HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Fans Buying into Team...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-22-2011, 12:48 PM
  #1
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,266
vCash: 500
Fans Buying into Team...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...-now-1.3191952

"I think that certainly we tried our best and we will continue to improve on that in terms of winning, in terms of what the experience for the fans is like," owner Charles Wang said.
"But I'm very happy with the way it's been received by the fans. Again, it's a process that we're going through. We're at the point now where, let's show them."
Showing them on the ice is the key to sustaining momentum, regardless of the creative packaging and multiple price points. The vibe on that front is hopeful entering the lone preseason home game Saturday.
"Rebuilding, they tell you, is painful," Lancey said. "We can vouch for that. Now they see the end of the pain. They can see maybe this is the year of the rewards . . . We're feeling good that finally maybe it's our turn. Maybe it's a good time to be us."

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:47 PM
  #2
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,349
vCash: 500
I think theres a lot more excitment for this upcoming season than there has been in awhile.....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:49 PM
  #3
Bones45
Registered User
 
Bones45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Low Taxville
Posts: 4,765
vCash: 500
agreed.

When the arena deal gets done, it will amp up the team, fans and enthusiasm even more.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:43 PM
  #4
JJmcD
The Power Of Love
 
JJmcD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
I completely agree as well!

A lot of it has to do with the young talent currently on the team and with more to come!

Just to compare this with the Mets who are having a terrible time in their franchise, mainly due to their lack of prospects. The Mets spend too much money going out of their organizations for has-beens.

The Islanders on the other hand are building a young and talented team and that is why there is much more excitement then there has been in a while.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:16 PM
  #5
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I think theres a lot more excitment for this upcoming season than there has been in awhile.....
It's more than "think," it's a fact. We've been one of the top 5 worst teams the last 4 years, and there is finally a reason to believe we can make the playoffs this upcoming season. While it may not happen, you can tell the players and organization truly believe it can happen and it's just them blowing smoke like last few years.

It's only a first step towards the ultimate goal of winning the Cup, but it's like my dad says, "It's not where you are, but what direction you're heading."

And this Islander team is heading UP. There's no question about it.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:41 PM
  #6
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
agreed.

When the arena deal gets done, it will amp up the team, fans and enthusiasm even more.
Do you really think the casual fan is even aware of the arena issue? I wonder. I know we all are, but for the average fan, does the off ice stuff really make an impact? Does the arena matter at all to fans if the team is winning?

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:05 PM
  #7
Veteran journeyman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Do you really think the casual fan is even aware of the arena issue? I wonder. I know we all are, but for the average fan, does the off ice stuff really make an impact? Does the arena matter at all to fans if the team is winning?
I think so. It made more headlines than just about anything else the Islanders have done in a long time. I would bet more casual fans know about that than anything else.

I had non-hockey fan friends sending me emails about the arena vote along with news stories they'd seen when that went down. I doubt any of them even know who Rick DiPietro and John Tavares are.

And heck, if you type New York Islanders and a space into Google News right now, the first four auto-complete suggestions are "Brooklyn," "Vote," "Arena" and "Relocation."

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:02 PM
  #8
Echoes of 1980
Registered User
 
Echoes of 1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Do you really think the casual fan is even aware of the arena issue? I wonder. I know we all are, but for the average fan, does the off ice stuff really make an impact? Does the arena matter at all to fans if the team is winning?
I think a lot of the people that weren't aware were alerted to the seriousness of the situation around the time of the 8/1 vote. But I was still surprised how many casual fans had no idea what was going on.

Echoes of 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:36 PM
  #9
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,654
vCash: 500
Cautiously optimistic. Still MANY questions.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:54 PM
  #10
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
It's more than "think," it's a fact. We've been one of the top 5 worst teams the last 4 years, and there is finally a reason to believe we can make the playoffs this upcoming season. While it may not happen, you can tell the players and organization truly believe it can happen and it's just them blowing smoke like last few years.

It's only a first step towards the ultimate goal of winning the Cup, but it's like my dad says, "It's not where you are, but what direction you're heading."

And this Islander team is heading UP. There's no question about it.
very well said...you and your dad!

I'm cautiously optimistic as well, like IslesFanatic - but this year I'm excited to see if certain players can take the next step I expected. Specifically:

John Tavares
Joshua Bailey
Kyle Okposo

I think these three guys can carry the team a long way if they progress as I expect/hope.

All teams have question marks, this NYI team clearly does, but the progress of some players represent a major step forward in this team's ability to get better, if not this year, the next.

I'd also like to see Grabner repeat, Niederreiter/Hamonic have a strong year and Strome/Kabanov/deHaan/Donovan/Poulin have strong seasons wherever they play.

And yes, I'm secretly pulling for DiPietro to get his GAME back, I don't expect perfect health but I would love to see him play much better.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:33 PM
  #11
darkmoon1196
Registered User
 
darkmoon1196's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
very well said...you and your dad!

I'm cautiously optimistic as well, like IslesFanatic - but this year I'm excited to see if certain players can take the next step I expected. Specifically:

John Tavares
Joshua Bailey
Kyle Okposo

I think these three guys can carry the team a long way if they progress as I expect/hope.

All teams have question marks, this NYI team clearly does, but the progress of some players represent a major step forward in this team's ability to get better, if not this year, the next.

I'd also like to see Grabner repeat, Niederreiter/Hamonic have a strong year and Strome/Kabanov/deHaan/Donovan/Poulin have strong seasons wherever they play.
.
And yes, I'm secretly pulling for DiPietro to get his GAME back, I don't expect perfect health but I would love to see him play much better.
If DP can get his game back, then hell yeah I'll take him on my team. But lets be honest, he's proven himself to be quite brittle in multiple areas. The time he has spend not getting NHL minutes is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to come back from.

The thing that bothers me most about DiPietro is his foolish pride. When he was in his all-star mode he had the ability to make decisions that no other goalies make and pull them off. Things like dive at the red line to stop the puck going for the corner, going all the way out to the boards to check a player, all that stupid crap that somehow worked for him.

He tries to do that now and it's just not working. He needs to come back into the league, get his basics back. THEN he can go out and do all his weird puckhandling things.

I don't think he realizes this and every time he comes back he's going to think he's the same goalie he was at the All-Star game however many years ago when the only goal he let in was because the announcers were whispering in his ear that play. I don't want him gone because I think he lacks the talent, I want him gone because I lack confidence in him that he can turn himself around.

darkmoon1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:19 AM
  #12
Bleed Oranje
Registered User
 
Bleed Oranje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
I just hope people aren't disappointed.

Bleed Oranje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 07:55 AM
  #13
Strummergas
Registered User
 
Strummergas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Oranje View Post
I just hope people aren't disappointed.
If they're competing throughout the whole season and not out of it by the All-Star Break (or worse, Xmas) then most people won't be disappointed. The hockey will be meaningful through 82 games. Whether or not they're strong enough to make the cut is another thing, but I'm cautiously optimistic that they at least get close.

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:31 AM
  #14
Wedregast
Registered User
 
Wedregast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
I'm excited.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 11:00 AM
  #15
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge
 
enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Do you really think the casual fan is even aware of the arena issue? I wonder. I know we all are, but for the average fan, does the off ice stuff really make an impact? Does the arena matter at all to fans if the team is winning?
i think the average casual fan is probably more aware of the looming arena issues rather than the fact that we actually may be decent this year. when i speak about the isles to my friends that do not like hockey all they say is the isles suck and theyre going to KC. when i say no they are not and they may even be half decent they laugh at the fact that i said they wont finish bottom 5 again.

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:46 PM
  #16
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,882
vCash: 234
Reading the article in the paper right now.. It also says that the Islanders have added about 1,000 new full-season subscribers and 1,100 new partial plan subscribers bringing their season ticket base to 7,000.

Quote:
Business has been so brisk, Lancey said, that since August, the team has hired 60 people to handle the demand, more than half of them full-time
That's pretty crazy... Let's hope this is the season the Islanders burst upon the scene... I'm pretty pumped.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:50 PM
  #17
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,882
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
i think the average casual fan is probably more aware of the looming arena issues rather than the fact that we actually may be decent this year. when i speak about the isles to my friends that do not like hockey all they say is the isles suck and theyre going to KC. when i say no they are not and they may even be half decent they laugh at the fact that i said they wont finish bottom 5 again.
This statement is 100% accurate to how people who don't follow hockey think, well atleast with the people I talk to about it. I get the same exact crap "I thought they moved?... Kansas City... They suck anyway.." I've given up on telling them they'll be better but hopefully the Islanders do the convincing for me on the ice

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:12 PM
  #18
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Oranje View Post
I just hope people aren't disappointed.
I think if they're legitimately in the playoff chase in the last month of the season, then no one will be disappointed...

...Except those who think that Snow can't do anything right and it's DP's fault for Milbury making the worst trade in franchise history.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:42 PM
  #19
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge
 
enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I think if they're legitimately in the playoff chase in the last month of the season, then no one will be disappointed...

...Except those who think that Snow can't do anything right and it's DP's fault for Milbury making the worst trade in franchise history.
i disagree....any year you do not make the playoffs is a disappointment...if we want to get to the point where not winning the stanley cup is a disappointment, we have to raise the bar at some point...lets not forget that over half the teams make the playoffs in the eastern conference

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:35 PM
  #20
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
i disagree....any year you do not make the playoffs is a disappointment...if we want to get to the point where not winning the stanley cup is a disappointment, we have to raise the bar at some point...lets not forget that over half the teams make the playoffs in the eastern conference
Believe me...I'd like every year to be a disappointment if we don't win the Cup, but you have to be realistic. The last few seasons we had an AHL lineup, but quality has been added and young players are stating to emerge, and now the bar IS BEING RAISED.

And I hope it's raised every year after this until we win the Cup, but right now accurate expectations for the 2011-2012 Islander team are to flirt with a playoff spot and hopefully earn one. Even an insanely gifted basketball prodigy cannot dunk a basketball at the age of 5, so it's not a disappointment if he doesn't. However if he gets to age 20 and he still can't, then that would be disappointing.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:59 AM
  #21
leaponover
Registered User
 
leaponover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmoon1106 View Post
If DP can get his game back, then hell yeah I'll take him on my team. But lets be honest, he's proven himself to be quite brittle in multiple areas. The time he has spend not getting NHL minutes is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to come back from.

The thing that bothers me most about DiPietro is his foolish pride. When he was in his all-star mode he had the ability to make decisions that no other goalies make and pull them off. Things like dive at the red line to stop the puck going for the corner, going all the way out to the boards to check a player, all that stupid crap that somehow worked for him.

He tries to do that now and it's just not working. He needs to come back into the league, get his basics back. THEN he can go out and do all his weird puckhandling things.

I don't think he realizes this and every time he comes back he's going to think he's the same goalie he was at the All-Star game however many years ago when the only goal he let in was because the announcers were whispering in his ear that play. I don't want him gone because I think he lacks the talent, I want him gone because I lack confidence in him that he can turn himself around.
There is a fine line between foolish pride and unyielding determination and I think the latter is what is going on here. DiPietro never talks pridefully and is always humble. Even more so now. People thought it was foolish to think the world was round. People thought it was foolish to hire an ex goaltender with no front office experience as a GM. If DiPietro never gets healthy and has to call it quits I will NEVER say it is foolish pride that did it to him. That makes no sense.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:26 AM
  #22
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
There is a fine line between foolish pride and unyielding determination and I think the latter is what is going on here. DiPietro never talks pridefully and is always humble. Even more so now. People thought it was foolish to think the world was round. People thought it was foolish to hire an ex goaltender with no front office experience as a GM. If DiPietro never gets healthy and has to call it quits I will NEVER say it is foolish pride that did it to him. That makes no sense.
Foolish pride made for one helluva set of honest answers to the training staff when asked if he was hurt all those times. He has the rivets and x-rays to be proud of.

But maybe he was unyieldingly proud when he refused to sit during injuries. Either way, whoever is best shoudl play. That won't happen in net but it sure will in front of Rick.

Thus, get excited we can win a lot more than last year. We have the scoring and defense to make up for whatever clusfertuck decisions are made with the starting goalies.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.