HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Official Training Camp/Rookie Camp/Preseason Thread V2.0

Old
09-26-2011, 08:12 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
So this Emelin guy, is he supposed to be a big hitter? Other than hitting Max Pac, i've not seen much of him.
I'd rather see a good defenseman than a good hitter. And so far, Yemelin looks like a good defenseman. The hitting can come later, when he's comfortable in his position.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'd rather see a good defenseman than a good hitter. And so far, Yemelin looks like a good defenseman. The hitting can come later, when he's comfortable in his position.
Didn't you know? In the nhl you hit first and play hockey second.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I think too much was made of Yemelin's physical nature and not enough about this skills with the puck, which to me, have stood out more than anything.

But I don't know why anyone thinks Yemelin is some type of Scott Stevens or even Anton Volchenkov....

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I think too much was made of Yemelin's physical nature and not enough about this skills with the puck, which to me, have stood out more than anything.

But I don't know why anyone thinks Yemelin is some type of Scott Stevens or even Anton Volchenkov....
He's a mobile, puck-moving/skating defensive d-man. He's exactly what we need on defense, more speed and better skating. He needs to only make some minor adjustments to his game to be ready for top 4 minutes. I'm really impressed for a guy who's never played on nhl size ice.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:01 AM
FrankMTL

I've been so dissapointed by Trotter and Engqvist...I really was expecting one of them to do something. If either of them making the opening roster, it'll be really sad.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I've been so dissapointed by Trotter and Engqvist...I really was expecting one of them to do something. If either of them making the opening roster, it'll be really sad.
I wouldn't be surprised if Engqvist made it because we need a 4th line centerman and I'm not sure if White will be ready or Eller, but Trotter I agree I was expecting a little more, he didn't have a bad year in Russia last year, was expecting a lot more from him

Habs 4 Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Trotter kicked ass the first game but I don't know if he's ready for a full 82 game schedule at an NHL pace yet. Engqvist is different because he was never supposed to be a top-6 player. He's supposed to be playing on the 4th line, logging some PK time, and if you've noticed his defensive play it's been pretty solid. He hasn't been great on the rush, but he's been solid in our own end.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:35 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

Yes! Why on earth woul we want a big hitting, rock solid defensively Dman that can put up 60pts?

Why would we want such a thing.

Putting Volchenkov and Stevens in the same category is an insult to Stevens. He is the perfect mix of everything you want for a Dman.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:35 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Trotter kicked ass the first game but I don't know if he's ready for a full 82 game schedule at an NHL pace yet. Engqvist is different because he was never supposed to be a top-6 player. He's supposed to be playing on the 4th line, logging some PK time, and if you've noticed his defensive play it's been pretty solid. He hasn't been great on the rush, but he's been solid in our own end.
Ya but still, I expected something out of Engqvist besides his supposed good defensive play. In these exhbition games he was supposed to stand out from the other 4th line players and he hasn't really IMO. I don't see anything interesting when he's on the ice. He would get the spot by default more than anything else as he's a centre. Same thing with Trotter, once in a while he makes a decent play, but i notice him more because of his white skates than anything else.

Last edited by FrankMTL: 09-26-2011 at 09:41 AM.
FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

MaxPac is out with the flu...won't play tonight

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Jigger77

So far training camp confirms my biggest fear for this year. This team is going to have severe issues on D. Hope I'm wrong.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:00 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I don't see Trotter making the Habs full time but he could be a possible call up since I assume he's going to put up some big numbers with Hamilton. But it shouldn't really be a suprise as Trotter was known for lacking strength, not the best skater nor the quickest and he's not overly solid in his own end. Now he seems to have improved his skating and foot speed a good bit but he needs to show he's not going to hurt the team with his play in his own end and so far I don't think he's shown improvement there and we all JM wants his players to be good in their own end.

Engqvist I don't have a problem with, he's playing about what I expected as he's not flashy at all and didn't really show much offense in Hamilton last year. I am disappointed in his face-offs, the times I've seen him so far this preseason he hasn't looked all that strong in the FO, whereas in Hamilton he was likely their best in the FO.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
So this Emelin guy, is he supposed to be a big hitter? Other than hitting Max Pac, i've not seen much of him.
He needs more muscle. He looks skinny on the ice. Also being physical in the KHL and being physical in the NHL ≠ the same thing.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:57 AM
yoteshot

For tonight:

Price for 60 minutes

Cammallari-Plekanec-Gallagher
Gionta-Willsie-Bournival
Trotter-Dumont-Blunden
Lefebvre-DeSimone-Berger

Spacek-Diaz
Woywitka-Gorges
Tinordi-St-Denis

WTF has Willsie done to deserve playing at center like that, he's not even a centerman… I like those lines, except that 2nd one who is really weird IMO. Defense is meh, too, but that is bound to happen with Markov and Subban still out.

Also:

Moen injured 1 week
White still 1 week out before skating = will miss opening night.

yoteshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteshot View Post
For tonight:

Price for 60 minutes

Gionta-Willsie-Bournival
Trotter-Dumont-Blunden
Lefebvre-DeSimone-Berger

Spacek-Diaz
Woywitka-Gorges
Tinordi-St-Denis

WTF has Willsie done to deserve playing at center like that, he's not even a centerman… I like those lines, except that 2nd one who is really weird IMO. Defense is meh, too, but that is bound to happen with Markov and Subban still out.

Also:

Moen injured 1 week
What a terrible line-up

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Yes! Why on earth woul we want a big hitting, rock solid defensively Dman that can put up 60pts?

Why would we want such a thing.

Putting Volchenkov and Stevens in the same category is an insult to Stevens. He is the perfect mix of everything you want for a Dman.
I'm guessing 'reading comprehension' isn't your strength, is it?

I never said we don't need that type of dman, I said Alexei Yemelin isn't that type of dman..

Also, I never put Volchenkov and Stevens in the same category...I just said, I don't think he's going to be *that* type of dman, the type that goes out of his way to lay people out with huge open ice hits.

Take a deep breath...

Old
09-26-2011, 11:22 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteshot View Post
For tonight:

Price for 60 minutes

Gionta-Willsie-Bournival
Trotter-Dumont-Blunden
Lefebvre-DeSimone-Berger

Spacek-Diaz
Woywitka-Gorges
Tinordi-St-Denis

Also:

Moen injured 1 week
Eller, Leblanc and Desharnais are all hurt, and I'm assuming they'd rather rest Gomez now if he has any lingering effects from his injury...Willsie is garbage but I'd rather use him in the preseason games at centre than play an injured vet.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
What a terrible line-up
It's pre season and cuts will be made after the game, last chance for some players. Against Tampa we will see more of the regulars

Habs 4 Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Protest the Hero

Did Engqvist play last night?

I swear I can't even remember seeing him on the ice at all.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post

if you're looking for Engqvist to stand out in any particular area, then I think you're mis-evaluating the type of player he is.

Old
09-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

My guess is that unfortunately DeSimone will be released as soon as they can release some players. 'Cause if the idea is to know what he can do, they would have placed him with Gionta on the 2nd line. Who cares what Willsie will do, he will do it with the Dogs. But I really thought, and still think that we could be surprised by DeSimone....But I figure more as an offensive player and right now, they have been using him as a plugger. He has nice speed, okay hands, great balance, great faceoff guy and good size. Still a work in progress but something the Dogs might need in the end.

But you will NEVER see this playing with ECHL'er Lefebvre and young Berger. Nope. I really don't understand the Willsie experiment....And if you don't know what Willsie is about, you'll never know it...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:59 PM
pine*

See ya brock trotter...

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:04 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post

watching him play... I almost miss Pyatt...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Trotter is on waivers.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/icechips/

Dutchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:39 PM
WeThreeKings