HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Briere sounds happy they are gone?

Old
09-26-2011, 12:12 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
It can never be Richards and Carter causing the problem. Especially when Briere said it will be good for them since they will face more pressure to produce.
Yeah I caught that too...kind of a curious statement since they did produce for the most part so it would be interesting to get clarification on that statement and if the context was right or if he actually said it...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:14 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Ooh, I'm glad I saw this thread. I saw the soundbite a few days ago of Briere saying "don't push your luck" with a pretty big smirk on his face on tsn.ca when they were up there to play the Leafs. That's definitely the impression that I got.

If there was a locker room faction at odds with Richards/Carter, little bits here and there seem to indicate (to me) that was most of all Briere, Boucher, Timonen and possibly Giroux. I also got the impression when those players reacted differently to the Zherdev situation. Carter and Richards seemed at least patient with him, while Briere was especially outspoken (as far as you can read into it from public comments).

I think Briere is hugely in favor of the offseason moves. Namely Bryzgalov and Jagr in, Richards and Carter out.

Maybe my preconceived notions are slipping in, but the "don't push your luck" thing seemed like Briere's genuine feelings blurting out, while the second part is the political spin of Briere trying to minimize what he said. Briere knows you're not supposed to throw even former teammates under the bus, so he says, "I don't want to throw those guys under the bus."
The "don't push your luck" comment seems like an inappropriate use terminology. His first language is French even though his English is quite good, same with Giroux, so it's not uncommon for a term to be used incorrectly. It's a figure of speech. Also, I don't know what the issue is with Zherdev but aren't leaders supposed to try and make outsiders feel welcome?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The "don't push your luck" comment seems like an inappropriate use terminology. His first language is French even though his English is quite good, same with Giroux, so it's not uncommon for a term to be used incorrectly. It's a figure of speech. Also, I don't know what the issue is with Zherdev but aren't leaders supposed to try and make outsiders feel welcome?

It's not an inappropriate usage. It's like if you go up to Santa and say you want a remote control car, an xBox, a castle, an iPod AND a laptop for Christmas... Santa might say, "don't push your luck, kiddo." I took Briere's comments in the vein as a kid who asked for too much from Santa (Bryzgalov, Jagr, return on the Carter and Richards trades) and got it all anyway. Pushing his luck.

Zherdev:

I am referring to comments around the time that Zherdev had been waived and when he was clearly at odds with Laviolette. Leadership does not mean kissing everyone's butt all the time (although I do believe that the way the team handled things would never mesh with Zherdev's personality).

Damaged Goods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:33 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Awww, have I hurt the kool-aid drinkers' widdle feelings? LOL!

Hurt MY feelings? That doesn't make any sense at all. I was a huge supporter of Richards as he was my favorite player and I have a Richards jersey. Carter I was not upset about being traded.

Regardless of my opinions on the players themselves, I am and forever will be a supporter of the Flyers. Players come and go but my loyalty remains to the team. If that makes me a kool-aid drinker, then so be it. It tastes very good thank you.

I have an idea for you, CharlieGirl, and all of the other crybabies still moping over an event that happened three months ago. Move on with your life, be optimistic about the future, and support the team. You will be much happier people!! Until then, I suggest that you all use this picture as your new avatar so we can spot your depressing posts and skip over them:

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:41 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
I have an idea for you, CharlieGirl, and all of the other crybabies still moping over an event that happened three months ago. Move on with your life, be optimistic about the future, and support the team. You will be much happier people!!
Good luck with that! In fact I'm enjoying it now. They're arguments are about as humorous and ridiculous as Jagr6868's or Wolfy's at this point. It's like trying to convince a brick wall to move.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
I have an idea: How about letting others have opinions without flaming them? Otherwise this thread will take a nosedive down the crapper.

09-26-2011, 03:05 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I have an idea: How about letting others have opinions without flaming them? Otherwise this thread will take a nosedive down the crapper.

Not trying to be a ***** here but how am I not letting them have an opinion and how am I flaming them? I agree with them on the Richards trade and would like to have him back on the team right now. I think we would presently be a better team with Richards on it than with the additions of Simmonds and Schenn. There's no telling what will happen in the future though and it may end up being better for us in the long run.

Why am I not entitled to have an opinion about how they are acting and make a suggestion about their conduct in the forums? If I did anything to offend anyone, I apologize. But it is in my opinion that someone who is a fan of the actual team will support the team regardless of the players. Also, please don't forget that they are saying I am a kool-aid drinker and that my feelings are hurt.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:10 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Not to further derail and point fingers, but many were equally flamed for voicing an opinion (or suggestion, hypothesis, or observation, however you see it) on the reasons as to why Richards and Carter were traded.

And my feelings have been hurt also. Kool-aid drinker is clearly a derogatory attack and I've been crying myself to sleep for weeks.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Having a thread where all we are doing is calling out/attacking other users isn't really hockey discussion.

All I ask is that we stay on topic, and not lash out at others. I think we've had enough of that this offseason.

edit: The posters who support the moves haven't exactly been innocent either. I think it's worth noting that both side have been throwing barbs the whole time. Nobody is really innocent here...that's going to happen when our GM makes a controversial move.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 09-26-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:18 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Not to further derail and point fingers, but many were equally flamed for voicing an opinion (or suggestion, hypothesis, or observation, however you see it) on the reasons as to why Richards and Carter were traded.

And my feelings have been hurt also. Kool-aid drinker is clearly a derogatory attack and I've been crying myself to sleep for weeks.
The best was all of last year the mere suggestion that Carter could and in many respects should be traded which I argued would be a valid hockey move was derided with baseless red herring accusations of being a "hater."

I too am attempting to type this post in the fetal position....

Old
09-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

We should divide into parties: The Haterade Party and the Kool-Aid party.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:21 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
The best was all of last year the mere suggestion that Carter could and in many respects should be traded which I argued would be a valid hockey move was derided with baseless red herring accusations of being a "hater."

I too am attempting to type this post in the fetal position....
I'm not personally familiar with your particular posts on the subject, but what bothered me personally, was people that claimed we HAD to trade Carter. That is just incorrect.

"Could" and "should" are up for interpretation. "Had to" is not.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:22 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:

My party is the "Let's move on regardless of if you agree with the trades or not" Party.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
My party is the "Let's move on regardless of if you agree with the trades or not" Party.
I suppose we can have an Independent Party as well

Old
09-26-2011, 03:23 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
I think that would be awesome haha.

I also wish it were possible to have some sort of scoring system. Where people could be lumped into a bucket for every move that is made. Then we can see who is "right" more often than not. And I don't even mean within our 2 "parties", just amongst individuals.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:25 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I'm not personally familiar with your particular posts on the subject, but what bothered me personally, was people that claimed we HAD to trade Carter. That is just incorrect.

"Could" and "should" are up for interpretation. "Had to" is not.
I don't recall too many extreme HAD to positions..I certainly never felt we had to trade him. My position was always that if the right trade presented itself Carter was the ideal candidate to leverage for many reasons. Obviously management felt the same way and they did a pretty decent job getting the most for him although it still has to play out..

Old
09-26-2011, 05:19 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Works for me! The Haterade drinkers get to spike their drinks while the kool-aid drinkers can enjoy theirs alcohol free on Dry Island!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:03 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Works for me! The Haterade drinkers get to spike their drinks while the kool-aid drinkers can enjoy theirs alcohol free on Dry Island!
hahaha

Old
09-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Falconator

Flyers are gonna surprise a lot of people this year if Pronger can get healthy!!! Time to move on.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote