HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Evgeny Beloshejkin

Old
09-26-2011, 01:27 AM
avs1986

vCash: 500
Evgeny Beloshejkin

Kind of a lost name to most I'm sure,I had never heard of him until watching replays of game 2 of the '87 Canada Cup recently(shows my age). He would of definitely had the win if it wasn't for the play of Fuhr(in my opinion). Dare I say, he reminded me of a Soviet version of Patrick Roy,maybe not so much in style(although he played a very butterfly style)but with his confidence(almost cockiness) as well as the entertaining little nuances such as sitting on his knees when the puck was in the other zone and carrying the puck out to almost the blue line after a save,he even did the little head twitches Patty used to do. I was saddened to find out that he led a very tragic life,eventually committing suicide in 1999. I understand that a near fatal poisining incident took away some of his vision as well as liver problems,is that the reason he never made a name for himself in the professional rankings? I see he played 3 games for Cape Breton with mediocre stats,but after that there is nothing. He seemed like he had great talent(judging only by 1 game),even being dubbed the next Tretiak... Does anyone have any more information on him?

Last edited by avs1986: 09-26-2011 at 01:34 AM.
avs1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:40 AM
VMBM
Uncool & heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1986 View Post
Kind of a lost name to most I'm sure,I had never heard of him until watching replays of game 2 of the '87 Canada Cup recently(shows my age). He would of definitely had the win if it wasn't for the play of Fuhr(in my opinion). Dare I say, he reminded me of a Soviet version of Patrick Roy,maybe not so much in style(although he played a very butterfly style)but with his confidence(almost cockiness) as well as the entertaining little nuances such as sitting on his knees when the puck was in the other zone and carrying the puck out to almost the blue line after a save,he even did the little head twitches Patty used to do. I was saddened to find out that he led a very tragic life,eventually committing suicide in 1999. I understand that a near fatal poisining incident took away some of his vision as well as liver problems,is that the reason he never made a name for himself in the professional rankings? I see he played 3 games for Cape Breton with mediocre stats,but after that there is nothing. He seemed like he had great talent(judging only by 1 game),even being dubbed the next Tretiak... Does anyone have any more information on him?
I just remember that Tikhonov had high hopes for him; he even got to wear #20. Why he didn't play in the 3rd final of the 1987 CC is beyond me; he was seemingly better in the 2nd final than Mylnikov was in the 1st one. I think he also played well in the 1987 Rendez-Vous.

Last edited by VMBM: 09-26-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: just making it a bit clearer
VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:23 AM
plusandminus

As has been mentioned, he had problems with alcoholism. Committed suicide in 1999 at age 33.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evgeny_Belosheikin

plusandminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Zine

He had a bunch of incidents and problems off the ice...mainly due to alcoholism.

From what I remember reading, getting injured right before the 1988 olympics was a big blow to his psyche as he not receive the awards and accolades he desperately wanted from it. He then turned more to the bottle and his life went downhill from there.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Big Phil

I often wonder also why he wasn't in the 3rd game of the 1987 Canada Cup final. He took the team to double overtime and it took 4 Canadian HHOFers on the ice (Gretzky, Lemieux, Murphy, Bourque) to score on him. Propp, close enough, was the 5th player. He couldn't have done worse than Mylnikov who let in a couple weak ones in the deciding game

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote