HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Brendan Gallagher

Old
09-25-2011, 09:42 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Gallagher hasn't even touched the show yet. He's definitely an exciting offensive prospect though. The WJC will be a coming out party for him I expect.
Once Gionta is gone (in a couple of years) , Gallagher will be a great rookie to put on that RW. Unless he takes A.K. spot when he leaves next season.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Once Gionta is gone (in a couple of years) , Gallagher will be a great rookie to put on that RW. Unless he takes A.K. spot when he leaves next season.
Gionta will retire here. Book it.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:56 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I really like Gionta, but these things are hard to tell. There was a time when I thought the same about Koivu...

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Pr3Va1L

Quote:
If you have one or two, that's fine, not 6 or 7 !

By the time playoffs arrive, they gonna all have empty tanks. If you are hit all year long, even if you have heart and smarts, you gonna be exhausted. (or banged up).

Martin Saint-Louis is an exception.

If you have 2 or 3 in your top three lines, that's fine. Not 6 mor 7.

I salute their courage and skills, but when the playoffs will come after a 82 games excrutiating season, most of them have their tank empty after being hit and roughed up all season long.

Sorry, but the Habs need size, not less.

Something i've come to realise watching gionta or st-louis, is that those players manage to never really get hit. They are shifty and quick and keep their heads up, smart with the puck too.

That's something you've got to watch in a prospect like Gallager.

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:05 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Something i've come to realise watching gionta or st-louis, is that those players manage to never really get hit. They are shifty and quick and keep their heads up, smart with the puck too.

That's something you've got to watch in a prospect like Gallager.
I don't think a player like that would survive junior without learning to play with their head up. I find that alot of the bigger players are the ones who get caught with their heads down because growing up they could just shrug off hits because of sheer size. When they hit the big leagues, this is no longer the case. I think Lindros is a good example of this.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:14 PM
RE-HABS

Two 41 and 44 goal seasons (172 points in 138 games)in the best CHL league and best development league tells me the kid at 5'8" is telling the Habs Brass that another year of junior isn't going to prove anything, he is making a case for the show!!!

Sure, going back he can play WJC is a great showcase, but he can also get a 9 game (or plus) audition with the Habs this year too. The kid looks legit, and his head looks screwed on straight too.

I don't believe he is going back to a strong team in Vancouver either, and if anything another year there could be more of a step back.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
I really like Gionta, but these things are hard to tell. There was a time when I thought the same about Koivu...
Exactly. If anything there's a history of Habs captains going elsewhere to finish their careers that dates back decades. If Carbo, Koivu, Robinson. etc. can be let go, nothing is guaranteed.

Still, love to see it. Gionta just a model of consistent, effective, effort, with unquestionably top-six skating and finish.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:39 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Indeed, I could see Gionta's contract being extended..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:42 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
i love gionta. great captain too

speaking of brendan, i don't see why management wouldn't give him a 9 game trial. especially considering we still have lingering injuries to take care off. he played yesterday against a stanley cup winning roster and didn't look out of place one bit

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Two 41 and 44 goal seasons (172 points in 138 games)in the best CHL league and best development league tells me the kid at 5'8" is telling the Habs Brass that another year of junior isn't going to prove anything, he is making a case for the show!!!

Sure, going back he can play WJC is a great showcase, but he can also get a 9 game (or plus) audition with the Habs this year too. The kid looks legit, and his head looks screwed on straight too.

I don't believe he is going back to a strong team in Vancouver either, and if anything another year there could be more of a step back.
How? It's not like he's regarded as the best player there or done anything in the playoffs there. I think a full season of carrying a team on his back will only make him better. I mean no one was as impressed with Gallagher's numbers last season until he continued to play well after they traded Craig Cunningham. Let's see him do it from start to finish. Furthermore, it's easier to work on his strength/conditioning/skating while in the WHL and closer to his father (who's the strength and conditioning coach for the Giants).

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Andros777

I hope he does another year in junior, then about a year and a half in the AHL.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:24 AM
neofury*

I agree more with taking on Gallagher than Beaulieu at this point. I believe his mistakes would be less costly to our team. Nine games if injuries merit the call up for me would be worth it for Gallagher, then he can still play WJC.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:04 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
No way is he spending that much time in the AHL. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team next year if AK is gone. At most, I think he plays one year like Subban did.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Paddyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
I certainly hope he does too, I'm thinking about getting a season pass for the Giants because of him

Paddyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:24 AM
zzoo

I wonder how you would compare Gallagher performance now to Latendresse some years ago when he played his first games in the preseason.

Beside those two, who else (prospect) have excelled and stood out in the preseason ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:32 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I wonder how you would compare Gallagher performance now to Latendresse some years ago when he played his first games in the preseason.

Beside those two, who else (prospect) have excelled and stood out in the preseason ?
Marcel Hossa ?

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:34 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I agree more with taking on Gallagher than Beaulieu at this point. I believe his mistakes would be less costly to our team. Nine games if injuries merit the call up for me would be worth it for Gallagher, then he can still play WJC.
Gallagher would look good with DD and A.K. on our third line for the beginning of the season.

I think Dumont is ready for a good test too. With Moen and Darche, and eventually, with White. I'd rather have him than Engqvist.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post

Ron Hainsey yearssss ago

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:37 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Gallagher would look good with DD and A.K. on our third line for the beginning of the season.
I think within 20 games tops he'd start producing at the NHL level. Whether or not it's the right step in his development remains to be seen. Regardless though I definitely don't see Beaulieu as ready that's for sure. Surprised people are saying he's ready.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:38 AM
groovejuice

Could BG be signed to a 2 way NHL contract and play in the AHL that way?

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:43 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
No. He is still under 20 and must return to his Junior tema if he's not staying at NHL level. Only European players like Avstin can have two-way contracts. Unfair but that's the case.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:44 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Gallagher would not be able to play in the AHL this year (well he can play in the AHL once his WHL team has their season end). It would be a 2 way contract, 3 years.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:51 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Gallagher would not be able to play in the AHL this year (well he can play in the AHL once his WHL team has their season end). It would be a 2 way contract, 3 years.
Thanks. Naively hoped there might be a loophole... Love this kid.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:55 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
wrong.

Marchand has 1 season of 80 pts in his 4 years of Jr while Gallagher already has 2 in 3 seasons

Gallagher also has two 40+ goals seasons in 3 Jr years to none for Marchand.
That would be great info if they were talking about Gallagher. I fail to see how Gallagher scoring 40 goals increases Dumonts ceiling.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:57 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
That would be great info if they were talking about Gallagher. I fail to see how Gallagher scoring 40 goals increases Dumonts ceiling.
you're late to the party my friend

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote