HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Sens Lineup/Roster thread part 3

Old
09-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Man I wish we could get rid of Kuba.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Okay, i'll take a crack.

Filatov-Spezza-Alfredsson
Michalek-Da Costa-Regin
Foligno-Smith-Neil
Condra-Konopka-Greening
Butler (Winchester when healthy)

Cowen-Gonchar
Phillips-Lee
Kuba-Karlsson
Carkner

Anderson
Auld

the winchester injury delays the tough decision of who to send down.
Ye I like these lines pretty good. Butler right now is a big question mark.

Patvolcom65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Afro Thunder*

vCash: 500
I will try this for the first 9 games.

Filatov-Spezza-Zibby (Filatov and Spez need a guy that goes on the boards and backchecks and he needs players who are speedy and can win the faceoffs)
Michalek-DaCosta-Alfie (Already showed chemistry)
Foligno-Regin-Condra-Butler (Already showed chemistry, Butler only replaces Condra if he picks it up these last two games)
Greening-Smith-Neil (This line was great against the Jets)
Konopa

Cowen-Gonchar
Philips-Lee
Rundblad-Karlsson
Kuba

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Regin-Spezza-Butler: I think the only way to maximize Butler is to play him with Spezza. Regin also had his best moments playing on his wing.

Foligno-Zibanejad-Alfi:A bit of everything on this line. All three players works hard, some skills, some speed and some sand paper.

Filatov-Da Costa-Michalek: Da Costa has shown chemistry with these two wingers throughout training camp. It also gives us a 3rd line that can score.

Smith-Konopka-Neil They win the face off then they break your face in.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:17 PM
operasen

Filatov-Spezza-Butler
Michalek-Da Costa-Alfredsson
Foligno-Smith -Neil
Greening -Regin -Condra
Konopka (Winchester?)

Cowen-Gonchar
Phillips-Lee
Kuba-Karlsson
Carkner

Anderson
Auld

I think Bultler starts with Spezza and if he does not produce goes down. I wish they could get Zibanejad to the AHL. He's not far off. Regin & DaCosta can flip as can Alfie and Butler

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Regin-Spezza-Butler: I think the only way to maximize Butler is to play him with Spezza. Regin also had his best moments playing on his wing.

Foligno-Zibanejad-Alfi: A bit of everything on this line. All three players works hard, some skills, some speed and some sand paper. At least for 9 games.

Filatov-Da Costa-Michalek: Da Costa has shown chemistry with these two wingers throughout training camp. It also gives us a 3rd line that can score.

Winchester as the 13th forward, Condra and Greening in Bingo.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post

Foligno-Zibanejad-Alfi:A bit of everything on this line. All three players works hard, some skills, some speed and some sand paper.

Winchester as the 13th forward, Condra and Greening in Bingo.
not happening, Condra and Greening would both have to clear waivers.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:31 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Filatov-Spezza-Butler
Michalek-Da Costa-Alfredsson
Foligno-Smith -Neil
Greening -Regin -Condra
Konopka (Winchester?)

Cowen-Gonchar
Phillips-Lee
Kuba-Karlsson
Carkner

Anderson
Auld

I think Bultler starts with Spezza and if he does not produce goes down. I wish they could get Zibanejad to the AHL. He's not far off. Regin & DaCosta can flip as can Alfie and Butler
I think this is pretty accurate.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:40 PM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

I'll have a crack:
Like others have said Butler will get a crack with Spezza early on in the piece so why not try the Greening-Spezza-Butler line again. With that in mind;

Greening-Spezza-Butler
Filatov-Regin-Alfie
Foligno-Dacosta-Michalek
Smith-Konopka-Neil

If the top line experiment doesn't work after about 3-5 games then I would send down/sit roll this:
Filatov-Spezza-Alfie
Regin-Dacosta-Michalek
Foligno-Smith-Condra
Greening-Konopka-Neil

Cowen-Gonchar
Kuba-Karlsson
Phillips-Lee

There are just so many variables with so many inexperienced players on the team. Any one of Butler, Dacosta, Filatov, Condra, Greening, Smith hell even Regin (doubt it) could stink it up.

I'm not classing one line as the first line over another, all should see relatively even ice time IMO

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
not happening, Condra and Greening would both have to clear waivers.
No they don't. Their one way contract means that they get paid the same salary in the AHL or NHL.

Old
09-26-2011, 08:30 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
No they don't. Their one way contract means that they get paid the same salary in the AHL or NHL.
Could have sworn Ron/Cassie were raving the fact that Greening will play in the NHL next year cause of his one way contract to Greening's father.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:32 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Could have sworn Ron/Cassie were raving the fact that Greening will play in the NHL next year cause of his one way contract to Greening's father.
It's more of an assumption. But a one way contract doesn't guarantee a roster spot, just an NHL salary.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:40 PM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Quote:
My understanding of the CBA is that both of them have to pass through waivers due to age, time of signature of their respective ELC's and the number of NHL games they have played.

On further investigation, I realised I'm worng and i think they will be waiver material later at the end of the season/later in the season depending on games played

Last edited by West Coast Eagles: 09-26-2011 at 08:45 PM.
West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Greening's got a 3 year 1-way deal. I'm going to guess that he's got a spot locked up.

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:49 PM
eyeno

a couple of miss matches

Quote:

First:Nick is not second line material never was he can play there perhaps if they need a fill in but thats it.Nick is not a good skater he struggles to keep up.Secondly I dont think Da Costa can keep up to Michalek and Filatov theres something about him that is doughy and soft not a MM type player.I can see MM driving to the net and being alone always when he gets there.Also what makes Filitov a so called star unproven as he is,here in Ottawa but the Blue Jackets sure didnt think so.And dont say he needed a fresh start somwhere, he hes only been around for 2 years

eyeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Double post

Last edited by Senateurs: 09-28-2011 at 07:49 AM. Reason: double post
Old
09-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeno View Post
First:Nick is not second line material never was he can play there perhaps if they need a fill in but thats it.Nick is not a good skater he struggles to keep up.Secondly I dont think Da Costa can keep up to Michalek and Filatov theres something about him that is doughy and soft not a MM type player.I can see MM driving to the net and being alone always when he gets there.Also what makes Filitov a so called star unproven as he is,here in Ottawa but the Blue Jackets sure didnt think so.And dont say he needed a fresh start somwhere, he hes only been around for 2 years
I don't agree with what you're saying about Foligno, he has played well with Alfi before.

As for da Costa-MM, I don't know what to say, da Costa has set him up for two goals and a few other chances. I think da Costa has shown more chemistry with Michalek than any other centre since he's been in Ottawa. As for Filatov, him and da Costa played well together during the scrimmages last week. I'm trying to imagine Filatov going around the net and feeding a MM coming into the slot.

Old
09-26-2011, 09:33 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Of course they do. Doesn't mean that they aren't also subject to waivers as well...

This gets posted every year so I'm sure it will again but this is how waiver eligibility is determined:

Depending on the age as determined above, a player is waiver eligible for a certain number of years from the year in which he signed his first contract, as shown below.

Skaters
Age Years
18 5*
19 4*
20 3
21 3
22 3
23 3
24 2
25+ 1

For anyone 20 or older, the year in which they play their first professional game is considered the first year counting towards the number of years they are exempt from waivers.

*If an 18 or 19 year old plays in 11 or more NHL games in a season, then the eligible period drops to 4 years for a goalie and 3 years for a skater, with the first year of that period being the year in which the player played 11 or more games.

Once a player reaches a threshold (based on the age at which they signed their first professional contract), they are eligible for waivers. The language of the CBA is very clear that while there are two distinct thresholds, this is an "earliest of" scenario. If a player reaches their games played mark before the reach the years mark (or vice versa), they become eligible for waivers.

Skaters
Age Games
18 160
19 160
20 160
21 80
22 70
23 60
24 60
25+

Professional Games is typically defined as all NHL regular season and playoff games. However, for players older than 20 years of age, the definition expands to include AHL regular season and playoff games, as well as any other professional game played in Europe while the player is under contract to an NHL team but on loan to a European club. A 25 year old or older basically gets his first year waiver eligible and that's it.

So....

Bobby Butler: age 24, professional games 85 = eligible for waivers
Colin Greening: age 25, professional games 83 = eligible for waivers
Eric Condra: age 25, professional games 161 = eligible for waivers
Zack Smith: age 23, professional games 240 = eligible for waivers
Kaspars Daugavins: age 23, professional games 169 = eligible for waivers

Anyone currently still on their ELC (eg. Filatov, Petersson, Da Costa, O'Brien, Karlsson, Rundblad, Cowen etc.) are waiver-exempt.

There's a good reason why Greening, Smith, Butler and Condra all got 1 way contracts this offseason. It's because the team knew that they probably wouldn't be able to send them down to the AHL without risking losing them on waivers to another team so they gave them the guaranteed money in exchange for multi-year deals in order to hopefully have them at bargain prices in the following years if they excelled this year in the NHL (they did the same thing with Brian Lee and Matt Carkner in previous years).

Last edited by DefenseMinister: 09-26-2011 at 10:55 PM.
DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:43 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Man, I wish people would shut the **** up about Kuba already. He can be a bench warmer all year, and would still help the team meet the cap. At the end of the day, the best we can hope for is a pick for him if he performs in the limited amount of games he plays this season.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

Greening/Butler-Spezza-Filatov
Michalek-Da Costa-Alfie
Foligno-Regin-Condra
Smith-Konopka/Winchester-Neil
Butler,Winchester

Patvolcom65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:03 AM
TooLow494

has anyone noticed if MaClean put Michalek on the right wing this preseason?

TooLow494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino5000 View Post
has anyone noticed if MaClean put Michalek on the right wing this preseason?
don't think he has. Filatov-Spezza-Michalek would be an interesting line to see. (creates a problem with the RWs on the other lines though)

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Rundblad is starting on the left side again tonight, and Filatov is playing RW

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Karl Cowensson
Two Headed Monster!

Unfortunately for Michalek our weakness is on the left side. Even if he's not at his best there, he's still out best option there.

Filatov-Spezza-Butler
Michalek-Da Costa-Alfie
Foligno-Regin-Condra
Greening-Smith-Neil

I think this is what we see for the first 9 games. Just can't see Konopka taking a spot from the youth, he's here for veteran leadership and a plug for injuries. Not sure how Da Costa will hold up in an actual NHL game, but he's certainly impressed the most. If he can't cut it, Konopka goes in and Regin and Smith are bumped up. In fact, him, Regin and Filatov have all had good camps so far. If Regin could just win faceoffs he'd be looking like a shoe in as the second line C. Really hoping ZBad can be persuaded to stay in the AHL with Petersson, he'd be ok developing in the SEL, but would benefit more in the AHL. Same goes for Rundblad.

Karl Cowensson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Afro Thunder*

If Regin gets injured.

Filatov-Spezza-Zibby
Michalek-DaCosta-Alfie
Foligno-Smith-Neil
Greening-Konopa-Condra/Daugavins

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote