HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Signs Chris Campoli..1 year/1.75M

Old
09-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post
Have you people watched the preseason and/or the past few seasons?

All of our fringe D haven't excelled so far this preseason, most have been putrid. Weber hasn't created anything offensively, which is supposed to be his strengh, Woywitka looks useless, Diaz is far from NHL caliber, and while Yemelin hasn't been too bad, he hasn't looked like a stud either.

Plus, with Markov already out and all the injuries we have had to our D in the past years, it's not inconceivable that we need more depth.

The only locks for our D core are Subban, Gill, Gorges, Spacek and now Campoli. That is only 5 players. There is still two spots left for Weber and Yemelin. Who knows when Markov will return or if another defenseman won't get injured before then. The only player who lost an NHL spot is Woywitka.
I am curious, as I have not been able to watch the pre-season games about this general consensus (not questioning it, just curious) that Weber has been mediocre.

He has 2 points in 3 games playing with minor league defence partners on mostly AHL calibre teams.

All reviews of him in the press prior to the exhibition schedule talked about his improved commitment and conditioning. I hadn't hurt a negative word about his camp performance until yesterday after the Halifax game. Now he's had a poor camp.

Where did this come from?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
From a very recent tweet...

The Campoli signing is NOT related to Markov's injury/ Markov still hopeful to play in game 1 of regular season.
Yea well I'd love to know how Markov plans on going from skating in isolation, to non-contact skating with the team, to full contact practices, to game ready conditioning in the next 10 days.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:39 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I am curious, as I have not been able to watch the pre-season games about this general consensus (not questioning it, just curious) that Weber has been mediocre.

He has 2 points in 3 games playing with minor league defence partners on mostly AHL calibre teams.

All reviews of him in the press prior to the exhibition schedule talked about his improved commitment and conditioning. I hadn't hurt a negative word about his camp performance until yesterday after the Halifax game. Now he's had a poor camp.

Where did this come from?
I don't think he has a poor camp, I just don't think he has stepped up to show he is a every day NHLer.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Mike8

I don't think this signing has any implications, in fact. The team likes to carry 8 NHL defensemen, and Campoli provides the team with that.

Further, it was evident that the club needed another NHL body on the blueline. With Markov being out for possibly a month+, and two aging bodies on the blueline in Gill and Spacek, another experienced NHL player is useful. Gives the team the option of resting Gill and Spacek if necessary in the best case scenario, or insurance in case of injury.

The chances of all 6 NHL defensemen (Markov, Subban, Gorges, Gill, Spacek, Campoli) being healthy at once is unlikely, meaning that one of Weber or Yemelin should always be in the lineup anyhow. Imagine the situation if, while Markov's still injured, another injury strikes the blueline? It'd be unfortunate to be forced to have both Yemelin and Weber in the lineup so early, with only Woywitka there as insurance.

So, on the whole, I'm not surprised, but not altogether happy. Campoli's okay, but he's not fundamentally strong and he runs around in his own zone. I like Weber more than Campoli, but such is life.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:42 PM
GordonGraham

Just like they said on l'antichambre and le match last night there was a clear job opening for Yemelin, diaz, weber and none of them have stepped up so far.

GordonGraham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:45 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Subban-Gorges-Yemelin-Spacek-Gill-Weber?
Since everyone is speculating maybe Gorges' knee is acting up or maybe Gill is hurt.

Or maybe 6 d-men is not enough. PG just doesn't like what he has after
Subban
Gorges
Yemelin
Spacek
Gill
Weber

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Just like they said on l'antichambre and le match last night there was a clear job opening for Yemelin, diaz, weber and none of them have stepped up so far.
Yemelin will be in the opening lineup - they didn't bring him back here for him to go back to Russia.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:46 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
The Hamrlik's departure is already biting us in the ass....

I would had taken Mara instead of Campoli....
agreed mara would be like 1m cheeper

maybe spacek is heading out of toww

Last edited by donghabs98: 09-26-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: merged
donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:48 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't think this signing has any implications, in fact. The team likes to carry 8 NHL defensemen, and Campoli provides the team with that.

Further, it was evident that the club needed another NHL body on the blueline. With Markov being out for possibly a month+, and two aging bodies on the blueline in Gill and Spacek, another experienced NHL player is useful. Gives the team the option of resting Gill and Spacek if necessary in the best case scenario, or insurance in case of injury.

The chances of all 6 NHL defensemen (Markov, Subban, Gorges, Gill, Spacek, Campoli) being healthy at once is unlikely, meaning that one of Weber or Yemelin should always be in the lineup anyhow. Imagine the situation if, while Markov's still injured, another injury strikes the blueline? It'd be unfortunate to be forced to have both Yemelin and Weber in the lineup so early, with only Woywitka there as insurance.

So, on the whole, I'm not surprised, but not altogether happy. Campoli's okay, but he's not fundamentally strong and he runs around in his own zone. I like Weber more than Campoli, but such is life.
I agree mike, at first glance I didn't care for this move, but after a few minutes, it's probably a pretty decent move. I think there was a side of me who wanted to see the kids everyday yemelin/weber, but if the object is to win, this probably makes us a better team than yesterday.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:48 PM
ObeyMashinter

Nice pickup for you guys. He was solid for us in Chicago last year other than 1 play in the playoffs. Sounds like you got him for less $$$ than he was looking for also.

ObeyMashinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:49 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
I like l'antichambre too, best source for hockey info!

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Patccmoi

My personal take on this:

They do not know when Markov will be ready, and they were not impressed enough by Yemelin, Weber or Diaz during camp up to now to put half our defense fully on their shoulder. And Woywitka didn't perform enough to win the NHL part of his contract.

If our defense looks like Subban-Gill-Gorges-Spacek-Yemelin-Weber-Diaz/Woywitka for a month or 2, one of the top 4 going down or getting sick would put a seriously unexperienced D on the ice. Campoli at least has experience, and from what I remember was not that bad in Ottawa.

Better for PG to plan ahead and get a guy while we have extra money than risk losing 4-5 games because of it down the road (which is more than enough to miss the playoffs) or having to trade another 2nd rounder. It's a 1 year deal, so it really has no implication long term either.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Delat

I don't think it has anything to do with Yemelin, the guy didn't impress but wasn't bad. I think he still needs 2 or 3 games to adapt and we'll have a good D in him. I think the signing has more to do with Diaz not stepping up at all.

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Yemelin will be in the opening lineup - they didn't bring him back here for him to go back to Russia.
The hype machine on Yemelin's hitting has caused people to think that if he doesn't concuss or sexually abuse somebody out there he hasn't played a good game. I only saw his first two games but from them and what I gather from reports on last night I don't see any problems with him being a regular D man on a very good team.

He'll take strange routes out there sometimes but even everybody's favourite Hamrlik made 1 or 2 massively retarded plays per game. Yemelin has all the tools and just needs to refine his positioning a little and he'll be a good one. May take a bit of time due to the language issue but that's ok.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:53 PM
PricePkPatch

Yemelin proved reliable to me. Not amazing, but reliable. We can expect him to perform well and pick up his game without fearing he'd be a liability.

We sadly can't say as much for Weber. Awful camp. The point of playing with AHLers and Junior guys is to see if YOU can be the fixture, if YOU can make it happen to them. Emelin proved he could do his best with Nathan, while Weber proved he needed to have a fixture as a backup.

A fact that many people raised: this isn't a top 4 signing, which is why I don't think we have further bad development for Markov or Subban medium term. I think the organization just don't trust Weber to fill the position we hoped he'd fill right now, and we can't afford to wait for him because more young men are coming quickly. We need to make room for them, so trade Weber.

It's a depth signing made to accommodate a short/medium term need to replace a disappointing prospect. The end. Nothing to panic over.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Andy

I get the concerns on the injury front...but I really don't understand some of the comments being directed towards Campoli.

Picard 2.0?
Rather and Mara?
Another Sopel?

Campoli is not a superstar, but he's not garbage. He's a very good bottom pairing guy and brings mobility. I'm tired of seeing these bottom pairing guys who are pylons and can't move. Campoli is good for the role you expect him to play and is a decent second option for the point on the powerplay.

It's pretty obvious that Weber wasn't delivering and having him as your #6 to start the season with Markov out isn't ideal. It's also pretty clear Yemelin will make it.

Campoli, Spacek and Yemelin will duke it out until Markov comes back.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:54 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delat View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with Yemelin, the guy didn't impress but wasn't bad. I think he still needs 2 or 3 games to adapt and we'll have a good D in him. I think the signing has more to do with Diaz not stepping up at all.
Yemelin will be given time to adapt to NHL game flow and rink size. They might sit him once in a while but I expect a good solid second half of the season from him.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:57 PM
neopreneur

This probably has something to do with all the shorthanded goals we've let in.
We signed Campoli for our 2nd wave PP unit IMO... and he's good enough to play 3rd pairing minutes right now.

neopreneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

good thing we decided to not even offer Wisniewski a contract. We would have missed out on the Campoli sweepstakes.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Yemelin proved reliable to me. Not amazing, but reliable. We can expect him to perform well and pick up his game without fearing he'd be a liability.

We sadly can't say as much for Weber. Awful camp. The point of playing with AHLers and Junior guys is to see if YOU can be the fixture, if YOU can make it happen to them. Emelin proved he could do his best with Nathan, while Weber proved he needed to have a fixture as a backup.

A fact that many people raised: this isn't a top 4 signing, which is why I don't think we have further bad development for Markov or Subban medium term. I think the organization just don't trust Weber to fill the position we hoped he'd fill right now, and we can't afford to wait for him because more young men are coming quickly. We need to make room for them, so trade Weber.

It's a depth signing made to accommodate a short/medium term need to replace a disappointing prospect. The end. Nothing to panic over.
Yeah, and like i was telling my friend, it's never a bad thing to have a lot of NHL d-men at your disposal. Vancouver had Ballard in the press box for quite a few games in the playoffs last year, and he's much better than Weber.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:58 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delat View Post
I disagree, I don't think the habs brass ever really expected Diaz to make the cut right away. This is simply a depth acquisition because Markov is out and Spacek/Gill aren't any younger and PG felt we needed a proven dman with nhl games under his belt. Going into the season with both Yemelin/Weber without an adequate 7th dman could of been disastrous. Now if someone goes down or needs a night off we can cover them. I believe he will be in the top 6, but both yemelin and weber should get a fair amount of icetime with injuries ect.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:59 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I'm not sure about that. He will be on the team, that's for sure, but not necessarily on the opening day lineup. The guy showed up in questionable shape, and despite some nice movement on the ice for the transition game, I found him very slow and passive in his own end. Even Weber works harder than him in his own zone. That said, it could be an adaptation problem.

I think that Martin has to be true to the players he had last year, so I bet Weber will play before Yemelin. Yemelin will have to wait for his turn, then fight to stay in the lineup, no matter his experience.

I know people want to love him, but if he's not good enough, then too bad.

I'm really not impressed by habs' d-men. One of the best is Gorges, which is not a good sign in my opinion. The guy has heart and people love him, but he's a 5-6th d-man at best.

Markov and Subban better be in shape soon.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Sthabs

I d rather have 1 top 4 in Hamrlik playing top 4 minutes (not top 2 like last year and previous years) than 2 6th D in Gill + Campoli for roughly the same salary..

Sthabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
good thing we decided to not even offer Wisniewski a contract. We would have missed out on the Campoli sweepstakes.
Somehow I think that the 1-year 1.75 mil contract might have been a hard sell with Wis's agent.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
How could anyone be dissapointed with this move? Our defense has not been very good in the pre season. At best. This is clearly a guy who turned off some teams by his attitude regarding the whole contract signing process. In terms of how he was regarded before this off season: he rewarded the Islanders with a late 1st round from Ottawa (granted Comrie was included) and he rewarded Ottawa with a 2nd round pick! The same value we got for the Wiz.

In terms of what he brings, it certainly wont be physicality. He is obviously replacing Weber. Yemelin has his spot down.

Also those of you criticizing Spacek are in for a reality check. This guy is going to be a top 6 defenceman. He looks faster out there and has always been a relatively solid player in terms of positioning.

Lets say that Markov is out until the All Star break - worst case scenario. That will give us:

Subban
Gorges
Gill
Spacek
Yemelin
Campoli
Weber
Woywitka

Mitera
Diaz

That is not very good depth and experience. I like the move by Gauthier, but I am worried about our defense.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote