HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Scott Stevens' Hits in Todays NHL

Old
09-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Dennis Bonvie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
So out of the thousands upon thousands of hits Stevens threw over his 20+ year career, because 2-3 of them would be deemed borderline today, he's a dirty SOB???

I call bull****!

And yes, I say borderline because he never used his elbow's, he always hit people straight on, none of this side crap and definitely not from behind like we see today.
He always went shoulder to chest which btw, the last I checked, is the text book way to hit and has been since this game was invented.

You want to talk dirty, you talk about Marchment or Ulf taking out knee's or Messier trying to take Ric Natress's or Trevor Linden's head off.
Stevens NEVER did any of that crap and if you're caling Stevens dirty then I guess Denis Potvin was too.

Again, I call bull****!

Please, it's an absolute honour to be included in that group
I was speaking of them as people, not athletes. I thought that would be clear.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
I was speaking of them as people, not athletes. I thought that would be clear.
It's a sports forum, not a human rights forum. Unless you're flat out stating it, it should be assumed you would be talking about their on ice/field play.
And since there is absolutely no possible link between what Lewis, Rose and Taylor did off the field and what Stevens did on the ice, there was no possible way to take your meaning as anything other than on ice/field.

Unless of course you are saying that what Stevens did on the ice was comparable to what those 3 did off the ice/field...to which I would simply call bull**** again

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 04:06 PM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

He was and always will be a cheap-shot artist. He would have many a suspension if He played now.

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
It's a sports forum, not a human rights forum. Unless you're flat out stating it, it should be assumed you would be talking about their on ice/field play.
And since there is absolutely no possible link between what Lewis, Rose and Taylor did off the field and what Stevens did on the ice, there was no possible way to take your meaning as anything other than on ice/field.

Unless of course you are saying that what Stevens did on the ice was comparable to what those 3 did off the ice/field...to which I would simply call bull**** again
My humble apologies.

I should not have assumed that you would know that I knew Rose, Taylor & Lewis were all-time greats in their sports.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
My humble apologies.

I should not have assumed that you would know that I knew Rose, Taylor & Lewis were all-time greats in their sports.

No need to apologize.
Just know that what a player does off the field doesn't change how great he was on the field and it was more than obvious that listing Stevens in company such as Taylor, Rose and Lewis was in context to what happened on and not off the field.

Rose will prolly never get into Copper's Town but that still doesn't mean he wasn't one of the greatest players ever and referencing someone to his accomplishments on the field is still a high honour indeed.

Old
09-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Fredrik_71

The NHL has clearly stated that a lot of Stevens hits are not legal this year. See link below:

http://podcasts.nhl.com/ops/2011_Player_Safety_DVD.mp4

Anyone disagrees?

//Cheers

Fredrik_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Slapshooter

While this is stating the obvious, but Stevens game was hit after hit. Someone once described Stevens as a jukebox in terms of hitting. So when you hit often and hit hard every time, some hits are eventually going to be dirty and break some stars too.

Messier, Chelios, Samuelsson, Marchment, Lindros and a lot of players were more dirty than Stevens, who was simply a hard and eager hitter much more than especially dirty hitter.

But in todays NHL is a bit different and Stevens would likely be in a trouble with his style and would have to adjust his physical game a bit (like many hard hitting stars of the past would have to do).

Slapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik_71 View Post
The NHL has clearly stated that a lot of Stevens hits are not legal this year. See link below:

http://podcasts.nhl.com/ops/2011_Player_Safety_DVD.mp4

Anyone disagrees?

//Cheers

You can't say "a lot" of his hits would be illegal.
Out of the thousands and thousands of hits Stevens threw over his career, a very, very small percentage would be illegal today.

Now, if you were to say that "a lot" of his more well known, highlight reel hits might be illegal today...then you may have a point

Old
09-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Fredrik_71

Quote:
You can't say "a lot" of his hits would be illegal.
Out of the thousands and thousands of hits Stevens threw over his career, a very, very small percentage would be illegal today.

Now, if you were to say that "a lot" of his more well known, highlight reel hits might be illegal today...then you may have a point
My bad. Those hits are exactly what I mean. The carrer changing highlight reels And to be fair to Stevens if you hit people as hard and often as he did some hits are gonna be dirty. Byt I still think he targeted e.g. Lindros head. Why shouldn't he? If it was a shoulder hit it was ok then. And I do not think he meant to "retire" someone just sideline them for a couple of games or the season.

/Cheers

Fredrik_71 is offline   Reply With Quote