HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sam Gagner

Old
09-26-2011, 05:01 PM
the word*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it good news that Gagner got the MRI today? Isn't there usually problems with swelling that would've pushed it to tomorrow like first mentioned this morning?
Yes, I thought of this immediately. Hopefully this is a good sign, sometimes they wont do the MRI for a week or more.

I researched high ankle sprains last year (because of Hall) and they can be determined by x-ray and/or physical examination due to the separation of the two leg bones, the tibia and fibula, intersecting at the ankle.

Meaning, they usually know if it's a high ankle sprain before the MRI. The MRI reveals the extent of the damage.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:08 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Might be a high ankle sprain.

What do the lines look like with him out?

Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky
Smyth-RNH-Eberle
PRV-Belanger-Omark
Eager-Brule/Lander-Jones

??

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Might be a high ankle sprain.

What do the lines look like with him out?

Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky
Smyth-RNH-Eberle
PRV-Belanger-Omark
Eager-Brule/Lander-Jones

??
I think your list of centres is bang on.

But I also think Hordichuk is going to be well ahead of Eager in 2 weeks time.

And thats a 180 for me...because when they signed him...I thought it was a waste of time & money.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:19 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post

And thats a 180 for me...because when they signed him...I thought it was a waste of time & money.
Based on what? Eager hasn't even had a chance to play, they didn't sign him to a 3 year contract to have him sitting in the pressbox on most nights. He's a lock for that 4th line spot for the majority of the season unless he completely falls out of favor with the coaches.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Based on what? Eager hasn't even had a chance to play, they didn't sign him to a 3 year contract to have him sitting in the pressbox on most nights. He's a lock for that 4th line spot for the majority of the season unless he completely falls out of favor with the coaches.
You answered your own question.

Old
09-26-2011, 06:30 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
So Whitney and Hemsky don't get spots either?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:39 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
I'm confused, are you saying that Hordichuk will wind up well ahead of Eager on the depth chart based on better play or that Hordichuk will take over Eager's spot because Eager will still be injured in 2 weeks?

Old
09-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Yeah, Hordichuk has impressed me with his ability just to make the smart steady play. Get it deep, or make the deft safe pass. He's showing a lot of confidence out there and a surprisingly crisp passing/transition game.

I watch Brule out there not having a clue what to do under pressure then watch Hordichuk who seems to have the game mapped out. Hordi is looking reliable . Not even taking into account the physical play and accountability on the ice.
He's playing smart, tough, veteran hockey.

I think we don't even remember what that looks like.

Last edited by Replacement: 09-26-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I'm confused, are you saying that Hordichuk will wind up well ahead of Eager on the depth chart based on better play or that Hordichuk will take over Eager's spot because Eager will still be injured in 2 weeks?
Hordichuk is playing like he's in mid season form and Eager won't even have had a chance to knock an offseason of rust off.

Rust never sleeps.

ps (To Joe) Hemsky and Whitney have a much higher baseline game and so they would have to be appreciably worse not to be of any value. Rust in a player like Eager renders him not very useful in the moment.
Hemsky and Whitney would still find a way while they reconnect their game.

Sorry for speaking on Everest's behalf(If I am) but I think I have his take on this.

Old
09-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Hordichuk is playing like he's in mid season form and Eager won't even have had a chance to knock an offseason of rust off.

Rust never sleeps.

ps (To Joe) Hemsky and Whitney have a much higher baseline game and so they would have to be appreciably worse not to be of any value. Rust in a player like Eager renders him not very useful in the moment.
Hemsky and Whitney would still find a way while they reconnect their game.

Sorry for speaking on Everest's behalf(If I am) but I think I have his take on this.
Exactly.

And add in the fact its not a broken finger Eager is dealing with. Its a concussion & everyone shudders at that word these days.

Therefore...the first & really only priority for him over the remainder of pre-season (at least) is going to be his health.

And like I said...its no problem...because as you acknowledge, Replacement, Hordy has come in here and taken a load off the mind(s) of the coaching staff.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:08 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Exactly.

And add in the fact its not a broken finger Eager is dealing with. Its a concussion & everyone shudders at that word these days.

Therefore...the first & really only priority for him over the remainder of pre-season (at least) is going to be his health.

And like I said...its no problem...because as you acknowledge, Replacement, Hordy has come in here and taken a load off the mind(s) of the coaching staff.
Understood and i like what Hordichuk has brought in the preseason as well but make no mistake, when Eager is healthy and ready to go, he will be playing on most nights ahead of Hordichuk.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Moneypuck

Isn't it better to break your ankle than it is to come back from a high ankle sprain? A busted ankle is usually 6-8 weeks, compared to a high ankle sprain can take as long as 6 months before it's 100% again.

I think the Oilers are better off with Lander in the lineup compared to 89 anyways, no big deal really.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Soundwave

Well I think that clears the path for RNH to get his 9 games for sure now if it's a high ankle sprain (emphasis on the word "if").

After that, they'll probably send RNH down to Red Deer and alternate between bringing up Lander or O'Marra until Gagner can go again.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

So do we have a timetable at this point? Short term Vs. Long Term?

09-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Well I think that clears the path for RNH to get his 9 games for sure now.

After that, they'll probably send RNH down to Red Deer and alternate between bringing up Lander or O'Marra until Gagner can go again.
I'm no Gagner fan but if we send RNH down and have O'Marra in a top 9 role at any point of the season we could very well be fighting for dead last again. Could we see RNH and Lander making the big squad with O'Marra in the PB and Brule on waivers?

Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
Smyth-RNH-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Lander-Omark
Eager-Belanger-Jones
Hordichuk, O'Marra

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
So do we have a timetable at this point? Short term Vs. Long Term?
When's exhibition season over?

Mark that down.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I'm no Gagner fan but if we send RNH down and have O'Marra in a top 9 role at any point of the season we could very well be fighting for dead last again. Could we see RNH and Lander making the big squad with O'Marra in the PB and Brule on waivers?

Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
Smyth-RNH-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Lander-Omark
Eager-Belanger-Jones
Hordichuk, O'Marra
I don't necessarily think RNH or Lander are going to lift us out of last place if that's where we're going to finish anyway.

By 9 games in, Gagner should be a lot closer to returning. Remember this year there's basically a week off in between the pre-season and regular season, so Sam's got some time to heal.

Old
09-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
I don't necessarily think RNH or Lander are going to lift us out of last place if that's where we're going to finish anyway.

By 9 games in, Gagner should be a lot closer to returning. Remember this year there's basically a week off in between the pre-season and regular season, so Sam's got some time to heal.
I think that RNH has a shot to help pull us out of last if he steps in seamlessly. Lander alone might not, but if the Swede line as a whole does well that could also help to pull us out of dead last. I'm not so sure that either of their total contributions would be all that much less than Gagner's would be to be honest.

Old
09-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
When's exhibition season over?

Mark that down.
So you think that he'll be back for game 1 of the season? If so he had better not rush back because a poor showing this year could punch his ticket out of town.

Old
09-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
So you think that he'll be back for game 1 of the season? If so he had better not rush back because a poor showing this year could punch his ticket out of town.
Well his name isn't Brule so I don't know about one way tickets quite yet but this is an important year for many Oilers.

Old
09-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I think that RNH has a shot to help pull us out of last if he steps in seamlessly. Lander alone might not, but if the Swede line as a whole does well that could also help to pull us out of dead last. I'm not so sure that either of their total contributions would be all that much less than Gagner's would be to be honest.
Honestly at this point I'm resigned to another bottom 5 finish, so I'm not really stressing out that much over the roster.

They can play RNH for 9 games, then bring up Lander for a couple and O'Marra for a few. By then Gagner is hopefully ready to go.

I'd be more concerned about Whitney at this point to be honest.

Old
09-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Honestly at this point I'm resigned to another bottom 5 finish, so I'm not really stressing out that much over the roster.

They can play RNH for 9 games, then bring up Lander for a couple and O'Marra for a few. By then Gagner is hopefully ready to go.

I agree that we probably end up bottom 5 again. That said this will be a good test for RNH. I also agree that Whitney is a much bigger loss than Gagner.

Old
09-26-2011, 08:25 PM
CupofOil

Quote:

I'm starting to not be concerned about Whitney because i honestly expect little from him this year even if he is deemed to be "healthy". At this point, if he's truly 100%, it's a bonus.
It's going to be another loooong year, we should just hope for some improvement from the youngsters because the positive results in the standings will likely not occur AGAIN this year.
Expect the worst, hope for the best. That should be the Oilers slogan.

Old
09-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Soundwave

I think Dubnyk honestly would make the biggest difference this year in terms of wins/losses. If he can bring his game up to another level, then I see a 10-14 point improvement, but even that ... doesn't exactly take us out of the lottery.

Old
09-26-2011, 09:08 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

It won't matter a whole lot if you shuffle around the centres if indeed Gagner is hurt for a moderate/long period....

Horcoff
Gagner
RNH
Belanger

vs

Horcoff
RNH
Belanger
Brule/Lander/Petrell/O'Marra

Those different centre lineups aren't going to make much difference compared to the **** show on defense on the Oilers. There is decent depth at the forward positions on the team with a good amount of legitimate talent to work with... not so on the d-core.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote