HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Michael Nylander Thread (injury, release, Swiss league)

Old
09-23-2011, 06:05 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1335
Michael Nylander Thread (injury, release, Swiss league)

From the Flyers: Michael Nylander has a minor lower-body injury but should be available Monday.

Tim P. has an update, posted below...

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-05-2011 at 10:14 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 07:11 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers...06&feedID=6572

Quote:
DETROIT -- Has anyone seen Michael Nylander?

To date, he hasn’t played in any of the Flyers’ four exhibition games and he’s missed a lot of practice time.

Nylander is in camp on a tryout. Every day he is not on the ice only compounds his difficulty making this roster.

The competition for the 12th and 13th forward spots is pretty intense among Matt Read, Zac Rinaldo, Sean Couturier, Adam Mair (tryout), Tommy Sestito and others.

General manager Paul Holmgren said late Friday that Nylander has a minor injury that is unrelated to the neck surgery he underwent last season.

Old
09-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
I've got to think this assures he won't be on the roster

09-23-2011, 08:42 PM
RoDu

vCash: 500
Don't let the door yadda yadda yadda

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:20 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
I am sure Nylander will get the courtesy look Monday night and that will be it.
hopefully Jagr is ok with Nylander being shown the door

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Peter The Great

I feel sorry for Nylander because I know he has been training very, very seriously in Sweden. A lot of other NHL Swedes training in Sweden during summer was very impressed, stating he looked like his good old self. Personally I was very negative to his comeback plans but I changed my mind when I understood how increadibly serious he was about his comeback, he wanted to prove something.

Maybe Nylander overstressed his "old" body when training so much catching up after his injury.

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:36 AM
mirimon

Don't take this as gospel, but if I've got my information right, Homer has told Nylander that if he's unable to find another team, he can sign an AHL contract with the Phantoms if he wants to and hopefully impress enough to be given a contract by some team later on in the season (like Boucher did a few seasons back when San Josť took him on). I don't know if Nylander would do that, or if he will call it quits if he can't find a place in either the NHL or Europe.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:51 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Mentioned in Philly.com

Quote:
Roster trimmed

After parting ways with 17 players on Saturday, as the Flyers began to stock the AHL Adirondack Phantoms' training camp, they released tryouts Michael Nylander and Adam Mair from camp.

Nylander, 38, did not play in a single preseason game after Holmgren revealed he had a groin issue. Mair, 31, played one game but the Flyers realized they did not need another penalty killer with little offensive upside.

"That was a hard conversation with both of those guys, especially with Michael because he never really got an opportunity to get in," Holmgren said.

The Flyers were hamstrung by the NHL's 50-contract limit and they have been impressed by the play of young guns Brayden Schenn, Sean Couturier, Matt Read, Zac Rinaldo and Tom Sestito. All five of those players remain in camp. Read, 25, has four points in three preseason games.

"We're quite happy with how some of these young guys have played," Holmgren said.

For now, the Flyers are exploring their options with Nylander, who may take a minor league deal. The Flyers' roster is down to 29 players. It must be cut to 23 by Oct. 5. Coach Peter Laviolette said to expect more veterans to play in the final three preseason games, beginning tonight

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1Z4B3d2QZ

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:55 AM
dats81

Nylander was plan B in case plan A Schenn would not have worked out. Obviously, Schenn is doing pretty well and even a for a healthy Nylander earning a roster spot would have been very very difficult.

I think he will call it a career and hang em up now....

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:57 AM
captainpaxil

i hope he takes the phntoms deal. a little more time for him to get healthy and adjut to game shape an by then we may be looking at n injury callup

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:10 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
I will be shocked if Nylander takes a minor league deal. I would rather not go that route.

taking a minor league deal means just that. Any NHL team can sign him. Like the Brian Boucher deal 5 years ago.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I will be shocked if Nylander takes a minor league deal. I would rather not go that route.

taking a minor league deal means just that. Any NHL team can sign him. Like the Brian Boucher deal 5 years ago.
True, but the only way to avoid that is to sing him to one ourselves, and I don't like that option either.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:12 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

According to Twitter reports: Michael Nylander is currently training with the Zurich Lions of the Swiss League.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:18 AM
jagrgodr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
According to Twitter reports: Michael Nylander is currently training with the Zurich Lions of the Swiss League.
Good for Nylander. Was hoping to see him some how play a preseason game with Jagr but oh well. Glad he is not in the AHL! Good luck

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote