booked they are.

Took about 7 hours in total. Obviously some stuff outside, but the big thing was installing the power/signal station inside...it's probably about '3 x '2. Then depending on how many TVs, what services you are getting they set everything up. I don't need ahome phone(waste of money..we all have cells anyway), but even without that it took awhile. They give you a WiFi router, setup one computer, etc. Not sure what else...oh they'll call you after to make sure you are happy.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 07:27 PM
  #110
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
I don't have FIOS but I'm happy for you guys that do. It's good for the public and bad for cablevision. Sounds like a win/win to me.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:53 PM
  #111
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
For me I had to wait a month to get an appointment..that's how booked they are.

Took about 7 hours in total. Obviously some stuff outside, but the big thing was installing the power/signal station inside...it's probably about '3 x '2. Then depending on how many TVs, what services you are getting they set everything up. I don't need ahome phone(waste of money..we all have cells anyway), but even without that it took awhile. They give you a WiFi router, setup one computer, etc. Not sure what else...oh they'll call you after to make sure you are happy.
How thick is this box?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:20 PM
  #112
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
How thick is this box?
maybe 4-5 inches ...but the other dimensions are in feet...you only need one...it's like a central hub...can be hidden away. the actual boxes in each room are normal sized.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:23 PM
  #113
Reijo R
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
any tips for switching to FIOS? I'm going to pull the trigger this week, FINALLY! What exactly will the technician be doing when he installs the service?
I wouldn't be so quick to order FiOS just yet. I hope I'm wrong (since I just got FiOS on 8/31) but I still don't see them getting MSG HD anytime soon. Dolan will just keep dragging this out with appeals and such.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:31 PM
  #114
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Make sure you have the inside box installed in your basement. Somewhere it can't be seen.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:15 PM
  #115
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,829
vCash: 500
Is there any other way for Dolan to drag this out?

When 30 days is up, is that it? does MSGHD HAVE to be offered to Verizon and AT&T?

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:34 PM
  #116
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!
 
Nekz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,123
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Is there any other way for Dolan to drag this out?

When 30 days is up, is that it? does MSGHD HAVE to be offered to Verizon and AT&T?
I believe there is a potential appeal process they will drag this on for months or possibly years. Gotta' wait and see.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:42 PM
  #117
Richard Brads
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
For me I had to wait a month to get an appointment..that's how booked they are.

Took about 7 hours in total. Obviously some stuff outside, but the big thing was installing the power/signal station inside...it's probably about '3 x '2. Then depending on how many TVs, what services you are getting they set everything up. I don't need ahome phone(waste of money..we all have cells anyway), but even without that it took awhile. They give you a WiFi router, setup one computer, etc. Not sure what else...oh they'll call you after to make sure you are happy.
wow, totally different experience from me.

i've ad fios installed i two different apts. one two years ago, the guys came and had to run the line from outside to install. that took about an hour and a half. they came on the day i requested at 9 am sharp.

about a month ago i got it in my new apt, again, guy came at 9 sharp day i requesed, but this time it only took about 30 mins - i think the guy before me had it. this was only about a week after the strike ended too

and like someone else said, make sure to keep the box somewhere hidden (closet worked for me)

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:03 AM
  #118
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
maybe 4-5 inches ...but the other dimensions are in feet...you only need one...it's like a central hub...can be hidden away. the actual boxes in each room are normal sized.
Thanks. Not too bad. And they run regular coax cables from this hub to the boxes in each room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Make sure you have the inside box installed in your basement. Somewhere it can't be seen.
If only I had a basement. At least I've got a decent size closet it could go in. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:02 AM
  #119
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekz View Post
I believe there is a potential appeal process they will drag this on for months or possibly years. Gotta' wait and see.
****, I was under the assumption that they already had appealed.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:55 AM
  #120
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
I'm not so sure this drags on; otherwise I don't see how the FCC can say they have 30 days and set a time table like that.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:36 AM
  #121
JaeTM
Registered User
 
JaeTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,228
vCash: 500
I really hope this doesn't go on for long and FiOS gets HD. It's been the only reason I've stayed with Cablevision.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:23 AM
  #122
indfin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
But depriving competitors access to an HD channel that you happen to own clearly doesn't stifle competition, right, Dolan? I can't believe Cablevision is arguing that there has been no competitive harm. Personally, I know tons of NY sports fans that have refused to switch to FIOS because they don't carry MSGHD, and for that reason alone. Tons of posters on these boards have complained about it as well.
Put aside any "anecdotal" evidence from complaints you may have heard about it. How about the fact that Cablevision has an entire ad campaign centered around the fact that they are "the only system that provides HD coverage of every NY-area sports team"?

If that isn't a competitive advantage, then why are they touting it as .... well .. a competitive advantage and a reason to prefer their system to all of the others?

Dopes.

indfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:56 AM
  #123
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Thanks. Not too bad. And they run regular coax cables from this hub to the boxes in each room?
Regular coax...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'm not so sure this drags on; otherwise I don't see how the FCC can say they have 30 days and set a time table like that.
I was thinking the same thing.... How could the FCC specify a 30 day time frame if everyone involved in the process knows Cablevision would just state they're appealing and thereby skirting the 30-day mandate for god knows how long? I was thinking they need to provide the feed while they are appealing... Kind of like in criminal court where you go to jail even if you plan to appeal the conviction. (and yes I know this isn't criminal court )

Quote:
Originally Posted by indfin View Post
Put aside any "anecdotal" evidence from complaints you may have heard about it. How about the fact that Cablevision has an entire ad campaign centered around the fact that they are "the only system that provides HD coverage of every NY-area sports team"?

If that isn't a competitive advantage, then why are they touting it as .... well .. a competitive advantage and a reason to prefer their system to all of the others?

Dopes.
Exactly, excellent point.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:37 PM
  #124
alkurtz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
I'll likely be switching from Comcast soon after MSGHD becomes available from FIOS. Can you guys who are watching the legal process play out continue to post updates on this thread? Thanks and much appreciated.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:36 PM
  #125
JBytes
Registered User
 
JBytes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country:
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
That's fantastic news! Now, will FIOS get both MSG HD and MSG HD+?

Anyway, my switching decision will be made a lot easier when Verizon decides to offer GolTV HD.

JBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.