HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Winter Classic

Old
09-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
OT: Winter Classic

I know there's been a couple threads made about it but I figured I'd start a new more recent one since they made the official announcement that it will be what we knew all along Rangers vs. Flyers at Citizens Bank Park.

Besides the fact that I hate both teams with a passion I think the NHL screwed up they should have picked a better time then 1pm on Monday Jan. 2nd. People are still going to be in work then and its going to get horrendous ratings. They should have made it at night or just sucked it up and competed with the NFL and kept it on the day its usually on, New Years Day.

Here's a little write up from NHL.com:

Quote:
NEW YORK -- The Philadelphia Flyers will host the New York Rangers at Citizens Bank Park™, home of the Philadelphia Phillies, in the 2012 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® on Monday, Jan. 2, at 1 p.m. ET, the National Hockey League announced today. The game will be broadcast live on NBC in the U.S. and on CBC and RDS in Canada. The League today also unveiled the official logo for the 2012 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® and the special team logos being used by the Flyers and Rangers.

The 2012 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® continues the tradition the NHL® has established of hosting a regular-season game outdoors at the onset of the new year to celebrate the origin and traditions of hockey.

"The Rangers-Flyers rivalry is one of our very best," said Gary Bettman, NHL Commissioner. "It is only a short distance from Broadway to Broad Street, and over the years, these not-so-neighborly teams have provided an assortment of memorable games. I have every expectation that the 2012 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic will provide more great moments to remember."

Division rivals since the 1974–75 season, the Rangers® and Flyers® become the closest geographic rivals to compete in the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic®. Their on-ice familiarity is a result of the fact that the Rangers are the Flyers' all-time most-common opponent in the regular-season (261 games) and Stanley Cup® playoffs series (10). While the teams last squared off in the playoffs in 1997, on the final day of the 2009-10 regular-season, the Flyers and Rangers played an historic "winner takes all" game to determine the lone remaining playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Tied 1-1 at the end of overtime, the Flyers prevailed in a shootout, starting their march to the conference championship.
Here's some pictures I found from the press conference:

I love the winter classic but it's tough to look forward to this one as an Isles fan haha.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Strummergas

vCash: 500
I think it's on a Monday for two reasons:

1. Because New Year's Day is on a Sunday, most jobs will have Monday as the observed holiday.

2. If they aired it on New Year's Day, it would be going up against the NFL and college bowl game, meaning no one is going to be watching the hockey game.

And I look forward to Philly kicking the **** out of the Rangers, just as I look towards anyone kicking the **** out of the Rangers.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Toujin

I think I might be the only Isles fan who is really looking forward to this. As a Philly-area native, a die-hard Phillies fan, and someone who loves watching the Rags lose, I will do everything I can to go. Unlike most of y'all, I have no disdain for the Flyers, and will be more than happy to go watch them beat the Raggers

Toujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Crispy385

Send a message via AIM to Crispy385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujin View Post
I think I might be the only Isles fan who is really looking forward to this. As a Philly-area native, a die-hard Phillies fan, and someone who loves watching the Rags lose, I will do everything I can to go. Unlike most of y'all, I have no disdain for the Flyers, and will be more than happy to go watch them beat the Raggers
I'll take it a step further. The Flyers are actually my second team, same division notwithstanding.

If and when we're good enough to warrant an invite to the Winter Classic, I'd like to see us wear a variant of the orange and black Long Island Ducks uniforms from long ago.

Crispy385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:51 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Yeah, can't wait to watch this crap. The NHL wants to create a more balanced league, but they keep putting in the same teams year after year, and why exactly does an overrated, barely 8th seed team over the last few years deserve a chance to play in the Classic? Is it because they sign all these over-the-hill free agents every single year and steal the headlines? Only to regret it by January?

Will ABSOLUTELY not watch this, and for all I care, let the place burn down.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Darth Bangkok

never watch the winter classic anyway. Can't the marketing.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Next year they really need to put two different teams in it if they keep recycling the same teams over and over again it's going to get old really fast. I would like to see a game Minnesota or Seattle some where different.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Crispy385

Send a message via AIM to Crispy385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
Next year they really need to put two different teams in it if they keep recycling the same teams over and over again it's going to get old really fast. I would like to see a game Minnesota or Seattle some where different.
Wild and Stars would be a nice one, especially if Dallas used the old North Star pattern/colors for their jersey. To a less extent, even Jets and Coyotes.

Crispy385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:59 PM
dcv2002

I'll be at work that day. I won't be watching...

dcv2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
I agree. We know for a fact that there will never be a Canadian team in it, but they should still be considering teams from the Western Conference.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:34 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
I agree. We know for a fact that there will never be a Canadian team in it, but they should still be considering teams from the Western Conference.
St. Louis vs Minnesota?

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:56 PM
hockeygoon15

Quote:
I think it's on a Monday for two reasons:

1. Because New Year's Day is on a Sunday, most jobs will have Monday as the observed holiday.

2. If they aired it on New Year's Day, it would be going up against the NFL and college bowl game, meaning no one is going to be watching the hockey game.

And I look forward to Philly kicking the **** out of the Rangers, just as I look towards anyone kicking the **** out of the Rangers.
They are actually playing the bowl games on the 2nd this year so they don't go against the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Yeah, can't wait to watch this crap. The NHL wants to create a more balanced league, but they keep putting in the same teams year after year, and why exactly does an overrated, barely 8th seed team over the last few years deserve a chance to play in the Classic? Is it because they sign all these over-the-hill free agents every single year and steal the headlines? Only to regret it by January?

Will ABSOLUTELY not watch this, and for all I care, let the place burn down.
= Ratings =

Quote:
The problem with the west coast teams is that - if I remember this correctly from NHL Live - Bill Daly has said that they want air temps no higher than 40 to maintain ice quality. I suppose that only applies to hosting the game though...

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote