Disreputable User

vCash: 50
06.09.2011 - Baertschi, Brodie amongst 14 players trimmed from training camp

From http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=589946

Quote:
Flames trim roster by 14

Monday, 26.09.2011 / 2:36 PM / News
calgaryflames.com

CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced today that they have trimmed their training camp roster by 14 players. The Flames now have 30 players remaining at training camp: two goalies, nine defencemen and 19 forwards.

Assigned to Abbotsford (12):
Carter Bancks (LW)
Chris Breen (D)
T.J. Brodie (D)
Leland Irving (G)
Stefan Meyer (C)
Brendan Mikkelson (D)
Greg Nemisz (RW)
Joni Ortio (G)
Gaelan Patterson (C)
Joe Piskula (D)
Ben Walter (C)
Clay Wilson (D)

Returning to Juniors (2):
Sven Baertschi (LW) Portland (WHL)
Max Reinhart (C) Kootenay (WHL)

The Calgary Flames have two pre-season games remaining at the Scotiabank Saddledome before the start of the regular season on October 8th. Tuesday, September 27th the Flames host the New York Islanders and then conclude the pre-season on Thursday, September 29th against the Phoenix Coyotes.
Just thought I'd make a separate thread since Baertschi's out (not a huge surprise) and so is Mikkelson (sort of surprised, personally), and looks like it yet isn't Brodie's time to stay up with the club but he'll probably get another long look during the season as a call-up.

Last edited by Signature: 09-26-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:28 PM
tfong

vCash: 500
Just as I was posting

Byron is still up in main camp!

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:29 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Just as I was posting

Byron is still up in main camp!
And Horak who has been a pleasant surprise.

Looks like Henry is pushing for a spot on D.

Last edited by FLAMES666: 09-26-2011 at 02:34 PM.
FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:43 PM
neo45

From what I've seen so far Henry is a better option than Brodie or Mikkelson for the #6/7.

Still at 19 forwards, wow

So the D to start the year is:

Bo - Butler
Gio - Hannan
Henry - Babchuk
Smith

with Carson and Sarich returning for injuries fairly soon?

neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:49 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
From what I've seen so far Henry is a better option than Brodie or Mikkelson for the #6/7.
For sure, Brodie actually looked worse this year compared to last years pre season. He doesn't look to have improved much at all and his defensive play is still very questionable.

Old
09-26-2011, 02:58 PM
haQ Loob

These guys are actually listed as waived by TSN:

CGY- Stefan Meyer

CGY- Ben Walter

CGY- Brendan Mikkelson

CGY- Joe Piskula

CGY- Clay Wilson

True?

haQ Loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Signature
Disreputable User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haQ Loob View Post

CGY- Stefan Meyer

CGY- Ben Walter

CGY- Brendan Mikkelson

CGY- Joe Piskula

CGY- Clay Wilson

True?
Probably ineligible to go through reassignment without going through waivers first, that's all. I know that's got to be the case for at least Mikkelson and Meyer.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:24 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Henry has really impressed me.. Has stood out a lot more than brodie. Cant wait to see what Sven will do in the dub this year!

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:29 PM
The Gnome

really disapointed with Wilson and Brodie.

Henry has looked good so far and we are going to need someone to step up. I sure as hell hope that Smith is not on the opening night roster, great AHL material, but I don't see much more.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:50 PM
SmellOfVictory

Really hoping Brodie gets his head out of his @$$ this year and takes a step forward.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:50 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Does anyone else find it a tad suspicious that both prospects Feaster traded for are still up at camp? Horak and Byron.

I mean, Byron has looked really good and Horak has been good too but has he really played better than Bartschi or Rienhart?

Seems strange too me.

Also, really disappointed by Brodie, it was his spot to lose and he lost it.
Its not even that he played well and was outplayed he simply didn't play well.

Henry is a nice surprise but I don't think he will stick. Not enough upside. Excited to see what Sven will play like this year.

Does anyone know if Howse will be playing in the AHL this year?

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Does anyone else find it a tad suspicious that both prospects Feaster traded for are still up at camp? Horak and Byron.

I mean, Byron has looked really good and Horak has been good too but has he really played better than Bartschi or Rienhart?

Seems strange too me.

Henry is a nice surprise but I don't think he will stick. Not enough upside. Excited to see what Sven will play like this year.

after seasons of 47 and 51 goals, we might as well get Howse adjusting to the pro game. I say there's a very slim chance he ends back in the dub.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Flamesfan13

Good move by flames sending baertschi back to junior. Hope he scores 50 this year in the dub.

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Flames CBA Guy
Y is Colborne in SO?

vCash: 100
Quote:

Seems strange too me.

I don't, not really anyway. I am not surprised to see Byron still in camp, since he isn't playing for a type of role that Bartschi would be, for example. Byron will be playing the 3rd or 4th line if he makes the team, whereas Bartschi would have to be in the top 9 to be noticeable as a rookie.

That said, I'm going to be watching the Dub especially close this year to see Bartschi and Reinhart. Disappointed to hear about Brodie being sent back to the A...this is what happens when you become complacent.

Flames CBA Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:56 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:

Seems strange too me.

I find Horak staying up to be a tad suspicious, but not so much with Byron. Byron is NHL-ready (playing better than Stajan currently). Horak has looked good, but Baertschi and Reinhart have looked better and they were both sent back to junior.

Howse was assigned to the Heat. Looking forward to seeing if he can hack it at the next level.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:02 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
I find Horak staying up to be a tad suspicious, but not so much with Byron. Byron is NHL-ready (playing better than Stajan currently). Horak has looked good, but Baertschi and Reinhart have looked better and they were both sent back to junior.

Howse was assigned to the Heat. Looking forward to seeing if he can hack it at the next level.
Sutter was pretty high on Horak after last nights game, likes his compete level and was awesome in the faceoff dot. Bartschi is a winger so you can't really compare him with Byron and Horak, Reinhart was good but another year of junior will do him good. Thier is that center position available so Horak and Byron will be battling for it.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:06 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:

Seems strange too me.

Both Bartschi and Reinhart are already missing games with there respective clubs in the WHL, yes they have impressed but is it worth having them miss the start of there season for another two pre season games if there is no active roster spots realistically available for the two at this time?

I am truly impressed with Horak's face off abilities and poise in his own end, He could very well be NHL ready, Byron has certainly done enough in my mind to warrant another two game look.

They will both be competing with Stajan for the 3rd line center role in these final two games, should be fun to watch.

Its not suspicious at all, due to the fact these players have been far more impressive than the likes of Howse, Nemisz (although I thought he had a good camp), Brodie, Bancks, Wahl etc...They deserve the extra look.

The only issue I have with these cuts, is that Derek Smith some how survived and will remain with the club as a 7th defensemen until Carson/Sarich are ready to play. I thought Mikkelson would be a much better selection for that role.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
MVW

I don't find it suspicious, Horak and Byron are further along in their development than Reinhart and Baertschi and they are more NHL ready. That is not to say though that they will be better players.

I am really disappointed in Brodie. I was a huge supporter of him last season to make the team, and he just didn't show up like I thought he would of. He looked way better last season in both the prospect tourney and training camp. I'm disappointed but glad he got sent down. He is obviously not ready and his game/effort needs work. I still think he will be a good NHL dman, it just won't be this season.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:09 PM
neo45

I really liked the way Horak looked actually, I think he's gunna be a reliable 3rd line center. Don't see much top 6 potential though but I'm glad he gets one more game before going to the Heat. Should be a confidence booster too, and hopefully a wake-up call to Howse

Reinhart and Sven both looked good but might as well get them back to junior as quickly as you can. It was obvious neither could make the team

Henry looked NHL calibre from what I saw. Apparently he was in the best shape out of all the AHL guys during off season training. Way better than paying Pardy 2 mil for the same package

neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:38 PM
MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Henry looked NHL calibre from what I saw. Apparently he was in the best shape out of all the AHL guys during off season training. Way better than paying Pardy 2 mil for the same package
Yes, and Henry actually has a shot.

Old
09-26-2011, 10:38 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by haQ Loob View Post

CGY- Stefan Meyer

CGY- Ben Walter

CGY- Brendan Mikkelson

CGY- Joe Piskula

CGY- Clay Wilson

True?
I'm don't completely understand the intricacies of the CBA but I believe that any player not on an ELC needs to be waived after a certain point.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Sutter was pretty high on Horak after last nights game, likes his compete level and was awesome in the faceoff dot. Bartschi is a winger so you can't really compare him with Byron and Horak, Reinhart was good but another year of junior will do him good. Thier is that center position available so Horak and Byron will be battling for it.
Frankly if he can win faceoffs on a regular basis, I'd keep him around just for that.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:59 AM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Frankly if he can win faceoffs on a regular basis, I'd keep him around just for that.
This. We NEED to get better at faceoffs. Center depth is definitely s key component to having a decent team. For once, I'd actually like to see a Flame have a respectable face off percentage. I miss when Connie or Yeller took those important draws.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:31 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
+2 to that. This team needs a guy that can win FO's. Stajan is pretty good in the dot, but if we could actually have a good FO guy who has some compete in him then even better.

It's a double edged sword at this point, regarding stajan. Because if he losses his roster spot I'm guessing his value would plummet. Maybe we can get lucky when injuries hit a team that is hurting for centre depth.

But IMO, Byron has looked better. Stajan seems to have better tools but less compete / drive. I know which player I would rather have in my bottom six. Add the fact that Byron is fast as hell, something the flames lack.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:04 AM
MVW

The Flames cannot afford to send a team a draft pick to take Stajan. But possibly we could send them a prospect as an incentive. Just a thought?