HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

And The Witch Hunt Continues ..

Old
09-26-2011, 10:31 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...uspension.html

Here is the video with Shanahan explaining why he suspended Boyes two pre-season games and made him a "repear offender" moving forward.

I think it's a good move as hits to the head need to go away.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Check out Shanny's video.
I did and the one view is what they showed at speed on Leafs' TV, and then the other was the replay from the half-wall to Reimer's left. At speed, it was like the Kassian hit in the WJC's -- looked like sternum. The slowed version in that video still leaves some doubt, as does Boyes position and view at the end of the hit. Shanny's been tasked with taking away head contact. Ok. He's swing the big stick in pre-season and the thought is the players will wise up (they usually do, much like every other single-focused "crackdowns" in recent years).

And I'm still wondering how Army gets naught but a penalty. Again, it's old-school NHL mentality that the harm inflicted influences the judgement of the infraction. If Gaustad is maimed or even simply departed the game, Armstrong would likely be facing something based on precedent for those sorts of things. It's not like Armstrong also isn't in their "Repeat offender" category, having already been suspended for an elbow to the head of Perreault against the Caps a few years ago.

09-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I did and the one view is what they showed at speed on Leafs' TV, and then the other was the replay from the half-wall to Reimer's left. At speed, it was like the Kassian hit in the WJC's -- looked like sternum. The slowed version in that video still leaves some doubt, as does Boyes position and view at the end of the hit. Shanny's been tasked with taking away head contact. Ok. He's swing the big stick in pre-season and the thought is the players will wise up (they usually do, much like every other single-focused "crackdowns" in recent years).

And I'm still wondering how Army gets naught but a penalty. Again, it's old-school NHL mentality that the harm inflicted influences the judgement of the infraction. If Gaustad is maimed or even simply departed the game, Armstrong would likely be facing something based on precedent for those sorts of things. It's not like Armstrong also isn't in their "Repeat offender" category, having already been suspended for an elbow to the head of Perreault against the Caps a few years ago.
Perhaps they also take into consideration officials testimony, whether off-ice on on?

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:03 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...uspension.html

Here is the video with Shanahan explaining why he suspended Boyes two pre-season games and made him a "repear offender" moving forward.

I think it's a good move as hits to the head need to go away.
This is getting ridiculous Brad Boyes accidently hits a guy in the head and if it happens again will get slapped with even more games? Give me a break. I get protecting the players and getting rid of INTENTIONAL headshots, but if they're gonna be handing out two games everytime a guy goes for a shoulder to shoulder hit and accidently hits a player in the head then it's going way overboard. I guess tall guys should just give up hitting smaller guys then.\

Say what you want, but that hit shouldn't be suspendable.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Endless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
This is getting ridiculous Brad Boyes accidently hits a guy in the head and if it happens again will get slapped with even more games? Give me a break. I get protecting the players and getting rid of INTENTIONAL headshots, but if they're gonna be handing out two games everytime a guy goes for a shoulder to shoulder hit and accidently hits a player in the head then it's going way overboard. I guess tall guys should just give up hitting smaller guys then.\

Say what you want, but that hit shouldn't be suspendable.
I agree this is way too overboard , now he wont even play near NHL level in fear of getting suspended all season.....

Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:16 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
I agree this is way too overboard , now he wont even play near NHL level in fear of getting suspended all season.....
I wouldn't say that, but one hit that would have gotten no attention 2 or 3 years ago shouldn't make a guy a repeat offender. You should have to have two or more incidents like that to get repeat offender status.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:38 AM
French Connection

The face and best hockey player in the NHL is still out due to a concussion. These players must come to realize that they can not continue to target the head. The rule should be made simple. Any hit, intentional or otherwise will not be tolerated any longer.

Unfortunately Brads hit, even if his thought process was to use the shoulder, is illegal.

NO MORE HITS TO THE HEAD. Plain and simple.

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote